The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass 0.1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  6,736 ratings  ·  608 reviews
A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to righ...more
Published January 13th 2012 by Bloomsbury Children’s

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

Erika
Apr 13, 2012 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA genre and adventure books.
I had waited quite a long time to read a good story about an assassin heroine. Sarah J. Mass certainly didn't disappoint me.
“Why?” Sam stepped close enough that she needed to tilt her head back to see his face. “We’re assassins. We kill people. We destroy lives every day.”

“We have a choice,” she breathed.

The assassin is Celaena Sardothien, a sixteen years old teenage girl. Her age was the only thing that cute about her. Celaena is the best assassin that Assassin’s Guild have. She's beautiful a...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3 stars

I admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I wanted. I decided to try the first novella because of all the hype with the series so I expected much more than I got. I will continue the series at some point but I'm not in the mood for it right now.

My main issue was with the heroine. I found her way too arrogant, spoiled and self-righteous. How can a 16 year-old girl believe that she is so much better than other people with twice her age and training? Maybe my issue is that the book i...more
Kim
So I remember vaguely remember reading Queen of Glass (now Throne of Glass) on fictionpress years ago, like when I was in high school, and I remembered being extremely impressed with the idea of Cinderella as an assassin. I only read the first part of the story, so I can only give my opinion of the first part. The story and idea was wonderful and creative, but the writing definitely needed some improvement.

I was rather excited for this novella because I was interested in the story, but I also h...more
F.J.
It has been two years since I first read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and encountered Ardalan's greatest assassin Celaena Sardothien. In these two years I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - which turned my opinion about the author and the series around by 180.

If you'd like to take a look at my old review, click on the spoiler. (view spoiler)

Robin (Bridge Four)
Celaena was a little bit of a brat in the beginning. However her drive to protect her friends is still there and you can see that she really is a strong woman even from someone so young.

The cute interactions with Sam are fun. She almost flirts by threatening and it is so her. Even now she has such a strong sense of morality for an assassin and I find that refreshing.

This is a really good look into her beginnings and her relationship with the Assassin Lord.
Amie Kaufman
I started reading on the train platform heading home from work, and I ended up finishing this novella sitting in my car at the station at the other end of my commute--I couldn't deal with stopping long enough to drive home.

As we follow Celaena into the territory of the Pirate Lord, we end up in the middle of a tale that's part fantasy, part adventure and part Pirates of the Caribbean (with an awesome assassin as our leading lady). I was drawn immediately into the action, and this was a fascinati...more
Erin Bowman
This is one of four novellas to be published in the coming months, each of which precede the events in ToG. In this novella, a younger (but still stubborn and brave) Celaena is sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect a debt owed by the Pirate Lord. What she finds is a payment not of money, but of slaves, throwing her into a moral dilemma. Though it is a quick and easy read, this novella is packed with action and intrigue. It is impossible to not root for Celaena and her partner-in-crime, Sam. Yo...more
Susan
Celaena is tough, stubborn, and impulsive--we all know that from THRONE OF GLASS...but she wasn't always AS tough (though she was certainly MORE stubborn and MORE impulsive).

In this novella preceding the events of Sarah J. Maas's famed THRONE OF GLASS, we get to see that young, untried Celaena. Don't get me wrong--when I say "untried", I don't mean "weak". She can still kick your butt (with her hands tied behind her back and her eyes blindfolded), but her edges haven't yet reached the sharp, ven...more
Veronica Morfi
This is the first of a series of prequel novellas for the Throne of Glass. In this story we are intoduced to Celaena, a 16 year old assassin. She is the best and most feared assassin of her Guild after her master. In this novella she is send to a remote island to claim something for her master without realizing that what she is there to collect is slaves. With the help of the assassin she despises the most in her Guild, Celaena will try to find a way to free the slaves and get away with it too.

I...more
Margarita
3.5/5 stars

"Sam?"
"Hmm?"
"If you ever tell anyone about me embracing you... I'll gut you."

It's nice to see the Celaena before she was captured.. And I think I'm going to love Sam. And I'm going to get my heart broken. And why do I think I'm sort of not loyal to Chaol? Hmm.
Jean Pearl
OMG!!!!! You didn't disappoint me, Ms. Sarah!!! I've expected so much and I'm so happy that I actually enjoy and love The Assassin and the Pirate Lord!!! Mwah!! I.Love.You! I can't waaaaaiiiittttt for the next novella and of course for your epic and legendary, Queen of Glass, now the Throne of Glass to come out this August!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

ps: ive finally met the formidable, infamous and kick-ass Celaena Sardothien that i kept on hearing about in fictionpress, since a couple of years prior, and...more
Lisa
After hearing so many positive things (prior to publication) about Throne of Glass, I was expecting a lot from the first prequel, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, and boy was I disappointed. I typically have little to say about short stories and novellas—just read my embarrassing attempts at writing a review for the various short-story collections I've read—but there is a lot to say about this one and none of it is positive.

This story was a miss in terms of writing and characterization. The no...more
Steph Su
Well... I'm glad that there was a novella that I could peruse before deciding whether or not I want to read Throne of Glass later this year. My worst fears for Throne of Glass came true in THE ASSASSIN AND THE PIRATE LORD: that, far from being a YA fantasy worthy of Game of Throne fans' attention, it features amateurish writing, an underdeveloped fantasy world, and an unlikable main character with unexplained motivations.

Let's start with Celaena. Now, I have nothing against assassins as main cha...more
This was a good short story in which Celaena takes on a bunch of pirates in an attempt to free 200 slaves. Celaena was smart and feisty, and I liked the way she went out of her way to free people who she believed to be innocent.
Overall; good short story.
7 out of 10
Priscila
Okay so I was really excited to read this book because I really liked the cover of the first book for this series and the comments look interesting.

description

Seriously, really cool cover.

However, the writing was really crappy and the plot was ridiculous.

Then there was this line when she frees the slaves and is asked why she wants to help so bad:
He took a breath. “Why go to so much trouble for slaves?”

“Because if we don’t fight for them, who will?”

description

Holly shit.

I'm sure that was supposed to give me goosebu...more
Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!)
Review originally on Oh, For the Love of Books!

Celaena:
One word: Sassy. And I loved that about her! Not to mention the fact that she's an assassin so she's awesome by default. She was sarcastic and witty. Sure she was a bit high and mighty for my taste but she had that handed to her a couple times and she didn't go overboard. She is good, no doubt about it, and while she could sometimes be a bit cocky, at least she had a right to be. But she didn't always let it go to her head. She knew she was...more
Ferdy
The King of Assassins sends Celaena and Sam, two of his best protegees, to meet the Pirate Lord and get retribution for the death of three of his assassins after they were killed by pirates.
This is the first of four novellas, it introduces readers to protagonist, Celaena and gives some insight into Cealena's life before the events that occur in Throne of Glass.
I didn't really like Celaene, she was far too arrogant and instead of being clever and holding her tongue she just goaded people for no...more
Heidi
May 29, 2012 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those waiting on Throne of Glass.
3.5 stars.

Like many of you, I have been incredibly excited about the upcoming Throne of Glass. I know some of you have already read and loved it, but I, in true masochistic fashion, am forcing myself to hold off. Why? Well friends, if there’s something that will override temptation for me, it’s O.C.D., and part of my book O.C.D. involves reading things in order. That’s where these lovely novellas come in. I love getting the chance at a sneak peak into this series. I like the idea that I’ll know...more
D.Kana
Read full review here: http://everafterperspective.wordpress...

First of all, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas is not even a complete novel. It’s a novella, the first of I believe four (maybe?) before the big release of Maas’s first novel, Throne of Glass. The Assassin and The Pirate Lord was an excellent read –making me super excited for the big debut later this year. S.J Maas is an excellent writer. I’ve always loved her writing ever since I read her story on fictionpress. It’s...more
Amy
That was definitely an enjoyable read. In just a few short chapters, Sarah J. Maas succeeded in letting us readers who have never read QueenThrone of Glass back in its Fictionpress days come to understand Celaena with all her formidable strengths and her many glaring faults. The two star rating does not in any way mean that I disliked the story—no love or hate here, just a kind of non-feeling state of mind resulted when I finished. It was truly just "okay"—although I definitely got a Pirates of...more
Nikki
When I saw the novellas on sale leading up to the publication of the novel Throne of Glass, I thought I'd buy it and see what I thought. It's a competent enough little adventure story, but all of it is done with a broad brush and I found it rather obvious. I'm already having trouble thinking of the main female character's name -- Calaena -- and I can't help but think of Scott Lynch's Sabetha as I read about her, somehow...

I don't think it particularly stands out from the crowd, and I don't think...more
Katy
At first, I was a little disappointed because I felt a lot of it just glossed over just how awesome Celaena was, and I remember thinking if I had read this novella first, I don't know if I would read the book or not. But the second part of it was just full of action and really showed just how badass she can be. Of course, I'm already psyched about this series because I liked the first one so much. Can't wait for the next installment.
Booknut
Too good for words - more of Celaena's arrogant swagger and lightening-fast assassin reflexes, this novella is sure to have you begging for more!
Lilyan
Oh god. Sam. It hurts. I know you're going to die and but i already like you. my heart hurts
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
I want more Sam!!!!
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is one of four (not sure if there will be more) short stories Sarah J. Maas offers her readers of a glimpse into Celaena Sardothien’s life as the kingdom’s greatest assassin .

I’m going to keep this short and simple.

AWESOME BOOK. READ IT!

The end.

... just kidding!

Let me elaborate.

This is one of the few short stories that actually make most of those 500plus-paged books promising action, adventure and romance look like crap! I’m not going to mention which... *coug...more
Franci Karou Cat
Recensione completa qui: http://leggendariamente.blogspot.it/2...

Dire che questo piccolo racconto mi abbia conquistata è dire poco! Si tratta di un fantasy ambientato in una terra immensa , variegata, costituita da diversi popoli, culture e realtà. Quella di Celeana Sardothien è una delle più pericolose, perchè lei appartiene alla gilda degli Assassini. E' la più temibile e anche la più brava, nonostante la giovane età. Infatti, a sedici anni rischia di non essere abbastanza credibile come assas...more
❥ Azzurra
Questo racconto dona interessanti spunti sul personaggio di Celaena, giovanissima assassina e futura "regina" della Gilda degli Assassini.
L'avventura di questo primo racconto porta lei e Sam, suo compagno d'infanzia e di lavoro...e antagonista perpetuo... presso il covo dei pirati per un accordo commerciale che vede l'acquisto di una nave di schiavi.
Ma Celaena, ignara in un primo tempo della trattativa, decide altrimenti rispetto l'accordo preso dal suo mentore con il re dei pirati e mette in m...more
Tia ~ I like all gummy bears, I'm not racist ~
I liked learning about Sam :D And I absolutely loved the whole love/hate relationship between him and Cellie. It was funny considering they come to love each other more than anything. I love when relationships start out with them hating each other. More tension that way ^^
Ann
Ah, I was a bit thrown off when I saw that the novella was available earlier than originally planned but then was immediately off to buy it and devoured it in one sitting.

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord was fun, fast-paced and action-packed. I cannot wait for Celaena's new adventure and what the consequences will be for her!

(view spoiler)...more
Throne of Glass F...: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord 3 27 Jul 20, 2014 06:11AM
Throne of Glass F...: The Prequels 15 78 Jul 17, 2014 11:33PM
Throne of Glass F...: Sam Cortland 27 224 Feb 17, 2014 03:17PM
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • Ice Study (Study, #3.6)
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Blood Storm (Lharmell, #2)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Heir of Fire, Book 3, will be out in September 2014). Starting in Spring 2015, her New Adult Fantasy series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, will be published by Bloomsbury as well.

Sarah lives in Southern California, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and...more
More about Sarah J. Maas...
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3) The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4) The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)

“He couldn't be dead. Not from the dagger, or those dozen pirates, or from the catapult. No, Sam couldn't be so stupid that he'd get himself killed. She'd... she'd... Well she'd kill him if he was dead.” 44 likes
“Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.” 38 likes