The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 (Mammoth Romances)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  44 reviews
If love transcends all boundaries, paranormal romance is its natural conclusion. Over twenty tales from some of the hottest names in romantic fiction to transport you to fantastical worlds in which mythical beasts, magical creatures of all shapes and sizes, heart-stoppingly handsome ghosts, angels and mortals with extra-sensory powers live out extraordinary desires.Include...more
Published October 28th 2010 by Constable & Robinson (first published August 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2

Caitlin
Sharon Ashwood's "Fragile Magic" was my favorite story. It is apart of Sharon's Dark Forgotten world but with different characters. Selina is a half-fey art dealing accountant who is finding her magic side but that goes up in smoke when she accidently adopts an adorable gargoyle, Gary. However, Gary needs a vet who happens to be a hottie Dr. Jake who has some wolfie tendencies.

Ava Gray's "Princes of Dominion" was not my favorite. It was a ok novella. An angel enters the human world to see a beau...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I was surprised some of the stories ended up here since I felt they didn't have romance in them. Oh well. Like all anthologies, some catch you at the first sentence, others leave you bored. The ones I read and liked (at least a little):

Princes of Dominion-

Huh. Historical, not sure where it is set. Not a world that I would want to live in. This is an angel story (not that big on these). The angel falls in love with a woman and falls (of course they do!).

Spirit of the Prairie-

This was one of my f...more
Ann  Lorz

This book was very good. I really enjoyed the Sharon Ashwood and Sherri Browning Erwin's stories the best. It's worth the read.
Blodeuedd Finland
Eh, you know what, I am skipping most of these. yes I can read short stories, would I choose to? No, because they are short and I need to be interested in the first sentence. This one is for the future since I do not want to hog it for 6 months.

So I have not finished it but I read a few I liked

To Hell With Love – Jackie Kessler
Eh, boring. Witch, ex-husband, sis in trouble *yawn*

Princes of Dominion – Ava Gray
Now this one I liked, an angel meets a woman and falls for her. Historically set and what...more
Melindeeloo
Not too many vamps or were-folk in this second volume of The Mammoth Book of Paranormal romance. Instead - angels, witches, and demons share the spotlight with a few more unusual paranormal creatures. Many of the authors offer tidbits from their series and several authors including Lara Adrian and Gail Carriger offered something completely different - I was hoping for a [[ASIN:0553589377 Midnight Breed]] and a [[ASIN:0316056634 Parasol Protectorate)]] short. I was actually familiar with all but...more
Carolyn F.
Another example of where an anthology with too many stories becomes a chore to read. The 2nd half finally started to grab my interest but I wanted so much just to put this book in my "couldn't finish" stack. I'm proud that I hung in there (patting myself on the back). I only rated 15 out of the 17 stories. 3 stars average.

To Hell w/ Love by Jackie Kessler. Caitlin's sister opens Caitlin's memory box and is stuck. Now Caitlin & her ex have to rescue her. Sweet story. ***

Prince of Dominion b...more
Sarah Marie
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 edited by Trisha Telep

4 stars

I’ll review this similar to how I reviewed The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. I was looking forward to this collection since I had enjoyed the last one so much. I felt that this one fell short of its predecessor and it could’ve been better… way better.

To Hell With Love by Jackie Kessler

2 stars

When Caitlin’s sister opens a gift that was meant for Caitlin from her ex-husband, Caitlin and her ex must travel into her sister’s

Trianna Hyde
With a book of this size i didnt think i would like as much of it as i did. i have read these kinda books before and there is usually one story i dont like. that was not the case with this book. Because there are so many stories im just gonna go story by story and do a lil blurb.

To Hell With Love by Jackie Kessler: A gift from a woman's ex-husband goes to her sister trapping her in a memory, she must call on her ex-husband to help free her. The former love between a witch and a warlock is reopen...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Bethany
This second volume of the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance featured a variety of stories about angels, fairies, Greek gods, merpeople and a few demons. While there were one or two stories featuring vampires and werewolves there weren’t that many which kind of disappointed me. However despite this I really enjoyed this selection of stories and found most of them really entertaining, some of them have convinced me to check out some of the authors other works.

There were some of the stories were a...more
Linda
A big collection of Paranormal short stories. A bit dull in the beginning, i almost didn´t finish but it was much better in the second half. 3,5 Stars. More good reads than bad. I´m glad i didn´t give up.

Jackie Kessler´s To Hell with Love, an envelope gets delivered to the wrong sister and the witch Caitlin needs to rescue her sister from a memory gift from her ex. Worth the read.
Ava Gray´s Princes of Domination, Camael, a Seraphim, falls for a human, Rei. He seduces her and leaves, not knowing...more
Penelope
Firstly, I shall say that the four stars are for the two or three stories I actually completely read, not the boon itself. Secondly, does it count as being read if I skimmed through the whole damn thing ?
It is books like this one that make me really glad I like paranormal YA books better. The first three stories in the book I skipped, and I regret nothing. Why, you may ask? Well, because I don't want to read a story where after twelve seconds of meeting a delicious looking man, your tenderloi...more
Sandra
To Hell With Love (Jackie Kessler)
Princes of Dominion (Ava Gray)
Spirit of the Prairi (Shirley Damsgaard)
The Demon’s Secret (Nathalie Gray)
Marine Biology (Gail Carriger)
Zola’s Pride (Moira Rogers) - (Southern Arcana #2.5)
In Dreams (Elissa Wilds)
The Gauntlet (Karen Chance)
The Getaway (Sonya Bateman) - (Gavyn Donatti series)
Mr. Sandman (Sherri Browning Erwin)
The Sin-Eater’s Promise (Michele Hauf)
Fragile Magic (Sharon Ashwood)
Nightdrake (Lara Adrian)
The Sons of Ra (Helen Scott Taylor)...more
Cami
If I had to pick one word to describe this book, it would be "Boring."

For the most part, this book was a snoozer. There really wasn't much romance to it, which is very surprising due to the title. This book was definitely a disappointment. While I admit that I prefer novels to short stories, I do read shorts expecting to find several (or at least more than one) authors I would like to read more of. In this case, I only found one story that I wanted to explore further, and the author hasn't writt...more
Regina
Like most anthologies, this collection was hit-and-miss. Astonishingly, what I missed the most was - romance! A lot of the stories featured some very nice beginnings of friendships, but I would hardly call them "romance".

A few highlights:
"To Hell With Love", by Jackie Kessler - can love, once lost, be regained? The plot itself was secondary to the undercurrents between the main couple. It was a solid kick to the heart.

"Marine Biology", by Gail Carriger - wow. An in-the-closet gay, in-the close...more
Janine
"Fragile Magic" - Sharon Ashwood ★★★
"NightDrake" - Lara Adrian ★★
"The Sons of Ra" - Helen...more
Darcy
I only read a few of stories out of this book.

Moira Rogers' story was set in the world of her Southern Arcana series with some new characters. I hope that we see more of them in future books.

Sonya Bateman's story was with her series, Gavin and Jazz go away for a weekend and things go wrong like always with them. How they resolved things was surprising.

Sharon Ashwood's story was great, I really want to get a gargoyle, especially if I can find a hot vet like Selina did.

Christine Hayes
very few of the stories were good. what a waste of four dollars.
K
After enjoying the last Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romace, I was looking forward to this one. And although a few of the stories were intersting and enjoyable, the rest of stories for me were just ok. I don't know if it's because I was not familiar w/ the author's (as w/ the first book where I knew a good majority of them), or the writing style and stories themselves. If asked, I would not recommend this book to others.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Well this is disappointing. After reading the first one where it had authors I knew and enjoyed, this one was a dud. Even the Karen Chance one didn't do it for me and I like her stories. The only one I liked was Gail's with the merpeople and Alex the gay alpha wolf. I'd like to read more about that one! I barely sloshed through this book. Maybe it's better for others. For me, I didn't like it and barely kept awake.
Caitlyn
Quite a few of these short paranormal stories had potential if they were novel length. This would have given them the space to build the world and the romance without feeling ridiculous. Not one was a great short story, some were written well, some had great imagination, some had a good romance but none combined all important elements which is what I expected. Disappointing.
Annie
As with most anthologies, quality varies. I have problems with stories based on existing series / worlds which I don't know. It requires too much effort to get into the world to really care about the story.
My favourite stories in this collection were:
'The demon's secret' by Nathalie Gray.
'Marine biology' by Gail Carriger.
'The sin-eater's promise' by Michele Hauf.
Hamsaveni Vigneswararao
This was an excellent collection of stories,and I know since I'm a big fan of the genre. There are different types of supernatural creatures and relationships here to please just about anyone, I think. However, I did find myself rushing through a few of the stories, perhaps because they weren't really my cup of tea.
Shay
This book contains tons of middling to stellar stories. I was entertained for days and seeing as I often blow through books in an evening or two, that's a lot of stories. They are shorter faire, so there wasn't the time to do the character deepening that I generally prefer, but still enjoyable.
Prima Donna
I think this book entirely missed the point of the title: romance. Some of the stories were just plain tragic, which was not what I was in the mood for. I had a hard time getting through it, and that was with picking and choosing the short stories.
Tamsin
Another handy collection of short stories I've been reading on the kindle app on my phone as and when i get stuck in a queue or on the bus. Some stories i enjoyed more than others, and again have a list of new authors to check out.
Naomi
I don't really know what to say about this collection of stories. I really enjoyed a few of them but i found the rest just mediocre. It took me 3 days to finish the book when usually i read a book every day!
Dodau
A second collection of stories on this theme but not as good as the first. I skipped several stories in this collection that were just too long winded or couldn't hold my attention.
Johanness
I'm used to reading lots of vampire-related stories, so this one was very different for me. The stories were good, some good ones and others I skipped, but I enjoyed it. :)
Tasha
So far I have enjoyed the short stories. All the stories in this edition are originals which is sort of a bummer because I would like to be able to see more of the characters.
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Glimpse of Darkness
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Full Moon City
  • Nocturnal
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • Running with the Pack
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • By Blood We Live
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...
The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances

“I still love you," Aaron says softly, "I wish I can just turn it off, or that it would have faded away. I wish I could say I'm not the same man I was when you left me, that I've changed. But I am who I am, Caitlin. And all the magic in the world wouldn't change that.” 3 likes