Start by marking “Murder In Montparnasse (Phryne Fisher, #12)” as Want to Read:
Murder In Montparnasse (Phryne Fisher, #12)

Murder In Montparnasse (Phryne Fisher #12)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,438 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Always enticing in divine twenties fashion, Phryne, one of the most exciting and likeable heroines in crime writing today, leads us through a tightly plotted maze of thrilling adventure set in 1920s Australia. The divine Phryne Fisher returns to lead another dance of intrigue. Seven Australian soldiers, carousing in Paris in 1918, unknowingly witness a murder and their pre ...more
Published February 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Murder In Montparnasse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder In Montparnasse

Damaskcat
Phryne Fisher's friends - Bert and Cec, taxi drivers and wharfies - are worried that some of their former army mates from the Great War are being murdered. Phryne agrees that there seems to be something odd going on and wonders whether it is linked to something they may have witnessed in Paris.

Phryne herself was in Paris at the time but it is part of her life she really doesn't want to recall. Current circumstances force her to confront her fears and deal with the past.

Phryne also has two other
Siria
Another enjoyable installment in the Phryne Fisher series, with all of the strengths and weaknesses familiar from the earlier books—in other words, great literature this ain't, but it's ideal for reading on a train-and-plane trip. I do wish that Greenwood had toned down the historical cameos in this one a tad, though; having just come back from two months in Paris, her description of the city in 1918 felt especially two-dimensional.
Christyn
Murder in Montparnasee is probably one of my favorite Phryne Fisher books. We have murder, intrigue, drama (of all sorts), wonderfully descriptive setting & writing, and a lovable cast of characters. Opening one of these books is just like meeting up with old friends. I highly recommend reading the books in order to get the full experience as you meet and get to know (and love) these characters through each book.

This book in particular differs from the previous books in the fact this one
Ivonne Rovira
Murder in Montparnasse features an unusually ruminant Phryne Fisher. In a novel set in 1928, the fabulous Phryne delves into two mysteries: the disappearance of a wealthy girl just returned from Paris and the suspected murders of two ANZAC soldiers who fought with Phryne's red-ragger friends, Bert Johnson and Cecil Yates.

Needless to say, Phryne solves both cases, but what really distinguishes Kerry Greenwood's 12th Phryne Fisher mystery is its exploration of Phryne's vulnerabilities and its win
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #12 Phryne Fisher, Investigator, 1928 Melbourne; historical PI/thriller A missing girl and murder attempts on her friends Bert and Cec, make life rather difficult for the lovely Phryne, and then there’s the matter of her lover Lin Chang’s upcoming nuptuals...

(view spoiler)
Leah
Another light and delightful Phryne Fisher offering. The quality of writing has improved immensely by this point in the series, and I just lay back and let myself be entertained. There are three major plot points to be solved, and while the story tends to focus completely on one, then completely on another, they are all given their proper dues and resolved satisfactorily.

Greenwood has a mild tendency to give every character, no matter how minor, a sentence or two of backstory, mostly to explain
Deanne
Seven soldiers, a kidnapped heiress, an unpleasant race horse owner and a dodgy frenchman from Phryne's past.
There's a chance to see more of Phryne's life before she arrived in Australia, from the time when she's 17 til the end of WW1 and her arrival in Paris.
There's the usual characters, and not only does Hugh Collins make more of an appearance, we finally meet Mrs Robinson.
There's a few twists and a good storyline with two cases which Phryne juggles.
Phair
My first Phryne Fisher! While jumping in at the middle so to speak left me playing catch-up with who was who & what was what I did eventually become immersed in the period and loved Phryne. She is a bit like Emma Peel- lots of skills & connections at all levels of society (no snob she) but still a lover of style. Many fascinating characters I want to know more about. Will definitely continue with this series.
Stven
Phryne Fisher is in full swing in this, the 12th book of her series. Her past exploits as an ambulance driver in the Great War, oft the subject of allusion, are here more fully detailed in retrospect, as is her demob into the Paris of that fabled era. The memoirs de salon et atelier, exquisitely researched, mix it up with her current case in Australia and the result is delightful.
Linda
As the title suggests, the murder case has its origins in post-WWl France. Several of Bert and Cec's army buddies are at risk but for an unknown reason and they ask Phryne to lend a hand. We learn much more about her own experience of living in Paris post-war with flashbacks interspersed with the ongoing case in Melbourne. Rosie Robinson finally makes an appearance, Lin Chung arranged-marriage bride arrives and Mr Butler threatens to quit. To further complicate matters the daughter of a local ra ...more
Ladiibbug
#12 Phryne Fisher series - Historical Mystery

Oh, how refreshing to catch up with Phryne (rhymes with 'briny'), the sophisticated, wealthy Australian woman with a talent for investigation.

Phryne's wharfie mates, Bert and Cec, come to Phryne with the fact that members of their 1918 soldier group are having mysterious accidents resulting in their deaths. Bert and Cec ask Phryne to help, as they and surviving members of the soldiers are in fear for their lives.

Phryne must confront her own memories
Justine
A fun and entertaining read. Read this series many years ago and gave those I owned away in last big clean up. Enjoying TV series though so happy to revisit any available in local library. Enjoy the characters and the style, but so love Corrina more. Bring on more!
Grey853
Jann Barber
This is Phryne's 12th outing, yet Greenwood shows no signs of flagging in her storytelling.

This book has it all! Kidnapping, extortion, murder, household chaos, a fancy dress ball, French food, fabulous fashion, flashbacks to the past, and Phryne's insatiable appetites (for food, sex, and adventure).

Our mystery book club members are to read one of the books in the Phryne Fisher series. I always hesitate to recommend a book I enjoy, for fear that someone else won't like it as much as I. It will b
Ms_prue
Everything I know about postwar Paris I learned from this book.
Beth E
This book is unique in the Phryne Fisher series. It gives a flashback to Phryne's past, in what is probably her most formative years.

Phryne is asked by Cec and Bert to investigate when it appears that their fellow veterans are being murdered one by one. This triggers Phryne's memories of her own WWI experience, and the life she experienced afterwards in Paris including her unhappy first love. She needs some comforting from Lin Chung in order to confront the past, just as his fiancee appears from
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
We're in flashback country for Phyrne in this installment. Events combine to make her remember her days as an ambulance driver in France during WW1 and its aftermath. Bert and Cece are the ones who need her help as they and their war buddies are in danger of death for a reason they can't even remember. Life is less than comfortable in the Fisher menage, as Lin Chung receives his bride-to-be from China and the Butlers threaten to resign. Is this the end of life as Phyrne knows it?

While well-writ
This was an OK read. The crimes are reliably solved by a strong, well described main character, at the expense of all the other characters in the story, who only exist to glorify/interest/bounce off the main.
Like a lot of stories - on TV and in books, of this genre, the plot is the driver, and although this series seems pretty well written, and particularly attractive to an Australian audience, as it's set in Melbourne in the early decades of the 20th century, it just doesn't interest me.
I'm i
Marianne
Murder in Montparnasse is the twelfth book in the popular Phryne Fisher series by Australian author, Kerry Greenwood. A request from the French chef/owner of Café Anatole to locate a missing prospective young bride has Phryne thinking back to her time in Paris in 1918. Shortly after, Bert and Cec ask for Phryne’s help with the suspicious death of two of their mates from the war: they believe others in their group of seven diggers are in danger. Discussion leads Phryne to conclude that they witne ...more
Vivienne
Alongside the synopsis given by Goodreads above, there is also a second case involving the disappearance of a wealthy young woman, Elizabeth Chambers, who has just returned from Paris. Her intended fiancé, M’sieur Anatole, asks Phryne to investigate and she discovers that Elizabeth's father, racing identity and grump, Hector Chambers has received a ransom demand with instructions not to contact the police.

One of the themes of the novel is arranged marriages. There is Lin Chung's to a young woma
Cheryl
We had borrowed Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries from Netflix and I was so bitterly disappointed by the dumbing down of the characters and the flattened out plot on the ABC version that I checked out the book for a rereading & palate cleanser. I was relieved that the original was as complex and fun as. I remembered and that Phryne Fisher's household and its denizens were just as interesting and much more than the bit players that the TV series makes them into. Whew!
Ann
Phryne Fisher is called into investigating two cases in this episode. A young girl has disappeared just prior to her wedding to a much older man. The fiance' not the father has called Phryne in. Bert and Cec, her favorite henchmen, ask her to look into the deaths of two of their wartime buddies. Phryne goes back in time as she investigates the deaths and it brings painful memories to light. This was an excellent book as all of the Phryne books are.
Sharron
Though I had earlier read the first in this series set in Melbourne in the 1920s and liked it, I must confess that I enjoyed this entry (#12) more. While this story is better constructed, I think the real reason is that I've begun watching the new PBS series "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" and thoroughly enjoying it.. The show is a lark, campy and very tongue in cheek. And the clothes are to die for. As a result, I read the book with a much stronger visual image in my mind's eye than I would ha ...more
In this installment of the Phryne Fisher series, the reader gets a glimpse into Phryne's past, when she was an ambulance driver in WWI and first got her heart broken. Phryne is searching for a person who is killing off Burt and Cec's pals from the war. She is also looking for the daughter of a gangster who is engaged to a prominent French cook. All this leads Phryne to recall and face the time she spent in Paris and all the people she met there. I think this is a more personal book because Phryn ...more
Melissa Burke
Thoroughly enjoyed

All of the Miss Fisher mysteries are thoroughly enjoyable and this one is no exception. A young lady that has the flapper sense of morals from the 1920's as well as compassion, intelligence and nerve. Soldiers are being killed, young ladies disappearing, as well as her lover taking a bride are handled by Miss Fisher and her entourage. Entertaining.
Alisonpaddock
Lots of new background and info about the characters. I have seen the TV series and this story line got a different treatment - probably to simplify for viewers. The book is more satisfying and quite well done.
Deb
I like this series to escape and read something fun and light plus I like that the endings are all wrapped up nice and neat. Phryne reflects on her time in Paris after WW1 when she was an ambulance driver during the war. She recalls a romance (her first love) who happens to appear 10+ years later in Melbourne Australia. Phryne is on a case of a missing woman as well as finding the killer of two soldiers that were part of a group of Australian soldiers that were in Paris on leave after the war. A ...more
Kathleen
Again, the tv episode is just different enough to make this still enjoyable - she's still involved w/Lin, instead of the dreamy Inspector Robinson of the show (he's *not* dreamy in the books, but a great guy).
Elizabeth
I like Phryne because she is fun. This book was only ok, because there was not as much fun as I would have liked. As usual things were a tad too convenient and improbable, but normally I don't care. I actually found myself a bit dismayed, then bored, then bummed that things were getting too serious without giving real credence to the situation. Then I wanted to quit reading because I don't read Phryne for harsh realities anyway. I don't want to give real credence to humanities ugliness. Ugh. I'm ...more
Cindy
I like the Australian flavor of this series. This time the focus is on Parisian culture since Phryne spent time in France as an ambulance driver during WWI. Justice is not always according to the law.
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Stalking Ivory (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #2)
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Defender of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #2)
  • Web of Deceit
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax 14)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

“Things accumulated in purses. Unless they were deliberately unloaded and all contents examined for utility occasionally, one could find oneself transporting around in one's daily life three lipstick cases with just a crumb of lipstick left, an old eyebrow pencil sharpener without a blade, pieces of defunct watch, odd earrings, handkerchiefs (three crumpled, one uncrumpled), two grubby powder puffs, bent hairpins, patterns of ribbon to be matched, a cigarette lighter without fuel (and two with fuel), a spark plug, some papers of Bex and a sprinkling of loose white aspirin, eleven train tickets (the return half of which had not been given up), four tram tickets, cinema and theatre stubs, seven pence three farthings in loose change and the mandatory throat lozenge stuck to the lining. At least, those had been the extra contents of Phyrne's bag the last time Dot had turned it out.” 2 likes
“The young will no longer be advised by the old," she said to the hall porter.

"That is because we advised them to die," said the hall porter.”
2 likes