Start by marking “Un jour” as Want to Read:
Un jour

Un jour (Once #1-2)

UN JOUR, je me suis évadé d'un orphelinat pour retrouver papa et maman. UN JOUR, j'ai sauvé une petite fille qui s'appelait Zelda d'une maison en feu. UN JOUR, je vivais dans une cave avec sept autres enfants, alors que je n'aurais pas dû. UN JOUR, j'ai fait rire un nazi avec une rage de dents. UN JOUR, j'ai fait mon premier voyage en train, mais je ne dirais pas que c'éta ...more
333 pages
Published January 13th 2011 by Des grandes personnes éditions (first published August 6th 2009)

Jayne Charles
Oct 30, 2013 Jayne Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know that feeling when you get a book home from the bookshop and start reading it, and you realise it probably is a children’s book that was shelved in the adult section because the prose is really very childlike. And you read it even though the main character seems to remain in denial about what is going on around him for way too long, and you tell yourself OK, it’s because he’s a child and a child can’t cope with evil on that grand a scale. And you read the whole thing practically in one s ...more
Matthew White
Feb 27, 2017 Matthew White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I read a book, about a young Jewish boy named Felix who had to escape the Nazis. He escaped an orphanage, and journeys through the Polish countryside. Then, he ends up hiding for his life, on trains to certain death and running from the Nazis.

The book has a writing style that younger readers can pick-up, and older readers can still enjoy. However, the book is written through the perspective of Felix, and it shows his opinions on his surroundings. Not knowing what happened to his family, Fe
Cécile
Jan 20, 2012 Cécile rated it it was amazing
Magnifique livre sur la seconde guerre mondiale.
Mix entre le film "la vie est belle" et le livre "l'enfant au pyjama rayé", "Un Jour" nous raconte l'histoire de Felix, garçon polonais de 10 ans qui s'enfuit de son orphelinat pour retrouver ses parents et qui se retrouve plongé dans l'horreur de la guerre.
Nous suivons donc les aventures de ce garçon qui déborde d'humour et d'imagination.
Si les histoires qu'il raconte et qu'il se raconte montrent, au début, sa naïveté d'enfant, on assiste tout au
Louise
Apr 26, 2014 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very moving and powerful. The venue used give a better feeling of the holocaust because numbers lose meaning, but one person's story gives a greater impact. He maintained the feeling of a young boy throughout the narrative.
Julie
Jul 12, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a confronting book for young adults with the perspective of the horrors of the holocaust from a child's point of view. Really glad I had both books in one as it was a real page turner. A great read for boys 12+ and perhaps Yr 5 & 6
Fiona Mitchell
Jan 07, 2014 Fiona Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story that is very sad with some horrific scenes. Couldn't put it down
ALPHAreader
Mar 20, 2012 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah
May 20, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TITLE: Once and Then
AUTHOR: Morris Glietzman
PUBLISHED IN: 2009

BOOK DESCRIPTION: This book has two stories inside of it. These two stories are part of a four book series. The whole series is based on a young, Jewish boy named Felix surviving while the horrors of World War II surround him.
In the first book, Once, Felix is living in an orphanage in the Polish Mountains. He thinks this is because his parents have to travel lot's because of their job. However he is wrong. When he finds out that his
Faa
Aug 18, 2010 Faa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way Felix understand war between the Germans and Jewish saddened me. Perhaps that was the way children thinking back then. Where at first they thought Adolf Hitler was a saviour and a great leader, but later as they saw their families been murdered mercilessly by Nazis; they knew that they should never again trust this man named Adolf Hitler.

The book depicted all gory scenes from the perspective of a child, who later grew matured due to all the sufferings he witnessed during his journey fro
Sarah Louise Leach
My twelve your old son read these books and enjoyed them so I thought I would share something with him by reading them too. I have now finished crying enough to review them. Gleitzman based the books around the story of Janusz Korczak and he has done a great service to that brave mans memory. The story centres around Felix a 10 year old Jewish boy in Nazi occupied Poland who at first, does not understand at all what is happening to himself and his country. The first few chapters are brilliantly, ...more
Paula
May 12, 2010 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Once and Then' is the story of Felix Salinger, 'Once' tells the first part of his story and 'Then' is the sequel, the books were made into one book in 2009 in preparation for the third and final part of Felix's story, 'Now', due for release on the 6th May of this year.

I added 'Once' to my wishlist after reading Janet's review and having never getting around to purchasing it, I was pleased to see the two books in one because I knew if I enjoyed the story I would want to know what happened next.
Toni
Jul 28, 2016 Toni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I have read by this author - and I hope to read many more. The fictional story of a 10 year old child, Felix, from a Jewish heritage living in Poland in 1942. From the opening paragraphs I was captured - the author has a descriptive manner that has the reader there, we could all taste the carrot soup and the joy when Felix realised he actually had a whole carrot in his soup. The adventures that follow are tinged with tragedy but through a child's eyes, so with a different out look ...more
Valentinap813
Sep 09, 2015 Valentinap813 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BookAmbler
May 07, 2012 BookAmbler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick, powerful read. Far more hard hitting than "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" (which is the obvious book to compare this with).

It's a young teens book but I'm not sure I would have coped with it at that age!

You know how when you haven't had a cake for three years and eight months and you see a cake shop and you start tasting the cakes even before they're in your mouth? Soft boiled buns oozing with icing. Sticky pastries dripping with chocolate and bursting with cream. Jam tarts.
I'm doing tha
Digitalenviromentalist
A story that reminds us of the cruelty of war and the conflict of religious beliefs. Felix is a young boy who is desperately wanted to find his parents. His attempt to look for them turned to be not easy as Felix thought but it brought him to a roller-coaster adventure, trying NOT to be detected as a Jewish orphan.

The author allows readers to feel what Felix wanted in life - rescuing Zelda and be part of his plan! It is a heartbreaking story - full of bravery, hope and imagination ... the only t
Jazmin Tamapeau
Mar 02, 2014 Jazmin Tamapeau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i decided to read this book because I have read other books from Morris Gleitzman and I enjoyed his style of writing. There wasn't anything major in the book that I disliked,but overall I really liked the book. The main character in this book is Felix. He is always a positive person and always thinks about other people in his life especially Zelda a little girl who he saves from a house fire, at one point in the book he looks after a woman who takes are of him and zelda from the nazais. Felix is ...more
Marie Carlino
This book is a different perspective on Nazi Germany and how it affected young people at the time that had little understanding of what was happening and why. It is about a boy who escapes an orphanage to discover that the outside world has changed drastically. He returns home to find his parents missing and sets out on a journey to find them. On the way he finds a 6 year old girl out by herself after her parents are murdered and they become a family. The duo makes friends and family with strang ...more
Clarabel
Nov 22, 2013 Clarabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii
Adorable ! Ce roman réussit le pari fou de parler de l'holocauste de façon légère et assez drôle. Car l'histoire est racontée d'après un jeune narrateur, dix ans seulement et d'une naïveté confondante, mais son innocence fait aussi tout le charme du livre ! Même face à l'adversité et aux pires horreurs, Félix continue de se raconter des histoires, de garder foi en la vie et en des lendemains meilleurs. C'est son immense candeur qui rend le roman si adorable et attachant. Ce livre devrait être in ...more
Roslyn Royle
Oct 13, 2015 Roslyn Royle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compulsive reading for all ages! Had to keep reading to find where this story would venture. Loved all the characters and their development and maturity as the stories progress. Loved it and highly recommend even for the younger readers. I was anxious that such a horrific setting was just not appropriate but Morris does a great job of educating as well as entertaining the realities of war and the innocent casualties that resulted for everyone.
Ksboydie
Oct 27, 2010 Ksboydie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very moving, very sad. A Jewish boy, Felix, escapes from the shelter of his Catholic boarding house because he wants to find his parents. He was put there by his parents to protect him from the Nazis but he very innocently believes his parents are coming back. He runs away and finds a girl called Zelda, whose parents have been shot, and they travel together. The horrors of this time are very moving told through the imaginative and innocent eyes of this boy.
Anvay Dixit
Mar 16, 2015 Anvay Dixit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic, thrilling, and saddening book. Once and Then, by Morris Gleitzman highlights the struggle of a Jewish boy in the time of the holocaust. How he ever so slightly escaped the Nazis on the death train. This book really engaged me. As it was one of my binge books, I finished it in one sitting. It brought a tear to my eye.
I reccomend this book to those who are emotionally very strong. Who can handle the extremely saddening incidents in this book.
melanie suares
Nov 03, 2016 melanie suares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly breathtakingly,read with tears in my eyes

Beautifully written from a 10 year old boys perspective about the holocaust.
It made me cry reading it. It honours all that were part of the holocaust with such integrity to the situation that all were in.
I feel honoured that I read this story and I can remember the people who were so badly taken or lived through the torture of WW2.
Ellie
This was a brilliant book, each chapter reveals a new twist and turn that makes it impossible for you to put down. I know some people may not have liked the style of writing, as it is written from a stream of child's thoughts, but I thought it gave a good perspective and kept the pace of the book. This reminds us of the horrors of this period of history which is something we must all ensure we never forget.
Linley
May 19, 2014 Linley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morris Gleitzman is an author I respect. He has a wonderful ability to put the right words together to tell a story and with these two stories he has done it again. Felix and Zelda will remain with me as will their haunting story of courage and survival. Recommended to Y9/10 who enjoy a good story told well.
Vicki
Morris Gleitzman wasn't writing books when I was a kid so I'm catching up by reading Once & Then. I've read many books about the Holocaust and I'm amazed that the ones that made the greatest impact on me was written for children.
Becky
Dec 14, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interestingly sad, yet hopeful story written from the innocent perspective of a young boy in Poland in World War II. I enjoyed the premise, and the hope in spite of the tragedy happening all around.
Matthew Goldsmith
This is one of those books that you can't put down, I thought it would take me a lot longer to finish this book but I just couldn't put it down and continued to read and read. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone at all. I like it because there are so little cliff hangers.
Rachel Mckitterick
Wow! Ohh. My. God. Once finished I just wanted to re-read it again it was that good. The ending was so sad and really pulled at my heart. The love between the two children and Genia was beautiful. Written through the eyes of a 10 year old boy, this is easily one of my favourite holocaust novels.
Marcella
Mar 22, 2014 Marcella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the many books that have been written and that I have read on the sadness of the Holocaust, these two accounts of the journey to truth of a little boy in search of his parents are those that I will remember the most and for the longest.
Tiu (tiskies)
Jun 16, 2013 Tiu (tiskies) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was such a sad story but Felix was always doing what he could to protect himself and Zelda. Great and horrific book.
  • The Girl from Snowy River
  • The Day the World Ended (Extinction, #1)
  • Cherub Series: Books 1-6
  • Dreaming of Chanel
  • Quiver of Arrows: Selected Poems, 1986-2006
  • Moon Pie
  • The Omega Scroll
  • Times to Remember
  • Sisterland
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy
  • The Court of the Lion: A Novel of the T'ang Dynasty (T'ang Trilogy, #3)
  • Paul Jennings' Funniest Stories
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • Surf Ache
  • Toning The Sweep
  • The Serpent's Children (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #1)
  • Paddington Bear at the Circus
  • Bad Faith: A Forgotten History of Family, Fatherland and Vichy France
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman...

Once (5 books)
  • Once (Once, #1)
  • Then (Once, #2)
  • Now (Once, #3)
  • After (Once, #4)
  • Soon (Once, #5)

“Dear Reader Once and its sequel Then are two parts of the same story, but they were written and published as two separate books. In this edition they are together for the first time. Felix and Zelda’s story came from my imagination, but it was inspired by a period of history that was all too real. My grandfather was a Jew from Krakow in Poland. He left there long before that time, but his extended family didn’t and most of them perished. Fifteen years ago I read a book about Janusz Korczak, a Polish Jewish doctor and children’s author who devoted his life to caring for young people. Over many years he helped run an orphanage for two hundred Jewish children. In 1942, when the Nazis murdered these orphans, Janusz Korczak was offered his freedom but chose to die” 1 likes