Poltergeeks

Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  97 reviews
15-year-old Julie Richardson is about to learn that being the daughter of a witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. When she and her best friend, Marcus, witness an elderly lady jettisoned out the front door of her home, it's pretty obvious to Julie there's a supernatural connection.
Published October 4th 2012 by Strange Chemistry Books (first published August 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Poltergeeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poltergeeks

Anzu The Great Destroyer
I made the mistake of pausing Poltergeeks and starting another book. Now I can’t make myself get back to read it. I’m not in the mood. I’m not motivated enough. It’s just that stupid. Whatever.

Poltergeeks is not my kind of book. The story is cheesy and clichéd. The heroine, Julie, is a brat that sounds like a thirty-year-old woman. She is special, and, most importantly, she is a moron. Julie has a BFF, Marcus, who secretly has a crush on her. Her girlfriend hits on her BFF because she’s that evi...more
Mav
Apr 16, 2013 Mav marked it as avail-lib-no
Shelves: high-interest
I was going to write a snarky comment about the lack of a love triangle - or any HINT of a romantic subplot for that matter - in the book description, but I'm too busy squealing over the fact that the book description makes it clear the mother-daughter relationship is going to be an IMPORTANT part of the female protaganist's character development. That, and the cover features a girl in a DYNAMIC, powerful pose. That, and I have hair envy.
Nikki
Poltergeeks is really fun. It's definitely very adolescent in tone, but it doesn't take itself too seriously. In fact, sometimes it's almost too flippant, which would be my main criticism -- but it made up for that for me by having a solid, meaningful relationship between the mother and daughter at the centre of the story. Not a perfect one, I hasten to add, but a strong one, and one where neither of them is portrayed as evil in any way for butting heads. Julie doesn't go off on her being all Wo...more
Ryan Lawler
The YA binge continues with Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings, my third book from the guys at Strange Chemistry. This is another very solid entry that does a lot of things right and sets up things very effectively for future novels in the series.

Poltergeeks tells the story of Julie Richardson, a strong willed teenage witch who has a habit of picking fights well beyond her capabilities. When a rogue poltergeist put's Julie's mother in a coma and continues targeting Julie and her best friend Marcus, it...more
Melanie
Poltergeeks opens up with all hell breaking loose : a woman is thrown out of her house while her furniture and objects are found floating around. From Julie and Marcus' expertise, this can only be the result of a very mischievous poltergeist who was yanked from the other side by someone very powerful. Supernatural activity is going off the charts everywhere, even in school. No one is safe, not even Julie's mother who falls under the spell of Endless Night, a powerful spell that leaves her in a c...more
Rebecca McKinnon
This is my first experience reading a book by Mr. Cummings, and I'm beyond thrilled by it.

A fantastic opening, I have to say. It drew me right in. (After all, a poltergeist kicking a person out of their home doesn't happen every day!) I absolutely had to find out what happened next. What happened was that I held onto the book a little tighter and refused to put it down. This book has a place on my small list of single-sitting reads.

I'm in love with the characters. Julie is phenomenal, and you se...more
Hayley Arens
This book was described to me as "The Witch-Buffy of ghosts," which both intrigued and established a high bar for me.

Nothing will ever be as good as the Buffster, and the only comparison really comes in a good but snarky heroine, something that is wholly absent from YA. Heroines are either good and weak or strong and immoral. I'm a strong, moral girl so I like to see her in YA. That's what Julie is, the strong good girl.

The pacing was great, everything happens fast and just over the course of...more
Mieneke
From the first synopsis I read when Strange Chemistry announced they had signed Sean Cummings, this book sounded like it would be a super fun read. And though it wasn't a perfect book, it made good in its promise with a very fun tale of hauntings, magic and romance. Reminiscent in tone of Buffy, it's a book that has fun with the tropes of the genre and doesn't take itself too seriously, despite tackling some difficult emotional topics, such as the impending loss of a parent and the first steps o...more
Rrain
I wish I was the sensible sort of person who could easily give up on a book, because I knew from very early on that this one wasn't really working for me, but once I start something I have this compulsion to finish it. And I wanted to like this one, because it sounded interesting and I love finding things unapologetically set in Canada. (But then, when don't I want to like a book that I pick up to read?)

Fundamentally, the problem for me was with voice, which struck me as uneven throughout. It of...more
Christopher S. Nelson
POLTERGEEKS: May the Force bewitch you!

The stunning cover art of POLTERGEEKS is a promise delivered. From the intense opening scene until the spectacular climax, author Sean Cummings conjures a Teen Paranormal novel that crosses the boundaries of the heretofore stereotypical teenage girl-biased genre and ushers in a whole new perspective, one to which many of us can easily relate.

POLTERGEEKS is about teenage witch Julie Richardson and her struggle to prove herself to her mother, a powerful witc...more
Anna
Oct 09, 2012 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, fantasy
That the main driving force behind most of Julie's choices is her relationship with her mother is a breath of fresh air in YA. There is a bit of romance, but her world doesn't revolve around it, and in fact she pushes things aside to deal with when she has more pressing matters sorted out. She's a rare teen girl protagonist, someone pro-active who makes her own decisions and faces the consequences, who spends more time kicking evil's butt than mooning after boys but isn't too damaged by a trauma...more
I'm having a bit of a writing block today, so here, in list form, are some of my thoughts. (I like lists.)

Here are some things I liked:
* A teenage main character who acts and sounds her age. Julie is 15 and she's written like it! Her dialogue doesn't sound like the words of an adult coming out of a kid's mouth. She's headstrong and emotional and makes rash decisions and thinks she knows best. Sound like anyone you know? Yeah, sounds like me when I was 15.
* A teenage main character who has a good...more
Michelle
Poltergeeks is one of the first titles from Strange Chemistry, a promising new YA imprint. It’s about 15 year old Julie Richardson, who’s trying to deal with being an everyday teenager, as well as being a witch.

Julie is being taught and trained by her mum, which puts even more of a strain on the usual teenager-daughter relationship, and of course, being a teen, Julie tries to take on more than she should.

The joy of this book is that it’s not like the usual YA urban fantasy book – there’s no swoo...more
Serendipity Reviews
As soon as I heard about this book I was desperate to read it. From the first sentence I felt like I was on a thrilling ride which continued at a fast pace all the way through the book.
I adored the humour in the book. Sean Cummings has one sarcastic mind and I personally love it!
The characters really stand out, they all have a quirkiness about them. Julie, the main protagonist, is just full of sassiness and sarcasm. Straight away, you are cheering her on, desperate for her to solve the disasters...more
Lolly's Library
*e-ARC graciously provided by the folks at NetGalley*

There are many things to love about this book and only a couple which will cause the eyes to roll dramatically and several “Oh, please”'s to be shouted. The writing is decent, moving along at a steady clip and keeping the reader involved. The action, while not exactly heart-pounding, is still fairly vivid, the dialogue is zingy, and some of the situations are downright laugh-until-your-sides-hurt funny (starting with the first scenes in which...more
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I really enjoyed Poltergeeks. It was fun with a brilliant led character and a uniquely different storyline which kept me engaged throughout.

This book follows the story of young witch Julie who is having some problems with an evil ghostly spirit which seems to wan her dead. What I really enjoyed about this book was that Julie was such a confident character with a huge sense of morality but at the same time quite naive in her magical ways and therefore regularly relying on her more experienced mo...more
Catie
I've been trying for several days to write a review for this book. I added it to my list of Halloween reads because, well, it has witches and ghosts. It also came out earlier this month. The last book that I read from Strange Chemistry, Blackwood was lots of fun and full of quirk, which seems to be a staple for the publisher. I jumped in expecting a fun, spooky read (if maybe a little cheesy). Unfortunately Poltergeeks failed to deliver, even on the cheese. Of course I didn't hate everything abo...more
Felicia Chien
Book: Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings
Pages: 282
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Source: Sent from Strange Chemistry Publishing

Short Synopsis: Julie Richardson is not your average fifteen year old girl. She's a witch with special powers. After dealing with a poltergeist, Julie must face an ultimate evil that is trying to end her life.

My Thoughts: An action packed adventure, filled with paranormal ghostly elements, mixed with a hint of witchy powers.

Julie Richardson is a fifteen year old with magical po...more
Mark
Originally published at Walker of Worlds.

Poltergeeks is the story of Julia Richardson, a teenage witch. It runs in the family, and while they aren't part of a coven, Julia and her mother get by just fine by themselves. That is until, one day, Julia steps in to stop a poltergeist from terrorising one of her neighbours, and in doing so sets off a chain of events that not only lead to danger and tragedy, but also to discovery, and the reason behind her mother's often strict rules on Julia and her u...more
Heather
This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl.

Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings was such a light, refreshing read. I won this book off of a blog competition, and I'm so glad I did. I absolutely loved it!

Julie Richardson is a 15 year old witch. She's her mother's apprentice. However, when her mother's soul is stolen by something evil, Julie must step up and try to do everything in her power to save her mother. In the process, she is also putting her o...more
Jen*The Geeky Book Gal*
I would like to thank Netgalley for allowing me an advanced reading copy of this book for review.

Goodreads summary:
In fact, there's a whisper of menace behind increasing levels of poltergeist activity all over town. A...more
Ben Babcock
When I was younger, I was ridiculously fond of watching Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. (I still am. I just don’t have the time to watch it as much any more, nor am I spry enough to stay up until 1 am when it’s usually on these days.) The show is typical of the 1990s sitcom-with-a-twist: typically, each episode consists of Sabrina trying to solve a typical adolescent dilemma with magic, only to make the situation even worse when her spell goes awry. From time to time, the bureaucrats of the magical...more
Hannah
Sean Cummings writing style was the first thing that grabbed me when I started reading. It flows naturally, and perfectly encompasses Julie's character including her sassiness, wit and outspoken teen voice. It reads so naturally like a teenager that I instantly got a sense of what Julie's personality was like and I loved her.

Although I guessed pretty much from the outset what was coming at the end, I'm not sure if this was down to my extra good guessing abilities or easy to read plot/characters....more
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews another Strange Chemistry title, the first YA novel by author Sean Cummings.

“This book can be summed up in three words: Fun, great, fan-frikkin-tastic. When’s the sequel out again?” ~The Founding Fields

My initial experience with Strange Chemistry was a really promising one, even though I wasn’t that taken with the book (The Assassin’s Curse by Cassandra Clarke). Still, I’m on a sor...more
Sharon
Sean Cummings, Canadian author of adult Urban Fantasy, has written a young adult paranormal for Angry Robots’ new YA imprint, Strange Chemistry. Poltergeeks is about Julie, a young teenage girl trying to prove to her mother and herself that she is responsible enough to use her magic on her own, but she quickly gets in over her head, dragging her best friend Marcus along for the dangerous ride.

This is an action/mystery story with a sweet romance woven in. What impressed me most was Cummings’s kno...more
Marybeth (Manhattan Reader)

This was a much, much needed break from all the intense adult books that I have read. Honestly, I was starting to feel a little dirty because I was reading so much of it, so when I got to this book it was like taking a huge step back and breathing.

This review is long overdue. Like many other works, I've been sitting on this, contemplating what to write. This was cute and funny and I really wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.

Poltergeist have entered Julie's life; a young witch, the girl...more
Erleen (Books For YA!)
This review can also be found at Books For YA!

Poltergeeks is a querky, action-packed, ass-kicking novel that is hard to put down.

From the very beginning, I was immediately captured by the story. The level of excitement that I feel in the first 20 pages was off the roof. There's nothing more awesome than a fight scene between a witch and a poltergeist in the start of a novel.

And as I continue reading the book, I had a lot of expectations due to the fact that this started with a BANG! and I'm hopi...more
Leah

Somebody killed my father. I don't know who did it or why, but I'm going to find them.

I'm a girl.

I'm a witch.

I'm a Shadowcull.

Someone is going to pay.

I went into this book fairly blind - I had never read any book by Sean Cummings prior to Poltergeeks nor was I a big paranormal reader. The plot intrigued me and having a strong mother-daughter relationship was a definite plus. Now that I've read it, I'm glad I took that chance.

Julie Richardson is your averag...more
Everybookhasasoul
From the first sentence I was hooked and read this book in just under a day. I was not putting this book down for anything, until I had finished it.

The characters present in this book was one of the many things that make this book so magical. Julie is am amazing characters and is brought to life inside the reader’s mind from the first page and who could not love Marcus every heroin needs a boy who will be by her side no matter what. Cummings did an excellent job with Julies mother even though sh...more
Tsana Dolichva
Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings is a rollicking great read out from Strange Chemistry (YA imprint of Angry Robot) on October 2nd in the US/Canada and ebook and on October 4th for the UK/Aus paperback. A copy of this book was provided for review from the publisher. Also, how awesome is the cover? I love it.

Julie is a trainee witch, still learning the craft from her mother. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend Marcus. An excerpt from the blurb:

When she and her best friend, Marcus,...more
  • Blackwood
  • Shift (Shift, #1)
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • She Returns From War
  • Paradise
  • Ferryman
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Skulk
  • India Dark
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • My Lunatic Life (Lunatic Life, #1)
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Black Dog
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • Burn Mark (Burn Mark, #1)
Sean Cummings is a fantasy author with a penchant for writing quirky, humorous and dark novels featuring characters that are larger than life. His debut was the gritty urban fantasy SHADE FRIGHT published in 2010. He followed up later in the year with the sequel FUNERAL PALLOR. His urban fantasy/superhero thriller UNSEEN WORLD was published in 2011.

2012 saw the publication of Sean’s first urban fa...more
More about Sean Cummings...
Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2) Shade Fright  (Valerie Stevens, #1) Marshall Conrad: A Superhero Tale Funeral Pallor (Valerie Stevens, #2) The North