Start by marking “Bonds of Fire” as Want to Read:
Bonds of Fire

Bonds of Fire

Drekken is a dragon warrior. Bonded to his dragon, Miri, together they lead a squadron of fliers. His fliers respect him, his enemies fear him, his reputation precedes him. Yet, nothing in his life could have prepared Drekken for his greatest challenge: babysitting.

Stranded after a deadly battle, separated from his squadron and Miri, Drekken finds himself the only hope for
Published June 6th 2011 by Wittegen Press

To ask other readers questions about Bonds of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonds of Fire

M'rella
Awwwww..... what a cute little story!
Drekken, a dragon warrior, takes baby dragons and barely legal humans under his protection while trying to escape enemy forces that occupy a destroyed village.
Yes, there are typos and various editorial mistakes, but did I say it was cute? and sweet? and it had dragons in it? =)

3.5 stars, rounding up to 4.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Sep 19, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Tailtiu
3.5*
Interesting Free Short.
There is a lot of world building for such a short story, but that didn't stop me from wanting to know more about the war going on, the dragons and the bondings between them and humans.
The 'romance' part is very a very small part of this story and not really clear, but I loved the baby dragons and would love to know how the two young empaths and Drekken and Miri and Baby D continued on.
Nym
Mar 23, 2012 Nym rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written short story; good writing, and good world building to fit in a short story. It picks up right away with action and world building, an interesting mix of magic, technology and dragons. I would like to know more about the Feras and what their beef was with Army Draco, their society and pair-bonding, but then it wouldn't be a short story anymore :) Oh, and especially more about the relationship, but more on that later.

The story is narrated by Drekken, an army general who has been sep
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Mar 26, 2012 Shadowstorm Norwicca rated it it was amazing
A very unique story that caught at my heart strings. A warrior injured and without his bonded dragon. Now in search of his unit and to get out of the enemies range. On his way through a village destroyed by the enemy he stumbles upon children. Some are young children and two others are young adults, but they are empaths and young dragons. The dragon who protected them is seriously injured and his only dying request is that Drekken takes care of them. This harden warrior takes on the responsibili ...more
Dreamer
Mar 16, 2012 Dreamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, m-m, novella, pc
Quickly finished this short fantasy m/m story. Drekken is an augmented human warrior life-bonded to his dragon Miri. In this story he leads two empathic humans and their group of young dragons to safety, including newly-hatched baby dragon D. Feels like this should be part of a much longer book..

"I don't want him, not without you," Drekken sighed the second of his realisations that day.
Malachi looked so young then, his dark eyes uncertain and confused.
"But you've been flirting with him all the
Furio
This is a nice little M/M fantasy story with dragons.
There is nothing particularly original in it, but it is well done:
-setting is clear and well outlined with its interesting mix of magic and technology;
-characters are likeable and credible;
-plot is interesting and makes sense.

On the downside, beside a couple of editing problems (missing words here and there) the ending -happy though it is- releases too much tension and implies a change in atmosphere from the warlike to the cosy that is not wel
Emily
Jun 27, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for free a long time ago, but never got around to reading it. I finally randomly decided to read it, and boy am I glad I did. This was a great little read that I highly enjoyed. It took a little while for me to get into the story, and I almost gave up near the beginning, but I stuck it out and was well rewarded. This was a glimpse into a very interesting world, and my only regret is that it ended far too soon for me. I would love to see this book and this world expanded upon, as ...more
Sara
Jan 31, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kindle edition.
Was drawn into this world and definitely would like to read more about these characters.
Coyora Dokusho
Jun 03, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it! There were adorable dragonlings and interesting characters I got emotionally involved with. Well-ploted as well. Would love a sequel.
Viv Ross
May 11, 2013 Viv Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tantalizing, endearing, and satisfying in way that leaves you wanting much more.
Kate Aaron
Aug 30, 2011 Kate Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
did I ever mention that I'm a sucker for baby dragons? Because I am! Loved this story!
Kimberly
Oct 25, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Soo cute! Would love to read more about this unique family. LOL!
MLE
Apr 17, 2012 MLE rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Not a bad story, but editing mistakes kept me from fully engaging.
✟ℜoxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche)
I must say that I very much enjoyed this short story...as that's what it is...a short story, a VERY short story. There was so much packed into this novella that it definitely had the potential to be a full length novel. Even though things were a little crammed in I didn't feel that the romance elements were rushed in any way just that they weren't explored in very much depth. This is a M/M romance novella, however, it is very tame compared to a lot of other stories out there, especially when com ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Dec 04, 2012 Sadie Forsythe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Oh, I want so much more of this. It worked well as a short story, but there was enough to be expanded into a full length novel (always my preference). I love that, despite being short, the romance didn't feel rushed. In fact it doesn't really even come to a head in the story. I did feel a little bit like Malachi was shorted. Drekken's attraction to Yakov is so overt that, despite being told Drekken is falling for Malachi too, he feels secondary. I was a little disturbed in the beginning because ...more
Onyx
So...this story follows part-dragon warrior Drekken on a quest with two young men to bring a half a dozen newborn dragons to safety from those that would do them harm.

What's good: Bonds of Fire is free. Good world building and interesting characters. A man with strong parental (view spoiler) instincts is refreshing!

What irked me: the dragons...were they pets? Or powerful fantastical creatures? Could they be on the same cognizant level as humans?! And what was this "b
Sierra
Mar 04, 2016 Sierra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully imaginative story with suspense and sweetness. Drekken is an fascinating character with his dragon bond, enhancing implants, and surprisingly loving and gentle aspects. There is plenty of cuteness with the young dragons, balanced by building attraction between Drekken and the pair bond of Yakov and Malachi. While there is nothing more than kissing, the chemistry is great. I am not one for menage but this didn't have the usual erotic overtones, just warmth and tenderness (and no sex). ...more
Jaylee
I was genuinely interested in this story. There was a big soldier man having to take care of a bunch of widdle baby dragons, and I knew that was going to be a super adorable, sweet dynamic. The world is a mix of fantasy and sci-fi (my fav). However, there were so many editing errors, it was cringeworthy. It was definitely a "I am into this book, but not enough to endure this blatantly unedited text."

Beta readers are important. Actual proofreaders (not your friends) are important. Self-publishin
Elly Helcl
Okay...why does almost every book have to have gay/lesbian elements...

Other than the above, this was a really good story. I enjoyed the characters and the story line. It was a little short but over all, if you like big bad guys who are suckers for kids, this is for you.

I think I am actually going to follow this series. I usually don't like books that are partitioned but I will have to watch for these.
Ilona
Jul 21, 2013 Ilona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish this had been a longer story as it had all the elements of a great novel. Solid characters and storyline as well as plenty of good world building and backstory for it's length. My only other complaint is that a romance was hinted at but never actually came to fruition by the end of the story. Hopefully the author will write a continuation and give the reader more of the romance and this really intriguing world.
Alysa H.
I enjoyed these characters and their world enough that I wish Duncan had spun this into a full-length novel. As a 20k word novella, it could have done with more world-building and fleshing out of environment, backstories, and relationships. Drekken is a great character about whom I'd love to read more, and all the rest felt a little bit short-changed. Except for the baby dragons!
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I started it and made it to 10% and am very confused.

It opens after a fight is some war? It used a bunch of fantasy words so I'm not sure what they mean or who is what.

I thought the mc was human with mechanical enhancements but then his arms are scaly and he shoots fireballs? And he can control the fire? And he has telepathy?

So yeah I'm very confused
LD  Durham
I knew it. I was warned in the other reviews, but I didn't listen and now, here I am: totally in love with a short story that was just too damn short.

However, I just found a new author to stalk. Think I'll go do that. Excuse me...
Kbee
Really bizare!! Still trying to figure the right shelves to put this one.
Good thing is, it's a short story. Don't know if it's a series or a stand alone {{{Does not stand at all never mind alone}}}
Dragon/semi human, semi human/ young boys...
Tamela
I absolutely loved this story and can only hope there will be more... about the characters we've already met, about this new world we've been given an all too brief glimpse of, and about the DRAGONS.
========================
1st read - Sep 16, 2012
2nd read - Sep 24, 2016
Antonella
3.5
Above average, it would make a great novel. But as it is, the world building was a bit too vague: which war? who are the Faras? how does the dragon bonding works? how are the relationships between dragons and humans?
Jerreb
Dec 31, 2013 Jerreb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Really loved this short story. It has both great action and character development. I enjoyed it so much I went looking for other stories with these characters. Unfortunately I couldn't find any others. If she wrote more, can someone let me know.
A
Jun 24, 2015 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found for free on smashwords.

Perfect for a quick afternoon read, fans of dragons will love this one. Dragon bonds, family bonds, and a new relationship--plus some baby dragons--abound in this quickie. Love to see more!
Loring Wagner
Jan 12, 2016 Loring Wagner rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable reading. A new twist on the dragon and rider theme, one that is quite refreshing. Defiantly gay themed adventure.

A very enjoyable read, completely gay themed. A refreshing new twist on the dragon and rider theme. I'd recommend it to anyone over 16.
Kia Shiru
Jun 10, 2011 Kia Shiru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the great story ^^
Did not expect the plot at all. I love the LGBT genre but since I did not sort on genre but just free books I thought this was a regular fantasy story.
The surprise was one of happiness though :)
  • Finding the Wolf (The Dragon's Hoard, #1)
  • The Finder
  • Forgotten Soul (Soul Reader, #1)
  • Making Dragon Stew
  • Fires Of Ballian (The Draegan Lords, #3)
  • Blood Red
  • Look Sharp (Hidden Talents, #3)
  • Sorcerer's Knot
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
  • Tomfoolery
  • To Sir, With Love
  • Bourbon Affair (Pentacles of Magick #2.5)
  • Intrigue At The Crowned Jewel
  • Different Senses
  • Tiger and the Raven
I've been writing since I was a wee thing, and publishing since I discovered the internet in 1994 or so.

Half of my week, I am a project manager developing IT solutions. For the rest of the week, weekends, and every waking hour outside work, you can find me scribbling away at many a story that just won't leave me alone.

So what do I write? Contemporary and urban fantasy have mainly been my playgro
More about Sophie Duncan...