Start by marking “The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1.5)

The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden #1.5)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,018 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
Step into the Chemical Garden with an all-new eBook sampler!

Discover the world author Lauren DeStefano created in Wither, a riveting dystopian thriller. In the not-so-distant future, fallout from genetic engineering causes all females to die at age twenty, and all males to die at twenty-five. Kidnapped from her home and torn from her twin brother Rowan, sixteen-year-old Rh
Published November 15th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Deanna
It probably would have helped it I had read the description before reading this book.

Most of the book (about 75 percent) was the first six chapters of the first book in The Chemical Garden Trilogy "Wither". As I had just finished reading Wither I didn't bother with this part.

The BONUS content was basically a map of the wive's floor, the "Wither" book trailer and a behind the scenes "Fever" cover shoot.

There was a NEW short story by Lauren DeStefano included that had never before been publishe
hayden
Mar 15, 2015 hayden marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Oh, boy. This looks like it serves no purpose. They could've just published the short story on its own. That would've done just fine. But, alas, they had to make money, so they threw some other stuff in.

Believe me, I love Lauren DeStefano. I loved Fever, especially. But I don't love greedy authors, and I really hope Lauren isn't going down that path.
Ruth Silver
I read The Seeds of Wither after finishing The Chemical Garden Trilogy. I had hoped that it would give some additional insight into one of the characters (specifically Rose). The Seeds of Wither, at 77 pages includes content from the first book Wither which I always find awkward considering the reader that is purchasing the novella has already read the novel. It also included a small excerpt from Fever, which at the time hadn't been released and made a little more sense. Though for me, I'd alrea ...more
Amber
The Seeds of Wither is an eBook sampler I recently discovered and bought to tide me over until Fever is available. It includes the first few chapters of Wither (which I skipped since I have already read it), an exclusive, never-before-published short story titled The First Bride, and the first chapter of Fever.

The real pull of this sampler for me was the short story and the sneak peek of Fever. The First Bride was a lovely short story told from Rose’s (Linden’s first wife) point-of-view. Lauren
Foxyreading
Jun 30, 2015 Foxyreading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really short story, but I was really curious about what happened in it. I'm satisfied and hurt by this short story so much grief and mixed feelings! It was beautiful though and a good addition to the first book!
Alexandria Nicole
When I first bought this I thought it was a mini prequel to the series, but then I find out it's just the first couple chapters of WITHER. At the end there is an additional chapter from a different characters POV, which I don't think we get at the end of Wither, and I think a chapter of FEVER (the next in the series). I wish I would have know this when I bought it. I liked the story, but I feel like I should have just bought WITHER.

THE FIRST BRIDE (a chapter) was interesting because it gives an
Alana
Nov 17, 2011 Alana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My star rating isn't for the story itself (all five pages of it in an eighty-two page download) because the story was fine enough even if it wasn't much of anything, but my rating is for the fact that this particular e-exclusive isn't quite worth even the $1.99. Several chapters of the existing book and only a single short chapter from Fever? Oh Simon & Schuster, you need just a little bit more for something like this to be satisfying.
Download this if it ever goes for free, but otherwise you
Book Sushi
Feb 06, 2013 Book Sushi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just started this book and its already annoying me. The description says its a short on Rose's point of view as the first bride, but so far its just a big extract from Wither. So Im actually having to skip a few pages... Why they couldn't put the POV first, i dont know....

well i managed to finish this. lots of skipping till i found the short, and I am dissapointed. Seriously, this was just a money making ploy...
Betty
Mar 05, 2012 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have been rated higher if it had been the prequel I thought it was. But the first part was the first six chapters of Wither, the next bit was a short story told from the perspective of a different character (which did function as a prequel of a sort), and then an excerpt of Fever. The Wither excerpt was good and made me want to continue with the book, but I already had it in the library and was planning on reading it next anyway.

The First Bride was a good read, nicely paced and a soli
Tara Day
Jan 28, 2015 Tara Day rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When they say "short story" they literally mean short story. But I really love Rose so I bought this sampler the other day. Rose's story is brief and simple, explaining how young she was upon meeting and marrying Linden. And the darkness that befell her after losing her child and succumbing to the virus. I wish I could have read more.
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
honestly I would not call this a seperate book. it contains the first six chapters of the first book and some content of the second. the only addition is a short story of about ten pages.
Myndi
Nov 18, 2015 Myndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to be able to see how Rose and Linden came to be a couple who actually cared for each other in this world. Interesting to see Rose's thoughts and not just words to others as she spiraled towards her own imminent death. I think I could have really liked Rose had she been around a bit more in the first book.

This book also had a teaser of book 1 and a preview of book 2, but since I'd already read book 1 and I have book 2 waiting for me, I chose to just read the bonus story.
Trisha
Apr 24, 2013 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a little disappointing.
Since it was only about 100 pages, I figured it would be maybe 25, 50, 25
25 pages to Wither
50 to new content
25 to Fever

Instead it was about 80 to Wither, 15 to Fever, and 5 to new content.

I was hoping for more new stuff. I would love to know Rose more.
but I'm glad to know she really did push Linden into marrying and finding a new muse. And their small amount of interaction was cute, but I'd love to know the history of her candies.....
Jun 07, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This was a bit pointless really. 77% of it was the first few chapters of Wither (So if you've read Wither, you've obviously read these already!), then there was a very short story about Rose and Linden - literally a few pages in which she tells him to remarry, and then that's it - on to an exceprt from Fever. Pointless.
5 out of 10
Lia Bree
Jediné, čo som čítala tu bola pár stranová poviedka "The First Bride" ostatné stránky boli len ukážky z prvej a druhej knihy + obrázok poschodia manželiek...Bolo to dosť depresívne, keďže sme mohli čítať o tom, ako Rose umierala - celý ten proces, ako vírus zabíja
Shannon
Jan 01, 2015 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This didn't add much to the story if you've read the whole series. While it added some additional details, I didn't feel like I had missed anything by not reading this. The title is apt, they are seeds of the Wither tales, but they are excerpts from the books I had already read and I felt like I was just rereading the edits that didn't make it that maybe should have just been included in the books. The story about Rose was very short, and I was expecting a little more about her life as First Wif ...more
Miranda Lynn

I don't really have much to say about this one. Only a few short pages long, there isn't much to base a review or rating on. It was interesting to get a glimpse of life with Rose and Linden together before Rhine and the other brides come into play, but not much happened. It was basically just the story of her getting sick and telling Linden that he needed to consider remarrying after her death.

It was a nice read, but it was barely long enough to qualify as a short story — I just wish t
Sandra
Feb 10, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
This was okay... I'm glad I only paid 99cents for it. I skipped over the chapters from Wither because I've already read that. Rose's story was extremely short and not anything we didn't already know.
Marcia
Jun 30, 2015 Marcia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a big dissappointment.. :(

The ebook contained the first chapters of Wither and a teaser of Fever, but I already read both of this books.. So only the short story The First Bride was new to me, but it was way too short to get a connection with Rose (Linden's first wife). I hoped to get to know Rose better, but the story was about nothing actually and only a few pages..

Even if you're a big fan of the The Chemical Garden trilogy I wouldn't recommend this ebook.
Kristilyn
As much as I loved reading the first two books in the Chemical Garden trilogy, I have to admit that I was disappointed by this release.

Seeds of Wither is an esampler book, which contains a few chapters of Wither, the first book in the series, a short story from Rose's perspective, The First Wife, a map of the wives floor in the mansion, and the first chapter of Fever, the second book in the trilogy.

I really wanted to like this, but I think that I entered it with too-high expectations. Having al
JudgyK
Sep 20, 2012 JudgyK rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In my review of The Shadow Cats, I explained the trend of YA series to publish an e-book between two full novels to promote and, in theory, provide new and interesting information to fans of the series that they otherwise would not know. The Seeds of Wither is one of such e-books, but it does not manage to do damn near anything useful. I want my $.99 back. It was wasted.

The Seeds of Wither purports to give you new and exciting information about (surprise, surprise.. the background of Wither) Lin
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Full review and current Fever Giveaway at: A Belle's Tales (Ends 4/7/12).

If you loved Wither as much as I did, then you will definitely enjoy Seeds of Wither. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the new content in Seeds of Wither is minimal, but good things come in small packages. While Rose’s story is a short story, indeed, I love the insight it gave into Rose’s and Linden’s history - so lovely! The excerpt from Wither was an excellent reminder of how much I enjoyed that story, and the s
Carina Olsen
Feb 12, 2013 Carina Olsen rated it it was amazing
I've had this short story ever since it got published in late 2011. And now I finally read it :) And yeah, it was a whole lot shorter than I had thought. Although this ebook is more than one hundred pages, that's just because it's several chapters of Wither. Which is kind of awesome, if you don't have the book. There's also a preview of Fever, which is kind of cool. But then there is the real short story, which is only a few pages long.

The First Bride is a short story told from the point of view
Lisa Ottone
The First Bride is literally only a few pages long, but it gives you a peek into Rose's life before Linden took any other wives. Rose describes herself as a little girl who is forced into marriage at the tender age of 11, which in our world seems so young. The world she is living in is completely different, and while Rhine is determined to defy authority, Rose is much more accepting of it. She knows the world is in chaos and that it is easier to live as a prisoner than it is on the outside. She ...more
Danielle
Nov 18, 2014 Danielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I wanted something short to read just because I have been so busy with school I have not been able to enjoy reading anything just for pleasure. I saw this on my kindle shelf and decided to give it a try, despite the fact it has been a while since I read this series. It was WAY shorter than I thought haha.

The short story is about Linden's first wife, Rose. And there's not much I can say about it except it was sad...interesting, but depressing.
Cici
Sep 15, 2012 Cici rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: extras
Since I'm in love with The Chemical Garden books, I HAD to get the Seeds of Wither. I read that this book had a few chapters from Wither and a few chapters from Fever, which it did, and I've already read and own both books so that wasn't very exciting for me. But what got me to purchase this little ebook is that it holds a short story about The First Wife, Rose. I love Rose. I couldn't wait to read more about her.
I was expecting more. This little story was very short and didn't give us much more
Nicole
Apr 08, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was basically pointless if you have read the other books. First, you get 5 chapters of Wither, which most likely, you have read if you were interested in purchasing this short story. It does include a sneak peek of Fever, but it really wasn't too great of a sneak peek.

So that leaves the short story, the First Bride. The story was short and decent. I found it moderately enjoyable, but it was nothing fantastic. However, it was SO SHORT. It was, by far, the shortest e-novella I have ever read
Bookbuyer
So this is a solid 3.5 star book for me. I was surprised and felt a bit stupid when I re-read the number of the book realizing it was 1.5 not 0.5.

I have read Wither before but I remembered next to nothing about it and the book didn't tease any wisps of memory from my mind.

I enjoyed Rhine as a character. Gabriel and Rose were also a delight. The husband was a bit boring since he was grieving in this novella but I think he will be a good love interest later on.

I didn't really like Cecily or Jane.
Katie
May 14, 2015 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
WARNING: This is an ebook sampler. I did not know this when I bought it and was greatly disappointed as only a portion of it was a short story from Rose's POV. The rest was samples from Wither and Fever.
Jeri York
Feb 05, 2014 Jeri York rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have to buy the book to read it, DON'T! There is only one chapter from Rose's point of view, the first part is just the same from the first book, and the last part is the second book.
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy #0.6)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Treachery (Nightshade, #2.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • 'Til the World Ends (Blood of Eden, #0.5)
Lauren DeStefano (pronounced: de STEFF ano) is a lawn gnome enthusiast and New York Times bestselling author of some books, which you can find listed below this bio. For the first six years of her life, she thought she was a mermaid and still has her suspicions. When she isn't writing, she is often composing tweets that make as little sense as possible. They can be found here: https://twitter.com/ ...more
More about Lauren DeStefano...

The Chemical Garden (3 books)
  • Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)