Start by marking “The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1.5)

The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden #1.5)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  1,638 ratings  ·  152 reviews
Step into the Chemical Garden with an all-new eBook sampler!

Discover the world author Lauren DeStefano created in Wither, a riveting dystopian thriller. In the not-so-distant future, fallout from genetic engineering causes all females to die at age twenty, and all males to die at twenty-five. Kidnapped from her home and torn from her twin brother Rowan, sixteen-year-old Rh
Published November 15th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Seeds of Wither, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeds of Wither

Hayden
Jul 10, 2012 Hayden marked it as want-plz  ·  review of another edition
Oh, boy. This looks like it serves no purpose. They could've just published the short story on its own. That would've done just fine. But, alas, they had to make money, so they threw some other stuff in.

Believe me, I love Lauren DeStefano. I loved Fever, especially. But I don't love greedy authors, and I really hope Lauren isn't going down that path.
Ruth Silver
I read The Seeds of Wither after finishing The Chemical Garden Trilogy. I had hoped that it would give some additional insight into one of the characters (specifically Rose). The Seeds of Wither, at 77 pages includes content from the first book Wither which I always find awkward considering the reader that is purchasing the novella has already read the novel. It also included a small excerpt from Fever, which at the time hadn't been released and made a little more sense. Though for me, I'd alrea ...more
Amber
The Seeds of Wither is an eBook sampler I recently discovered and bought to tide me over until Fever is available. It includes the first few chapters of Wither (which I skipped since I have already read it), an exclusive, never-before-published short story titled The First Bride, and the first chapter of Fever.

The real pull of this sampler for me was the short story and the sneak peek of Fever. The First Bride was a lovely short story told from Rose’s (Linden’s first wife) point-of-view. Lauren
Alexandria Nicole
When I first bought this I thought it was a mini prequel to the series, but then I find out it's just the first couple chapters of WITHER. At the end there is an additional chapter from a different characters POV, which I don't think we get at the end of Wither, and I think a chapter of FEVER (the next in the series). I wish I would have know this when I bought it. I liked the story, but I feel like I should have just bought WITHER.

THE FIRST BRIDE (a chapter) was interesting because it gives an
Alana
My star rating isn't for the story itself (all five pages of it in an eighty-two page download) because the story was fine enough even if it wasn't much of anything, but my rating is for the fact that this particular e-exclusive isn't quite worth even the $1.99. Several chapters of the existing book and only a single short chapter from Fever? Oh Simon & Schuster, you need just a little bit more for something like this to be satisfying.
Download this if it ever goes for free, but otherwise you
Trisha
this was a little disappointing.
Since it was only about 100 pages, I figured it would be maybe 25, 50, 25
25 pages to Wither
50 to new content
25 to Fever

Instead it was about 80 to Wither, 15 to Fever, and 5 to new content.

I was hoping for more new stuff. I would love to know Rose more.
but I'm glad to know she really did push Linden into marrying and finding a new muse. And their small amount of interaction was cute, but I'd love to know the history of her candies.....
Book Sushi
I just started this book and its already annoying me. The description says its a short on Rose's point of view as the first bride, but so far its just a big extract from Wither. So Im actually having to skip a few pages... Why they couldn't put the POV first, i dont know....

well i managed to finish this. lots of skipping till i found the short, and I am dissapointed. Seriously, this was just a money making ploy...
Betty
This would have been rated higher if it had been the prequel I thought it was. But the first part was the first six chapters of Wither, the next bit was a short story told from the perspective of a different character (which did function as a prequel of a sort), and then an excerpt of Fever. The Wither excerpt was good and made me want to continue with the book, but I already had it in the library and was planning on reading it next anyway.

The First Bride was a good read, nicely paced and a soli
Tara Day
When they say "short story" they literally mean short story. But I really love Rose so I bought this sampler the other day. Rose's story is brief and simple, explaining how young she was upon meeting and marrying Linden. And the darkness that befell her after losing her child and succumbing to the virus. I wish I could have read more.
This was a bit pointless really. 77% of it was the first few chapters of Wither (So if you've read Wither, you've obviously read these already!), then there was a very short story about Rose and Linden - literally a few pages in which she tells him to remarry, and then that's it - on to an exceprt from Fever. Pointless.
5 out of 10
Lia Bree
Jediné, čo som čítala tu bola pár stranová poviedka "The First Bride" ostatné stránky boli len ukážky z prvej a druhej knihy + obrázok poschodia manželiek...Bolo to dosť depresívne, keďže sme mohli čítať o tom, ako Rose umierala - celý ten proces, ako vírus zabíja
Shannon
This didn't add much to the story if you've read the whole series. While it added some additional details, I didn't feel like I had missed anything by not reading this. The title is apt, they are seeds of the Wither tales, but they are excerpts from the books I had already read and I felt like I was just rereading the edits that didn't make it that maybe should have just been included in the books. The story about Rose was very short, and I was expecting a little more about her life as First Wif ...more
Miranda

I don't really have much to say about this one. Only a few short pages long, there isn't much to base a review or rating on. It was interesting to get a glimpse of life with Rose and Linden together before Rhine and the other brides come into play, but not much happened. It was basically just the story of her getting sick and telling Linden that he needed to consider remarrying after her death.

It was a nice read, but it was barely long enough to qualify as a short story — I just wish t
Kristilyn
As much as I loved reading the first two books in the Chemical Garden trilogy, I have to admit that I was disappointed by this release.

Seeds of Wither is an esampler book, which contains a few chapters of Wither, the first book in the series, a short story from Rose's perspective, The First Wife, a map of the wives floor in the mansion, and the first chapter of Fever, the second book in the trilogy.

I really wanted to like this, but I think that I entered it with too-high expectations. Having al
JudgyK
In my review of The Shadow Cats, I explained the trend of YA series to publish an e-book between two full novels to promote and, in theory, provide new and interesting information to fans of the series that they otherwise would not know. The Seeds of Wither is one of such e-books, but it does not manage to do damn near anything useful. I want my $.99 back. It was wasted.

The Seeds of Wither purports to give you new and exciting information about (surprise, surprise.. the background of Wither) Lin
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Full review and current Fever Giveaway at: A Belle's Tales (Ends 4/7/12).

If you loved Wither as much as I did, then you will definitely enjoy Seeds of Wither. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the new content in Seeds of Wither is minimal, but good things come in small packages. While Rose’s story is a short story, indeed, I love the insight it gave into Rose’s and Linden’s history - so lovely! The excerpt from Wither was an excellent reminder of how much I enjoyed that story, and the s
Carina Olsen
I've had this short story ever since it got published in late 2011. And now I finally read it :) And yeah, it was a whole lot shorter than I had thought. Although this ebook is more than one hundred pages, that's just because it's several chapters of Wither. Which is kind of awesome, if you don't have the book. There's also a preview of Fever, which is kind of cool. But then there is the real short story, which is only a few pages long.

The First Bride is a short story told from the point of view
Lisa Ottone
The First Bride is literally only a few pages long, but it gives you a peek into Rose's life before Linden took any other wives. Rose describes herself as a little girl who is forced into marriage at the tender age of 11, which in our world seems so young. The world she is living in is completely different, and while Rhine is determined to defy authority, Rose is much more accepting of it. She knows the world is in chaos and that it is easier to live as a prisoner than it is on the outside. She ...more
Linda Hamonou
This doesn't worth much.
The only part that could interest someone reading the novels is the short story, but there is not much content to it and no more information.
Rose's voice sounds exactly like Rhine's voice, there hasn't been much details added. I was expected more on Rose's failed attempt to escape and about here love for freedom that came from her parents or the building of her relationship with Linden but it was too short to get any feelings.
Danielle
I wanted something short to read just because I have been so busy with school I have not been able to enjoy reading anything just for pleasure. I saw this on my kindle shelf and decided to give it a try, despite the fact it has been a while since I read this series. It was WAY shorter than I thought haha.

The short story is about Linden's first wife, Rose. And there's not much I can say about it except it was sad...interesting, but depressing.
Melanie
Another novella that is purely a way to make more money off of a series. It mostly serves no purpose, other than reviewing information that people already know about the first one and give a sneak peak into the second one (which is especially pointless after the second has been published).

The only unique material in the book is the short story about Rose before she dies. Frankly, it just wasn't that interesting or necessary a story.
Cici
Since I'm in love with The Chemical Garden books, I HAD to get the Seeds of Wither. I read that this book had a few chapters from Wither and a few chapters from Fever, which it did, and I've already read and own both books so that wasn't very exciting for me. But what got me to purchase this little ebook is that it holds a short story about The First Wife, Rose. I love Rose. I couldn't wait to read more about her.
I was expecting more. This little story was very short and didn't give us much more
Nicole
This was basically pointless if you have read the other books. First, you get 5 chapters of Wither, which most likely, you have read if you were interested in purchasing this short story. It does include a sneak peek of Fever, but it really wasn't too great of a sneak peek.

So that leaves the short story, the First Bride. The story was short and decent. I found it moderately enjoyable, but it was nothing fantastic. However, it was SO SHORT. It was, by far, the shortest e-novella I have ever read
Jeri York
If you have to buy the book to read it, DON'T! There is only one chapter from Rose's point of view, the first part is just the same from the first book, and the last part is the second book.
Tori Gupe
No se si leí una mala traducción o que... Pero esta interesante. Igual esperaba encontrarme algún comentario de Rose sobre Rhine... Eso le hubiera agregado una estrella...
Breanna Rose Graham
I love short stories that give a little more insight into books that I love. So I had to have this short story. Today I had nothing to read on my kindle (app) so I started the chapter sampler of Wither and couldn't stop! As soon as I get home I'm going to pull out the hardcover and continue this story! The short story is very short! Its about Rose, Lindens beloved first wife. She describes how she came to love Linden and because of her love she wants him to be happy after she dies which leads to ...more
Kasie
Normally I’m really big on short story prequels and in between stories. This one isn’t anything I’d consider needed when it comes to the series.

The actual short story is titled The First Bride. This gives you a look into what life was like for Rowan and Rose when she was still alive. Out of the 77 pages I think it lasted about 10 of them. No new information just a little back story.

The rest of the content consists of a Fever sneak peak, link to a photo shoot, and a map of the wive’s floor inside
Tori
This wasn't a super long story since most of it was the first few chapters of Wither, but I did like the short story and since I'm going to be starting Fever soon I figured now was a good time to read it
Mariana Bezerra
This is Rose short story from when she was only eleven and got married to Linden to the final stages of her life and how much she suffered. I liked knowing a bit more about Linden and his love for a girl he grew up with.

Rose is pretty and accepted this marriage from the very begin, but things were always happy between these two, because their baby was born dead and it brought so much sadness to lose a precious little girl.

But Rose was also responsible for the other wives, because she wanted Lin
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
i was so excited to read this, because it said it was 150 pages, and i was stoked!

i started reading, and everything was very familiar, i just KNEW i read it before! so, i go back to the table of contents and sure enough, i've been reading the EXCERPT from wither! ugh! how did i miss that the first time? so, i jump ahead to the actual story, the reason i purchased this ebook, and it's like only 3 pages!
very disappointing.

yea, the story was interesting, but i was expecting a little more than 3 pag
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • 'Til the World Ends (Blood of Eden, #0.5)
  • Outcast (Defiance 0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Lost Scene from Hallowed (Unearthly, #2.1)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Neverfall (Everneath, #1.5)
Lauren DeStefano (pronounced: de STEFF ano) is a lawn gnome enthusiast and New York Times bestselling author of some books, which you can find listed below this bio. For the first six years of her life, she thought she was a mermaid and still has her suspicions. When she isn't writing, she is often composing tweets that make as little sense as possible. They can be found here: https://twitter.com/ ...more
More about Lauren DeStefano...

The Chemical Garden (3 books)
  • Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3) Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1) No Intention of Dying (The Internment Chronicles, #1.5)