Start by marking “Un jour” as Want to Read:
Un jour

Un jour (Once #1-2)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  26 reviews
UN JOUR, je me suis évadé d'un orphelinat pour retrouver papa et maman. UN JOUR, j'ai sauvé une petite fille qui s'appelait Zelda d'une maison en feu. UN JOUR, je vivais dans une cave avec sept autres enfants, alors que je n'aurais pas dû. UN JOUR, j'ai fait rire un nazi avec une rage de dents. UN JOUR, j'ai fait mon premier voyage en train, mais je ne dirais pas que c'éta ...more
333 pages
Published January 13th 2011 by Des grandes personnes éditions (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Un jour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un jour

Cécile
Magnifique livre sur la seconde guerre mondiale.
Mix entre le film "la vie est belle" et le livre "l'enfant au pyjama rayé", "Un Jour" nous raconte l'histoire de Felix, garçon polonais de 10 ans qui s'enfuit de son orphelinat pour retrouver ses parents et qui se retrouve plongé dans l'horreur de la guerre.
Nous suivons donc les aventures de ce garçon qui déborde d'humour et d'imagination.
Si les histoires qu'il raconte et qu'il se raconte montrent, au début, sa naïveté d'enfant, on assiste tout au
Jayne Charles
You know that feeling when you get a book home from the bookshop and start reading it, and you realise it probably is a children’s book that was shelved in the adult section because the prose is really very childlike. And you read it even though the main character seems to remain in denial about what is going on around him for way too long, and you tell yourself OK, it’s because he’s a child and a child can’t cope with evil on that grand a scale. And you read the whole thing practically in one s ...more
Hannah
TITLE: Once and Then
AUTHOR: Morris Glietzman
PUBLISHED IN: 2009

BOOK DESCRIPTION: This book has two stories inside of it. These two stories are part of a four book series. The whole series is based on a young, Jewish boy named Felix surviving while the horrors of World War II surround him.
In the first book, Once, Felix is living in an orphanage in the Polish Mountains. He thinks this is because his parents have to travel lot's because of their job. However he is wrong. When he finds out that his
Julie
Quite a confronting book for young adults with the perspective of the horrors of the holocaust from a child's point of view. Really glad I had both books in one as it was a real page turner. A great read for boys 12+ and perhaps Yr 5 & 6
Paula
'Once and Then' is the story of Felix Salinger, 'Once' tells the first part of his story and 'Then' is the sequel, the books were made into one book in 2009 in preparation for the third and final part of Felix's story, 'Now', due for release on the 6th May of this year.

I added 'Once' to my wishlist after reading Janet's review and having never getting around to purchasing it, I was pleased to see the two books in one because I knew if I enjoyed the story I would want to know what happened next.
Faa
The way Felix understand war between the Germans and Jewish saddened me. Perhaps that was the way children thinking back then. Where at first they thought Adolf Hitler was a saviour and a great leader, but later as they saw their families been murdered mercilessly by Nazis; they knew that they should never again trust this man named Adolf Hitler.

The book depicted all gory scenes from the perspective of a child, who later grew matured due to all the sufferings he witnessed during his journey fro
ALPHAreader
Digitalenviromentalist
A story that reminds us of the cruelty of war and the conflict of religious beliefs. Felix is a young boy who is desperately wanted to find his parents. His attempt to look for them turned to be not easy as Felix thought but it brought him to a roller-coaster adventure, trying NOT to be detected as a Jewish orphan.

The author allows readers to feel what Felix wanted in life - rescuing Zelda and be part of his plan! It is a heartbreaking story - full of bravery, hope and imagination ... the only t
BookAmbler
Quick, powerful read. Far more hard hitting than "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" (which is the obvious book to compare this with).

It's a young teens book but I'm not sure I would have coped with it at that age!

You know how when you haven't had a cake for three years and eight months and you see a cake shop and you start tasting the cakes even before they're in your mouth? Soft boiled buns oozing with icing. Sticky pastries dripping with chocolate and bursting with cream. Jam tarts.
I'm doing tha
Lthelibrarylover
This book is a different perspective on Nazi Germany and how it affected young people at the time that had little understanding of what was happening and why. It is about a boy who escapes an orphanage to discover that the outside world has changed drastically. He returns home to find his parents missing and sets out on a journey to find them. On the way he finds a 6 year old girl out by herself after her parents are murdered and they become a family. The duo makes friends and family with strang ...more
Clarabel
Adorable ! Ce roman réussit le pari fou de parler de l'holocauste de façon légère et assez drôle. Car l'histoire est racontée d'après un jeune narrateur, dix ans seulement et d'une naïveté confondante, mais son innocence fait aussi tout le charme du livre ! Même face à l'adversité et aux pires horreurs, Félix continue de se raconter des histoires, de garder foi en la vie et en des lendemains meilleurs. C'est son immense candeur qui rend le roman si adorable et attachant. Ce livre devrait être in ...more
Ksboydie
Very moving, very sad. A Jewish boy, Felix, escapes from the shelter of his Catholic boarding house because he wants to find his parents. He was put there by his parents to protect him from the Nazis but he very innocently believes his parents are coming back. He runs away and finds a girl called Zelda, whose parents have been shot, and they travel together. The horrors of this time are very moving told through the imaginative and innocent eyes of this boy.
Vicki
Morris Gleitzman wasn't writing books when I was a kid so I'm catching up by reading Once & Then. I've read many books about the Holocaust and I'm amazed that the ones that made the greatest impact on me was written for children.
Becky
This was an interestingly sad, yet hopeful story written from the innocent perspective of a young boy in Poland in World War II. I enjoyed the premise, and the hope in spite of the tragedy happening all around.
Matthew Goldsmith
When I started reading it I kept getting annoyed at the main character but I was still trying to read as much of it as I could. I think Morris Gleitzman has done a great job and I highly recommend it
Gypsy
Sad and even more sad. I had to read this at school and I cried with my friend all the way through it. Only read this book if you want to cry and cry until your eyes hurt and even then you still cry.
Tiu (tiskies)
It was such a sad story but Felix was always doing what he could to protect himself and Zelda. Great and horrific book.
Miki♥
OMG!! Everyone go read this book. Really good book. Everyone has to read this book.
Becky
Really touching book. Made me cry. I would recommend this book to any one from 13 - 16
Tango Librarian
This poor kid in the orphanage! But what an interesting read!
Sheena
Wonderful books but be prepared for some shocks and lots of emotion.
Chloe
Oct 11, 2010 Chloe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
it is so sad but im happy they end up okay.
love Chloe
Michelle
One of the few books that will stay with me forever
Arwen
brilliant and heartbreaking
Eva
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kaniela Jackson
Kaniela Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Niv
Niv marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Timothy Chan
Timothy Chan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • The Girl from Snowy River
  • Dreaming of Chanel
  • Moon Pie
  • Paul Jennings' Funniest Stories
  • The Court of the Lion: A Novel of the T'ang Dynasty (T'ang Trilogy, #3)
  • Times to Remember
  • Surf Ache
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy
  • Sisterland
  • The Serpent's Children (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #1)
  • Toning The Sweep
  • Stealing Fire (Numinous World, #2)
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • Paddington Bear in the Garden
  • The Labyrinth Gate
  • Bad Faith: A Forgotten History of Family, Fatherland and Vichy France
  • Red Sky in the Morning
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman...
Once (Once, #1) Then (Once, #2) Now (Once, #3) After (Once, #4) Boy Overboard