Recipes For Disaster

Recipes For Disaster

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Sexilicious Romantic Comedy Combined with Fab, Fun Recipes

She's a single. He's a widower. She wants him. He wants her. She wants to impress. So does he. There's just one catch – she can't cook. To get him, she needs to get past the big fish – his mother. Lucky her, she's got an Ace up her sleeve and all she's got to do is impress this one time. Bad luck, though, her new gu...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Safkhet Soul (first published January 24th 2012)

Patricia
Cooks and non-Cooks - this book is for you!

A novel and a cookbook all in one!

My review is posted on my blog:

Please drop by my blog, and leave a comment or two!

All is appreciated!

Patricia
Stephanie Keyes
I have to admit, that I am one of the last people to pick up a romance. I've just read so many of them that it's not my first genre of choice these days. However, one week, when I was sick and feeling particularly low, I really needed a lift. The lift came in the form of Recipes For Disaster by Sheryl Brown, which I'll admit had been on my TBR list must longer than it should have. Why? Because of my romance evasion.

The story is told from multiple angles, Lisa, Adam, and Becky, Lisa's close frien...more
Dizzyc
Lisa has a new boyfriend, Adam, a police officer. Adam comes with an over-protective mother who cannot remember Lisa's name. Well she cannot compare to Adam's late wife Melissa, who was an excellant cook.

Adam and his mother believe Lisa is a great cook after a misunderstanding. Lisa believes she needs to keep up the charade to compare with Adam's great cooking skills and those of his late wife. Adam doesn't want Lisa to know he cannot cook to her standards. A recipe for disaster!

Lisa agrees to c...more
Silvana
Lisa is dating with Adam and she is desperate cooker. With help of her best friend Becky she prepares a diner for Adam and his mother. The pressure is on high level because Adam’s late wife was a brilliant cooker. After that Adam and his mother thinks that Lisa knows to cook very well.
Adam also feels a pressure to cook good to impress Lisa, because he thinks that Lisa is an expert in cookery.
In this confusion are Lisa’s little dog Rambo and Adam’s parrot Flint and on their behaviour I laughed...more
Linn Halton
More please!

This book is LITERALLY delicious! The recipes are well worth a try even if you aren't usually a dab hand in the kitchen - yes, I've tried one! I couldn't stop myself thinking that this book is a romantic comedy waiting to be turned into a TV sitcom. The characters are as zany as they come and you can't help but feel sorry for poor Adam - Lisa IS rather like a whirlwind and then there's his mother 'her Maj' ... But the person who really stole the show, and I have to say that the gorg...more
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
Lisa has met a lovely new man, Adam, the only snag is his mother Isabelle, so to try and win her round, Lisa offers to cater for Isabelle’s golf club event, but she can’t cook!

This is a light, humorous, sexy, entertaining story, with punchy, fast-paced dialogue, steamy romance, with the added ingredient of delicious recipes and pictures interspersed amongst, and incorporated into, the story. The addition of Lisa’s pet dog Rambo and Adam’s pet parrot Flint add to the humour and hilarity of the st...more
Sue Uden
Being a bit long in the tooth for cavorting in the kitchen with a man in a pinny, I have to confess that Recipes for Disaster is not the sort of book that I would normally have picked. But thanks to Sheryl's light and easy writing style and massive sense of comedy it was just the thing to lighten a rainy Sunday afternoon. Without giving out any spoilers I was relieved that all Lisa's tribulations were not in vain. But I do hope for her and Adam's sake that she will go on to cure Rambo's little p...more
Victoria
What a Delightfully Delicious Romp in the Kitchen

If you like to cook and love a little delectable romance, this book is perfect.

Lisa wants to impress Adam and he wants to impress her. Each thinks the other can cook and she agrees to cater an affair for his decidedly stiff and every-so-proper mother’s golf club.

Add in a spoonful of courage from Lisa’s best friend, Becky, who really is the behind the scenes cook, a generous cupful of a scrumptious photographer, who has his lens focused on Becky, a...more
Kim Maya Sutton
When I asked Sheryl if she could write a romcom around some recipes, I wasn't sure if she thought I'd lost my whisks... She accepted and said, she'd give it a try. What came of it made me fall in love with Sheryl and romcom! So much so that I decided to start a new imprint just so that I could give her and her books a proper home!
I wasn't an avid romcom reader before Sheryl but now, I am a convert and happily so. It is just amazing how she wrote her story around the recipes I provided and that w...more
Maureen Vincent-Northam
When Lisa sets out to make a good impression on Adam by providing the food for his mother’s golf do, one disaster strikes after another. What she hasn’t told Adam or his dragon of a mother is that she’s actually hopeless at cooking.

Will Lisa, helped out by her best friend - Becky, who’s having her own relationship calamities - win through? This book, told from three different viewpoints (Lisa, Becky and Adam), was a delight to read and so funny. Not simply a romantic romp but the recipes Becky s...more
Georgina Kamsika
When Sheryl mentioned she was writing a rom com book stuffed with recipes, I must admit I had no idea how it'd work. Then I finally sat down with my kindle and devoured the book in one sitting! Such a great idea, mixing up these kind of ingredients - one lovable but insecure woman, one hot but nervous bloke, one annoying (potential) mother-in-law and one scruffy but cute dog. I'd say it's a recipe for success!

Throw in her fabulous best friend, and you've got comedy, tragedy and romance galore. I...more
Maggie
Recipes for Disaster is a madcap comedic romance centered on a mutually attracted couple who can’t cook, and a big celebration they have to cook for. You can’t help but root for this pair to win the day, along with a mischievious Jack Russell named Rambo. Recipes are sprinkled liberally throughout the book, and I plan to try them out. I can’t wait for Sheryl’s next fun adventure.
Elle Amberley
A recipe for success! Very funny and full of recipes.
This was different from books I’ve read recently, I do like variety.
Currently reading the author’s latest novel.
Nikki Bywater
Take two people Lisa and Adam at the beginning of their relationship, mix together with an interfering, overprotective mum. Add one extremely lively Jack Russell named Rambo, and a pet parrot called Flint. Blend in a best friend; throw in some mayhem, madness and a misunderstanding, which leads to two hopeless cooks, Lisa and Adam doing the cooking for a fancy lunch at a golf club, bring to the boil with an extremely funny storyline that will have you laughing out loud.

This is wonderful, witty b...more
Lindsay
This was the first book passed to me for review by Love a Happy Ending so was keen to read what they'd recommend.

This is a light, easy quick rom com of a read intermingled with lots of recipes. Basically Lisa wants to impress new beau Adam and his mother with her culinary skills - unfortunately she doesn't have any and neither does he. The book revolves around this big do at the golf club that Lisa managed to get herself roped into catering and with the help of her best friend Becky we're given...more
Louise Graham
Sheryl has written a book, whilst short, it is packed with very funny lines and situations. All set over a couple of days with just a handful of characters, a dog and a parrot as desperate to get a Golf club dinner prepared by people that clearly can’t cook.

This is a classic do they get together or don’t they. Not helped by an interfering Mother and a crude Parrot and an over pampered pocket-sized pooch! Not being a dog lover, I would have happily locked the cat flat after Rambo went into the ga...more
Petra Rovere
What happens when two non-cookers brag about that they can cook? And they don't admit to each other this is a big fat lie?
And the reason for this are 'Her Maj' (his mother) and a 'gentle spirit in the sky' (his deceased wife.

Well if you are interested, you just have to take Recipes For Disaster into your hands and read for yourself. I guarantee you, even if you don't cook, you will just have to try some of the real and tasty recipes that are in the book.

The story is told by three people what ma...more
Kathy
Sheryl did a wonderful job of combining the romantic comedy storyline with a cookbook venue. While intriguing I wasn't sure she would be able to carry it off but she did. The characters are interesting, the romances moved right along (wow!) and the recipes sound very delicious--just wish I had someone here to cook them for me! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and highly recommend anyone who enjoys a romantic comedy with a twist.

**Disclaimer** This book was given to me in exchange for an unbiased...more
Brian Pratt
When I came across this book I did not think that it was the type of book a guy would read, but how wrong can you be? A light but witty and observational book, it is a really excellent read and the recipes lie within it in a natural and complimentary way. We have tried out the Drunken Chicken thinking that there are no more chicken experiences to be had, but it was both different and delicious! Overall, an unexpected but great addition to the male bookshelf!
Jarakelian
I think it might have been a good concept but needed more editing and development.
JB
Review to follow
Derell
Derell marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Lisa (scarlet21)
Lisa (scarlet21) marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Janne Fret
Janne Fret marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Natasha Smith
Natasha Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chick Lit: Celebrating Launch Day! 3 27 May 05, 2012 12:27PM
I’m an author, writing fabulous, funny, thrilling modern romance. My first book, Recipes for Disaster, commissioned by Safkhet Publishing, was shortlisted for the Innovation in Romantic Fiction Award. I now have six books published with Safkhet Publishing. A contributing editor at Lovehappyending Lifestyle magazine and a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, I grew up in Birmingham, UK....more
More about Sheryl Browne...
Somebody to Love A Little Bit of Madness Warrant for Love Learning to Love The Edge of Sanity