Start by marking “Big Data” as Want to Read:
Big Data

Big Data

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Services like social networks, web analytics, and intelligent e-commerce often need to manage data at a scale too big for a traditional database. As scale and demand increase, so does Complexity. Fortunately, scalability and simplicity are not mutually exclusive—rather than using some trendy technology, a different approach is needed. Big data systems use many machines wor ...more
Published September 2012 by Manning (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Big Data, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Data

Szymon
Feb 11, 2014 Szymon rated it it was ok
Shelves: big-data
The first chapter is definitely worth reading. Maybe second one too. The rest is way too focused on specific technologies. And so it happens, the technologies happen to be created by the authors. Too much advertising, not enough of the big picture.
Gaelan D'costa
Sep 14, 2014 Gaelan D'costa rated it really liked it
This book was my first exposure to an architecture for dealing with large amounts of data in a holistic way; while I'm familiar with individual concepts like MapReduce, Column Stores, CAP, etc... I've never thought about them all at as part of the same ecosystem. As such, my rating is based on the accessibility and readability of the book, not of the correctness and feasibility of the content.

This is the kind of technology stack my current employer is forming a business around and I want to get
Selim Ober
Feb 20, 2016 Selim Ober rated it liked it
As written on several other reviews, this book tells a story of one, opinionated approach to the problems in Big Data domain. The author, also the creator of many tools in the same domain explains the Lambda Architecture and how can it be used to solve problems faced in realtime data systems.

I enjoyed the book. He goes with one theoretical chapter following by an illustration chapter where he goes into the implementation of the previous one. I've read the first 4-5 chapters throughly, then read
Sebastian Gebski
May 13, 2015 Sebastian Gebski rated it really liked it
Controversial book.

1. Worst title ever. If it wasn't Nathan Marz (father of Storm), I'd never pick it up.
2. It's not just bad title - this book is NOT about Big Data - or rather, it's about one particular "pattern" of Big Data usage - Lambda Architecture.
3. It's great in terms of distributed processing / storage considerations - best micro-batching description / analysis ever
4. Particular product (Kafka, Hadoop, Storm) descriptions are ... controversial. Not a deep dive, but author(s) don't cons
Terry
Nov 10, 2012 Terry rated it liked it
Mind turned to mush after chapter 3 . First 3 chapters are kick ass, then I began to wander. It is as though he is channelling Perl programming; wherein everything makes sense as you code, but later on you lack context and rationale. What is "Pail?" How are you supposed to run it? The code samples are all Java, so you better know that before even bothering to read this. It may get better, but I don't have the stomach, nor the time for this.
Horia
Dec 04, 2015 Horia rated it liked it
This is a book about Lambda Architecture and how it is used in the context of Big Data.
I enjoyed reading about lambda architecture and other related concepts and found them useful since I was a complete beginner in this domain.

The first few chapters are definitely worth the read, the rest of the chapters I consider architecture reference material (too detailed to be remembered and, at the same time, requiring knowledge about the technologies being discussed). There were quite a few moments whi
Zbyszek Sokolowski
Oct 22, 2015 Zbyszek Sokolowski rated it liked it
Shelves: java, programing, big-data
The title of the Book by famous Nathan Marz is just misleading. It is not about Big Data but about Nathan Lambda architecture I've read it from cover to cover. And I have mixed feelings about book. From one hand he explained a lot of big data concepts but rest is about implementation of his architecture using mostly with tools created by the author. And he focuses too much on his example which in turn makes book too closely tight to certain idea. He also mentioned optimizations which could be ac ...more
Daniel Kummer
Feb 22, 2016 Daniel Kummer rated it liked it
Shelves:
The motivation and concept of the lambda architecture is great. It is also really well explained - in the first chapter. The following chapters did not add much in my eyes and should have been condensed *a lot*. I did not finish the last chapter yet.
Pandeeswaran Bhoopathy
Jun 22, 2015 Pandeeswaran Bhoopathy rated it really liked it
Nice work on explaining the details of lambda acrchitecture in an elegant way . I have come to know some of the technologies such as thrift, JCascalog and Pail while reading this book. This provides me a great opportunity on investigating further about the aforementioned technologies. I recommend this book to all level of audience from novice to expert in big data implementation.
Anosh
Oct 12, 2015 Anosh rated it really liked it
This is a book about "Lambda Architecture".
Bugzmanov
Feb 15, 2015 Bugzmanov rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The book was super interesting and exciting when they started it (3 years ago), but it's "meh" and I would say some of technologies that looked promising 3 years ago, are not doing well nowadays.
Anyway, I'm giving it 4 stars because of the excitement I was having reading it 3 years ago.

But you should definitely read critics of proposed approach http://radar.oreilly.com/2014/07/ques...
Ana Todor
Aug 09, 2014 Ana Todor rated it really liked it
Very good to get a general overview on big data, but way too focused on specific technologies. Worth reading the theory, but only breeze through the code if you are using different technologies.
Jonathan Harrington
Nov 11, 2015 Jonathan Harrington rated it liked it
Waited to read the final version in the end, some good take aways.
Bilal Salih
Dec 15, 2012 Bilal Salih rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
this is a useful book, really simple and clear
Michael
Sep 07, 2012 Michael marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
Reading the draft as it's written.
Ignacy
Sep 12, 2013 Ignacy rated it it was amazing
The best book on the subject.
Alish Firasta
Mar 16, 2013 Alish Firasta is currently reading it
great
Anirudha Nanda
Anirudha Nanda is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Jan
Jan is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Tien Phat Nguyen
Tien Phat Nguyen is currently reading it
Saurabh Bajpai
Saurabh Bajpai marked it as to-read
Gobbledigook
Gobbledigook marked it as to-read
Mayank Jain
Mayank Jain marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Daniel Bradberry
Daniel Bradberry marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ashish
Ashish marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Ylli
Ylli marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Subramanya Suresh
Subramanya Suresh marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Viktor Pishchulin
Viktor Pishchulin is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Mohammad Reza
Mohammad Reza marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
  • Learn you some Erlang for great good!
  • Mining of Massive Datasets
  • Machine Learning in Action
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • Learning Spark
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • MapReduce Design Patterns: Building Effective Algorithms and Analytics for Hadoop and Other Systems
  • Functional Programming in Scala
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • The Joy of Clojure
  • R in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Clojure In Action
  • Clojure Programming
  • Programming Erlang
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Erlang and OTP in Action
  • Distributed Systems For Fun and Profit
  • Programming Clojure

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »