Start by marking “The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass 0.1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  20,791 Ratings  ·  1,321 Reviews
A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to righ
Published January 13th 2012 by Bloomsbury Children’s

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, please sign up.

Lauren - SERIESous Books You don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting…moreYou don't have to, though it provides insight into Celaena's character. She's quite jaded in Throne of Glass and some people find that off putting because they don't know her backstory. I found that reading the novellas first let me understand Celaena's outlook on life and her personality, allowing me to enjoy Throne of Glass a lot more since I wasn't becoming frustrated with her nonchalant attitude. (less)

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I didn't expect to like this novella because I was a little bored in the beginning but it improved significantly in the end.

After reading Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows, it was refreshing to finally see THE Celaena Sardothian that I came to love from the very beginning. Not a huge Aelin fan, so it's great seeing Celaena again.

We also finally get to meet Sam Cortland, and my goodness I'm already in love with him. I already know what's coming by the end of The Assassin's Blade but I can't help
Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 Pearl Angeli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
What an incredible start of The Assassin’s Blade!

This novella made me admire the notorious assassin Celaena Sardothien more. Her character here is far more well-developed compared to her character in Throne of Glass. In this novella, her bad-assery can easily be perceived. She’s braver, more dangerous, and a lot more ferocious than I’ve ever thought. Sarah J. Maas has really given us a firecracker of a female main character!

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the first novella of The Assassin’s
P
Jan 30, 2017 P rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord features Celaena Sardothien and Sam the Notoriously Handsome. Can I call him that ? Haha.They're both assassins working for Arobynn Hamel. Frankly, the book bored me at first, then boom, the chemistry clicked and the pace was amazing I couldn't put it down for an hour.

The story happens before Throne of Glass, but I suggest you should read ToG first to fully enjoy the worldbuilding and some details that Maas didn't thoroughly explain in this novella, about slave t
Wren | WrensReads
The Assassin's Blade
Throne of Glass
: #0.1 | #0.2 | #0.3 | #0.4 | #0.5

*LINKS to EACH NOVELLA are there ^

Finally I am getting around to reading the adventures of my dear Celaena Sardothien. LOWKEY, I kind of love the assassin more than the queen, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the queen.

I wanted to read it before I read Empire of Storms BUT I kind of got distracted with other books that were coming out around the same time. I am not a huge fan of novellas, but I do know that some of the
Melanie
#1.) Throne of Glass ★★★
#2.) Crown of Midnight ★★★★
#3.) Heir of Fire ★★
#4.) Queen of Shadows ★★

This first novella had so much potential. I would have given the premise of this story a solid five stars. I mean, Sam and Celaena working with pirates to discover what happened to three of their fellow assass
Nelou Keramati
Nov 11, 2016 Nelou Keramati rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 :)

I have not read the Throne of Glass series, but I enjoyed Ms. Maas's 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' and wanted a quick read, so I picked up this novella.

I have tried not to mention any specific plot-points, but if you have not read this novella and would like to go into it completely blind, then there might be some spoilers ahead. So please read at your own discretion. :)

Characters:

I found it very difficult to appreciate the protagonist, Calaena. I tried very hard to understa
Sean
Feb 23, 2016 Sean rated it really liked it
4.5. This was a great novella to kick off the prequel bindup.
Sky
Sep 04, 2015 Sky rated it liked it
For an assassin, Celeana sure didn't lose her morals. Killing is a fast end. Slavery is endless torture. She couldn't stand by and and watch her master destroy lives, so she had to interfere.

I loved the first scene where she did what no one could, and I kept thinking "SLAY SLAY SLAY". Celeana's character sure is refreshing, although I'd prefer a little less time people talking about her beauty and more time her kicking ass.

Although Sam annoyed me in the beginning with his whining he kinda grew
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3 stars

I admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted. I decided to try the first novella because of all the hype with the series so I expected much more than I got. I will continue the series at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

My main issue was with the heroine. I found her way too arrogant, spoiled and self-righteous. How can a 16 year-old girl believe that she is so much better than other people with twice her age and training? Maybe my issue is that the book i
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THIS ONE! I WISH SAM WAS ACTUALLY IN THE SERIES NOW.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating
Lina Lovegood
Nov 11, 2016 Lina Lovegood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolle Kurzgeschichte um Celaena und Sam, hat mir wirklich sehr gut gefallen!
_racheljane_
Jan 19, 2017 _racheljane_ rated it really liked it
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord wasn't my first glimpse into the world of Throne of Glass that author Sarah J. Maas has created. I fell in love with Celaena’s character immediately. I loved that she was this ruthless assassin who didn’t care what anyone thought. To be honest I wasn’t sure what I thought of Sam at first. It took me a little while to warm up to him.

I liked the setting of this novella a lot. I have always had a fascination with pirates. From Blackbeard to Jack Sparrow, I have alwa
Erika
Apr 02, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA genre and adventure books.
I had waited quite a long time to read a good story about an assassin heroine. Sarah J. Mass certainly didn't disappoint me.
“Why?” Sam stepped close enough that she needed to tilt her head back to see his face. “We’re assassins. We kill people. We destroy lives every day.”

“We have a choice,” she breathed.

The assassin is Celaena Sardothien, a sixteen years old teenage girl. Her age was the only thing that cute about her. Celaena is the best assassin that Assassin’s Guild have. She's beautiful
Chantal
Jan 24, 2016 Chantal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amo Sam anche se avendo già letto TOG so cosa accadrà T.T
Kim
Feb 14, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
So I remember vaguely remember reading Queen of Glass (now Throne of Glass) on fictionpress years ago, like when I was in high school, and I remembered being extremely impressed with the idea of Cinderella as an assassin. I only read the first part of the story, so I can only give my opinion of the first part. The story and idea was wonderful and creative, but the writing definitely needed some improvement.

I was rather excited for this novella because I was interested in the story, but I also h
Jasmine [Semi-hiatus]
**Re-read on September 22nd-23rd, 2015:
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
I personally think the novella wasn't as good as the first three books from the series. Celaena Sardothien was 16 years old in this book and at that time, Sam Cortland was still alive, but I couldn't tolerate her gargantuan arrogance at all! Although I did better understand the story plot after reading the sequels first this time, her impossibly terrible attitude was the most dislike part for me.
“One day,” Rolfe said, too quietly
Brooklyn Tayla
I've read this novella now what? Four times? I love it every bit as my first read. I'm hopeless for Sam. I still ship him and Celaena. I always will. *flailing*
Lisa
Jun 27, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
After hearing so many positive things (prior to publication) about Throne of Glass, I was expecting a lot from the first prequel, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and boy was I disappointed. I typically have little to say about short stories and novellas—just read my embarrassing attempts at writing a review for the various short-story collections I've read—but there is a lot to say about this one and none of it is positive.

This story was a miss in terms of writing and characterization. The no
Robin (Bridge Four)
Celaena was a little bit of a brat in the beginning. However her drive to protect her friends is still there and you can see that she really is a strong woman even from someone so young.

The cute interactions with Sam are fun. She almost flirts by threatening and it is so her. Even now she has such a strong sense of morality for an assassin and I find that refreshing.

This is a really good look into her beginnings and her relationship with the Assassin Lord.
Kika
Feb 20, 2016 Kika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ako vždy Celaena to zabila! Geniálna hrdinka, neviem sa dočkať ďalších kníh a poviedok! :3
F.J.
Apr 02, 2012 F.J. rated it did not like it
It has been two years since I first read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and encountered Ardalan's greatest assassin Celaena Sardothien. In these two years I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - which turned my opinion about the author and the series around by 180.

If you'd like to take a look at my old review, click on the spoiler. (view spoiler)

Steph Su
Apr 29, 2012 Steph Su rated it it was ok
Shelves: debs12, e-book
Well... I'm glad that there was a novella that I could peruse before deciding whether or not I want to read Throne of Glass later this year. My worst fears for Throne of Glass came true in THE ASSASSIN AND THE PIRATE LORD: that, far from being a YA fantasy worthy of Game of Throne fans' attention, it features amateurish writing, an underdeveloped fantasy world, and an unlikable main character with unexplained motivations.

Let's start with Celaena. Now, I have nothing against assassins as main cha
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
Susan
Jan 20, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Celaena is tough, stubborn, and impulsive--we all know that from THRONE OF GLASS...but she wasn't always AS tough (though she was certainly MORE stubborn and MORE impulsive).

In this novella preceding the events of Sarah J. Maas's famed THRONE OF GLASS, we get to see that young, untried Celaena. Don't get me wrong--when I say "untried", I don't mean "weak". She can still kick your butt (with her hands tied behind her back and her eyes blindfolded), but her edges haven't yet reached the sharp, ven
Amie Kaufman
Jan 21, 2012 Amie Kaufman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I started reading on the train platform heading home from work, and I ended up finishing this novella sitting in my car at the station at the other end of my commute--I couldn't deal with stopping long enough to drive home.

As we follow Celaena into the territory of the Pirate Lord, we end up in the middle of a tale that's part fantasy, part adventure and part Pirates of the Caribbean (with an awesome assassin as our leading lady). I was drawn immediately into the action, and this was a fascinati
Melissa
Mar 17, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
This was such a fun, quick novella. I read the first 3 Throne of Glass books back in January, and I left the novellas to read until now so that the wait for book 4 was more bearable, with these to read half way through. And I really enjoyed this, so much that I just want to jump in and read the rest of the novellas.

It was great to see how Celaena was before the first book. I love her character so much, so to see she was even more badass originally, was super cool. Sam was an interesting charact
Carolina Carriço
Jan 26, 2014 Carolina Carriço rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
First one: *check*

I can't believe I'm finally reading this! The only thing that kept me from reading these stories sooner is the fact that I can't seem to keep my focus while reading short stories. You can ask me why but I'm as clueless as you. But I'm finally diving into Celaena's past. This is getting ridiculous. How can I tell people that Throne of Glass is one of my favorite series ever without reading this?! No more.

I really enjoyed this first story! I'm glad I'm finally getting to know th
Erin Bowman
This is one of four novellas to be published in the coming months, each of which precede the events in ToG. In this novella, a younger (but still stubborn and brave) Celaena is sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect a debt owed by the Pirate Lord. What she finds is a payment not of money, but of slaves, throwing her into a moral dilemma. Though it is a quick and easy read, this novella is packed with action and intrigue. It is impossible to not root for Celaena and her partner-in-crime, Sam. Yo ...more
Miss Book
Dec 26, 2015 Miss Book rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*3.5*
This was very fun and action-packed and I'm glad we finally got to meet Sam!
Valy P.
3 stelle e mezzo
Sam.. *-*
Queen Maas' Assas...: Sam Cortland ~ Character Discussion 101 950 Feb 24, 2017 11:10PM
Queen Maas' Assas...: * TOG Novellas ~ Discussion 42 261 Dec 09, 2016 12:11AM
Queen Maas' Assas...: TOG Novellas ~ The Assassin and the Pirate Lord 4 77 Oct 02, 2014 09:03PM
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Thistle & Thorne
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Unveiled (Fireblood, #1.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #7)

“He couldn't be dead. Not from the dagger, or those dozen pirates, or from the catapult. No, Sam couldn't be so stupid that he'd get himself killed. She'd... she'd... Well she'd kill him if he was dead.” 85 likes
“Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.” 69 likes