Uygun Bir Eş

Uygun Bir Eş (Regencies #8)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  910 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Aşktan ne kadar kaçabilirsiniz?
Ruthven Lordu Philip, aşkın pençesine düşmek için dayanılmaz bir istek duyuyordu. Tam bu sırada, Philip’in çocukluğundan beri tanıdığı ve çok yakın olduğu genç leydi Antonia, annesinin ölümünün ardından bir süreliğine Philip’in malikânesine misafir olmuştu. Antonia aşkın tehlikelerinden kendini koruyarak tamamen mantık üzerine kurulu bir evli...more
288 pages
Published 2011 (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Uygun Bir Eş, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uygun Bir Eş

Donna
This is a nice and gentle historical romance. In fact, 'nice' and 'gentle' are the operative words that best describe the story. Philip and Antonia are pleasant and gentle with each other and with the other characters. When the inevitable misunderstanding between the two occurs, they are civil and gentle in their interactions until such time as the conflict is resolved. The resolution itself occurs without any great dramatics. In fact, the carriage chase and the incident with the two coachmen at...more
Joycee
I was pleasantly surprised! I'm so used to Ms. Laurens' later work, which seems more explicit and which seems to rely heavily on thesauri to state and restate key (and some not so key) thoughts and moments. This story was tender (no sex 'til the end and even that was only alluded to - not graphically described and certainly not prolonged), and the male protagonist was not as high-handed as I'm used to from Ms. Laurens. The female protagonist likewise was no wallflower but wasn't so overly indepe...more
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 1997
Length: 297 pages
Setting: Regency London
Sex: Frequent interludes with closed door almost-conquests. Basically clean.

A gentle romance without the expected angst and tragic airs. Antonia and Philip do have The Talk, try and understand each other's povs, and work on creating a marriage that will last.

Solidly told showing the growth of Laurens within the Harlequin stable, as well as her understanding of the Regency genre, "A Comfortable Wife" is A Good B...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780778302377

Genre? - Romance / Regency / Erotica

Characters? - Miss Dalling / Philip / Antonia Mannering / Harry Lester

Setting? - England

Series? - Lester #4

Title? - Philip and Antonia are engaged but hiding it, as she tries to find out how to be the 'comfortable wife' that her future husband apparently wants.

Character Analysis? - I did love Philip Lord Ruthven, and Antonia Mannering. They seemed to fit together really well, and their clashes and arguments kept the book alive. Sometimes L...more
Amy
Sylvia Harris
Different and enjoyeable. An astute gentleman but smart enough to know what was being offered and planned would suit him very well. The interaction between him and his future bride was like a chess move. Each encounter required an evaluation and maybe an adjustment before the next move.
Adele
I enjoyed this novel but it wasn't one of Laurens best. Philip and Atonia were excellent characters, the plot was simply a bit lack lustre. I'd still read the rest of her novels though, I think it just wasn't the time to read this book.
Jeanne
Antonia decides she will convince Phillip Ruthven that she will make him a comfortable wife. The problem is, she's not sure she can be the kind of wife the ton expects. So, she holds off their engagement and does her best to act the way she thinks he wants. Phillip's not too sure what's going on with Antonia, but he plays it cool . . . until he realizes Antonia's taking her cues from him. Then he decides he needs to change his tactics.

Sub-plot going on with a young couple whose aunts are trying...more
Mara Maia
Não consigo, por mais que pense que é um livro harlequin (logo pequenino) e não devia ter tanta cotação como alguns a que eu dei 5* e tinha o dobro ou o triplo das páginas .. mas aí adorei o livro .. esta autora faz-me sempre sonhar muito, chego a admitir (com os livros que leio dela) que é uma das melhores escritoras que a editora harlequin tem :)

As personagens são bem construídas e nada exageradas, o desenvolvimento da história é muito engraçado e amoroso!
A conselho muito a leitura deste livr...more
Ilka
I was in the middle with this book. I liked the plot. It was a great story. I just didn't like the way it was written. There were several areas that I was completely lost as to what was going on. I had to read it several times. It was too frustrating but yet I wanted to keep reading because I wanted to find out what was going to happen to the characters. Again great story, great characters but crappy writing. I would have finished it sooner if I didn't have to stop so many times to reread passag...more
Tasmia
A good read. The hero and heroine are mostly likeable, and the ways they spark against each other are very fun to read. The cast of secondary characters is colourful and balanced -- and Laurens' admiration of Heyer really comes through in that with them, she's basically taken a bunch of Heyer's stock characters and freshened them a bit. I'll call it homage and enjoy it.
Brenda Margriet
Enjoyable read. Interesting twist on the old friends who fall in love, in that the woman plans to marry the hero even though she doesn't love him, and he falls in love with her first.

I like the hero, because he was willing to let her find her place in society before they got married, even though that was a risk as he didn't know she loved him at the time.
OhWell
The first two thirds of the story are very slow-paced . The last third picks up a bit, and there’s some conflict and tension. Philip and Antonia were likable enough, but it’s Antonia’s brother who has real spark. I might have given it 3* if not for the same expressions repeated over and over again.
Carrie Olguin
Nice story with fade to fireplace sex. Good for anyone who isn't well versed in the regency genre because so much about the ton and society is shown and explained as the heroine tries to figure out how she is supposed to behave as a comfortable wiffe to her future aristocratic husband.
Shannon
It was ok. I'm not real into Regency romances so I'm not surprised I wasn't too into it. It just seemed like too much was taken for granted that we knew. The hero was always described as looking bored, how are we supposed to know what he really feels if that's the only way he's described?
Tasneem
I find Luarens's blend of regency romance and erotica delightful. This is yet another of her relaxing, bedtime reads. If only real life heros were as dashing ;) Overall, I found the characters strong, but not overly so. I liked the heroine. She was well done.
Virginia
Sure I've read this before, but rereading because her books are always enjoyable and it popped up in some other context so I thought why not?

after finishing, I think it took me so long because it got REALLY slow in the middle. No where near a good as the rest.
Melis
Stephanie ablayı çok severim ama bu kitabından pek tat alamadım. Hastalığımında etkisi olabilir bilmiyorum başları çok sıkıcıydı. Sonlara doğru açıldı da okuyabildim. Kötü gün kitabı olarak okunabilir diyebilirim.
Jennifer Aiello
I really enjoyed this book, it was set in England in 1700/1800s and was filled with old-fashioned manners, values and customs which I found captivating. I was sorry to get to the end.
Janice
Antonia Mannering / Lord Philip Ruthven
Martha
I'm fairly sure I've read this, but I don't remember anything about it but the title. I think I read it about the time that I was getting bored with SL's writing.
Kelly
Very interesting story! It was one where throughout the story the hero and heroine don't immediately have sex with each other!
Cornélia
Feb 27, 2013 Cornélia marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
couldn't begin to finish it. got over bored after two or three chapters. I just gave up on the book.
Rebekah
I did not enjoy this one nearly as much as I enjoyed Devil’s Bride but it was still very good.
Freya
slow. not as good as others in series and got better in the last half of book.
Nancy
To stuffy and stilted for me. I didn't even finish it( which never happens).
Elaine Mcdonald
Normally, I enjoy Laurens books more. It was ok, not her best work.
Catyj
A delightful historical romance, perfect for a lazy evening reading.
Marina
A connected book in the Lester Family Saga series. Witty!
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • The Silver Coin (Coin, #2)
  • A Garden Folly (Country House Party, #1)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
  • Her Officer and Gentleman (Just Ask Reeves, #2)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Beauty and the Duke (Mystical Bliss, #1)
  • The Marriage Trap (Trap, #1)
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal (Waite, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Laurens and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Laurens and...more
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)