Start by marking “Good Omens” as Want to Read:
Good Omens

Good Omens

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  323,259 Ratings  ·  13,800 Reviews
According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be go
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published November 10th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Good Omens, please sign up.

Maddie The line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape…moreThe line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape itself is not the joke.(less)
Sharon J The best, the funniest, the most thought provoking book about the nature of good and evil that I have ever read. An all time favourite that I will…moreThe best, the funniest, the most thought provoking book about the nature of good and evil that I have ever read. An all time favourite that I will probably re-read ten more times before I die. This is a classic and it is tragic that Terry Pratchett is suffering from early onset dementia. The BBC is putting this out as a radio drama in the very near future. (less)

Jeremy Zerbe
May 28, 2008 Jeremy Zerbe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember back when funny books were funny? Back before you went to college and found out that Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen weren't funny after all, but Samuel Beckett and Charles Dickens were hilarious? Remember when the words on the page didn't just make you smile wryly and shake your head in shame for humanity, but actually made you laugh out loud? Well, that's the kind of humor that Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 1990 release Good Omens brims with, and it is so damn good.

The two British aut
Manny
I somehow ended up reading them both simultaneously. So I couldn't help wondering

What Madam Bovary Might Have Thought Of Good Omens

Three days later, a package arrived; there was no return address, but she immediately recognised Rodolphe's hand. It contained a paperback novel, whose title was Good Omens. Feverishly, she cast herself over it. Her English was poor, but, with the aid of a dictionary, she persevered and soon made great progress.

The more she read, the greater her bewilderment became.
Nataliya

In my personal hierarchy of books, this one comes a close second after Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. What can I say - like (diabolical) father, like (infernal) son.
"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

In a way, I can view this book as my own personal therapy session - that is, in addition to it being a h
Derek
Feb 07, 2008 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this book was a huge disappointment for me. I’d heard so many good things about it and had been meaning to read it for years. When I finally started it, I was about 20 pages into it and thought, “Yes! This is going to be one of the most entertaining books I’ve ever read.” It was like reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide for the first time again. It was witty and fast-paced and had so many brilliant things to say about society and religion. And then about halfway through, I realized that I jus ...more
Cecily
description

Don’t be misled by those who class this as fantasy, humour, or just fiction.

This is actually a profound philosophical and theological treatise, exploring good and evil, nature versus nurture, free will, war, pollution, and organised religion.

But it’s cleverly disguised as a madcap caper featuring angels, demons, the M25 motorway, Manchester, raining fish, dolphins, Atlantis, aliens, the Apocalypse, the young Antichrist, Americans, footnotes for Americans, tunnelling Tibetans, witches, witch-fi
Felicia
Mar 21, 2009 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, fantasy
One of my all-time favorite books. Up there with Hitchhiker's Guide.
Kyle Nakamura
Mar 12, 2008 Kyle Nakamura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't take their spirituality too seriously
This has got to be one of the funniest satires I've ever read. I suppose the closest comparison I could make is to describe it as a literary sibling to Dogma, but filtered through a distinctly British lense. That description doesn't really do the story justice, but that film definitely hits me in the same place as the book.
The whole premise, and I'm not giving much away here, begins with the accidental "mis-placement" of the infant Antichrist during a complex baby-swapping procedure intended t
J.G. Keely
I read this book before I tried to tackle Pratchett on his own merit, so I may have to retroactively skew this review based upon what I now know. The book is enjoyable, but may suffer from the fact that it represents its two authors at what seems to be their most basic states.

There is no question as to the recognizability of both Gaiman's and Pratchett's respective styles here, but neither seems to add anything to the other. One of Gaiman's weaknesses is surely his general lack of humor. Anythin
Lyn
Dec 15, 2014 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 2114 and in an upstairs apartment in Lower Tadfield, Oxfordshire, England four people – Marge, Ron, Neville and Madam Tracey – sit around a table. They are gathered for a séance.

Madam Tracey: I can feel my spirit guide approaching.

Marge: Ooooo, this is exciting!

Madam Tracey: [In a dark brown voice] How! [Then in her normal voice] Geronimo is that you? [And again in the deep voice] Yes, this’n is me.

Neville: This is just like in that old book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good O
Jen
Aug 11, 2007 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually feel a little bad giving this 2 stars, since I see so many reviews of people who loved this book. Unfortunately, I'm just not one of them.

I usually like Pratchett's work, and there are a few comic touches that I liked here, but overall the unbelievably slow pace of the latter half of this story nearly drove me bonkers. It skips over about 10 years in a few chapters, and then camps out at 6 hours 'til doomsday for hundreds of pages. The dialogue of the children was tiresome, and the o
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
No getting around it, it IS funny! Clever satire that’s harmlessly irreverent. I wasn’t rolling on the floor or anything but I had 4 (I counted) laugh-out-loud moments, a few good giggles & a smile on my face throughout. A great story that moves along very nicely, as Good and Evil (as represented by the angel Aziraphale & the demon Crowley) join forces to try & avert the apocalypse. Definitely held my interest.
The interplay between these two was what really made the story, liked it
Anne
Jan 11, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jill joyce
Reread 2014
I read American Gods not too long ago, and while I liked it, it didn't turn out to be a favorite. So I wondered if maybe I shouldn't go back and check this one out. You know, see if it was really as good as I remembered?
Huh.
It was actually better. Hilarious!
The 5 star rating stands!

Original review 2009

Good Omens is going to have to go down as one of my favorites! I wouldn't say that I laughed out loud, but I snorted once or twice and smiled the whole way through! Who would have thoug
Lena
Jan 21, 2008 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I find if very difficult not to like a book about how plans for Armageddon hit a snag when a scatterbrained Satanic nun misplaces the Antichrist.

Many of the reviews of Good Omens compare it to Douglas Adams. There are some similarities in that much of the story occurs outside the bounds of normal reality, it's genuinely funny, and very British. But I found the overall tone to be softer, less snarky, and more intentionally philosophical in nature.

While the book is very entertaining, it also ask
Helen 2.0
-----7/1-----
Good Omens is a book about the Antichrist and the end of the world. But don't worry, it's not all sad! In fact, most of it is hilarious. The angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley are each tasked with finding the Antichrist as a baby and swaying him over to their respective sides; heaven or hell. However, through a misunderstanding they lose the Antichrist and he grows up to be a normal human boy. As a result, Armageddon goes off with a few hitches.

It was just as good as I expected
Buffy
Sep 23, 2010 Buffy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't for the life of me understand the good reviews that this book has received. I consider myself a person with a great sense of humour. Though I found Crowley an extremely enjoyable character, I could not bring myself to finish this book. All of these characters thrown in and abrupt switches of storyline annoyed me and made me refuse to finish it.

This book tries way too hard to be "wacky". There is no naturalness to the flow of the humor. Speaking of which, there is no naturalness to the p
Samantha
Aug 14, 2007 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone except those with no sense of humor or those who take the Book of Revelations seriously
Shelves: funny-satirical
Oh. My. God.

This was one of the funniest books I have ever read. The writing was phenomenal and I could see myself and others I know in many of the quirky characters.

Good and Evil's earthly representatives discover that the time for the Apocalyse has arrived and they're not too happy about it. You see, they've grown to like life on Earth. And besides, Evil (with a capital 'E') itself couldn't possibly do worse things to mankind than what mankind does to itself.

And the antichrist's name is Adam,
Nikoleta
Feb 21, 2017 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, cute-funny
Εντάξει, αυτό το βιβλίο μπορεί να μην είναι η γρήγορη περιπέτεια, με την έντονη δράση, αλλά είναι η πιο κεφάτη και αστεία εκδοχή για τον Αρμαγεδδώνα, που μπορεί να δει ή να διαβάσει άνθρωπος!
Αυτή η ζωηρή, τσαχπίνικη, καυστική και φλύαρη αφήγηση που κάνει «μπαμ» ότι έχει βάλει το χεράκι του ο αείμνηστος Pratchett, θα μου μείνει αξέχαστη.

«Πρέπει να το παραδεχτείς πάντως, ήταν λίγο φάρσα το πράγμα», είπε ο Κρώλυ. «Θέλω να πω, δείχνεις το Δέντρο και λες "Μην αγγίζετε" με μεγάλα γράμματα. Δεν είναι κ
Mario
“I don't see what's so triffic about creating people as people and then gettin' upset cos' they act like people", said Adam severely. "Anyway, if you stopped tellin' people it's all sorted out after they're dead, they might try sorting it all out while they're alive.”

Neil Gaiman + Terry Pratchett = Perfection

Let me start this review with saying that if you're not so open minded hardcore religious person. do yourself a favor and don't read this book 'cause you might end up really, really hating
E.H.
Sep 15, 2007 E.H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to be happy
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
So, funny story. I was reading this book (re-reading, really) during a recent training session for my job (a fairly tedious process - the training, that is - which involves sitting in front of a computer for long hours listening to boring presentations about the software). The guy who was sitting next to me was reasonably attractive and rather chatty, and he looked over and said, "What are you reading?"

"Good Omens," I said, and seeing that he obviously had no idea what it was, I added, "It's abo
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 17, 2008 Maggie Stiefvater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This novel spoof of THE OMEN is absolutely hilarious. From the four bikers of the apocalypse to adorable hell hounds, it's my absolute favorite offering from Terry Pratchett -- his humor mixed with Neil Gaiman's is absolute win in my opinion.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I read Good Omens shortly after joining GR but never bothered to write a review for it. I loved the book but don't remember a thing about it so there is no way I could review it now.

Following the recent "let's bump reviews" situation, some of us decided we'd had enough. Being on GR doesn't mean competing for 'likes'. I, for one, am only here for the wine. But I digress. Kat made an awesome little badge and Kelly came up with a brilliant idea: let's all bump our friends' reviews instead of ou
Negativni
Jan 11, 2017 Negativni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Genijalno! Što drugo reći?

Pratchett i Gaiman su se očito zabavljali dok su pisali ovaj roman i utrpali su u njega valjda sve čega su se mogli sjetiti, što povremeno remeti dinamiku i guši radnju, ali s druge strane, svaka rečenica je prožeta odličnim humorom ili genijalnim kritikama društva* tako da je ovo bio užitak za čitanje. Ismijali su: religijske dogme, nelogičnosti u Bibliji, predviđanje budućnosti, koncept sudbine, tv propovjednike, ljudsku prirodu, razne predrasude, špijune, kompjutere
Ken
Apr 12, 2008 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devil, satan
It is really hard to write good literary satire. Simple fact is that often satire goes too far over to the side of parody. When it crosses that line, it becomes bad mimicry rather than true satire. Think what This Is Spinal Tap would have been like if Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer just did an impression of the guys from Saxon – it would be funny for five minutes (if you actually knew who Saxon was) but ultimately the joke would get old. Over-parody leads to a stale joke an ...more
Madeline
Jul 02, 2014 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After being unimpressed with Neverwhere and dismissing it as Early Gaiman, I was delighted to read Good Omens and find that even though this was written several years before Neverwhere, it's just as good as Gaiman's later works. Possibly this is due to Pratchett's influence - at the end of the book, there's a nice afterword where the two authors talk about the process of creating the story and who was responsible for writing which parts. I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett before this an ...more
Deborah Markus
Aug 27, 2013 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flawless. That is, unless you're deeply and humorlessly religious, in which case you'll want an emergency bucket of holy water nearby to douse this book in after -- or possibly while -- you read it.

Do Protestants do holy water, btw? I always thought that was a Catholic thing. Then again, I thought Lent was only for Catholics, too, and then my Proddy friends started mentioning what they gave up for Lent and I was all, "Actually, I think giving up chocolate for a whole month is going a little ove
Uci
Apr 13, 2010 Uci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suatu hari Neil Gaiman dan Terry Pratchett (yang waktu itu katanya belum terkenal) ketemuan. Sambil minum-minum dan ngobrol ngalor ngidul, mereka iseng-iseng melontarkan ide untuk membuat buku bareng. Isinya, tentang segala hal yang bikin mereka jengkel, marah, mikir, senang, sedih, sinis, pokoknya segala hal campur aduk. Lumayan lah, daripada nganggur...

+ Tapi harus ada benang merahnya dong, masak cuma ocehan nggak penting?
- Hmm..ya udah tentang hari kiamat aja
+ Kenapa hari kiamat?
- Semua orang
Emer
This book is so very funny. It really is. I was very much enjoying it. At any other time in my life I just know I would have loved this book... But I can't bring myself to keep reading. I can't help but associate this book with a very sad occasion in my life and I need to pause reading it for now. I'm not calling it a DNF. Just a long pause...

Dearest book, it's not you it's me. I hope you'll forgive me.

Chesca
ACTUAL RATING: 4.5 stars

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch is a hilarious masterpiece that everyone should read at least once in their life.

In 1655, Agnes Nutter predicted that the world would end on a Saturday. She wrote a book that was published but never became a best-seller because it had the most exact prophecies unlike those written by others, and in fact, only one copy of it survived through the years. This said copy w
Alissa
Jan 05, 2017 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
DON’T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.

An angel who collects antiques and runs a bookstore religiously devoid of customers? A demon (“an Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards”) whose car turns every single cassette ('90s here) into a Queen album? Two representatives of Heaven and Hell who are both perfectly fine living on Earth thank you very much but the Armageddon is coming? The same two who lost the Antichrist?

“The Kra
Robert Beveridge
Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens (Ace, 1990)

So many people seem to consider this book the Second Coming of the Hitchhiker's Guide that I'm now scared to re-read Douglas Adams, for fear that my great enjoyment of the first three Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books was youthful folly rather than appreciation of great art.

Don't get me wrong, there are laugh-out-loud moments in Good Omens. But they are neither as frequent as they are in Gaiman's American Gods, nor are they couched in a
  • The Sandman: Book of Dreams (The Sandman)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • The Scar (Bas-Lag, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.” 2463 likes
“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” 1935 likes