Start by marking “Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles, Book 2)

Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  3,972 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Smokey captains the fastest ship on the Atlantic, but she longs to settle down. In Dallas Knight, it seems her dream will come true -- but their love places her in a life-threatening confrontation with pirates.
Published January 1st 1994 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Wings of the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of the Morning

Kitts
Absolutelty LOVED this book! Out of the Kensington Chronicles, this one is my favorite. Full of adventure and romance, it's wonderful. I read it in one day! :)

I have noticed that other people have not liked this book as much as the other ones in this series, but for some reason I still liked this one the most. I think that when you can relate to the character in some way the book is more enjoyable. I don't know if this is relating to the character, but I also have long(not waist length though, b
Judine
Jul 15, 2008 Judine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Romance fans
Coming off "The Hawk and the Jewel," this one wasn't nearly as satisfying. One fairly significant event was left in the air; also, the "strains" put on the primary relationship felt forced (he loves her, he's jealous and turns her out of the house; he brings her back, gets jealous, and she runs away. . . ). There were enough back and forths to make me dizzy.
Haley(fabulous, crazy, and a follower of Christ)
This is one book that I could read over and over again! (Don't ask how many times I have read it! Lol!) It is exciting, romantic, adventurous....Overall, amazing. If you ever feel like reading any if those genres read this book! Smokey is my hero! Dallas, I fell in love with, who couldn't! I would recommend this to any teen who is like me and romantic!
Tiffany Morrison
Another of my all time favorites that I have read and re-read. This story is about a legendary sea captain who is just "daddy" to a little girl. She grows up to become the captain herself but lack certain social traits. She falls in love and goes through some very trying times. Very good book!
Mary
This is actually my favorite book in the Kensington Chronicles. :) I love the characters.
There's such strength, love and devotion involved here.
Relience and trust in the Lord are heavily evident and that is just such a blessing when I'm feeling down. :)
5 out of 5!
Nellie
Smokey is the captain of her ship, and her father was a famous sailor. Dallas has a hard time believing she could be who she is.
Fun book. Interesting, and full of action. I am enjoying this series, and am looking forward to the next one.
Kelly Heslip
The second book in the Kennsington Chronicles series does not disappoint. It was a great adventure at sea and in the heart. Can't wait to read the next book!
Marsha Streator
Just as good as The Hawk & the Jewel. Going to continue reading the series. Really enjoy Lori Wick's writing style - really easy, quick reading.
Kristina
Just read this for the fifth or sixth time and will be reading it again:) One of my all time favorites.
Franny
This is the second book in The Kensington Chronicles. The first one is called The Hawk and the Jewel. I loved the whole series, but chose this one to write about because of the strong feelings that come out of Smokey (Victoria) during the course of this book. She grew up on the ship the Aramis, out of England, during the Regency period. She is a tomboy, naturally, with secret dreams, that she keeps well-hidden, of a marriage and a family. As the story begins, her father, having been fatally woun ...more
Paula
It kinda kept going when I was ready for it to finish. But it's one of the better examples of Christian romantic fiction that I've come across. Mainly because it features faith/God as a daily part of the character's lives, instead of them being all preachy at people. Honestly I find it hard to get enthusiastic about fiction these days, and this one hasn't really changed that for me. It was readable, but forgettable. Sorry Ms Wick, it's me, not you :)
Eva Nieves
I loved this book! I can see the author has more knowledge of how to write compared to the first book. I must say I think she could have expanded more this book. Constantly, I thought what was going to happened... and it didn't, in a dissapointment way! I really liked this book but if she had used more drama it would had been a greater book.
Evangelynne
This was a great read. Though unlikely in that era, Smokey Simmons inherited her fathers ship, the aramis. She gives other ship captains a run for their money when she manages to procure a great reputation as "smoke". Like any good romance she runs into trouble along the way and creates bonds with people around her that could last forever.
Karen
I really liked this book. I especially liked the main character, Smokey. I liked how strong and confident she was in her profession as a sea captain. I also liked how it was contrasted by how awkward and inept she was in social situations. I liked her determination. And I liked how much she relied on God. At times it felt like a bit much, since I don’t know that I would have as easily turned to the Lord when faced with the trials she experienced, but I did like how she and the other characters t ...more
Audrey Watson
Loved this book! In fact, I loved the entire series! If you like romance mixed with a little action, these are perfect.
Anna
Honestly, I laughed and mocked it all the way through. The storyline was interesting but oh, it has been years since I read a Christian romance, and it was hilarious. I spent most of my evening reading aloud to members of my family and we cracked up at the dialogue and descriptors. I wonder what makes it so hard to have well-written Christian romance novels....and why, when they are written in such mediocre style, is there SUCH a demand? Lori Wick has written and published dozens of books. And a ...more
Anne Currier
Weak plot. Drama queens. Over emotional blubber.
Nikki
May 18, 2007 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans Of Lori Wick
Victoria “Smokey” Simmons stands silently on deck as her father’s body is lowered into the Atlantic, asking God for the strength she will need to command the Aramis alone. Not wanting to remain at sea forever, Smokey dreams of the time when she can trade her life aboard ship for a home and family. When she meets another captain, Dallas Knight, Smokey believes her dream will finally come true. But circumstances beyond their control and the schemes of a cunning pirate threaten to destroy this youn ...more
Bekah
3.5 stars. If you like Christian romances, with a dash of adventure, a sprinkling of history, a scoop of self-made drama, and somewhat forced character development, then make this your next read. I enjoyed it, but it failed to make it to my favorites shelf, and I'll only recommend it to my friends who enjoy chick-lit:)

Rated PG-13 for some mild mature elements.
Sadi
I think that this book was okay. I didn't like this book as well as the other three, but it was fine. Victoria seems like a really big tomboy. I don't know why, but I really like the part when she is captured by Haamich Wynn. I think the part where she is sent to jail is very sad. I like this book, but in my opinion the others are way better.
Karen Chow
This book was cute; esp. with the hard-core main character Smokey, the woman captian. I did think that the plot dragged out too long, mostly when Smokey ran away irrationally at the end from being afraid to communicate her fears to her fiance. But as typical of Lori Wick, happy endings all around.
Elizabeth
I bought this book and read it once (pretty quickly) and then I lent it to my sister and she lost it! So now I can't re-read it! But I really did like it. It's just now I can't quote it! JK I don't usually quote this kind of book, but I just thought it'd be fun to make you think I did! :P
CathyLynn Bryant
Author Cathy Lynn Bryant I don't know how she does it. Everything she writes about she seems to do with complete knowledge of the time or circumstance. Wings of the Morning is filled with suspense as we follow our heroine over the open sea where she learns of true love as well as eludes a pirate.
Linda
This series by Lori Wick is great summer, by the pool, reading. I think the stories are engaging though the wished for outcome is a given. But I like that they're clean and they have characters who get through difficulties and appreciate joys through their faith in Christ. Fun reading.
Viktoriya Shostak
An amazing story about fighting your fear and trusthing God about everything in life, I have learned so much from this story, and really can relate to Smokey. I hope everyone who picks this book up will enjoy it as much as I have.
Kristelle
I thought this was a great fun read. I loved the change in Smokey between being on the ship and off. The twist with the pirate was fun and added some drama. A good Christian romance that isn't preachy at all.
Genelle
Nov 25, 2008 Genelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Genelle by: Stephanie Pool
I really liked this book, it was cute and entertaining and I really think it could be and should be made into a movie, haha. I would totally watch it.
Natalya
This book was really interesting usually I skip a couple areas in a book but not this one I couldn't put it down :)
Dorothy
I really liked this story...my first of Lori Wick. I will be passing it onto be enjoyed!
Guinevere
The romantic in me loves the pirate story mixed with romance in this.
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • True Honor (Uncommon Heroes #3)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • City of Angels (Shannon Saga, #1)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

Kensington Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1)
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
  • The Knight and the Dove (Kensington Chronicles, #4)
The Princess Sophie's Heart The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1) Pretense Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)