Start by marking “The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life” as Want to Read:
The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life

The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Every age has answered the questions and challenges of spiritual living in its own particular ways through its languages, arts, and lifestyles, giving seekers various concepts for guidance. In this original manifesto, bestselling author Joan Chittister delivers a roadmap based on the ancient Rule of Benedict that stands as a practical model upon which to build a satisfying ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by BlueBridge (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Monastery of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monastery of the Heart

Maria
What I Can Tell You: I have never heard of Joan Chittister and this is one of the most wonderful things about being a book reviewer. Sometimes things cross my desk that would have never been on my radar.

I am one of those people who go by the motto "everything happens for a reason" and I do believe there is a reason this book came my way.

Being more spiritual than religious I was worried that I would come away thinking I was preached to, feeling that this book was way beyond what I believe or kn
Kitty
Joan Chittister puts the Rule of St Benedict in lyrical, easily accessible language.
Penny
Love this book! It will seem like a quick read, but try to read only a chapter a week, reading that same chapter every day. Or at least give a couple days to each chapter. Each paragraph deserves thought. "To pursue the path of Benedictine spirituality means that we will leave whatever part of the world we inhabit-- its neighborhoods and nations, its oceans and preserves, its forests and its soil--in better condition than they were before we came."
Catherine Casey
I found Monasteries of the Heart a very good read which brought a number of things into perspective for someone wishing to or committed too living a Form of Monastic life. I look forward to renewing some resolve, as well as reading more of Joan Chittister's work. I wouls highly recommend reading it.
Jean Marie Angelo
I knew nothing about Joan Chittister. Several friends recommended her to me, and this was my first introduction. I came to this not knowing that Joan is a Benedictine, that she has been inclusive of everyone, and that her acceptance and humility have brought her under investigation of the Roman Catholic Church. The prose here is simple, straightforward, and beautiful. I learned about the Rule of Benedict and how it can apply to our modern lives. The basic tenents of prayer, meaningful work, and ...more
Simon
I have not always agreed with Joan Chittister, OSB, but have persevered with her because she has often highlighted significant points, or people in whom we recognise something that calls us on. In this book she takes the basis of the Benedictine Rule and puts it in more contemporary language. She then offers it to people not only in monasteries but wherever we are: online, at work, in homes. It has many passages worthy of pondering in hearts and minds. But it rewards one who reads the entire boo ...more
James
An excellent resource for shaping one's life.
Nancy
Thought-provoking - best phrase '...God of surprises...'
Maria
This book is the companion to the Erie Benedictines' new Monasteries of the Heart program. Rather than prose, the book is written in a poetic, meditational style seemingly so as to be inspirational rather than instructional. I personally don't find the book very inspirational nor do I find it a very good introduction to Benedictine spirituality.
Diane
This is a set of reflections in verse format on the Benedictine Rule. I am quite taken with the Benedictine Rule and generally enjoy books about it. I seemed to get bored with this one, perhaps because of the verse style which should have been great, but I found it distracting.
Pam I.
This very elegant, almost poetic, presentation of basic Benedictine principles invites one to embrace and live monastically yet engaged in routine daily life in the real world. The poetic style makes this a beautiful reading experience.
Candace Simar
This beautifully written book about Benedictine spirituality is one that I will read again. It's practical, loving, encouraging and uplifting. I'd recommend it to anyone who seeks a closer walk with God.
Patti Clement
Easy read but I can't seem to finish it! I love to hear her speak, but am having difficulty reading her book. I think because she is so dynamic as a speaker and the words don't come to life for me.
Marti
If you want to know about the Benedictine way of life, this is a book that will help you see your way into the "Rule of Benedict."
Charles Roberts
A grand example of how words intended to inform can also be chosen and written in such combination that they create a work of art.
Valerie
A great resource I'm still going back to again and again with my fellow Benedictine Oblates.
Emy
Emy marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Sara Salfrank
Sara Salfrank marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Jean Ann
Jean Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Arloa Sutter
Arloa Sutter is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
Coleman
Coleman marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Emily McFarlan Miller
Emily McFarlan Miller is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2015
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Maryanna
Maryanna marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict
  • Seeds of Contemplation
  • Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life
  • The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind
  • Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark's Story of Jesus
  • Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
  • The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus
  • Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction
Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir

“Benedictine spirituality, after all,
is life lived to the hilt.
It is a life of concentration
on life's ordinary dimensions.
It is an attempt to do
the ordinary things of life
extraordinarily well.”