Start by marking “Sweet Savage Eden (Cameron Family Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Savage Eden (Cameron Family Saga #1)

Sweet Savage Eden (Cameron Family Saga #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  674 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From bestselling author Heather Graham comes the first book in her new North American Woman series--an early 17th-century tale of love between Jassy, the illegitimate daughter of an actress and a Duke, and Jamie, an arrogant nobleman, who leave England and journey together to the New World.
Published February 1st 2012 by Dell (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Savage Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Savage Eden

Karla
I've put off writing this review long enough, and not just because I've been up to my elbows in dirt most of this vacation and waving off the bugs who love to feast on my sweet, sweet blood.

It was good that I'd been prepped to the hair-ripping brattishness stubborn feistiness of the heroine before I'd even started, because I might have DNF'd it. But, my loins properly girded, I found it not as bad as I'd feared. In fact, the hero and heroine had a Steve Morgan & Ginny Brandon constant slap-
Willow
Who am I kidding? I'm never going to finish this silly book. I keep thinking I'll pick it up again, but please, I don't care if Jassy and Jamie pull their heads out of their asses long enough to get together. DNF
Mermarie
Heather Graham's Sweet Savage Eden is well written, but I couldn't finish it. I tried. Down to the last 150 pages...still, plot M.I.A. There were gaps in the entire book where Graham merely filled in the lack of substance with extra quarrels-- having absolutely no plot-line. None of the characters were holding card, things just happen, stuff is stuff.. History shouldn't be a crutch for a book. The healing cock & traitorous body trope made me wanna throw daggers at them.

Warning: Persons prone
S.K.
My third book by Heather Graham...I read Devil's Mistress first and enjoyed the setting and characters quite a bit. Then The Viking's Woman...also interesting history and setting compared to my usual romance read...and now this one.

Like I said, the settings are original (at least for me) and I enjoyed that part of it very much. But I'm now finding that Heather Graham's formula is starting to annoy me. I've had enough clawing, kicking, and biting from the heroines who can't communicate any other
Tiffany Day
I read this back in the late 80s/early 90 as a teen and I remembered it fondly as a 3 1/2 - 4 stars. I re-read it for fun and man was I disappointed! Too repetitive, slow-moving, and not enough connection between the H & h. I remembered it as being my least favorite of the trilogy but wow - I'm SO disappointed!
Dawn
Lorelle
May 18, 2012 Lorelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of lots of bodice ripping!

This story begins in England, 1621. The heroine, Jassy Dupre, is the illegitimate daughter of a Duke and an actress. The Hero, Lord Jamie Cameron, is the second son of a duke who has interest in creating his own settlement in the New World. He meets Jassy at an Inn, working as a serving wench, while her mother is dying upstairs. She is caught stealing from Jamie, as she pretends to be his women of the evening. The misunderstandings begin at this point, and they have what appears to be a passiona
Christina
I think I found a book where the heroine gets treated like crap just as much as the heroine in A Pirates Love!

The "hero" if that is what you want to call him, constantly talks down, calls the heroine a whore despite that was a virgin when they married, and whisks her away with out even a moment to let her possibly reason with him all so he can have HIS dream in America. One reviewer put it well, he was raised with a loving family yet where does all this anger come from? I feel so bad for Jassy,
Madaline
Loved this book. I have to imagine anyone out there who didn't appreciate this Graham Nobel must not be too familiar with older romance novel styles. Not quite a bodice ripper, the tale takes Jassy (admittedly her name drove me crazy!), a girl born on the wrong side of the sheets from London to the early days of colonial Virginia.

I actually read three books that are farther along in the series years and years ago and fell in love with writing. If you are looking for classic romance novels that
Stacy Brown
First book in the North American Woman series. Love this series. I have read it multiple times.
Regan Walker
Wonderful First in the Cameron Saga, a superbly written Love Story Set n the New World

This is the first in the North American Women trilogy which is a part of the 6-book Cameron Saga series (see list below). I highly recommend these romances. They were the ones that led me to become a huge fan of Heather Graham. This is the first book in the series and I loved it.

It begins in 17th century England and tells of Jasmine ("Jassy") and Jamie. And it will follow them as they travel to New World (Virgi
Taffey Champion
This was not one of my favorite romances. That being said, I did enjoy the drama, action and adventure throughout (from England to the wild, wilderness areas of Virginia). I did not like that Lord Jamie Cameron ends up raping his wife in the wilderness. She does still end up loving him, anyway.
It is part of the Cameron Saga which "A Pirate's Pleasure" comes from. (that novel is my favorite of the series).

PriPri
Take two since my device went haywire and ate my last review.

This was a rough read and if I hadn't read book two of the series first years ago, I never would have read it after reading this.

I enjoyed book two of this series, but this? This was nothing but the 'hero' verbally, mentally, and physically abusing the 'heroine' throughout the entire book. And she accepted it because she was afraid of being a tavern worker her whole life.

He repeatedly called her a whore and gold digger, he was violent
Mary23nm
This is the kind of book where the hero is a jerk to the heroine, most of the time. The heroine hates him with a passion, except when she's melting over his man-stick. They are far from my favorite type of leading characters. Somehow, the writing is so good that I had to keep reading even though the characters are such idiots. It takes near-death experiences before they can finally tell each other "I love you", and of course, she had to say it first! Then the book ends and you are left wondering ...more
Fera フェルナンダ
the hero and heroine were lovely to read although mostly their time was spent by 'bickering' with each other lol. But in the middle of a twist, near the ending plot. I truly wanted to smack someone because even though the hero finally met the oh-so-called 'villain' who ordered the 'attack' just because of a 'vision', he only asked about where his lady was without any as much hatred emotion or at least a little revenge to repay the 'villain' ughh. It was what disturbed me the most, I think. But o ...more
One of the only books I have ever been able to re-read in my entire life!

Yes Jamie can be a 'jerk' to put it nicely, and I would never encourage women to put up with some of the things he puts Jassy through. However, it made for an exceptionally captivating story that always keeps me excited to read what happens next.

Heather Graham is an amazing novelist and this is easily my favorite romance novel of all time!
Sue
This my third HG historical and quite frankly I was worried it would start out with a pivotal prologue. Thankfully it didn't, don't think I could stood for another. Though this was shorter it reminded me of the classic Katherine Woodiwiss novel "The Flame and the Flower". Adventure, Jamestown settlers brave the new world in the 17th century as they learn to love and trust.
Gayle
This is my favorite book by Heather Graham. She has a gift for creating hero's and herion's who are 3 dimensional. She is wonderful at allowing you understand the flaws as well as the virtues of her characters. She writes great sexual tension. Also her love scenes can be read without all the purple proise of many romance writers. This book is on my keeper shelf.
Rachel
I am not finishing this book. The first sex scene is a rape scene - between the two main characters who supposedly fall in love by the end of the plot.

No. I am definitely not a fan of rape fantasies turning into 'true wuv'. Not to mention the "hero" repeatedly calls the heroine a whore with very little provocation. Just... no.
Jen
The first three chapters made me hate the heroine, and pretty much the rest of the novel made me hate the hero. Why in the hell is he so damn angry with the world, if his world is so full of nice, loving parents/siblings/friends? His character & his backstory do not mesh up all that well, and so I just couldn't like him.
KatieV
The constant arguing/misunderstanding between the two wore me down. The intimate scenes were sensual. warning: this is an older bodice ripper type.

****Spoilers

the hero rapes the heroine the first time. They are married, but she's less than willing and he takes her roughly.
Michelle Connolly
Enjoyable and entertaining. Didn't care much for the heroine at first but quite liked her in the end. The heroe was unnecessarily rude most of the time, which at some point got tiring. Overall I had fun reading it but I don't think I'd read it a second time.
Katie
Although I must admit the characters are not my all time favorites the story is unique and I have found it difficult to find good historical romance set in the time of the early colonies. Definitely worth the read!
April
This is the first book in the North American Woman series. I didn't realize this until I had read the 3rd book, "Love Not a Rebel". I kind of liked the other book a little more than this one, but it wasn't bad.
Anna
Long, slow, boring, and pointless. There was hardly a plot and it didn't pick up until the last 100 pages. I kept waiting for it to get better because I don't like to give up on books, but it never did.
« Crystal »
I rarely give 1 or 2 stars to books... but I just hated this book! It was just awful. I forced myself to finish and I just couldn't... It was just horrid. Don't bother reading this book...
Ana
This book is typical of the 80s historical romance books. If you do not care for novels of that era, don't read this book.
Dan Murdock
A good story and cautionary tale of being careful of pride and not communicating with our spouse!
Theresa Almeida
My Fave book in the Cameron series, learned tons of Virginia History
Helidth Ravenholm
Rape is NOT a good thing... this book deserves NO stars.
  • Bride of the Wind
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)
  • The Tiger Lily
  • Love's Tender Fury
  • Serena (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #4)
  • The Vendetta (Blood Vows, #1)
  • Blood Eternal (Awakened by Blood, #3)
  • Enchantress
  • Lovesong (Song, #1)
  • Where Passion Leads (Berkley - Faulkner, #1)
  • A Devil's Touch (The Devil DeVere #4.5)
  • Midnight Lady
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...
Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2) Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)