The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (Jan/Feb 2012)

The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction #699)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  10 reviews

- "Maxwell's Demon", by Ken Liu
- "Scrap Dragon", by Naomi Kritzer
- "In th...more
Published 2012 by Gordon Van Gelder

To ask other readers questions about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction

Daniel
After the last issue that I thought was so-so, I found this one to be overall great and a return to how I usually feel after having completed one...eagerly awaiting the next. Also a great science article on the development of Atomic Theory.

- "Small Town", by Felicity Shoulders - A fairy story that isn't a fairy story is how I would describe this. The protagonist is a young girl who is born in teeny-tiny size in post WWI-era Europe, and kept hidden from the dangerous world of normal sized folk. M...more
AJ
I'm so excited to have this magazine on GoodReads! At last, I have a way to keep track of all my favorites..

Bonus: Science Department (Atoms & String Theory)

Personal ranking for this edition:

5 Star:
Umbrella Men This one surprised me, so it is the top of the list. The concepts stuck with me for awhile. (view spoiler)
Maxwell's Demon Beautiful. Love the historical references.
Alien Land Tied with Mindbender, (view spoiler)...more
Penny Ramirez
I very much enjoyed the short story "Scrap Dragon" by Naomi Kritzer, published in this issue. Ms. Kritzer auctioned off the chance to be either the protagonist or villain in a short story, as a fundraiser. I love the banter-y style of the dialogue between the storyteller and the person listening to the tale, presumably the person being included. Worth the 20 minutes!
Jamie
Great writing, a couple of good stories and one brilliant one.

5 stars:

The Color Least Used by Nature.

4 stars:

Scrap Dragon
In the Trenches
Canto MCML
Fran
Adding this for the story 'Scrap Dragon' by Naomi Kritzer, which I really loved. I only got the free edition for my kindle, but this story was amazing.

Can't remember when I read this, some time in Jan I guess (I randomly picked a date); it just occurred to me that I might be add it.
Rosalie
Short stories are hard to rate because each have their own elements to them, to me this one had some better than others. The magazine looks like a book but is a subscription. I do like the format that it is in and the size is nice to carry around.
Alex Ristea
Scrap Dragon and The Colour Least Used by Nature were both fantastic stories. The rest were decent, but nothing outstanding. Overall, a better issue than the last.
Enjoyed the cute "Scrap Dragon" and a couple of other stories.
Brick Marlin
Another great read full of tales of sci-fi and fantasy!
Meran
Always a great read!
Troy Palmer
Troy Palmer marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Elaina Auxier
Elaina Auxier marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 15, 2013
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2012
Samuel
Samuel added it
Dec 07, 2012
taeli
taeli marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
J. Allen Nelson
J. Allen Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Dustin
Dustin added it
Aug 30, 2012
The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, July/August 2013 The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013 Fantasy & Science Fiction, Jan/Feb 2013 (Vol 124, #1/2) Fantasy & Science Fiction (March/April 2012)