Start by marking “Out Of Space And Time” as Want to Read:
Out Of Space And Time

Out Of Space And Time

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Clark Ashton Smith. Out of Space and Time. Sauk City: Arkham House, 1942. First edition, one of 1,054 copies printed. Octavo. xii, 370 pages. Introduction by August Derleth and Donald Wandrei. Dust jacket by Hannes Bok.
Published 1971 by Neville Spearman (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Out Of Space And Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out Of Space And Time

Roddy Williams

Originally published in paperback edition as Out of Space and Time 1 & 2 in 1974 , these have now been reissued in a single volume by Bison Books who are doing a sterling job of reissuing vintage genre literature.

Out of Space and Time

The End of the Story (Weird Tales – May 1930)
A Rendezvous in Averoigne (Weird Tales – Apr 1931)
A Night in Malneant (Auburn Journal - 1931)
The City of The Singing Flame (Wonder Stories – July 1931)
The Uncharted Isle (Weird Tales – Nov 1930)

Judgments and Dooms

This was the first time I dipped my toes into the work of Clark Ashton Smith and, being a huge Lovecraft fan, I can say that I was not disappointed! It's winter right now in Australia, and the past couple weeks I've hurried home from work, shaking the rain off my back before putting the kettle on. Each evening I've settled in by the fireplace with a nice hot mug of tea, my cat purring nearby and rain belting violently on the windows while I settle in to absorb these spooky tales. It's the perfec ...more
So after finishing the Klarkashton cycle I decided I was still in the mood for scary stories so decided to read this volume next. I have to say I think I definitely preferred it. The first few stories were totally brilliant. They were the set in a mythical middle ages where creatures of myth and legend, lamias and vampires roamed the woods, most likely wanting to devour you, possibly just wanting to have sex with you. It was a really good blend of mystery, horror and legends. I have to say I thi ...more
Nancy Oakes
A very creepy book of stories filled with vampires, hidden planes of existence, secret arcane and occult ceremonies and eerie fantasy. Who could possibly want more? There are 10 stories in this book, divided into 2 categories: out of space and time (stories of spatial and temporal dislocation) and judgments and dooms (stories where evil catches up to those who shouldn't have meddled where they did). Each and every one of these stories was effectively creepy and there was definitely never a momen ...more
(NB: I read both of the Bison Frontiers of Imagination / U. of Nebraska Press editions of Lost Worlds and Out of Space and Time at the same time, so this review will cover both.)

While most or all of the Clark Ashton Smith opus is now available free online, this was my first reading of stories from this author considered one of the "big three" writers for the pulp magazine Weird Tales, and while not all of the writing is great, some of it is quite beautiful and haunting.

Smith is at his best when
Clark Ashton Smith is a pleasure to read, once you get into his style of writing. His stories are filled with a dark weirdness of the old-fashioned kind, like H.P. Lovecraft.

Each of the short stories seem to start off a bit stilted. The barrage of words seems silly on the surface, but CAS never seem to falter with it. He keeps to it till the end of every story without ever running out of his own primordial gas.

It turns into an ecstasic experience. You get lost in a deep, weird atmosphere; you g
Christopher Riley
A wonderful and weird collection of tales. Being self-educated, best to read this with a dictionary to hand as, in the same way that Thomas Hardy was largely self-educated, there are plenty of near obsolete words utilised.

Sometimes the descriptions are so florid it can be difficult to keep up with the narrative flow, but this is by no means a negative thing and will no doubt find repeated readings more rewarding. The language in the Hyperborean tales is a little more archaic and I can imagine h
Tony Calder
As with most collections of short stories, this volume has some varying quality, the stand-outs being "The End of the Story", "The Second Interment", and "A Night in Malneant".

Smith was a close contemporary of Lovecraft, and contributed several books to the Mythos, but this collection is not a Mythos collection, but would still be classed as a collection of "eldritch horror" stories. However, whilst arguably a better wordsmith than Lovecraft, I find that Smith does not capture the reader to the
The very first story -from Smith's Averoigne cycle- won my enthusiasm from page 1: lone rider, storm coming, knocking on an abbey's door for shelter, great library, hidden books... The archtype of Gothic fiction.
Robert Brokenmouth
Brilliant. Read it. Haven't read this since about 12 y.o. - this man is incomparable.
More like 3.5 but rounding up. Some good stuff here, as well as some not-as-good.
Good stuff, but a little goes a long way
David marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Zare marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Theo is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Doppleganger marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
A.p. marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Keir LaFon
Keir LaFon marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Preston Fordstrom
Preston Fordstrom marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Annalisa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Bryan Chambers
Bryan Chambers marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
  • The Collected Writings Of Ambrose Bierce
  • Who Fears The Devil
  • Secret Life
  • In a Lonely Place
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • The Pet
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • The Arabian Nightmare
  • Demons By Daylight
  • The Haunter of the Dark and Other Grotesque Visions
  • The Wandering Jew
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Clark Ashton Smith was a poet, sculptor, painter and author of fantasy, horror and science fiction short stories. It is for these stories, and his literary friendship with H. P. Lovecraft from 1922 until Lovecraft's death in 1937, that he is mainly remembered today. With Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, also a friend and correspondent, Smith remains one of the most famous contributors to the pulp m ...more
More about Clark Ashton Smith...
A Rendezvous in Averoigne The Emperor of Dreams Zothique The End of the Story The Return Of The Sorcerer: The Best Of Clark Ashton Smith