Start by marking “Sorrow's Child (The Taint, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sorrow's Child (The Taint, #1)

Sorrow's Child (The Taint #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Found guilty of witchcraft, Lilith, a young orphan and an indentured servant, is minutes away from being hung. But destiny disagrees…

Rescued, she is guided to Branwen Tower where Ge-Iad, a powerful sorcerer, awaits her. It seems Lilith has found true happiness at last: a home free from persecution and a mentor who will teach her how to use her newfound magic.

But appearance
ebook, 1st Edition, 473 pages
Published May 17th 2012 by Georgina Anne Taylor

To ask other readers questions about Sorrow's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorrow's Child

Kelly
Not what I would call a YA novel. Or perhaps it's only YA in the sense that the main character is only 14. Everything else in this book is just plain dark fantasy and I feel that giving it the YA tag may make a lot of people who would love this dark tale overlook it.

When I started "The Taint: Sorrow's Child" I wasn't sure quite what to think. The dark, twisted imagery that it begins with gave me the idea of the distinctly Gothic flavor of the book, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be my pre
~ Celeste ~
This is not a "child's" story ~ If the cover or the witch's age of fourteen suggests that to you, let me tell you clearly, it isn't. But, I wouldn't have a problem with either of my high school aged daughters reading it. Even then, I don't know if the writer intended this story for that age group. It really is a fairy tale / gothic fantasy for adults.

The main character is a young witch named Lilith ~ She is "sorrow's child". She goes from rags to riches, but there is a twist ~ Is the change for
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review & Spoilers

I started the book with low expectations because (1) presently I can count on one hand books I liked, i.e. 3-stars+ rated, that were authored by my Goodreads friends, (2) Sorrow's Child (SC) was marketed as gothic fantasy and gothic fantasy is on the edge of my genre preference, (3) the blurb — (view spoiler)
Natalie Owens
Haunting, dark, a swirl of horrific imaginings and goings on... Georgina tells Lilith's tale in a lyrical voice that twists around you and doesn't let you go. Lilith's story is as compelling as it is an homage to the gothic. The twisted veins of surrealism and magic permeate the pages from the start and seduce you so deeply into the story that you find you can't stop reading. The language is rich and suggestive. This book is expertly edited. Full stars to Ms. Taylor for weaving a tale to remembe ...more
Sherri
Review soon to come :)

Edit May 27th, 2012:
Review soon to be posted on my blog, written but needs to be posted. Will be up within the week :)

Edit May 28th, 2012:
Review is up and you may find it here- http://southernboundsoul.wordpress.com Enjoy!

.:::::Edit June 1st, 2012: Here's the review y'all :) :::::.

"On the Isle of Muin, one of the thirteen scattered Meda Isles, Lillith, a young orphan and an indentured servant, is found guilty of witchcraft and is condemned to hang... Everyone and everything
Tony Rattigan
Another nice piece from Georgina Anne Taylor. It flows along nicely, which is hard to do with essentially only one main character, (all the others are just fleeting appearances, really). Lillith is an engaging character that kept me so interested that I completely overlooked the fact that I was reading a YA book (as she is only 14) a genre I normally avoid.

The flowery prose seems to have been toned down a bit from Georgina’s earlier stories, which I find a bit disappointing as I enjoyed that sty
type95
2 Girls 1 Book
Christine 4/5

‘Sorrow’s Child’, the first novel in ‘The Taint’ series, is a dark fairytale steeped in myth and magic. In a richly gothic setting, ‘Sorrow’s Child’ is a coming of age story and a tale of betrayal and bloody revenge.

On the Isle of Muin, one of the thirteen scattered Meda Isles, Lilith, a young orphan and an indentured servant, is found guilty of witchcraft and is condemned to hang…

This gothic fairy tale captured my interest immediately. The story starts with a hangman’s noose and jo
Kris
UGH! DROPPED!!

"Did it not strike you, Lilith, that by doing so* you may have led the young man into believing it was an invitation to further intimacies?"
*letting a young man stay in the kitchen while Lilith's master was away when he had a message to give.

I just... words. I have no words for how absolutely disgusted I was with that passage. So she lets a young man stay in the kitchen while her master is gone, feeds him from kindness, and then he tries to RAPE her and it is HER FAULT?! No. Absolu

산드라
Not a kid's story. The story line is a bit jumbled up, and there are terms used that aren't ever explained.
Lollie
I simply couldn't finish this book, it moved entirely too slow.
Booknut
Jan 09, 2013 Booknut marked it as to-read
Such a beautiful cover!!
Auntie J
Aug 09, 2014 Auntie J marked it as to-read-own
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Free for Kindle 10/24/12
Donna Maguire
Donna Maguire marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Aeokie
Aeokie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
 Élise Samantha
Élise Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Amy (Demonkittie)
Amy (Demonkittie) marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jenn Ferris
Jenn Ferris marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
David Fernau
David Fernau marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Shellie
Shellie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Madge
Madge marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Kayla Eklund
Kayla Eklund marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chat with the author 1 3 Feb 17, 2013 05:59PM
I'm an Australian artist and writer, with a Bachelor of Visual Arts, majoring in photography from the Queensland College of Art, Griffith University.

I was represented by Lyn Tranter of Australian Literary Management from 2007 to 2011. Sorrow's Child, is my first novel.

More about Georgina Anne Taylor...
Fairy Tales for Freya Octavia (The Taint) Slipstream The Piper The Woman of the Well

“You shall be the Reaper, Lilith,’ the Aquis said. ‘You shall be the Redeemer. The Seducer of Demigods and the Slayer of Kings.” 1 likes
“Branches moved and shadows shifted as Lilith dug the poppet's final grave.” 1 likes