Start by marking “Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed” as Want to Read:
Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed

Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A practical, inspirational, revolutionary guide to social innovation

Many of us have a deep desire to make the world around us a better place. But often our good intentions are undermined by the fear that we are so insignificant in the big scheme of things that nothing we can do will actually help feed the world’s hungry, fix the damage of a Hurricane Katrina or even get a
Published August 7th 2007 by Vintage Canada (first published September 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to Maybe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting to Maybe

Leslie
The moment you quote Mary Oliver's poem "Wild Geese" and try to act like it's about the momentum of social movements is the moment I stop reading your book and throw it at the bleeping wall.

(This was the last straw of many egregious assaults on poetry.)

(Besides that, I found it trite, redundant, and criminally simplistic.)
Peter
Many uplifting stories here and much encouragement. Boiled down to less than the sum of its parts the message is this: Social change is hard, but the need for it never ends, so keep trying because change comes from the oddest places, and every helpful action, no matter how small, pushes in a positive direction. If enough snowflakes fall on a branch, it will bend and eventually break (or, not mentioned, the snowflakes will all slide off …).

About reading the origin story of micro lending in Bangla
Drick
This may be one of the most enlightening books on social change I have read in a long time. The authors are long time activists and students of what they call "social innovation" which they describe in numerous ways are efforts to bring about significant transformation in commonly established practices. In the preface it says: "this book is for flawed people.... who are not happy with the way things are and would like to make a difference". The preface begins by describing former Czech president ...more
Yuting
A good companion book to books and reading material on systems theory and complexity theory. Lots of cases sited and examples which can be useful real world references.

You will not learn systems theory or complexity theory by reading this book. It is more about how those theories are used in real world situations.
Clivemichael
Inspiring discussion of social change as force for transformation. I recommend this for all social innovators, visionaries and anyone interested in creating or transitioning change in the world today. Well presented, written and articulated with numerous appropriate examples to encourage and inspire passionate engagement where ever one has juice.
from the notes "While traditional evaluation judges mistakes and unattained objectives as failures, developmental evaluation treats them as learning op
Gifty
I would recommend this book to anybody who has ever wondered why things have to be the way they are and what they can do to make it better. I really enjoyed this book because it wasn't one that sells you false hope about your personal ability to change the world, but rather it provides guidelines an
Niral
With the emphasis on complexity science, parts of this book reminded me of Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise. There are nuggets of wisdom in this book that I found useful, especially that it's useful to reflect on the underlying "rules" of a given system that give rise to the nature of the phenomena within that system. Other design principles cited are not particularly new, but that doesn't mean that they aren't useful. That said, there's a lot of fluff in this book, and I found that I was ...more
Philippe
Yet another take on managing change in a complex world, this time from the vantage point of social entrepreneurs and activists. Complexity theory serves as a (metaphorical) background to illuminate and deepen concepts. The book is littered with case studies, the vast majority of them from a North American realm. There are some interesting bits on 'developmental evaluation', a theme that is elaborated in much more detail in Michael Quinn Patton's eponymous book. I'd give it 3,5 stars.
Peg
A bit longer than it needed to be, but lots of wonderful examples of how people bring about change by using not-the-usual tactics in highly complex situations where linear, strategic planning just doesn't work. Really enjoyed it, lots of good things to think about.
Udai
I think this book would be a lot more valuable for someone who is actually trying to take an innovative non-profit idea off the ground. Otherwise, it presents a lot of interesting ideas in a very lose framework, and I found most of it difficult to retain.
Lana
People who feel called to change their little piece of the world are always inspiring to me! This book is filled with ideas of things that others can do to help in service to their communities.
Dana
Bits and pieces of inspiration for the community organizer, non-profit crowd. But structure is poor and the examples become unnecessary after awhile. Would have made a better essay than book.
Kara
This was ok, ultimately not as empowering or helpful as I hoped. An easy intro to complexity theory and dealing with complex problems for those not familiar with the field.
Cathy
I really liked this book. Very well written, easy to understand and applicable. Inspirational and very, very helpful! Love it! Would recommend that everyone read it.
Romaniagirl
One of my all time favorite nonfiction books, I've read it several times. It speaks to my line of work and I find it quite inspirational.
Murf
This is one of my favorite all time "pop psych" books. I think about it all the time - also a fabulous introduction to chaos theory.
Joe
Interesting, but only relevant if you're a philanthropist or leading a social welfare non-profit.
April Doner
May 20, 2008 April Doner rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone i know
rocking my world. deep and sharp and gentle and inspiring.
no time to elaborate.
Kmgarvey
Kmgarvey marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Juniper
Juniper marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Peter Blake
Peter Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Catchmyvibes
Catchmyvibes marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Jul 28, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate
  • Qualitative Research & Evaluation Methods
  • Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World
  • Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail
  • The Rebirth of Nature: The Greening of Science and God
  • Cities and the Wealth of Nations
  • Not All of Us Are Saints: A Doctor's Journey with the Poor
  • Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement
  • The Reenchantment of the World
  • Whose Reality Counts?: Putting the First Last
  • Leading So People Will Follow
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
Dare Ga Sekai O Kaeru Noka: Sōsharu Inobēshon Wa Kokokara Hajimaru The Complex Forms of the Religious Life: A Durkheimian View of New Religious Movements Experiments in Consilience: Integrating Social And Scientific Responses To Save Endangered Species Getting to Maybe: How the World Is Changed