Start by marking “Murder In The Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)” as Want to Read:
Murder In The Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)

Murder In The Dark (Phryne Fisher #16)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,213 ratings  ·  90 reviews
It's Christmas, and Phryne has an invitation to the Last Best party of 1928, a four-day extravaganza being held at Werribee Manor house and grounds by the Golden Twins, Isabella and Gerald Templar. She knew them in Paris, where they caused a sensation. Phryne is in two minds about going when she starts receiving anonymous threats warning her against attending. She promptly ...more
Published February 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Murder In The Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder In The Dark

Erin
Not the best in the stories about Phryne, but not too bad all the same.

I can't help thinking back to the first few books in this series and making a bit of a character comparison of Phryne Fisher then and now. It's hard to tell if it's the character who's mellowed or the author. For sure Phryne seems much less of floozy than she did in the first couple of books (I know, I know, she's "free spirited" and more comfortable with her sexuality than the average 1920's lady), but it's hard to tell if t
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I give this book 5 stars because it was exactly what I wanted: a romp, a good, fun, light read that cheers and inebriates...particularly if you make up any of the cocktail recipes at the end of each chapter!

Phryne Fisher is up to her usual tricks in this episode. Lin Chung doesn't want her to attend a weekend house party held by a group of Bright Young People. Reason enough for her to insist on going--but an attempt on her life by an unusual if beautiful method decides the issue: she's going. No
Jann Barber
This is the 16th book in the series, but is the first one I read. Phryne Fisher is described as delectable, and she certainly is.

Phryne is invited to a "last best" party at the end of 1928. This is to be a four-day extravaganza, hosted by the Golden Twins, Isabella and Gerald Templar. Phryne met them during her time in Paris. They have relocated, along with their entourage, to Australia, and have acquired the use of Werribee Manor House and grounds.

Phryne considered declining until she received
Lorna
An entertaining mystery, but I don't understand why the two orgy scenes were necessary... I don't really consider myself a prude, and sex in books is fine and can aid a story, but really? Orgies? I had already gathered that the planned murder victim, Gerald, was rather hedonistic based on the sumptuous setting, lavish entertainment, and the array of beautiful young men he surrounded himself with. Did not need the extra help on this one.

I did enjoy the riddles Phryne had to figure out along the w
Library-KAT

Such lush decadence.... 1920's Australia and the "Last Best Party of 1928" is being given by the Templar twins, who have moved from Paris to Australia due to a dwindling of funds and they have seen fit to renew their friendship w/ the Hon. Miss Phryne Fisher by inviting her to the party!

The Hon. Miss Fisher is an extremely intelligent, affable, clear thinking, freedom loving woman. She has two adopted daughters, a Sapphic sister, a devoted lady's companion/secretary, extremely capable butler &
Bryan Higgs
I jumped ahead a bit in my reading of the Phryne Fisher series, because I was at the library wanting to take home a couple of those books, and this was available on the shelf.

I found this book quite different from the earlier books. Well, not so much different, more that the writing style seemed to have become a little more exaggerated and over the top. And the plot seemed a little more vague than before.

The book contained a lot of poetry (one even in French, although there was a translation at
Nancy
I'm bounding through a few of the Phryne Fisher mysteries this week and definitely think that an "immersion course" in them is the way to go. Each book (so far) has had its strength's (Phrynee) and weaknesses (ease or challenge of working through the plot), but the cumulative effect of the group I've read so far is definitely greater than the sum of the parts. In essence, more is more when it comes to Phryne Fisher.

I noticed that other reviewers varied considerably in their reactions to this par
Linda
It's Christmas time in Melbourne and Phryne is busy preparing for a family holiday and has nearly decided to forgo an invitation to Werribee Manor House for a elaborate Last Best party of 1928. However, when threats arrive warning Phryne to decline the invitation she decides to do just the opposite. Over the course of the party it becomes clear that sinister forces are at work when two young children disappear, food is poisoned and a scary scavenger hunt promises more to fear. All the while a se ...more
Élisabeth
Although I've enjoyed all the books in the Phryne Fisher series so far, I have mixed feelings about this one.

I did like how the mysteries unfolded, but the story seemed too full of random hedonism that although trying to make a point about some of the characters, it ended up being really boring and I read as fast as I could through it. Lots of poem reading and songs. Polo matches. Weird orgies.
The mysteries were interesting and I'd say some of the best in the series, but the ending was a little
Vivienne
This proved another delightful tale in this sparkling series of mysteries. I was amused that Kerry Greenwood in her closing remarks felt she needed to advise her readers that all the drugs mentioned in the text were perfectly legal at the time the novel was set.

There were plenty of funny scenes including the cream-stealing antics of Phryne's cat Ember, some delightful polo ponies and the cheeky goat Minty. The party allowed for Phryne to have even more wardrobe changes than usual and it was ove
Sally
Murder in the Dark takes place at the impressive and opulent Werribee Mansion, at a near week long party held by two extremely decadent and charismatic siblings in the process or rapidly spending their way through the family fortune.

(Though described during the era it was owned by the Catholic church and whitewashed inside, anyone interested in the mansion itself should be pleased that it's now been restored to its former glory and is open to the public.)

It's a fascinating setting with extreme c
Damaskcat
Phryne Fisher has been invited to the Last best Party of 1928 which involves staying for a few days at a country house. Her lover Lin Chung does not want her to go but when someone starts sending her threats to try and stop her attending the party she makes up her mind to go anyway - even though she had been in two minds about it. Gerald, one of her hosts, is being threatened and Phryne is asked to try and find out who is behind the threats.

I thought this was a really good mystery story with ple
Abbey
#16 Phryne Fisher, Investigator, Melbourne, late 1928; satiric thriller, classic-style. Phryne loves solving mysteries. Phryne also loves parties, and when she receives not only an invitation to The Last, Best Party of 1928 but also a warning letter to stay away, she feels her holiday season is complete. Starting a little after Christmas and lasting through New Years’ Day, this shindig promises to be THE blow-out of all parties, as the Templar twins not only have a reputation for bad behavior an ...more
Barbara
Not among my favorites in this series, but not bad either. Phyrne is invited to a lavish house party that will take place between Xmas and New Year's Day. She's not sure if she will go until she starts getting threats(including a very deadly snake wrapped up like a Xmas present!). Well, that does--now she must go.
The house party guest include a number of people whom Phyrne knew in her Paris days, some locals, some bullies and a mysterious assassin. There are two children kidnapped and a mysterio
Shonna Froebel
This is the third mystery featuring Phryne [pronounced fry-knee] Fisher that I have read, but the 16th in the series. The first is Cocaine Blues, and I have also read the 14th, Queen of the Flowers. This book occurs at the end of 1928 near Melbourne, when Phryne is invited to a party billed as the Last Best Party. Even before she accepts the invitation to the party, she gets warned off, but of course that only makes her determined to go. An attempt is made on her life, which intrigues her furthe ...more
Marianne
Murder in the Dark is the sixteenth book in the popular Phryne Fisher series by Australian author Kerry Greenwood. It is the end of the year, and Phryne, somewhat reluctantly, accepts an invitation to attend the Last Best Party of 1928, spurred on to do so when several anonymous communications warn her against it. Held at Werribee in the Chirnside Manor, this six-day party is being thrown by the beautiful and charismatic Gerald Templar and his equally beautiful twin sister, Isabella, lately arri ...more
Hope
Phryne and the Random Hedonists could be the subtitle of this one. Still, I liked it and was surprised by the identity of the various culprits. As far as the hedonism goes, I think Greenwood deserves credit for conveying what we all secretly know: it's really only fun for the participant, not the onlooker. I would have considered Gerald and Isabella Templar totally unconvincing had I not read about the strangely sordid lives of Harry and Caresse Crosby in Lucy Moore's nonfiction book on the 1920 ...more
Frogqueen
Phryne launches on a weekend marked by attempted murder and wild excess as trouble follows old acquaintance from Paris. Most of the standing characters get a look-in, pretty much as fan service, but the bulk of the story involves Phryne on her own, discovering herself to have become a grown-up amidst a swarm of bright young things of all ages. The pacing a little odd at times, and the solutions a shade Scooby Doo, but if it's not the best book in the series, it's still good fun.
Skyring
Perhaps a little more unusual and implausible than most of the Phryne Fisher mysteries, this one still showcases our delectable detective, front and centre.

An exotic and erotic milieu - in Werribee - has Phryne fitting in well in a series of kidnappings, threats, and murder. The Geebung Polo Club is trotted out, as is Verlaine, the Rubiayat of Omar Khayam, not to mention Abdul, the Bul-bul Emir. Truly a feast!

Food features highly in this book, not to mention drink. One wonders how our trim heroi
Sally
This is really more of a 3 1/2 book which means I enjoyed it muchly. I listened to the audio version during a week of dog-walkings. I have read the earlier books in the series, and this is one of my favourites. Any long series tends to get a bit bogged down with back-story, and extra characters who have to be accounted for. This book sorts that out nicely by introducing the Fisher household then removing Phryne to a new venue. Dot and Mr Butler visit daily, but aside from that and from small sce ...more
Sheila Beaumont
Murder in the Dark is another terrific mystery in Kerry Greenwood's Australian series starring the irrepressible amateur sleuth Phryne Fisher. In this one, Phryne goes to an extravagant celebration between Christmas and New Year's, billed as the Last Best party of 1928, where she must thwart the plans of a professional assassin, who calls himself the Joker and who has targeted one of the party's hosts. Lots of eccentric characters, exciting suspense, cryptic clues, a vivid Melbourne setting, and ...more
Danielle
What was intriguing about this book was that it is set in the 1920s and in Australia. The main character Phryne Fisher is unique in her freedom and views of life. She is basically a good person who definitely indulges herself, and I found that I liked her.

The author did allow the reader to solve some of her "puzzles"--the killer was a bit obscure, but there were other mysteries that wrapped up nicely.

However, this was not a book that I could easily pick up. I was often bored by it. I didn't lik
Sara
1928 is finally ending, and Phryne is attending the party to end all parties. Complete with polo, jazz, theme nights including costumes and menu, tantric sex, yes, and yes. Oh, and a couple of mysteries to solve!
Harriet
Very satisfying! A thoroughly enjoyable read with most of the usual cast and some new fascinating creatures added. Interesting information about medieval practices and the basics of polo. What more can you ask for?
Anne
Another fun read.

Phryne continues to intrigue and foil. Some of the sexuality is a bit over the top, but that is part of the Phryne character, who overall I really enjoy.
Mary Overgaard
This is one if the best Phryne Fisher Mysteries. So much vivid period and Austrailian detail. Three plots and a rollicking good time. All the books are well researched and delightful but this one was special.
Regina
Audiobook version

Overall I enjoyed this story of Phryne going to the party to end all parties, a different theme every night over several nights of debauchery leading up to the celebration of the New Year. She goes at the bequest of an acquaintance who has been receiving death threats. We have kidnappings, tantric orgies, baudy riddles and poetry, and a slew of characters from Phryne's past in France.

What brought this down is I really do not like the narrator's singing voice. She has a beautifu
Gottfried Neuner
I normally like the Phryne Fisher Mysteries, but this one was one of Greenwood's lesser works. So forgettable indeed that I put it on my to-read list again, because I forgot I already had read it. Imagine my surprise when I started reading and this book seemed familiar. Uncanny.
Phryne is at a party of some decadent cultists she knew in Paris. The party is grand and the whole book seems more focussed to show off how awesome the party is, and forgets about the mystery for large parts of the novel.
Marcia
I found this book boring. I think I like the books better when there are more of the familiar characters in them.
Trava Sanders
Love Phryne-A new Mystery Favorite. What a swinging gal. I would love to see poirot interact with her! lol
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Cat Telling Tales (Joe Grey #17)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Far in the Wilds (A Spear of Summer Grass 0.5)
  • Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #3)
  • Cat in a Vegas Gold Vendetta (Midnight Louie, #23)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

“Ice cream was reliable. Young men were not.” 2 likes
“Narrative has its prerogatives and I am not going to spoil a good story or the fairies may not give me any new ones.” 0 likes