A Contented Mind
read ebook

A Contented Mind

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Sometimes it takes seeing the dream before we find the courage to face the nightmare. Without realizing it, bestselling author Meg Scott, stepped into the life of her dreams. A new beachfront home on the West Coast; a far cry from her secluded home shared only with her faithful Irish setter on Martha s Vineyard. A gig playing violin with a world renowned rock band about to...more
Published November 21st 2011 by Two Dog Press

Katie
While the book had an okay plotline, I felt that the writing in this book is one that resembles that of a Harlequin romance novel. There's no other way I can describe it. It was just, not good.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Music and love come together in A Contented Mind: Love, Hope and the Complicated Mess of Redefining One's Life. Life is not always a easy step from A to B. Sometimes we are forced to change paths. Sometimes we take detours. Sometimes we chose to hide our real self from the world. But whatever way we travel through life we are still moving forward whether we like it or not.

Meg, an author by trade and musician on the side, had a mix of life's obstacles thrown at her. She has struggled to face the...more
Samantha Janning
Samantha Hoffman is currently on tour with A Contented Mind and CLP Blog Tours. First, let me say I love the cover of this book. It immediately drew me in and I stared at for a few seconds just relishing the beauty. Mmm, good covers. Okay, moving on! Meg Scott, a bestselling author who keeps her writing identity under wraps, is forced to move after someone found out her identity and broke into her secluded home. She packs up everything and moves to a beachfront house on the West Coast with her f...more
GONZA
At first I thought that what I picked from Netgalley was something similar to a self help book, instead is a novel, a romance to be precise. Anyway I quite enjoyed it, the story was good and I loved the dog, which is something I really appreciate. Forget the Harmony romance anyway, this not a "simple love story", as if something like that exists, but a believable one, which is ok, if you are not looking for a prince charming story, riding his big white horse ;)

All'inizio pensavo di aver preso un...more
Lisa (Lost in Literature)
A Contented Mind was much deeper than I thought it would be at first glance. As Samantha says in her bio, "Life can get rough at times, loving oneself shouldn't be." and I think this message was loud and clear in this story.

Meg is consumed with issues from her past which are holding her back in her life, and she finds that she must deal with those issues before she will move on to a full and happy life she so deserves. Jadon is suffering from similar problems and finding it equally difficult to...more
Annie
A Contented Mind by Samantha Hoffman

I received this book from the author, as she dropped off a couple of her books to present to my bookstore in the hopes of carrying it for sale. I asked her if I could read it first, and she gladly accepted. I didn’t get a chance to read it immediately, but was able to settle down with it recently. That night I did not sleep, instead, I took a short nap between reading times. I was engrossed, and could not put it down. My eyes were drooping, and my head hurt, b...more
S.E. Babin
I thought this book had quite a bit of promise but it ended up being a read that I felt myself critiquing more than enjoying. While I thought Meg and Jadon had good chemistry, they were extremely uncommunicative until almost the end of the novel when all of a sudden when it seemed like they couldn’t get enough words in. I also thought they were on the angsty side using phrases like ‘I’d die without you,” “can’t live without you,” etc. Those are just examples and not direct quotes. For two adults...more
Kathleen
Meg Scott is a best selling author who uses a pen name to maintain her anonymity while living in seclusion in Martha's Vineyard with her best friend and constant companion, Bob, her Irish Setter. Her quiet private life comes to a frightening halt when an obsessed fan finds out her true identity and breaks into her house and assaults her. Feeling no longer safe in her home; unable to eat, sleep, think or work on her latest novel, Meg escapes Martha's Vineyard with Bob for a new seaside home in th...more
Stephanie
I thought that this was a beautifully written book. It made me feel happy, sad, and frustrated all at once. It was not quite what I was expecting based on the cover. It seemed like it was going to be a simple and stunning story, but it was that and so much more. Meg, the main character, is an author who also has a knack for playing the violin. She and her dog, Bob, are up for an adventure of a lifetime that will forever change their lives. It is impossible not to love them. I do not want to give...more
Debbie Means
When I first recieved this book, I didn't think I was going to like it very much, but it turned out to be fantastic! I did not expect it to be that much of a love story, and I thought there would be more tragedy in it. Nonetheless, it made a great love story that was not all mushy gooshy, although towards the end it was a little cheesy. The characters seemed like real people with emotions I could relate to. And the writing was done beautifully. I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
Crystal Mills
If this book were a man I'd marry it - I loved it! Its very descriptive, which gives it a throw back to the classic feel, except that its in a fast moving contemporary setting. Unlike many current novels it isn't in a rush to get the finish line. Its a story and plays out as life plays out, with twists and turns. The characters felt just as real as my own family and I feel in love with each and every one. I couldn't put it down and read it almost in one sitting.
This book kept me wanting more. A perfect love story with twists and turns that made this book a page turner. As a goodreads book, I'm glad that I won this one. Most love stories have real graphic love scenes and while this one did not, it was the way characters meshed together that made this book flow. The ending was a sad and happy at the time. Even as the last words were read, I was still left with a smile on my face. Amazing!!!!
Rachael Malik
This book was an incredible piece of writing, well thought out and put into words to set a mental movie in the mind of the reader. The characters were so well in detail, throughout the entire book I couldn't stop thinking what was going to happen next or what I was going to feel. Emotions ran high while reading it, some characters I really didn't like at all and with others I just loved. This is a 100% must read for sure!!
Debra
The descriptive words in “A Contented Mind” were so eloquent that at times I was not sure whether I was reading a novel or standing and gazing at a beautiful painting. It was the best escape that I have had in a long time and the underlying message of personal reinvention was very powerful. A great read that I highly recommend!

Debra Pizzo
College Bookstore Buyer
Samantha Hoffman
Jul 19, 2012 Samantha Hoffman added it  ·  (Review from the author)
"A Contented Mind by Samantha Hoffman heralds the appearance of an important and deeply entertaining voice in American fiction. The story is lyric, richly observed, and a tour de force."

Nicholas Ellison
Former editor-in-chief of Doubleday/ Delacorte
Owner of The Nicholas Ellison Agency
Matthew Smith
First book I have read from this author. I enjoyed the parallel story lines that were different and yet they were intertwined. From the seemingly inside knowledge of the author, I wonder is she was in a band at some point. At any rate, an excellent choice for a quiet evening read.
J 'gywenivere'
Mar 08, 2012 J 'gywenivere' marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-wish-list-book
I am glad I found this before the giveaway closed. I love the start new try different things I hear in the description of this book. Not being married myself and wanting to be an author, it makes me think that things are never to late=)
Julie Rodriguez
I won this book on goodreads. Excellent book and very well written. I could not put this book down. This was a powerful and realistic story that I will highly recommend to everyone to read.
Diane
I read this book in a day and a half! Could not put it down! Loved Meg and Jadon! Great romance without the big sex scenes!!!
Paula
An amazing read! Hoping for more from this author, and soon.
Sunmi
Nov 11, 2012 Sunmi added it
not really my type of book but it was good
Emily Dentler
Love this! Romance + music = win :)
Kaylee Mckay
Kaylee Mckay marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Jenn Lile
Jenn Lile marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Lauryn Hally
Lauryn Hally marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2012
Moemoe
Moemoe added it
Aug 28, 2012
Amy Soler
Amy Soler marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2012
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
Tracey Cramer-Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
4194708
Samantha’s current books, works and projects include:
The popular blog: Insanity, A Writer’s Commentary On All Things. Her post, Loved By Me, was awarded and featured on the Freshly Pressed Wordpress feature page.

The contemporary romance novel, A Contented Mind, it’s sequel, Chasing Nirvana, as well as the children’s chapter books, Dainty Delaney and the Carnival Shoes and Dainty Delaney and Ol’ Bl...more
More about Samantha Hoffman...
Dainty Delaney and the Carnival Shoes (Dainty Delaney, #1) Dainty Delaney and Ol' Blue Chasing Nirvana