Start by marking “First Night Memories (Rot & Ruin, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
First Night Memories (Rot & Ruin, #0.5)

First Night Memories (Rot & Ruin 0.5)

Jonathan
Mar 01, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
FIRST NIGHT MEMORIES is free bonus manterial for ROT & RUIN available on the Simon & Schuster webpage for the book. http://books.simonandschuster.com/Rot...

And there are twenty-five pages of free scenes set between ROT & RUIN and DUST & DECAY. Here’s a link to the main page; access the scenes by clicking on the banner that reads: READ BONUS MATERIAL BY JONATHAN MABERRY: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Dus...
Joanna Marie
Jun 21, 2016 Joanna Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
4 short stories of 4 different people with interesting ideas on how to survive the zombie apocalypse. Out of the 4, Nix and Tom had the strongest voices for me, one an adult, and another, a child/teen.

The First Night was everyone's nightmare turning billions of people into "zoms". Dead, decayed yet brought back to life to kill and infect more people. Of course, these 4 survivors wouldn't want to be like them so they have to kill these monsters whom have been their previous friends, neighbors, a
Toni
Dec 12, 2012 Toni rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying Jonathan Maberry is brilliant. I am almost finished with the first book, Rot & Ruin, and can't wait to get the second book. Jonathan provides such a unique look at life after the zombie apocalypse. I look forward to reviewing Rot & Ruin on my blog, along with the rest of the series!

First Night Memories was a great, quick read. I love back stories.. getting some insight into the characters history and memories.
Malissa
I'm not going to actually rate either #.5 or #1.5 because I'm just not sure how to. I enjoyed them for what they are, bonus content for fans to either give a bit more insight into the characters' world or to tide us over until the next book. Or both. At least reading them *after* finishing bk #2, I don't feel like they added anything I'd feel any real loss without, yet I do really love the fact that the relative ease of eBooks and electronic content gives authors the ability to offer things like ...more
Jun 15, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Interesting! I read FIRST NIGHT MEMORIES after I finished ROT & RUIN, which I actually consider a better order. I enjoyed meeting the characters in the novel and then going back to view their memories of First Night. It’s great to see how what they remember (and for some characters their actions) shaped the person they were in ROT & RUIN, and how it affected their views on Zombies and the future of Mountain Side.
Janie Johnson
May 07, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: jonathan-maberry
Just a short pre look into the Rot and Ruin series with "First Night Memories" when everything on the planet went wrong. When the population went from billions of live people to 30,000. Gives a little insight into the lives of those survivors when first night came. I would love a full blown out novel of "First Night Memories" I think it would be awesome.
Kirstin
Oct 21, 2013 Kirstin rated it really liked it
*fangirling over Tom Imura*
Such a short read! Still, I loved it. Each character has his/her own distinct voice that helps you distinguish him/her from the others without difficulty. I also liked how Jonathan Maberry made the characters sound genuine to their age. ^^
Gretchen
A prequel of collected short stories meant to introduce "Rot & Ruin," the first in the Benny Imura series. I didn't read this until after I finished "Rot & Ruin," so it isn't necessary to fully enjoy the series, but it gives great insight into some of the characters.
Angie
Jun 28, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
should just be included as a n intro to the rot & ruin book. at least it was free :)
Kristilyn
Aug 02, 2016 Kristilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This is a very short collection of stories about the characters during the First Night. I really enjoyed reading Tom’s story of the First Night, especially since it’s something that’s talked about a lot during Rot & Ruin.

It’s always nice to get the backstory for a story like this, especially since Rot & Ruin takes place well after the apocalypse takes place. When we start book number one, we know that there are zombies out there and we hear about the First Night, so it’s nice to see some
Katie Kenig
Oct 30, 2013 Katie Kenig rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, apocolyptic
This little mini novella - or collection of short shorts, to be fair - was intended as bonus material for the book Rot and Ruin, but I grabbed it off of the Simon and Schuster site as it wasn't included in my audiobook version of the full book.

While it's interesting stuff, much of it is repetitive if you've already read Rot and Ruin. Though if you have already read it, the very last lines of the last story will give you chills - as it did me!

This collection is a group of memories centered around
Shelley
Feb 06, 2012 Shelley rated it liked it
This is a short, 13 pages worth, prequel to the Rot and Ruin novel. The story is told by Phoenix (Nix) Riley (who is aching for a way to get out from out of Mountainside and it's no future, Tom Imura (As he takes a look at First Night and how he ran away with Benny from his mother and father who had turned into zoms), Pastor Kellogg (who had a moral fight within himself over religion and whether not it did any good before First Night and watched his entire family turn into zoms), Benny and Chong ...more
Michelle
Feb 12, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-i-read
First Night Memories is suppose to be a prequel to the story Rot & Ruin but I read this particular story afterwards. It's a collection of short stories told from the POV of the following characters Tom, Nix, Benny and Pastor Kellogg.

Albeit while it was a short and fast read it still was able to provide insight into the minds of some of the characters. I especially like that we got to see things from Tom's POV during THAT night.

I liked getting to see how the kids who essentially grew up afte
Nora
Jan 23, 2013 Nora rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, zombie
Jonathan Maberry has written/is writing one of the only zombie series that actually make me stop & think. So picture this: I'm pondering humanity--its faults, flaws, and amazingness--while I'm reading about people surviving & zombies chowing down. Weird. But cool.

This is a small grouping of the first night stories of several individuals. Sad, but also somehow inspiring. Don't ask me, I don't know.
Joy
It's been awhile since I've read this author's work and I missed it. I delayed reading Benny Imura books because I always felt I've been left hanging. It's good to read about where it all began and how different the young and old think. We see glimpses of the just-turned-15 Benny and how he views his brother. I also appreciated Tom's side of the story the First Night. I'm excited to read the rest of the books because I have them already, I just need to get the in-between books and I'm all set.
Renae
Sep 03, 2012 Renae rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, ebook, ya
This felt like it might've been Maberry's first draft of Rot and Ruin. Almost like it was a pitch to a publisher.

It was interesting to see Tom's perspective on First Night, but it was necessary to hide that in order to build more of Benny's misplaced resentment toward his brother in the first book.

Definitely worth reading, but not before reading the first book.
Kristine Hansen
A little disjointed. I know this is just bonus material but I would have liked it to be a bit more cohesive. And I'm not entirely sure it added all that much to the story. On the other hand, I enjoyed being in Nix's head for a bit, and it was good to get a little extra...so it's worth reading.

I'd probably give this 3.5 stars if there was an option for half stars. :)
Mary
Oct 06, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-author, ebook
Free on publisher's website.

A good addition to the series that gives First Night stories from Nix, Tom and Pastor Kellogg. We also see Benny on his 15th birthday - back when he admired Charlie and the Motor City Hammer.
Oct 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
AWESOME! I read this after Rot & Ruin (book #1) and before Dust & Decay (book #2) and I loved it! Just cool to hear some back stories from the night it all went wrong. Awesome for Maberry to post them for free as well!
Cameron Mascari
Jun 05, 2013 Cameron Mascari rated it liked it
Good little story talking about First Night. I liked seeing the different perspectives of the characters. It's kind of crazy to read how different the characters were prior when the books started, they all have changed so much, and for the better I think.

Excited for the final book.
Nikki S
Sep 16, 2012 Nikki S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Coming from someone who had never read this series before, I really enjoyed this. It really surprised me how much I liked this. I don't normally like zombie stories. I will definitely be completing this series!
Katie
Apr 09, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
only took a couple of minutes to read this PDF file (the link is above in the book description if you want to read it too). i enjoyed knowing what the beginning of first night was for tom (i'm in love with him!)
Lisa
Nov 22, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-done
Really intresting should of probably read it before the first book. It would of made alittle more sense.
Momi
Jan 19, 2013 Momi rated it really liked it
Sometimes I think the fence isn’t just for keeping the zoms out. I think it’s to keep
us in. We built it and we locked ourselves in.
I hate it.
I can’t live in a cage.
I won’t.
Brittany
May 22, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
I definitely think it's best to read the first book and then read the First Night Memories. You appreciate the characters a whole lot more.
Kami
Nov 06, 2012 Kami rated it it was amazing
- Little short stories about First Night and prequel stuff to Rot & Ruin.

- I loved the little bit about Tom's First Night experience. I wish there was more on other people's First Night.
Chelsea
Aug 05, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Thinking about re-reading this series before the next book comes out.., but starting from this and working my way up. Better get to reading.
Shawn Kass
Jun 09, 2013 Shawn Kass rated it liked it
Having already read the first three books in the series, it was interesting to go back for this perspective, but it was very short.
Joel
Oct 28, 2014 Joel added it
Loved this book great characters and the story drew me in, and I lucked out reading these first before the he rot and Ruin series.
Megan LeAnn
Very cool extra tidbits for the what some of the characters went through on first night, I loved it!
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • The Rising: Deliverance
  • Fed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1.5)
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)
  • What Once We Feared (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.5)
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #2)
  • Phantom File (Dark Eden, #1.5)
  • Undead (Undead, #1)
  • After Life
  • Daylight Runner
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • The Rage Plague
  • Dead World Resurrection (Dead World, #4.5)
  • Somewhere I Have Never Travelled
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...

Rot & Ruin (7 books)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)
  • Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)
  • Rot & Ruin Warrior Smart #1 (#1 of 5)
  • Bits & Pieces (Rot & Ruin, #5)
  • A Fantastic Holiday Season: Volume 2 - The Gift of Stories