Władcy czasu

Władcy czasu (Doctor Who Library (Target) #64)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Novelization of the Doctor Who TV episodes/story of the same name.

Time itself is in peril! The three Doctors are united against an old enemy from the distant past of Gallifrey...

Vital cosmic energy is draining into a black hole and the Time Lords are under siege. The Doctor is their only hope but, trapped in the TARDIS, he's powerless. The only way out is to break the Firs...more
Published 1994 by Empire (first published November 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Władcy czasu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Władcy czasu

Michael
A strange creature emerges from a weather balloon with a mission to hunt the Doctor. On Gallifrey the Time Lords monitor a strange power loss, tracking it back to a black hole. In desperation they decide to break the First Law of Time.
Whenever I think of the tv version of The Three Doctors I think of it as the one with the 'comedy Brigadier'. Back when I was a kid though it was the one with the 'thingy' that made folk disappear. That 'thingy' scared the heck out of me.
Terrance Dicks goes to town...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I re-read this recently. I think these novelisations are my favourite form of this franchise. They cover the vintage era, which I like better than the slick current stuff, but they allow me to create my own, far more effective, special effects in my mind's eye. This was a pretty gripping story with its glimpses into Time Lord history and the multiple Doctors. I can't say anything deeper than that, I revert to being 12, mentally at least, when I read these books and that can be a most rewarding e...more
Michael
This is one of the few Target novels I didn't read growing up. Whether it was because it was never available in any of my local bookstores or that I was just a bit underwhelmed by the story when I first saw it, I'm not sure.

But listening to it now as an audio book and realizing that this is the version of a story that a generation of "Doctor Who" fans grew up with, I can see why it's so beloved. Terrance Dicks' adaptation of the tenth anniversary story adds a few elements that the television st...more
Christian Petrie
Here we have the first time in Doctor Who multiple Doctors meeting for a single adventure. It turns out to be an average adventure. In thinking back to this story, it has been a month since I read it, what is the best way to sum this up for someone? Average.

The plot involves blobs making people and things disappear. The Doctor is working on trying to solve it, while the Time Lords are needing him to help out. Only by the combination of two Doctors, the First Doctor is this just for advice, can t...more
Adam James
More fascinating than anything, The Three Doctors, the novel, must be way more enjoyable to active Doctor Who fans than newcomers. I'm not entirely convinced that Terrance Dicks is able to explain or describe the events or characters in a understandable way to non Doctor Who fans. Trying to distinguish between which Doctor is doing what, and why the Time Lords have stranded the Doctor on Earth, and making sense of the techno-babble of Omega's anti-matter dimension must be terribly frustrating to...more
Valerie
I'd've liked a little more detail about how things made of matter were stabilized in the antimatter universe--might be useful against future need, eh?
Andrew
Ah well I must admit these classic Doctor Who stories are very addictive. They are reprints of the original Target publications from the 1970s along with a new introduction with current authors and Doctor Who aficionados who have their own recollections.
This is a perfect example - taken from classic episodes aired at the end of 1972 - this brings together the first 3 doctors to work together to deal with a problem that challenges even them. The story line is crisp and the dialogue captures the d...more
Sarah Sammis
Doctor Who and the Three Doctors by Terrance Dicks builds on Doctor Who and the War Games although there are a number of adventures (and three seasons) in between the two.

The Third Doctor is still stuck on Earth and is working for UNIT. Meanwhile a probe studying energy signals from deep space has picked up a hitchhiker in the form of a superluminal signal carrying an antimatter blob intent on capturing the Doctor. To save the universe the Time Lords back on Gallifrey must break one of their car...more
Adam Graham
This is a decent enough novelization of the Three Doctors story. You won't get a whole lot of new insights on the characters or what was going on from this book. What you will get if you've seen is a book that will allow you to replay this classic Doctor Who story in the theater of your own mind without having to watch a DVD or wait for a streaming video to load. It remains a classic and much beloved story with the first meeting of the Doctors and the introduction of Omega.
Mel
I've long been interested in the story of the Three doctors and it was nice to finally be able to read the novel and find out what it was all about. I think my favourite part was the bickering between two and three. They were just so different it was interesting to see how the three people actually being the same person was handled. But the characterisation of all three was done very well. The villan and the storyline felt a little contrite but it did have some great moments. One of my favourite...more
Diana
It's much the same as the TV edition. I enjoyed it as a break from the epic series I was reading. A quick light read. Love how the First Doctor sees the other two as "a clown and a dandy". Their squabbling adds humour to a good SF adventure yarn.
Jack Iles
This was very short, but very sweet. It wasted no time jumping into the action, and was hilarious to see the Second and Third Doctors at odds with one another. To be fair, if I met my old self, I'd probably think he was a bit of a twit too.
Taksya
Trasposizione letteraria di una delle avventure del Terzo Dottore, affiancato per l'occasione dalle prime due incarnazioni.
Come tutte le storie che coinvolgono i Time Lords le cose sono apparentemente ingarbugliate e la presenza di più di un Dottore mette in crisi anche lo stolido Brigadiere e i vari companion di turno... ma, come spesso capita, il Dottore aiuta se stesso nel migliore dei modi e il cattivo di turno (è uno spoiler dire che si tratta di Omega?) verrà eliminato, per il momento alme...more
Jon Arnold
It's impossible for me to be objective in this review. This was the first DoctorWho book I ever bought, way back at they awn of the 80s. As such it's got a special resonance for me, something that's a direct line back to childhood. And for that alone it gets five stars. Add to that the memories of seeing it as part of the Five Faces season and this is one of my favourite stories as it means so much. It helps that it's a suitably mythic story, the Doctors reuniting to battle a Time Lord legend. I...more
Travis
The very first Doctor team up story! Very cool, love the interaction between the Doctors and especially how Doctors three and two never seem to get along.

Only gripe is Doctor number three tends to get too much time in the spotlight and the others are treated a bit like sidekicks.
I know part of this is due to William Hartnell being ill during filming of the episode, but still think the action could have been more of a fifty/fifty split between the other two.

Fun story with a cool cosmic villains a...more
Leela4
Third Doctor, Jo, Brigadier, Benton. Brisk, a page-turner. One of the novelisations that's an improvement on the aired show, as the production capabilities of the time couldn't meet the demands of the script. Yes, the characterisation is a bit heavy-handed and a few of the really fun moments in the show either didn't translate well or aren't in the book at all, but all in all a step above. No significant additions other than vastly better special effects and set dressing (!), and the villain has...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1037395.html#cutid6[return][return]This is one of the novelisations that is so much better than the original that the TV version is a real disappointment - the stupid music, the lousy special effects, the clumsy resolution of the story all either absent or fixed on the printed page. It is not one of the great novelisations but it is nonetheless very enjoyable.
Douglas Jones
I am a fan of Doctor Who. I picked up Doctor Who: The Three Doctors yesterday (11/30/13) and only going to read a little of it, because I have seen this four part episode about a month ago and was curious how faithful this novelised adaptation would be. Have no fear, even though I new how it turns out I could not put it down. Loved it!!!
Mitchell Fobbester
It's good, doesn't add anymore to the story of the episode but you do get to use your imagination instead of the bad special effects. i was hoping for more history about Omega and his life and his imprisonment but what can you do. A little more bickering between doctors 2 and 3 would have been nice, it was great in the episode.
JParsons1974 Parsons
This is story of how the Time Lords got time travel and the consequences that came upon them. Three Doctors violate the laws of time and come together to save the universe and time itself. Short fun read with insights into the early history of the Doctor and the Time Lords. Definitely worth reading and buying.
Stacey
Sep 24, 2011 Stacey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
I haven't seen much of the classic series, to my shame, but have read a few of those target novelisations, and I have to say that this was one of the best. It thrilled me and made me laugh, and relationships the Doctor has with his companions are much more believable than I would have thought. I loved this book :)
stormhawk
Eventually becoming an established theme in Doctor Who stories, The Three Doctors, for the first time brings together different incarnations of the Doctor in a tense adventure that also reveals information about the origin of the Time Lords' abilities to control and travel in time.
Nicola Muzsla
Another great read from the master of Doctor Who stories. this one added to the TV episode and managed to make it better. I loved the extra details like the purple sky and the description of the gel guards. Was really easy to follow and a quick read.
Daniel Kukwa
It's a great story in the novelization -- brimming with all the epicness, humour, thrills and chills that the televised version is sorely missing. Another big thanks to Uncle Terry for editing our memories for the good with this adaptation.
Anandh Sundar
One of the best books in the series. Gives a good flavour of time Lord history. When the universe is threatened by a huge black hole sucking out matter, the Doctor's 3 incarnations have to collaborate to achieve success. Awesome read
Simon
This is the novelization of the 10th anniversary episode of Dr. Who and it was a pretty good one. This is pretty weak adaptation though. Terrance Dicks kind of phoned in the descriptions with "blob men", etc.
Rich Meyer
Excellent story for the 10th anniversary of Doctor Who, featuring all three Doctors. Another nigh-Quatermassian tale with some good characterization and a lot of action and fun!
S.e.
Good narration from Katy Manning (Jo Grant from the series). Nice to re-visit the classic Doctor Who stories!
Becci
I read this long before I ever saw the episode...
Lori Barnes
These Doctor Who books are jolly fun!
  • Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who #015: The Daemons
  • Doctor Who: Castrovalva (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who And The Crusaders
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 33)
  • Doctor Who and the Zarbi (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who and the Masque of Mandragora (Target Doctor Who Library, No 8)
  • Doctor Who: The Aztecs (Doctor Who, #88)
  • Doctor Who: The Myth Makers (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Doctor Who: The Infinity Doctors
  • Doctor Who: Illegal Alien
  • Doctor Who: Remembrance of the Daleks (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Love and War
Terrance Dicks is an English writer, best known for his work in television and for writing a large number of popular children's books during the 1970s and 80s.

His break in television came when his friend Malcolm Hulke asked for his help with the writing of an episode of the popular ABC (ITV) action-adventure series The Avengers, on which Dicks received a co-writer's credit on the broadcast. He als...more
More about Terrance Dicks...
Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors Doctor Who and an Unearthly Child Timewyrm: Exodus Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen (Doctor Who Library Target, #1) Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (Target Doctor Who Library)