Start by marking “The Trouble with Nightingale” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Nightingale

The Trouble with Nightingale

When eighteen-year-old Millie Scrubbings moves to new digs on East London’s Nightingale Estate, she believes she’s finally closed the door on a childhood dictated by strangers. But overnight, her peaceful high-rise turns bonkers, and a series of grisly murders leaves Millie frightened and more helpless than ever.

Millie must accept her lead role in rescuing Nightingale fro
ebook, First Edition, 38 pages
Published January 20th 2011 by Musa Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Nightingale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Nightingale

J.D. Field
Jan 31, 2012 J.D. Field rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely, quirky, gothic read. Amaleen Ison perfectly blends a gritty, realistic view of suburban London with classic images and ideas of the inferno, demons, portals, and sorcery.
I loved the guinea pig side-kick too. Inspired.
Millie Scrubbings, the heroine, is realistic and sympathetic and tho her plight is, well, paranormal, you completely feel for her.
This is a super imaginitive, exciting, funny short read. i recommend ti for everybody and I hope Amaleen Ison writes more set in this w
Michelle Krys
Jan 24, 2012 Michelle Krys rated it it was amazing
This story was simply brilliant. All of the ingrediants of a fantastic read were there--fast pacing, clever writing, high-stakes, and heavy on the occult and paranormal (a topic I can never get enough of!). Plus it doesn't hurt that this author seems to have a knack for writing descriptions stunning in their originality! Overall a fantastic read from start to finish, which I'd be glad to recommend to all my friends.
J.A. Belfield
Jan 30, 2012 J.A. Belfield rated it really liked it
This story might have been short, but the pacing was just so that I was able to take my time with it. I have to admit, I did worry that I was going to be faced with a story that had been crammed into too few words. Whilst, yes, it would probably make an awesome novel because Millie and the GP could be sent on so many adventures cleaning up the neighbourhood, I didn't reach the end and find the story particularly lacking for its length. Ms Ison's prose was pretty smooth, allowing the reader to am ...more
Aa'Ishah
Jan 16, 2013 Aa'Ishah rated it liked it
Another recommended short story. I really liked the world-building in this. London...rubbishy old estate...demons. It all really came together to create the perfect background and I definitely would not mind a full-length novel set against it. Millie was a likeable protag. You can easily tell she's been through a lot and now she's just trying to get through life. I felt that despite the doubt, she was very quick to accept her situation - but then that's probably down to the fact that this is onl ...more
Suzanne Rogers
Feb 04, 2012 Suzanne Rogers rated it it was amazing
I found myself chuckling quite a lot as I read The Trouble With Nightingale. Ison does a wonderful job envisioning paranormal elements such as witchcraft, heaven, hell and demons. I'm guessing this short story is a prequel to bigger things. At times I wanted to feel sorry for the main character, Millie, but at the end of the tale I knew she'd found her calling. Really cute ending which left me with a smile on my face. Well done, and I will be looking for more from this author!
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
A short story that is very fast paced and trip to the dark side. Millie (18) is having problems around her flat lately. People dying and the unusual neighbor that makes you feel uncomfortable to be around.

She comes home to a package she has ordered of an assortment of candles and products to cast some spells. Soon a policeman is knocking on her door to let her know they have found a body in the lift, that has been there just about the same time she came home the night before.

When she finally doe
Jocelyn Adams
Jan 25, 2012 Jocelyn Adams rated it it was amazing
I had the amazing pleasure of reading this tale during the editing phase, and right from word one Amaleen Ison set the spooky mood well enough all of the little hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Seriously. Freakin'. Creepy.

Her descriptions are spectacular, writing style smooth and engaging, and her imagination knows no bounds. This tale will have you gripping your e-reader, flipping page after page until you make it to the end. The Trouble with Nightingale is a must read for horror and
Sandy Wolters
Feb 20, 2012 Sandy Wolters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
On the job training.

THE TROUBLE WITH NIGHTINGALE by AMALEEN ISON has something for everyone. It's funny, it's gross, it's scary. Millie thinks she's got her life under her own control until she finds out that she's been duped into being Hell's Gatekeeper. She has everything she needs to do the job, except the knowhow. She has to learn fast from her guinea pig familiar. This short story moves at a fast pace, so hold on to your drawers and get ready for a really fun ride! I highly recommend this r
Sharon Ledwith
Jan 22, 2012 Sharon Ledwith rated it really liked it
Ison is cunningly-clever. The door to where evil dwells could be anywhere, in any city. She choose Nightingale in London. Reader beware: this short 'n' scary romp with demons and denial should be read WITH the lights ON and your back against the wall! Kudos to Ison on her debut story!
Emi Gayle
Jan 23, 2012 Emi Gayle rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but on the 'high' side since I can't do 1/2 stars.

The trouble I had with nightingale was that it was too short.

It took me, *maybe* an hour to read and was a nice filler, while, of all things, G-Force played on the t.v. for my kids. This is significant, IF you read the book, but, I shan't tell you why it's important.

Amaleen is a very descriptive writer who paints a very vivid and grotesque set of scenes with her characters. Now, because this is a short, there isn't much character deve
~Kate~
Nov 01, 2012 ~Kate~ rated it really liked it
I was asked if I wanted to review this book by a review cordinator and it sounded really good so I said yes. I didn't even realize how short the book was until I went to read it.

The cover is a bit simple but I don't mind as I find it rather eye catching and that's all that's needed for the covers. I also like that everything that is only the cover ties in with the actual story.

This is a very short book but it is still action packed and it just goes to show that less is more and some books over
R. Brennan
Jan 27, 2012 R. Brennan rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful short story!

I gave this one a read yesterday while on the train to NYC for work and I just LOVED it. It had been on my Nook waiting for me to find some time to read it for months and I am so glad I finally got the chance. The characters were vibrant and realistic, even in the context of a paranormal type tale. A completely unique twist on the dark arts and witchcraft. I wasn't sure where the story would end up -- happy ending or sad, but the ride was fantastic.

Ms Ison has a gift
Margaret Lesh
Jan 25, 2012 Margaret Lesh rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The Trouble With Nightingale is a very entertaining read. It's fresh and exciting with unexpected turns, dark humor, and vivid visual imagery. The main character Millie Scrubbings (gotta love that name) is a likable reluctant hero drawn into a set of circumstances beyond her control. I thoroughly enjoyed this and had a smile on my face for most of it. The ending was great. Looking forward to Amaleen's next work!
Arley Cole
Feb 24, 2012 Arley Cole rated it really liked it
After a slow start getting into it, I really enjoyed this book once the gates of Hell literally opened before me! Millie is loads of fun and once she gets paired up with the help that's been assigned to her, it all really goes into high gear. This is marketed as YA, but beware of Millie's tendency to curse! Would love to see this one continued into another book, hint, hint!!!
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://aurorareviews.blogspot.com/201...

Millie knows something funny is going on in the building she lives in. They keep finding tenants murdered…

Ms. Ison does an excellent job of creating a fast-paced amusing fantasy tale filled with danger. It stars a clueless young woman who is supposed to be the new gatekeeper. Once I sat down and started reading this story, I didn’t get back up again until I finished it. Ms. Ison grabs your attention on the first page and keeps the sto
R.C.
Feb 21, 2012 R.C. rated it it was amazing
The Trouble with Nightingale is a quick, fun read. So quick, in fact, that I'm not sure I can dive into much of it without revealing things that will spoil the party. Millie has had a rough life and it gets worse when she moves into Nightingale. There, a number of bizarre deaths and disappearances plague the tenants and our main character receives strange gifts in the mail. Through these gifts, Millie discovers her purpose and has a choice to make, which will impact everyone in the building and ...more
Terri Rochenski
Feb 06, 2012 Terri Rochenski rated it it was amazing
The trouble? I'll tell you what the trouble is - this story is too stinkin' short!!!

The MC, Millie, drew me right in, and her neighbor, Mrs. C's, descritpion brought her alive - jumping right off the page & onto the porch with me.

Not paying attention to the percentage flitting by with every page click on my kindle, the 'the end' actually made me gasp, "WHAT?!?!?!?" I was all settled in for a good read and it ended. Just like that.

Blah.

Yes, the villian had been slain, but I felt sure another
Reeses
Oct 20, 2012 Reeses rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

There has been a string of gruesome murders occurring since Millie Scrubbings has moved into her new apartment in Nightingale. The murders have even followed Millie into her apartment complex, where other residents are being killed. After opening another mystery package from an unknown sender full of more witchcrafting books, Millies life is turned upside down.

After meeting her familiar and learning she has no choice but to embrace her new job
Keith Pyeatt
Feb 02, 2012 Keith Pyeatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
First I must admit to being an adult, but I found a lot to like in this young adult paranormal story. It's very well written, has fun characters (I'll never look at guinea pigs the same way again), great descriptions, a good pace, and it's just the right length. Millie is a very likeable character, tricked into serving as gatekeeper...to Hell. Making it worse, she's not taking over a smooth running job; she's dumped into a dangerous mess. Lots of fun to read and the ending clinched the 5th star ...more
Anna Simpson
Feb 11, 2012 Anna Simpson rated it it was amazing
This is a short story. Too short I say. I loved it and wanted more.

Millie has done everything right. She moved into an apartment, got a job, and made the right choices. Or at least she thought so, until her life went pear shaped.

What stands out for me is how it drew me in. One minute I was reading on the sofa the next I was in England in a one bedroom apartment. Its been along time since a story has done that.

I don't know of any other works, but trust me I'll be looking.
Ruth Lauren
Jan 23, 2012 Ruth Lauren added it
Shelves: 2012
Short and sweet! Novelette length, so this is just as pacy as it is fun. I pulled my this-is-gross! face more than once. Demons, angels, hellhounds, gate keepers and familiars all packed in to one fast, fun story.
June Kramin
Mar 13, 2012 June Kramin rated it it was amazing
Great short story! Keeps your attention the whole way through. Great characters. I hope they develop into a novel length book!
Jasmin Kocaer
Jasmin Kocaer rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Dixit Baiju
Dixit Baiju rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Bkrdr
Bkrdr rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Julie Reece
Julie Reece rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
  • Lost in the Bayou
  • Love Sucks
  • Fated Encounter (Holloway Pack, #1.1)
  • The P.U.R.E.
  • New House 5: How a Dorm Becomes a Home
  • Burning Up the Rain (Hawaiian Heroes, #4)
  • The First Time
  • Master of Mine (BDSM Anthology)
  • Soul Keeper (Tales of the Citadel, #1)
  • Hide & Seek (Games of Zeus, #1)
  • Isn't It Romantic?
  • Ship of Souls
  • Perpetual Night
  • Tidal Whispers
  • The Dragon Stirs (Energen, #1)
  • Protecting Phoebe
  • Genie Knows Best (Bottled Magic, #2)
  • My Monster Burrufu
Amaleen Ison is a married mother of one. She lives with her family in Hertfordshire, England, along with her two cats (Oscar and Winston) and two guinea pigs (Thelma and Lou Lou). She writes Young Adult, Fantasy and Horror novels. Amaleen spends way too much time daydreaming, imagining herself in mystical lands populated by the weird and wonderful. But her love of the bizarre helps with the day jo ...more
More about Amaleen Ison...