Start by marking “The Shoppe of Spells” as Want to Read:
The Shoppe of Spells

The Shoppe of Spells

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When is a whole more than the sum of its parts?

When it has ties to the quaint little town of Ruthorford, GA, as Morgan Briscoe discovers when a cryptic message threatens to change her life forever. Morgan’s relatively normal life is turned on its ear when she learns not only that she is adopted, but her birth parents are dead and she now holds half-interest in a business
Paperback, 2nd edition, 320 pages
Published November 28th 2011 by Crossroads Publishing House (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shoppe of Spells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shoppe of Spells

Chelsea
I started this book out late last night and I gave up on my cleaning, so that I could devote all hours of the morning to this book.

Let me just say, I fell in love with not only all the characters in this book, but I also found a place in my heart for Ruthorford, Georgia as well.

I read a lot of paranormal books, sometimes a book a day. Do you know how hard it is to come up with a paranormal book that is unique and stands out? Because I read so much sometimes the books and authors blur together be
Romancing the Book
Review by Stephanie O: Recently laid off and gone through a break up, Morgan spends her days at her apartment working in her balcony garden of herbs. Until one day when a call would come in that would change everything.

In a matter of one afternoon, she finds that she is not the biological daughter of her “parents”, but that she was put up for adoption and her biological parents are dead. Decisions need to be made and Morgan is jetted off to meet her brother?!

Dorian isn’t actually her brother. Ho
Leanne
Adopted and didn't know it..... Morgan finds out her biological parents are dead and she has been left a large sum of money and half a business. The other half of the business belongs to a man called Dorian who was raised by her biological parents. Morgan is very weary of Dorian and Ruthorford. She finds herself unbelievably attracted to Dorian and he helps her learn the traditions and secrets kept by her biological parents. Things are a lot more dangerous and mysterious then she could even fath ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
a LASR 'BEST BOOK'!

originally posted at http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Morgan grew up with loving parents and knew they would always be there for her. She now has her own apartment and lives there with her cat Mrs T. Her problem is how to tell her parents she has lost her job and has also broken up with her boyfriend. Her life changes dramatically when a courier knocks on her door with a letter asking her to call a firm of solicitors.

Horror, anger and confusion overcome her as she learn
Krista
I was drawn into this story and I'm already wanting to jump into the next installment of The Gatekeepers. The Shoppe of Spells makes you wish for such magic and a town like Ruthorford to live in. And Dorian?.....sigh.....yes please. A real keeper.
Jennifer Anderson
Wonderful story. I couldn't put it down. If you're looking for a story with love, turmoil and a lot of magic, check this one out. I'm anxious for the next installment.
Shanon Grey
Jan 20, 2012 Shanon Grey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the re-packaged release of THE SHOPPE OF SPELLS. I hope you love the new cover as much as I do!
Sadie Forsythe
As a basic piece of fluffy entertainment I generally enjoyed this. The writing was pretty good and, though I noticed a few typos, it was fairly well edited. I liked both the main characters and Rutherford, GA sounds like the kind of place I would love to live. I did have a couple problems with the plot, however. These may not be the sort of thing that bother everyone. I'll just put that out there at the forefront. But I was annoyed.

First, I just didn't understand the logic of the bio parents. Th
Andrew Marcec
The Shoppe of Spells by Shanon Grey is a well written piece that plays within the new, and fast growing genre of "Supernatural Romance".

For audio review please check out my podcast Literary Wasteland: http://tinyurl.com/83cscb8

I was lucky enough to have been chosen to review this novel after winning the "Goodreads Giveaway" that was posted. I havne't dabbled too much in the supernatural romance, or any romance genre for that matter in almost all my years of reading, however I've alway been open
Karen R Kincel
Shanon Grey has done a marvelous job of creating a unique and mysterious town - Rutherford. Her characters come to life in The Shoppe of Spells, endearing themselves almost from page one. The story is unique and fascinating, weaving a spell that kept me turning the pages, almost as if I was in a trance. I couldn't stop reading until I knew what happened next...and next...and next. I didn't think I would like the genre, but she writes so well I got caught up in it. It was almost like I was a part ...more
Nancy Naigle
I love the new cover!! This is a great book. Not your average paranormal. You'll be swept away to the small town of Ruthorford, GA, fall in love with the hero - Dorian - and be surprised along the way. A wonderful story that will keep you flipping pages and then wonder how long you'll have to wait for the second - Meadows Keep.
Tracey Farley
I enjoyed this novel. Different premise than I expected, but still very good. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Nancy Naigle
Loved this book. A wonderful story in an unforgettable town that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Amy R
This was a very interesting read. I wasn’t sure what to expect since it is not my typical type of book I would pick up. I saw a lot of quotes from Shanon on Twitter and those quotes from the book are what led me to pick up this book. I am glad I did. It was a very neat story. Morgan was thrown into a life she never thought she would be living. She didn’t learn until she was an adult that she was adopted after her birth parents passed away leaving her a lot to learn about. She discovered she held ...more
Trixie Vardon
Sep 08, 2013 Trixie Vardon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes a bit of magic with their romance.
No spoilers...

Squeee!

Well! It's not often that I find an author that I get excited about, but I just have! Yes, I've added Ms. Shanon Grey book The Shoppe of Spells to my favorites shelf, as this warm and heart lifting book will be one that I will read again for sure.

Why did I like it: You know those books that you finish that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Yes? Well this book did that for me. Ms Grey can draw you a picture in your minds eye with words that are succinct, and yet she do
Liz at Fictional Candy
“A beautiful prison is still a prison.”
That’s how Morgan first felt when she found herself in the lush gardens of her new “home”. She’s been through a lot in a short period of time. She’s lost her job, broken up with her boyfriend, learned she was adopted and that her birth parents just died, inherited a herb/home remedy shop, and she is now expected to live in this new place and have this new life. Oh yeah, and this new life includes inter-dimensional creature removal where this creature causes
Nikki Brandyberry
The Shoppe Of Spells introduces us to the world of Ruthorford, GA. A unique community that centers around a quaint shop of herbs, candles and a bit of magic. Morgan has just found out she is co-owner of the shop after her birth parents die. The shock of finding out she was adopted and never told of her lineage is one thing but to also find she now owns and needs to make decisions regarding a store in the middle of no where Georgia is quite another. Taking a leap of faith Morgan head to GA to fin ...more
Ann Marie
This is not my usual genre but somehow I wound up reading it. It is about two people who have some sort of supernatural ability. Morgan (the female) is raised in an adopted home and does not know of her ability until her birth parents decease and she receives notice of her inheritance. Unknown to her, her birth parents later in life adopted a boy, Dorian, that also has the same abilities.

This is a tale of her learning about her new life/word, then the author throws in a bit of a mystery in it wi
April
Enjoyed the journey of Morgan learning about her heritage and meeting Dorian. Magic and romance are a pretty good combination.
K.
Overall, an enjoyable read in the genre of paranormal romance (thankfully no sparkly vampires or buff werewolves to be seen) and Shanon Grey has come up with a novel idea for her story (view spoiler).

I don't tend to read romance stories (I picked this up as it was free on Amazon) so personally I found the 'romance' part a bit tedious at times. I did, however, get drawn in once the action
Deena
I had really high hopes for this book, and while I might be willing to give it 2.5 stars, I was mostly pretty disappointed.

Everything about it was just... ok. Nothing was really horrible, but nothing really struck me as well done, or original. The characters were likable enough, the plot functioned, the world-building muddled along... Meh. I don't think I'd go out of my way to spend money on the second one.

(Incidentally, while it seems to have come out of a "real" publisher, the production value
Athenia Cato
Fabulous story, though I wouldn't recommend it for young readers due to the sexual content. Would have rated it 5 stars if it had been properly proofread before being put into print.
Sara
OMG! So I picked this up on one of those whimsical trips to B&N; it was in the recommended section and I had been feeling something paranormal ,but not vampire or werewolves. I figured what the hell!

HOLY CRAP!!! Best Decision EVER!

I can't even pinpoint the details that make this book so good, it just is! Well, I probably could but it would go on forever. It was so well written, I couldn't put it down (My favorite type of book) and read it in one day!

Recommend to everyone!
Sherri
The Shoppe of Spells was a surprisingly good read. A different take on paranormal romance. I thought it was well written and the characters were well drawn. Not a lot of background info on them, but enough to them likeable. The plot had the twists needed to keep you interested, and the ending came together nicely. I will be on the lookout for more of this series.
Tamala
I was captivated from the start. From the electrical connections between Dorian and Morgan to the Gulatiga. Those were pretty creepy and I found myself looking around my feet. Lol. I really enjoyed the romance, magic, and mystery of the entire story. I won't say what, but I'm ready for "Meadows Keep" and see what all happens to some of my favorite characters.
Alex Owens
This is a very creative, well-written novel with an interesting premise. In fact, it's one of the more creative and original ones that I've read in a while. I loved the magic / otherwordly aspect of it, the suspense kept me up way past my bed time and the central romance was electrifying ;-)

Def. a recommended read!
Linda
Great Cover, enticing title. That's the best of this book. I think it had great potential but for me it just didn't quite make it. Very repetitious, with flat characters. Took way too long to get anywhere. When it did finally arrive, I was glad to be done with it.
Ava
I was wrapped up around my tablet reading this book. couldn't and wouldn't be drag away from this book.
Paranormal book yes but not vampires and all.
not too many romance just enough to have a story and character.
MYSTERY fiction. .. yes a lot! I liked this book
Isis
What a fantastic love story! I was entirely drawn into the tale of Morgan and Dorian. Can't wait to read the next in the series! I highly recommend for everyone who enjoys a great love story. I'll definitely find myself drawn back to this book in the future.
  • Broken Heart Tails (Broken Heart, #8.5)
  • Cupid's Love Potion : Mystery of the Golden Arrow (Paranormally Yours, #2)
  • How (Not) to Kiss a Were Bear (Cindy Eller, #6 / Goldie Locke and the Were Bears, #4)
  • Window
  • Hotel Hex (Hex, #4.5)
  • Midnight Waltz
  • Redeemed (The MacKays #2)
  • Charmed Again (Halloween LaVeau, #2)
  • My Favorite Major
  • Dirty Dare: The Rescue (Dirty Dare, #1)
  • The Source ( Mountain State Vampire, #1)
  • The Warrior's Maiden
  • No Remorse (Heart of a Wolf, #1)
  • Curse of the Alpha: Episode 1
  • Eye Contact (The Conditioned #1)
  • The Patrician
  • Legally Wed
  • Wild at Heart  (The DeMarco Family, #2)
SHANON GREY weaves romance and suspense with threads of the paranormal. THE SHOPPE OF SPELLS is the first in her series, THE GATEKEEPERS, about the quaint town of Ruthorford, Georgia and its very special inhabitants. Meadow's Keep, Book II, is now available, as is her novella, PENNYROYAL CHRISTMAS.

Shanon spent her life on coasts, both the beautiful Atlantic and the balmy Gulf. Hurricane Katrina ta
More about Shanon Grey...
Meadow's Keep (Book II - The GateKeepers) Pennyroyal Christmas Lost Love Letters: An Indie Chicks Anthology All Bets Are On!