Shadowboxing

Shadowboxing (Echoes #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Berlin, 1943. An encounter with an old friend leaves German physicist Dr. Kristopher Lehrer with doubts about his work. But when he confronts his superior, everything goes horribly wrong. Suddenly Kristopher and Michel, a member of the Resistance, are on the run, hunted for treason and a murder they did not commit. If they’re caught, Kristopher’s knowledge could be used to...more
Published January 20th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowboxing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowboxing

Simsala
4,5 stars

A book written with so much care and great attention to detail is a rare find in this genre.I've read many books using words and phrases in German language, but this is the first book where every word is correctly applied and written.
It reminded me of old-fashioned spy-novels.Told from almost every characters point of view in order to keep the story going with the occasional cliffhanger at the end of chapters but it worked and never got confusing.
Lots of dialogue and detailed descriptio...more
Christy B
Shadowboxing takes place in 1943 Germany. Dr. Kristopher Lehrer is on the run, accused of a murder he did not commit. He also possess knowledge that could be catastrophic if he's forced to reveal it to the Gestapo.

With Lehrer is Michel, a member of the Resistance. While on the run, the two develop strong feelings for each other, but both resist it with an uncertain future ahead of them.

A good story, but a bit wordy in some place. I started to realize this once I found myself skimming over paragr...more
Three Crow Press
Review by Lisa

War is hell.

And finding love amidst the chaos of war is nearly impossible, but that’s precisely what Anne Barwell’s characters do in Shadowboxing, the suspenseful and action packed story of romance and danger set against the backdrop of Nazi run Germany during World War II.

Kristopher Lehrer is the brilliant scientist from a socially prominent family who is working to invent the A-bomb, though he’s operating in a need-to-know situation in which his superiors believe he doesn’t need...more
Lou Sylvre
Forgive me as I digress before I get to the meat of my review of Shadowboxing. I want you to know why I was so keen on reading Anne Barwell's decidedly five-star story, and why I think it's a wonderful addition to the historical section of the gay romance shelves.

Recently I've seen an increasing number of TV news articles about the passing of the WWII generation, how few of those who fought are left. Sometimes the "human interest" is presented in such a way that the heroes of that war are distan...more
Ann
Enjoyed this so much more than either Cat's Quill or Magic's Muse. For me it had better pace and just as I like it lots more action though the ending leaves the reader wanting more. I sincerely hope the author produces a sequel sooner rather than later.
Susanne
Action-packed war-time thriller, that is well researched and peppered with lots of romantic moments.
Love to think that at some stage there might be a sequel out there.
Elizabeth Noble
4.5 stars. Very clearly this book is the start of a series, and it left me with a lot of questions. But that's the fun of a series, there is more to discover.
Rowena Sudbury
tacitus
I thought this story was meandering, long winded, and unrealistic. The gestapo were portrayed as idiots and the members of the resistance team were so terrible at their jobs that it was embarrassing. More than once, people are captured because they decided to stop running and talk, or have some dramatic emotional scene, when they should have BEEN RUNNING. Also, the notion that people could be caught by the SS and actually escape or be rescued is ridiculous and belittles the true nature of how ho...more
Kiki
2.5 there's a lot of running around, yet never getting anywhere ...
D
Where did the ending go?! So disappointed.
Keira Andrews
Keira Andrews marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Juliet
Juliet marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Sara Testarossa
Sara Testarossa marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Jen Crady
Jen Crady marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Deluge
Deluge marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Dana
Dana added it
Mar 03, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Feb 09, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Saura Underscore
Saura Underscore marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Agnes
Agnes added it
Sep 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Shadowboxing by Anne Barwell 1 10 Jan 20, 2012 07:56AM
Anne Barwell lives in Wellington, New Zealand. She shares her home with two cats who are convinced that the house is run to suit them; this is an ongoing "discussion," and to date it appears as though the cats may be winning.

In 2008 she completed her conjoint BA in English Literature and Music/Bachelor of Teaching. She has worked as a music teacher, a primary school teacher, and now works in a lib...more
More about Anne Barwell...
Cat's Quill Shades of Sepia (The Sleepless City, #1) A Knight to Remember Slow Dreaming Magic's Muse (Hidden Places #2)