Start by marking “Springvloed” as Want to Read:

Springvloed (Ruth Galloway #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  5,744 ratings  ·  529 reviews
Forensisch archeologe Ruth Galloway wordt ingeschakeld als op een strand zes oude lijken worden gevonden die schotwonden vertonen. Samen met haar vriend inspecteur Nelson ontdekt ze dat het om Duitse soldaten gaat. Als ze op zoek gaat naar voormalige leden van de Burgerwacht, worden die een voor een gedood. Derde boek in een reeks rondom Ruth dat zelfstandig gelezen kan wo ...more
Published 2011 by De Kern

To ask other readers questions about Springvloed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Springvloed

This is the third book in this series. I enjoyed it less than the first two I read, so allow me to elaborate a bit on them.

The first book, The Crossing Places, was very chilling, and included pagan lore, history, and archaeology. I fell in love with the descriptions of the freezing salt marshes, the birds, the lonely cottage. The Janus Stone included Roman history, which I'm very interested in. I think the real pull for me with these books was the inclusion of my interests in great mystery plots
Truth or Legend?

“The House at Sea’s End” is another fun Griffiths’ mystery. Archeologist professor and sometime police adviser Ruth Galloway is in the throes of new motherhood as she turns 40. She’s feeling happy but a bit freaked out trying to do it all by herself. She doesn’t want the father’s help so she muddles on. Then a friend from decades past who she’s shared some traumatic history with invites herself on an extended stay with Ruth. They met on a Bosnian dig where their goal was to recov
I couldn't put this book, the 3rd in the series, down! I stumbled on this author by accident. Each book has not failed to grab my imagination. Her main character, Ruth Galloway, a forensic anthropologist,is down to earth, flawed, intelligent,a self doubting human being with a heart of gold. Ruth finds her way through life as best she can. Just like the rest of us.
In this installment, on the coast of Norfolk, we are returned to a time of fear and hatred during WWII. When six decomposed bodies are
Interestingly, my reaction to this one is identical to my reaction to The Crossing Places, the only other book in this series that I've read: I loved everything about it except the face-to-face show down between Ruth Galloway and the villain.

The plot is fascinating, and the characters are empathetic. Physical heroics are the one unbelievable aspect of Ruth; Griffiths should just let Ruth be the fat, middle-aged, intelligent, interesting, successful woman that she is. Confrontations with murderer
Återigen en mycket bra deckare av Elly Griffiths! Jag gillar verkligen hennes sätt att skriva och relationen mellan Ruth och Nelson. Ser fram emot att fortsätta läsa serien! Länk till recensionen:
I've been a huge fan of the Ruth Galloway mysteries since the first, Crossing Places, was released mostly due to the protagonist herself. A single, approaching-middle age forensic archaeologist in England, I wouldn't call Ruth a flawed character although she is far from perfect. She's simply normal. And that is why I continue to love her. A single mom, never married, unsure how she feels about the (married) father of her child and just muddling through life, Ruth is just like so many of the rest ...more
I read through all three of these in less than a week, and now I want to go back to the beginning and read them again, to enjoy the writing, the story, the characters and the settings. Fascinating information about forensic archaeology, not too detailed for a mystery, but enough to teach something new.

Highly recommended!!
Susan Johnson
I am enjoying this series more and more with each new book. Ruth Galloway is a forensics anthropologist in Norfolk, England. She has just given birth to her daughter, Kate, and is really at a loss on the proper techniques of motherhood. She lives in her isolated house with no close neighbors.

This book deals with the six dead men found on the beach of a secluded town. The nearest house is falling into the ocean due to erosion. A team of university surveyors find the bodies as they study the eff
I enjoyed this book, the third in the series. The story is different to the preceding two and I enjoyed it immensely.

This one is about the find of six skeletons at the bottom of some eroded cliffs and it is thought they are from the WW2. It is very sad in places and I liked the 1940s references very much as Ruth and Nelson closed in on the truth.

Ruth and Nelson are feeling like old friends to me now, and I like both characters very much.

On the negative side, the constant references to Ruth being
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

I enjoy this series but have to say this third book was not up to par with the first two books. The book's focus was on a case from the past which wasn't entirely all that exciting. The police investigation leads to witnesses and people involved turning up dead and the police believe they have a killer on their hands who doesn't want the truth of the past to become known. This case is a little more interesting but the two are inseparably intertwined.

Luanne Ollivier
I was captured by Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series from the first book, The Crossing Places and the second - The Janus Stone.

So I settled in to read the third - The House at Sea's End - knowing before turning a page that I would enjoy it.

Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway is ready to return to work from maternity leave. When a local research team discovers a skeleton during an erosion study in Norfolk, Ruth is called in. When they delve further into the little cave where the body seems to
This is the third Ruth Galloway novel, and she is turning into one of my very favorite characters. I love that she's not physically perfect, and like all of us, feels intimidated by perfection. But at the same time, she is enormously accepting of herself and only gives minimal time to feelings of guilt where food is concerned. She has a great mind, and passion for her subject of forensic archaeology. And now she is a single mother, she also suffers from that weakness of all mothers, GUILT. She's ...more
John Wiltshire
Finished The Janus Stone (Book 2) and clicked straight onto this one (don't you just love Kindles?). I loved the opening to this third in the Ruth Galloway series. (view spoiler) ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is the third in the Ruth Galloway series, but my first Elly Griffith read. I had seen good reviews of the series, but was avoiding them because they sounded little "dry" to me. Believe me, this book was anything but.

This was easily read as stand a alone book - certainly I did not feel that I had missed out on anything by not reading the previous two. Although having said that, I am now going to go back and read them, having enjoyed this one so much.

A team of archaeologists investigating coa
Kim Kimselius
Huset vid havets slut av Elly Griffiths är tredje boken i serien om arkeologen Ruth Galloway och kommissarie Nelson.

Ruth har precis fått barn, pappan är kommissarie Nelson, som är lyckligt gift och har två barn med sin fru. Ruth klarar sig själv, hon behöver inte ha någon hjälp, men när arbetet pockar på uppmärksamhet upptäcker Ruth att det inte alltid är så lätt att kombinera småbarn och arkeologi.

När benen efter flera mördade personer upptäcks i en grotta, tar Ruth del i upptäckten, vilket för
Started the third book of the series with a slight sense of foreboding. Would there be the 'too much of a good thing' issue that you often get with series? Yes, as it turns out.

I was already feeling a bit fed up with the whole 'I'm so fat and I'm a terrible mother' routine that Ruth carries on with, as it's starting to get a bit tedious to be honest. This book continued with that same theme.

Another thing, how thick are the people around Ruth and DCI Nelson? The way they constantly try to hide th
A new to me author is Elly Griffiths author of a series of mysteries featuring detective Ruth Galloway. I came upon Elly and Ruth while browsing at my local. The cover of their latest book , The House atSea’s End, hit a number of my impulse purchase buttons. The unevent typeface, house of nooks and crannies, the cliff, the stone barrier, the sea and the almost monochromatic tone of the palette all combine in a siren song way for me.

Ruth is a forensic archaeologist. Her Born Again parents have le
Jenn Ravey
The sea holds secrets, but it also uncovers them. An archaeological team studying and mapping the erosion of the Norfolk coast makes a ghastly discovery: at least two skeletons are evident in a portion of the cliff face. Dr. Ruth Galloway is once again called away from her work to assist the police. After her work in Serbia, helping to identify bodies in mass graves, Ruth knows a thing or two about piecing together skeletons, even six of them. Ruth's testing reveals the men were from Germany an ...more
Elly Griffiths books are like my guilty pleasure without the guilt; I devour them and am always left wanting more.

The House at Sea’s End is the third book in the Ruth Galloway series. Ruth is a Forensic Archaeologist who lives on the Norfolk coast and examines bones for a living, sometimes having to help the police in their serious crimes unit to establish what may have happened to bones that can’t be immediately identified by the police. Ruth Galloway is one of my favourite crime heroines: she
The third in Ruth Galloway book is a wonderful addition to the series. There are several things I love about these books: the setting (bleak English coast), Ruth's job (forensic anthropology), and the characters. They are regular human beings - no one is a super hero - they could be the people you see on the bus every morning, just going about their lives.

In this installment, Ruth is back from maternity leave and is juggling her feelings about new motherhood with going back to teaching and catch
If I hadn't agreed to review Elly Griffiths' The House at Sea's End (Houghton Mifflin 2011), I might have stopped reading after a handful of pages, but I did promise so I read on. By page seven, that turned out to be a good decision.

You see, the first six pages were more like the character-centric and emotion-driven writing of literary fiction than the action-intensive plot I'd expect from an author who won the Mary Higgins Clark Award for an outstanding suspense novel. Nothing grabbed me by the
When this third book staring forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway starts, Ruth is just back from maternity leave and still getting used to being little Kate's mother.
When a team of archaeologists surveying the coast line discover six bodies, Ruth is called to the scene. When it is determined that the bodies are those of young man who were shot at close range sometime in the 1940's, Ruth finds herself involved in another investigation lead by DCI Nelson, something which leaves Ruth with mixed fe
Elly Griffiths is one of my favorite authors. I first met Ruth Galloway in “The Crossing Places.” I immediately fell in love with the character. So, I have followed the series with delight.
I was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to read “The House at Sea’s End” by NetGalley. I loved it from the first paragraph. In my mind’s eye, I could see the big house on the cliff, feel the cold wind and see the waves coming in. The plot was right up there with her previous books. It was tense an
Mandie Kok
Five stars for that ending alone!

To be perfectly honest, the murder plot in this installment was a bit dull for me. It had to do with war crimes and the current time villain's motivations were sketchy at best. That doesn't matter, though, because things are developing between Ruth and Harry!

The little teaser at the end really did it for me, I have to read the next book right now.
I am going to give this FIVE stars because I have fallen in love with the characters in this series. I am reading bk 4 now. These stories brought me away from knitting for a while and back to READING which I LOVE. I have been tearing through them. I call this a bender. More later.
My favorite of Elly Griffith's three books so far, I love Ruth and Nelson and the atmospheric setting, especially the part with the snow storm, I just wanted to be there with them !
The small town where I work has a very rich historical past and every time they dig to begin foundations for new buildings , they have to stop for a while because they come upon great archeological finds... Since I have been recently given this new file to work on, to my utmost pleasure, I had to go on the site three
A fun mystery with a likeable protagonist. Some of the prose is a bit awkward but the story is an enjoyable ride. I tried another in the series, however, and put it down. Not sure if this is the one standout or the author fell into the series mill.
John Carter McKnight
An excellent entry in a wonderful series. Griffiths balances character development, atmosphere and plot effectively, moving along the personal story of heroine Ruth Galloway, 40ish British forensic anthropologist and occasional police consultant.

The mystery here is well-handled, the setting tremendously atmospheric, the pace brisk. Several scenes are tremendously vivid and tense, terrific thriller writing.

Griffith shows a side of British culture I hadn't encountered before, one where the wound
This is the third and now my favorite in Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series. The characters continue to develop, both the primary and the many good and important secondary ones. I really like the windswept and somewhat bleak Norfolk setting that seems to add to the story. Here, the personal details of the protagonists' lives become as important as the mystery and as complicated. I don't want to give any plot points away for anyone who hasn't read any of the books yet, but I highly recommend it to m ...more
English Mysteries...: April 2015 - The House at Sea's End 17 84 May 15, 2015 10:58AM
  • Lake of Sorrows (Nora Gavin, #2)
  • Red Bones (Shetland, #3)
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • The Risk of Darkness (Simon Serrailler, #3)
  • Sacrifice
  • A Small Death in the Great Glen
  • The Secrets of Pain (Merrily Watkins, #11)
Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels take for their inspiration Elly's husband, who gave up a city job to train as an archaeologist, and her aunt who lives on the Norfolk coast and who filled her niece's head with the myths and legends of that area. Elly has two children and lives near Brighton. Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel.

More about Elly Griffiths...

Ruth Galloway (8 books)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway #2)
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway #4)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway #5)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6)
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway #7)
  • The Woman in Blue
The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1) The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway #2) A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway #5) A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway #4) The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6)

“Class is a stronger social adhesive than nationality.” 0 likes