Start by marking “Pariah” as Want to Read:
Pariah

Pariah (Bequin #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor returns to action to hunt the most dangerous enemy he has ever encountered, a disgraced inquisitor, driven by obsession to bind daemons to his will and consort with heretics. For Ravenor, this is more than just a manhunt; it is personal. This foe was once his greatest ally and most trusted friend: his old mentor, Gregor Eisenhorn.
Published November 2012 by The Black Library (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pariah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pariah

Richard
Pariah! For those who waited years for the final 'trilogy of trilogies,' closure is upon us!

Pariah had me hooked from the very beginning, as Bequin is back from her coma (Or is she?) and is embroiled in a complex plot with many a twist and turn. I constantly asked myeslef "The hell is going on here?" and powered through the novel in two days. Of course, I had even more unanswered questions by the end and will have to wait god knows how long for the next book and hope for "Penitent."

I'll call ou
Joshua
Someone please get to work cloning Mr. Abnett.
James Whitbread
wow. I was hooked from the very beginning. In fairness, I had been waiting for this book for a very long time, so expectations were high. Dan Abnett, as always, did not disappoint. The characters are fantastic, brilliantly portrayed and intelligently written. When the twists come, they come in such a subtle way that you feel your jaw drop when the full impact of what you have just read sinks in. As for the ending, well that had me grinning from ear to ear and yanking at my hair for more. Bravo, ...more
Owen
I was excited about this book, because I liked Bequin, and I wanted to see what would happen next for her, Eisenhorn, and Ravenor. However, while the book had some exciting, interesting, and creepy parts, it feels like a bit of a bait-and-switch.

(view spoiler)
Vincent
Once again, all cards on the table I am a big Dan Abnett fan and I was a big supported of both the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series. This is billed as a continuation of those, but really it is a third series that the previous two inquisitors make an appearance in. The main character would be familiar to readers of those series - Alizebeth Bequin. But it is not the same person and this is not the same series.

The tone and style of the book is different from previous books, but still well written and
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the latest Inquisition novel from Dan Abnett.

“In the battle of expectations versus reality, it’s my expectations that got bombed to hell.” ~The Founding Fields

When Black Library announced last year that Dan Abnett was going to be penning a new installment for his Inquisition series, I was fairly excited. His novels with Inquisitors Gregor Eisenhorn and Gideon Ravenor are some of my
Ross Hamilton
Pariah was a little slower to get going than some of Abnett's other works although this did not count against it as a story. However Ravenor and Eisenhorn did not actually enter the story until quite late in things, making the 'Ravenor vs Eisenhorn' subtitle seem a little superflous.

As I read, I had a curious sense of while knowing it was a Warhammer 40,000 novel, there was at the same time more of a fantasy feel. The sci fi nature was not exactly hitting you over the head. Again, this did not
Michael Alexander Henke
This book started out quite slowly. I loved the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, so I was super pumped for this come out. I was disappointed at first, the titular characters of Eisenhorn and Ravenor are nowhere to be found in the first two thirds or so of the book. I'm glad I stuck with it and trusted Abnett to deliver a great story. He wraps everything up, brings it all together, and leaves the story on such an awesome cliffhanger that I can't wait for the next book.
Garrett
I didn't think much of the War40k universe until I read Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. I came rather late to the party, but the advantage of doing so was that I got to read the whole Eisenhorn trilogy over the span of a week or so. I enjoyed it greatly, and of course, promptly went out later to purchase the entire Ravenor trilogy and read that as well.

The reason I mention this is because reading PARIAH has been a different experience for me - the tension I felt after finishing the bo
Kayla
Normally Dan Abnett novels have me burning through their pages because I need to know what happens next. This time, I found myself pushing through the first ten chapters to get to the parts that make me read quickly to find out what happens. I was starting to feel slightly disappointed and then I started chapter eleven. It just went exponentially uphill from there. Even though a few plot points were glaringly obvious, I believe they were meant to be. It wasn't about "who is this?" it was more "h ...more
Aleksi
Oh my god. Dan Abnett once again shows why his the best in the business. Pariah cannot be described properly with words. It was pure brilliance and certainly a worthy sequel to the amazing Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. Really cannot wait for Penitent.

Seriousy, buy Pariah, read Pariah, love Pariah.
Ash Barker

As a set up for existing fans, it will be a confusing twisty slide around unknown territory with the odd familiar face.

For people new to the series but fans of 40k, it may just seem a glorious mess with far too many players.
Kam
I'm one of those readers who enjoys a good twist in any story I'm reading. I like it when authors surprise me with something completely out of left field, when they catch me off-guard with something. I like it that way because I have a tendency to guess what will happen next - the result of reading far too many mysteries at a rather young age, I suppose. I'm willing to make room for certain genre conventions (such as the happily-ever-after for a couple in a romance novel), but any time the autho ...more
Crispin
Odd book, took me awhile to get into it. But i did at the end and now i want the next book... quickly. I would recommend re-reading the Eisenhorn trilogy before reading this. I wish i had!
Jaye
Now that's more like it! This is a Warhammer book that is capable of standing on its own, though it owes a lot to the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, and is likely to be incomprehensible to anyone not familiar with the setting.

When last we saw her, Alizabeth Bequin was brain-dead in stasis after a nasty encounter with a Chaos Titan. This book finds her clone being trained as an operative for the Inquisition, or so she thinks...

There were lots of surprises in this book. I knew Eisenhorn moved in
Skut L
Abnett once again proves he's one of the best BL has on its roster.
Matias
The book's awesome! Now that I've read it again after reading its prequels, I tell you, this is awesome!

My previous "horrible" review was:
Pariah is by far one of the better 40K novels. I'm rather a 40K fan than a Dan Abnett fan, although I consider him as one of my three favorite 40K writers. Having said that, I must also confess - with great shame - that I haven't read Eisenhorn Omnibus or Ravenor Omnibus. (Currently I don't know where to purchase them since there's none in Black Library, GW an
Mick
I've made no secret of my admiration for Dan Abnett and his Inquisition series in my reviews of previous volumes Eisenhorn and Ravenor: The Omnibus. These books, I argued, not only rank among the best examples of tie-in fiction but transcend the genre. This has a lot to do with author Dan Abnett, who respects the property enough to write convincingly within it but always leaves it transformed, and with the property's owner Games Workshop, who allow him the freedom to do so.

The Inqusitition seri
Ben
Am I a hypocrite for not liking Pariah as much as I thought I would? Am I? After writing a story as complicated as Secret War.

Don't get me wrong it was...alright. I found it a little too convoluted, to many factions were involved. Way to many, I count about six, all vying for one thing, Bequin. It's hard to write this review without spoilers. So I won't, argg! there be spoilers from here on.

Alright I'm writing this while on a energy drink rush, so it may not be coherent.

The start of the story co
Jean-Luc
If you haven't read the Eisenhorn trilogy or the Ravenor trilogy, then in my humble opinion you should put this down. This isn't for you.

You may be surprised (I certainly was), but Dan Abnett doesn't care what I think! He wrote this book with the knowledge that a reader new to the Warhammer 40,000 universe and/or Dark Heresy could pick up this book, and everything is described in a way so that no previous experience is required.

Not explained, described. They are 2 very different things.

Alizabeth
Nathan
First posted at Fantasy Review Barn

How does one review a book that follows two distinct trilogies? A fan who has already read through ‘Eisenhorn’ and ‘Ravenor’ with no doubt be going after ‘Pariah,’ and no one else is going to bother.

So, if you have not read ‘Eisenhorn,’ check it out and see if it is for you. It is the best written tie-in fiction I have found (for whatever that is worth), and I wrote a real rough review for it in February. It was followed by the ‘Ravenor’ trilogy, which was al
Will
Nathan

By far the most disappointing thing I've read from Dan Abnett, and I've read all of Eisenhorn and Ravenor and the related short stories, nearly all of Gaunt's Ghosts, and some of his Horus Heresy work. The book's name and description are extremely misleading. There are barely any appearances by the titular characters, and instead the book is a slow plodding set up centered on a new character that isn't all that interesting. There are a few really good set pieces in the book, but many of the anta
Guillaume
Cet opus devait sceller la rencontre du Maître déchu contre l'élève.

Et bien, c'est long, il faut des rebondissements et du rythme pour lancer un roman qui ne decollera jamais.

Ce n'est que par nostalgie que le feedback n'est pas plus sévère!
Tom
For those of you who are not fans of the 40K-verse or Dan Abnett I can recommend this as a good gothic sci-fi novel. It's not some grand epic but there is plenty of very well written action and intrigue and you don't need to have read the previous books to enjoy it.
...but Throne does it help! Ok for those of you who are fans of Dan Abnett's 40K work let me tell you right now that you are in for a treat. There is no way to explain why without giving away major spoilers but trust me when I say th
John Hogue
I've read Eisenhorn -loved it. I've read Ravenor -loved it. I've read Gaunt's Ghosts series -loved it.

I was very underwhelmed with Pariah, there was none of the chase, adventure, drama, mystery or suspense to keep me turning pages right off the bat like the books Abnett has written before. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't up to some of the other books Dan has written.

Additionally, I felt like some of the 'throwbacks' to Eisenhorn and Ravenor in the book would have seemed awkward to someone not fami
Felix Castro
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. If you enjoy Abnett's Inquisition series you'll enjoy this first book of the Bequin trilogy
Andrew Ziegler
Edoardo Albert
I've been trying to work out why Dan Abnett is so good at writing Warhammer 40k novels. Certainly, he has the requisite skills as narrator, character builder, and plotter to be a very fine writer, but the key ability, it seems to me, that gives his Warhammer 40k novels depth is language: his ability to find exactly the right invented-but-familiar word to convey, simultaneously, information and strangeness. For instance, in Titanicus, 'scrapcode' was a brilliant term for the crazed chatter of the ...more
Mario Polytaridis
Seriously! What an amazing book! And you have no clue what the hell is going on for over 3/4 but it keeps you hooked as the protagonist unravels mystery like an onion while the tension of her pursuers never lets up. Easily one of Abnett's best books. Anyone complaining that it's not exactly 100% true to the canon should just relax and enjoy this for what it is... an awesome thriller with some memorable characters, fantastic plot twists and even better... there's a sequel on the way!

Even in the e