Start by marking “The Gentle Brush of Wings” as Want to Read:

The Gentle Brush of Wings

2.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A Short Story from Defining Moments
Audiobook, 1 page
Published January 13th 2012 by Crossroad Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Brush of Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentle Brush of Wings

David
May 20, 2012 David rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lepidopterists
A free download from Audible, I'm unfamiliar with the author, but hey, free short story. So, A Gentle Brush of Wings is about a lepidopterist (Google it :P) who, fresh from a bad break-up, is visited by a woman of unearthly beauty who gives him lots of sexxin' and then disappears, making him wonder if he dreamed her. But she returns. Our hapless science-nerd thinks it's just too good to be true - of course it is.

Basically, yet another modern retelling of the succubus myth. There was some nice pr
Alysia
Jan 02, 2013 Alysia rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Have you ever watched an old Black and White episode of The Twilight Zone? The stories were interesting, very memorable, and extremely predicable. You knew who was going to be wished into the corn field and that no one else saw or would see the gremlin on the wing of the airplane. But the story was captivating and held you from beginning, middle and end.
This short story from the "Defining Moments" collection is definitely in the same category as old episode of The Twilight Zone.
When Jeffery, a
Melanti
The story is predictable, but enjoyable regardless. Though the predictability doesn't inspire me to read the rest of the collection any time soon.

My biggest issue is that I didn't like the narrator. Basil Sands is just a little too formal and careful in his speech for me to fully relax and just listen. He wasn't horrible, especially by the end of this segment when I'd gotten accustomed to it but I'll be careful to avoid his narrations for full length novels.
Vicky
I got this short story as a free download from Audible, so I listened to it. It had an interesting overlying concept, but the story was quite predictable and it didn't inspire me to pick up Defining Moments (the collection which it is a part of).
The UHQ Nasanta

Narrated by Basil Sands

This short story, narrated by Basil Sands, was a free offering by Audible.com from a collection by David Niall Wilson. My first impressions included adjectives: Weird! Creepy! The story was a bit Kafkaesque, particularly in its somewhat subtle surrealism and its use of insects as a character. The writing and topic of the story had a definite masculine feeling. The story was somewhat predictable. I found it also repetitive as night after night Jeffrey followed the
Ketty
Sep 06, 2014 Ketty rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I will make sure to avoid any full length audio books narrated by Basil Sands. His over the top, formal and stilted way of narrating was a definite turnoff.
Robert Delikat
Apr 05, 2012 Robert Delikat rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Thank you for the freebee. Nothing of great import here. It was fairly predictable except for the sex with insects again. Where do people come up with this stuff? I think it was Perdido Street Station when I was introduced to entomophilia (I know it's not a word but it works). At least in that book the moths were big.
Amanda Spacaj-Gorham
Apr 02, 2012 Amanda Spacaj-Gorham rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, suspense
More of a short story, really. It's available as a free audio download from audible, so I got more than my money's worth. I like sci-fi that doesn't try really hard to turn your stomache with grousomeness. I'll look for this author again next time I have a non-gorey sci-fi craving.
Lauren
Jan 30, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea, and I found the reader to be dry and totally wrong for the mystical feel I'd the story.
Joni
Aug 12, 2012 Joni rated it liked it
Liked Basil Sands on piodobooks so I thought I'd try it. Not bad, but doesn't pull you along
Phong Ho
Feb 09, 2012 Phong Ho rated it it was ok
just listening to "defining moment" from audible.
Matthew
Nov 18, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
Remind me never to mess around with moths
Ronica
Sep 10, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
odd...
Syanara Ruffin
Syanara Ruffin is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2015
Annasluci
Annasluci rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Jaya Carl
Jaya Carl rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Rhianz
Rhianz rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Karen Gardiner
Karen Gardiner marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Brian D
Brian D marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
David Niall Wilson has been writing and publishing horror, dark fantasy, and science fiction since the mid-eighties. An ordained minister, once President of the Horror Writer 's Association and multiple recipient of the Bram Stoker Award. He lives outside Hertford, NC with the love of his life, Patricia Lee Macomber, His children Zane and Katie, occasionally their older siblings, Stephanie, who is ...more
More about David Niall Wilson...