Start by marking “The King Is Dead” as Want to Read:
The King Is Dead

The King Is Dead

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Returning a hero from the battlefields of World War II, Walter Selby settles into a charmed domestic life in Memphis. But in a few brief moments, Walter sees his life and his world fracture and split apart, driving him to commit a terrible crime.

Many years later, Frank Cartwright ponders his next move. His film career has left him wealthy but incomplete. When a director a
Published October 12th 2004 by Vintage (first published July 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The King Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King Is Dead

Martin
I never feel compelled to review anything on goodreads, but I bought this book because of the Eugenides blurb and am now absolutely mad about this book. Interesting characters, frequently amazing prose.. If you get half a chance, read this book!
Randa
I absolutely love the sentences here; the book's neat split between the father and the son's points of view; the settings and the dialogue. Awesome.
Sharon
I bought this book because it had blurb by Jeffrey Eugenides, one of my favorite authors. I'm that glad that he introduced me to a local author that I'd never heard of.

The book contains one of the most dramatic transformations of a man that I've ever read. An optimistic, loving, successful speechwriter is reduced to confusion and regret after he and others do some things they shouldn't have.

I liked structure of the book. The five page prelude gives us the history of the main character spanning f
Kirstie
Aug 29, 2011 Kirstie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in lineage, complex stories of families
As someone earlier reviewed, I also bought and read this book because of the favorable Jeffrey Eugenides review. That said, this isn't really close to the caliber of Eugenides's best work (Middlesex imo) but does show promise for this author. This is a complex book about race, politics, and family. I thought the greatest moments of the novel were centered on the father who is a speech writer to the governor. I also thought another strength of this novel were the insights into humanity shown here ...more
nigelicious
An engrossing telling of two connected stories. Grim in its realistic portrayal of love, regret and consequence. Some really beautifully written passages throughout.

"We say, ah, but a life is short: A shout, a kiss, a bell. So it is, and the instant shutters, the life is done: what survives?"
Mark
Love love love this book, Jim Lewis is a fantastic writer...so where the hell did he go? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Google can't even find recent news about him, so I have to assume he's in the witness protection program.
Elizabeth
Very fluid for the first two-thirds of the book, then seems a little forced; however, the switch in era would dictate a different meter. Unfortunately, I could see what Mr. Lewis was trying to do, but the ending just didn't quite hit the mark.
Lindsay
I started off enjoying this book, but found that about half way through the story went off on a bit of a tangent which didn't really hold my interest.
Kate
Lots of sad people in this book. Yet another one that I wanted to give 3.5 stars.
Catherine
The most amazing book...a masterpiece of emotion and story telling. Wow.
Parvathy Sreekumar
Parvathy Sreekumar marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Thao Tran
Thao Tran marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Ha Thanh Ha
Ha Thanh Ha is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2015
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Eishah
Eishah marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Elizabeth Desole
Elizabeth Desole marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Sherilyn Young
Sherilyn Young marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Angela Cotan
Angela Cotan marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jim Lewis, born 1963 in Cleveland, Ohio, is an American novelist. Soon after he was born, his family moved to New York; there, and in London, he was raised. He received a degree in philosophy from Brown University in 1984, and an M.A. in the same subject from Columbia University, before deciding to leave academia.

Since then, he has published three novels, Sister (published by Graywolf in 1993), Wh
More about Jim Lewis...
Why the Tree Loves the Ax Sister: A Novel David Wojnarowicz: Rimbaud In New York 1978 79 Christopher Wool Invisible Heroes - Role Models for Christ