Start by marking “Królowa Magii” as Want to Read:
Królowa Magii

Królowa Magii (The Belgariad #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  51,637 Ratings  ·  763 Reviews
Wspaniała epicka opowieść, rozgrywająca się na tle siedmiu tysięcy lat historii walk bogów, królów i ludzi... o niezwykłych krainach i wydarzeniach... o losie i proroctwie, które musi się wypełnić.
W legendach przetrwała opowieść o tym, jak zły bóg Torak pożądał mocy Klejnotu Aldura i jak został pokonany w ostatecznej bitwie.
Ale proroctwo mówi o czasie, kiedy Torak się zbud
Published 2000 (first published October 12th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Królowa Magii, please sign up.

Joe One reason why having libraries own the cassette or CD version is smart. Does the term eBook really apply if such a thing can vanish? I believe that…moreOne reason why having libraries own the cassette or CD version is smart. Does the term eBook really apply if such a thing can vanish? I believe that it's likely that Gary's comment is a bit conspiracy theory-y. Maybe someone from a public library could check in the Recorded Books catalog to see if it's still in print. Also, one might try borrowing it through Audible from one's public library. Looking at amazon U$ today, August 2016, I see that the David Edding books are available. I believe that amazon has purchased audible. I don't think these eBooks "be not".(less)

Christina
Aug 21, 2011 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Ruth Warner
Shelves: 2011, library
For the first half of this book, I was slightly bored and felt that it was an echo of the first one ("they travel, run into enemies and Silk does business, get away, travel, run into enemies and Silk does business, get away..."). I wasn't sure that I would continue reading the series after this book because I thought the book was "just okay." However, something changed about halfway or more into the book and now I look forward to reading the next one. The routine pattern finally changed and the ...more
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this reread. Wonderfully fun story that expands the characters of the first book in a masterful way. They're caricatures, but good ones & Eddings doesn't take them too seriously. There's a ragged old sorcerer who gives orders to the drunken king through a pirate, money-grubbing spies, & knights so noble & brainless that they kill each other in droves for reasons they can't recall. I like the humor & the tragedies. This is a simple epic story. No high falutin lang ...more
Sarah Anne
Nov 03, 2016 Sarah Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books 1 and 2 really should have been published as one volume. This is the one where their companions are almost complete and we get a lot more info about what exactly is going on. I've always loved the characters in this series :)
Suzanne
Apr 06, 2017 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, wobble, uno2017
This was my "gateway" fantasy series, and while I have happily read hundreds of fantasy books since, the Belgariad will always have a special place in my heart.
Amanda
Aug 05, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really really like the David Eddings books, and they were where I properly started out reading in the fantasy genre, back when I was thirteen or so. I adore them and have read them time and again. However, Queen of Sorcery is far from the strongest entry in the Belgariad, and this time during my re-read it was very hard to prevent myself seeing the many faults. I still love the whole series, but struggle with this particular book.

One problem I have is the character of Garion. With all the (man
Jane Jago
Feb 11, 2017 Jane Jago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going to review the whole series as one...
Stephen
4.0 stars. Good sequel to Pawn of Prophecy. I find myself liking the supporting cast more than the main character, but this is still a fun read.
Wanda
The second installment of the Belgariad—and although this world certainly has some commonalities with Tolkien’s Middle Earth, there are many distinctions as well. Yes, there is a company of travellers on a quest for a powerful jewel, but they are not nearly as noble as LOTR characters. Can you imagine Gandalf getting drunk and having a hangover on the morning of an early departure? Belgarath does. How about producing sweets to attract Dryads to him and stating that Dryads will do almost anything ...more
Andrea
Apr 13, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an improvement over the first book. While the structure of this installment is rather similar (go to this place, expose some political plot, get on the road, run into trouble, repeat), the action is much more exciting, and how should I put it - magical! Finally Eddings realized that there is more to fantasy novel than just characters that can do magic. There is more interesting lore weaved into the plot, an exciting minor villain is introduced, and some questions about Garion's powers are ...more
H
Mar 01, 2009 H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fun continues. I only have two complaints with the series, really. 1. The emotions are pretty nonexistent. Like, Eddings mentions how someone feels, but he only mentions it once, so I forget about how characters are feeling a lot. Like I remember at one point in this book it mentioned Garion feeling consumed with hatred for his parents' murderer, and I was like, "Really? Oh yeah." And 2. Garion is really, really, really oblivious. Maybe I'm just thinking so because I knew who he really is fr ...more
Mindy Reads
Oct 23, 2013 Mindy Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I really was excited to jump back into the Belgariad series and I was not disappointed. At the very beginning of Queen of Sorcery you are reminded of how young and naive Gairon still is and during the course of this book you start to finally see him start to grow up a little, a though not fully. I'm betting this series will be a great journey in order for Gairon to grow up and discover his power. This book was a little slower in the middle than Pawn of Prophecy, but it picked back up an ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fantasy, wobble
Garion and his companions continue on their quest for the orb and pick up a Mimbrate Knight and an Imperial Princess. They continue to advise the kings of the areas they pass through and avoid the Murgos. This story ends with a confrontation with Salmissra.

Garion starts to realize he is special and has trouble coming to terms with it and what he did to Chamdar. He just wants to be an ordinary boy and isn't going to get his wish.
Penny Taylor-jones
These sets of books are my best friends. I have been reading them since I was 15 years old and when I want some comfort I can loose myself in another world, following the adventures and the discoveries that Reveal who Garion truly is.
Paul
Queen of Sorcery is a step up from Pawn of Prophecy in The Belgariad but the story is more concerned about telling each individual kingdom's story more than telling a compelling overall narrative. As much as I like fantasy that requires a band of adventurers to travel to different places, the group in The Belgariad seems to keep getting side tracked on the way. Their goal is to stop a thief with a powerful stone from reaching his home territory but the group of adventurers keeps finding themselv ...more
Mollie Clarke
Jan 12, 2014 Mollie Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While thinking of what I would write for a review of this book, I realised that whatever I wrote wouldn't do it justice. The adventures of Garion are continued in this book, with him exploring many new lands and hinting at what is too become of everyone in terms of the prophecy. Its rare that a book, genuinely engages me for long periods of time but this book has certainly done so, I could quite happily spend all day ready this book.
David Sarkies
Jun 22, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody really
Recommended to David by: My Auntie
Shelves: fantasy
I can think of much better prophecies
22 June 2012

Maybe I should have discussed idea of prophecy under Pawn of Prophecy because the title of that book seems to be more conducive to that discussion than this book, however I wanted my review of the Pawn of Prophecy to be a bit of an introduction to the series as a whole rather than focusing on something specific. I note that the first review here indicates that the first part of the book seems to be a series of 'meet the enemy, escape, Silk does s
Nicolo Yu
Sep 29, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Queen of Sorcery continues the Belgariad of David Eddings with this volume, the second of the series. It picks where the first book, Pawn of Prophecy ended, with the group journeying to the southern kingdoms on the trail of the thief of the most important artifact of their world.

The cast here increases as the group travels more characters join them, apparently in fulfillment of the prophecy that is one of the themes of the Belgariad that spans the series. Eddings continues to develop his charact
Jesse
Mar 02, 2014 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm really enjoying rereading this series. This was one of the first fantasy series I had ever read, and it paved the way for a long life of love for the genre. These books are a lot of fun.

I do have to say, for adult readers, I can see how these books could be a bit grulling. For one thing, the plot is cliche. Farm boy is proficised to save the world from a great and growing evil. But first, he has to travel and learn from a group of awesome companions. I'm sure this sounds familiar.

But the plo
Jak
Oct 04, 2009 Jak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Endings was my first foray into High Fantasy which would probably explain why none of the clichés riled me. I’ve now read plenty of stories about nameless orphans etc who turn out to be the missing bloodline to the throne who then go on to battle unimaginable (except that of many a fantasy writer) evil to save the world.

Personally I absolutely loved the Belgariad series of books and found them to be enthralling and exciting. In particular I loved the characters and thought them to be some of th
Amber
Jan 02, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book really took the series to another level. The first book, Pawn of Prophecy, was good, though predictable and at time childish in my opinion. Queen of Sorcery took you deeper into the magic of the world and gave you more insight into the characters. You also start to get subplots in this novel. The first novel really seemed to have a singular plot that wasn't really clear until half way through the novel, where as this book stays true to that plot, but expands into other side a ...more
Jack Iles
Nov 02, 2013 Jack Iles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Eddings had such a rich imagination. This instalment of arguably his greatest work is effortlessly captivating. It takes the reader into a completely alien world. A world packed with snake people, restless gods and children of the forest. I wish I had read this as a child, because it really is one of those stories that will stay with you forever. To compare an author to J.K. Rowling or J.R.R Tolkien is a very dangerous thing to do. But David Eddings belongs firmly up there as one of the gr ...more
Indika De Silva
Mar 10, 2013 Indika De Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the Belgariad series has much more magic, character development and adventure when compared with the first novel.

Several more interesting characters are introduced in this book and they are quite refreshing and amusing. The author has created wonderful dialogues and interactions between the main characters in such enjoyable fashion. Therefore the reader feels closely related them.

In my honest opinion; this book is a well written sequel. However I would rather spend less time w
Hannah
Jun 14, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Just as good as Pawn of Prophecy; draws you in and makes it impossible for you to tear your eyes away with the amount of action and surprises it has in store. The existing characters all grow on you, one by one, and it is particularly nice to watch the growth of the main character and the appearance of new ones.
C.E. Murphy
Jan 23, 2013 C.E. Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing like re-reading old favorites and finding out they still hold up. QUEEN OF SORCERY made me laugh out loud more than once, and honestly, I'm astonished at the depth of description in these books--I didn't remember the scenery at all, but the descriptions are really quite beautiful.

And I still love Silk. <3 :)
Alan Warenski
Instead of traveling to like 5 places, this book they travel to like 8! That many more cities to blend in to my head and not be remembered. My rating is a 2.5 for this one because a few more exciting things happen in this book.
Rebecca
Another fun read. I love Garion being a confused and angsty teenage boy. Silk being referred to as a "bad man" in a complimentary manner does get a bit tiresome after the third time however. Overall of course I still love them and I look forward to re-reading the next one!
Sandra
May 18, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, 2.5 stars.
That means it was slightly better than the first one.
But still few things happened.
Christopher
Dec 12, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come! :D
Katarina Vujicic
Feb 09, 2015 Katarina Vujicic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
3.5
Maria
Jul 03, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this series....it's a fun story.
The Nerd Herd: Queen of Sorcery 1 6 Feb 22, 2014 01:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Publication date error 3 150 Jul 02, 2013 07:10PM
  • The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Split Infinity  (Apprentice Adept #1)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1)
  • Divided Allegiance (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)

“I thought you said you were the one in charge!" Ce'Nedra exclaimed.

I lied." Silk said. "It's a vice I have.”
89 likes
“Exaggerating?" Silk sounded shocked. "You don't mean to say that horses can actually lie, do you?
Hettar shrugged. "Of course. They lie all the time. They're very good at it."
For a moment Silk looked outraged at the thought, and then he suddenly laughed. "Somehow that restores my faith in the order of the universe," he declared.
Wolf looked pained. "Silk," he said pointedly, "you're a very evil man. Did you know that?"
"One does one's best," Silk replied mockingly.”
50 likes