Barrett's Unusual Ice Cream Party

Barrett's Unusual Ice Cream Party

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  7 reviews
That will make you sick.' This is one of the first phrases six-year-old Barrett learns because he has celiac sprue, which means he can't eat cake and bread or even drink milk. Barrett is embarrassed of how different he is from the other kids in his class...until a new kid who also has unusual allergies comes to school. At Barrett's Unusual Ice Cream Party, Barrett and his...more
Published January 18th 2012 by Tate Publishing

Alison
Let me preface this with the fact that I really wanted to like this book. As a person with celiac I was excited for a piece of children’s literature to read to my niece who never quite understood why I have “special” food.

I was extremely disappointed by the misleading information about celiac sprue. Yes, people with celiac cannot have gluten but most CAN have milk, eggs, and soy. I think the book needed to point out that Barrett had other food allergies instead of attributing them to celiac.

Ad...more
Heather Truett
My son does not have celiac's, but he does have a gluten intolerance and doesn't handle dairy well either. Since learning these things, our family has made adjustments to our grocery shopping and how I prepare food. My son, Haydn, is ten-years-old. He has handled all of these changes remarkably well. He doesn't try to sneak the foods he can't have, and he has been open to trying a handful of new things.

That said, there are times Haydn gets left out. If I don't realize his children's group is go...more
Paula Decaria
This is a great children's book, but it's mot just any children's book. It's a book about food intolerances. Barrett's Unusual Ice Cream Party tells the story that our food intolerant kids are facing on a daily basis, and it lets them know that it's okay--actually it's pretty cool, in fact--that they are different.

When I read this book to my kids, I think they both realized that school is okay, even with homepacked lunches and different treats than everyone else. This book explained it better in...more
Dana
Love this thoughtful little book. My 8 year old daughter has celiac disease and for the most part her friends at school are very sensitive and caring towards my daughter when she can't participate in birthday celebrations that include cupcakes, cookies, cakes or donuts. However there are a few kids that don't understand her disease and she can at times, feel a little sad... This is a great book that she can take to school and let kids know that she is normal and very special and probably healthi...more
Linda
There are not many resources out there that help children with food allergies understand and come to grips with their issues. This was a fun story that will relate with children that helpfully addresses the issue.
Jackie
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Teaches about differences in a gentle way. I hope it will help my Aspie grandson.
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
My son had me read it twice in a row and my baby girl loved the pictures. Great recipes in the back too.
Cheryl Krupp
Cheryl Krupp marked it as to-read
Lori Goldstein
Lori Goldstein marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Terrye
Terrye marked it as to-read
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Tori Knowles
Tori Knowles marked it as to-read
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Cindi
Cindi marked it as to-read
Stephanie Swanson
Stephanie Swanson marked it as to-read
Angel
Angel added it
Amy Leaverton
Amy Leaverton marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Coeliac: Children's book 2 5 Aug 20, 2012 04:45PM
Michelle L. King is a former kindergarten teacher. She lives in Logan, Utah with her husband, Brannon, and her children Barrett, Abbie, and Kaden.
More about Michelle L. King...
Mr. Percy's Mysterious Glasses