Start by marking “Messy: God Likes It That Way” as Want to Read:
Messy: God Likes It That Way

Messy: God Likes It That Way

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Christianity is messy. Unanswered prayers. Painful choices. Unresolved regrets. We’re called to have faith, and yet we doubt. We try to be perfect, but we fall short. This is the chaos. It’s all around us. There’s no limit to it. And there’s no quick fix for it.

Both annoyingly honest and refreshingly humorous, Messy reassures Christians that God can reveal Himself in their
Published March 2012 by Kregel Publications

To ask other readers questions about Messy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Messy

Gail Welborn
***A must read for anyone who claims the name of Christian***

Rarely does wit and profound wisdom combine in a serious book about Christian life and spiritual growth like it does in A.J. Swoboda’s debut book, “Messy: God likes it that way.” In these authentic, inspiring and refreshingly honest pages, readers learn though they may have lost hope, face painful choices and suffer regrets, “God likes it that way.” Because it’s in our imperfections and pain that we are most authentic and open to God.

H
Beth Peninger
Truth be told I'm undecided about my rating for the book. I didn't not like it but something about it makes me feel reserved about it. And I'm not even sure what that "something" is. For those familiar with terms/labels/etc I am pretty sure some would call Swoboda emergent but reading this book made me take a step back from that label (overused anyway). The people Swoboda studies, quotes, etc in his additional studies of the Bible point him more toward 5 point Calvinist. Guess you can't judge a ...more
Alex
If you're a Christian looking for help in understanding how God can work in your life and you're looking for guidance and reassurance rather than concrete answers then I recommend that you read "Messy: God Likes It That Way".

This book helped me to reflect on many questions that I have as a Christian and has helped me find answers to some of them by providing me with a method for looking at things differently.

A.J. helps to drive home the point that we don't really know why the Lord does the thing
Paul Steele
I really liked this one. Swoboda keeps it real, without getting the least bit preachy. His writing style is very conversational, as if you are just sitting there with him in a coffee shop as he talks about his faith and the everyday things ghat challenge each of us in our own walks of faith. Do i agree with everything he says? No. But he gets me thinking about many aspects of my faith and why i do much of what i do. He got me to think hard about my own walk, which i think is all he could ask for ...more
Ryan Adair
I thoroughly enjoyed Messy: God Likes It That Way by A.J. Swoboda. A.J. is funny, simple, honest, and writes with a thought-provoking style. You’ll feel like you can now ask the very questions you’ve been afraid to ask. Contrary to us believing we have to have everything figured out in our life, our relationship with God, and what we believe about the Bible, we realize that God knows what he’s doing much more than we do—oftentimes it looks really messy and not something that is easily categorize ...more
Kimberly
This first book by Swoboda packs a punch. In short chapters he tackles many issues Christians have with their faith. His main theme was that when people become Christians they are often duped into believing that everything will now be ok. What we don't realize right away is how tough life actually is. The Bible is not full of nice happy stories, people struggled then and we still struggle now. The thing we need to see is that God is present in the mess, He created everything, so our personal mes ...more
Arlene
Overall what I took from this book is that it is ok to be asking hard questions, to be wrestling with God and others…he communicated well with a refreshing vulnerability that will surely plant seeds in others to do the same in their life. We have so much technology to communicate these days BUT we lack the tools/skills to deal with root/deep life stuff(so far). Thanks for stirring the pot!! We were ment for more than the superficial & shallow!
(E-book note: On my little kindle it got a bit fr
Rob
I'm not sure how to comment on this book... The writing style is casual, conversational, and borderline inappropriate at times for the given topic. The theology is, while at times challenging, at others quite in contrast with my own. The flow of the book seems to match the title - I felt the first half of the book was a bit more cohesive than the latter as at the end it felt a bit like the author was wandering (or maybe just my attention was...).

As negative as all of that sounds, I found myself
Coleen Baker
Amazingly good book!!! I loved how the author used humor throughout the book and never hid his thoughts about doubt. This book was especially helpful for me when I was wrestling with the decision to become Christian. Reading this book helped me understand that it's ok if you're not "perfect," it's ok if you don't get everything right, God loves you anyway and wants you to have a relationship with Him.
Kaylyn
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A humorous but real look at how life really is. The author acknowledges Christian life can be messy, but God makes sense out of the mess. This book provides a pathway to answers many Christians and non-Christians have about God and life in general.
LBSinger
One of the best books I've ever read. What AJ says makes sense but you would never think about things that way, normally. Also, love that I actually know who this author is because he's preached at my mom's church before. He's as amazing in real life as in this book :)
Dorrice
I am seeing things I disagree with but on the whole it is, so far, and interesting book. Which is to say, a different but interesting approach to the Gospel. No question that the author is leading people to the Lord, and one can't argue with that.
Christine
There are a lot of good points interspersed throughout the book; however they are often sandwiched in between some far-out stuff. I think with some good editing, it could be a tighter, more compelling read.
Tina
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the questions the author posed were relevant and real. What if our 'mess' is where we learn to truly trust God? This perspective is one I want to embrace!
Lisa
I like this book. This is a pastor who talks about things in the present day. How he struggled through his life.
Worth

Very satisfying. Stimulated my thinking and now I have a few things to mull over.
Adam Mashburn
Funny book, once I forgave the writer for being a liberal I liked it much better.
Chia
The Christian life is a messy one but God makes order out of the seemingly chaotic mess.
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Matteo
Matteo marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kyle Lusk
Kyle Lusk marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Michael Rains
Michael Rains marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Jessica Booth
Jessica Booth marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Heather Bixler
Heather Bixler marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • Kingdom Journeys: Rediscovering the Lost Spiritual Discipline
  • Flirting with the Forbidden: Finding Grace in a World of Temptation
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • Insignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • Secret Power
  • Accidental Pharisees: Avoiding Pride, Exclusivity, and the Other Dangers of Overzealous Faith
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • Confessions of a Prayer Slacker
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul

“We have developed a community that celebrates the look of giving, but somewhere along the way we lost the point; our message has said we honor the look of giving over the heart of giving.” 0 likes
“Now that you’ve symbolically died the most horrific execution earth has ever invented, similar to that of a messianic upstart from Nazareth in Galilee named Jesus, I metaphorically raise you from the graven tomb as portrayed by these deathly waters.” Home video that.” 0 likes