Start by marking “The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)

The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England #2)

Catharine Kingsman
The Lion Triumphant follows The Miracle at St Bruno's with Catharine, the daughter of Damask, growing up in the new Elizabethan age -- one of the most eventful in English history because of the struggle for power between two mighty rivals had begun.
Catharine, smarting from the bitter blow which deprived her of her lover, meets the lusty sea Captain Jake P
Mass Market Paperback, Eighth printing, September 1985, 384 pages
Published 1985 by Fawcett (Ballantine Books) (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion Triumphant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion Triumphant

Jaimey
Spectacular! I loved this book but I have to say it is not a light read by any means. The story is intense and honestly, not all that romantic. In fact, don't read this if you're looking for romance. The hero is definitely more of an anti-hero and he doesn't change. This story is too realistic to be romantic...
Joe
Aug 09, 2010 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artemiz
Feb 20, 2013 Artemiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, netgalley
What a wonderful story!

Starts as classic pirate romance novel – sailor who is ready to get what he wants and maiden who does not want the sailor. Almost like The Taming the Shrew. Even after the maiden is abducted, I still thought that it’s all part of the sailors plan, for taming his wife to be. That’s when the first twist comes into the story. The story is full of twist and turns, and the minute you think you know what will happen next, it might go that way or not.

It’s a story full of love an
Vmontgzz
May 27, 2016 Vmontgzz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bueno otra historia que no deja indiferente, me recuerda un poco a La Hija del Diablo, la chica renuente, el marinero arrogante y mujeriego que la acosa. Hace muchisimo que un libro no me atrapaba como este y eso que es parecidisimo a La Hija del Diablo, que no me encanto, es obvio que Jean Plaidy uso la historia de Jake Pennylon para la novela de Tamar, ya que muchas partes son iguales, la relacion tormentosa de los protagonistas, solo que Catherine es mas lista que Tamar, la desaparicion de Ja
Jeannie Lee
Apr 02, 2011 Jeannie Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got to admit, when I first read this book, I hated it! But it stayed with me. I kept thinking about it....I STILL think about it. So, I read it again. Older, wiser, more worldly me finally understood the heroine. And the unlikely male leads in the book, as well. The sea captain made me so angry so many times, I was almost frothing at the mouth! My husband would laugh and say, "quit reading it!" Which I really couldn't. Usually the lead men in books have a soft side to them, a gentle side th ...more
Cphe
A swashbuckling seafaring romance during the time of Elizabeth1 when England was renowmed for her Navy and taking on the might of the Spanish Armada.

This is a very dated romance now and the hero Jake Pennylon left a lot to be desired in his actions and justifications for his pursuit of women and sons. No way could this be considered a PC romance. His long suffering wife Catherine certainly wasn't a pushover by any means and managed to hold her own.

Still it was an engaging romance with some excel
Karen Dempsey
Feb 14, 2014 Karen Dempsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phil Syphe
Dec 06, 2015 Phil Syphe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this second novel in the “Daughters of England” series to be a vast improvement on the first. Where Book One was largely predictable and had too many slow sections, Book Two is of a much faster pace with a few surprising episodes that I didn’t see coming.

The varied conflicts, settings, and characters all gelled together to create an entertaining narrative. Didn’t think it so amazing that I should rate it five stars; however, it certainly deserves four.

Impressive.
Ada
Feb 10, 2008 Ada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-romance
I really enjoyed this book because it was exciting and held my interest from the first page. I enjoyed the main character's strong will. The book is set in the 1500's at the begining of Elizabeth III reign. It portrays a lot of the religious strife of the period and also delves into the Spanish inquisition.

I would probably rate it pg-pg13 because it does talk about unfaithfulness and mistresses.

"The Miracle at St Bruno's" is a prequel but I havn't read it yet.
Judi Rogers
Aug 26, 2016 Judi Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As she always did, Phillipa Carr triumphed along with England.

If you love English history, Phillipa Carr, Victoria Holt Jean Plaidy are the one you need to read. She taught me all I know of English history and mystery
Celeste Batchelor
Jul 13, 2009 Celeste Batchelor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
Jo
Jun 18, 2016 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not deal with the rape and the Stockholm syndrome of the main character, Cat. She fell in love not once but twice her rapists. I know the book was written years ago and it takes place in a time when women had little choice, but it felt like I was supposed to be glad that she was content to marry men who sexually assaulted her. Just didn't work for me.
Becky
Apr 12, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A swashbuckling story of England when pirates raided Spanish galleons for gold to take back to Eliz.I.

Part of a series of mother to daughter generations stories telling the history of England from Henry VIII to WW II. Fabulous to read them all in order. Each one is a gem; each is surprising and well written.
Emily
Dec 01, 2013 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
Some things about this book were predictable, which almost made me not want to waste my time reading it. But I enjoyed the history that was interlaced in the story, and the main character is very relatable. There's really not much else to say about this book. It wasn't amazing, but it was good.
Gary Branson
Oct 15, 2014 Gary Branson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series. The author does tend to repeat herself at times but this doesn't detract from the story itself. The first two books in the series are historical romances at all. Brutal and frank retelling of a too brutal period in history.
Libbie
Feb 01, 2015 Libbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got the first in this series as a Book Bub $1.99 and now find out there are 19!(NOT $1.99) Love the history, though. I'm onto the 3rd since they give you the first few chapters of the sequel at the end of each--just enough to get me hooked.
Michelle (Champ)
I love this book. I love this series! Every year I read the Philippa Carr series (I have each one of the books). This one is full of things that happen. There is never a dull moment. Set back in Mary I (barely) and Elizabeth I reigns.
Donna
May 20, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels

Kidnapped by Spanish pirates, snatched back five years later by English pirates, threatened with torture from the Inquisition, charges of witchcraft, and nearly murdered by her own servant, Catharine's life is never short of excitement!
Ruth Vanderhart
I expected historical fiction and got gothic romance! I used to read these when I was 13 or 14. So it was a memory lane kind of experience. Kind of a ridiculous plot though--lots of lusty men and ravished women.
Janet
Jan 25, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another one of those heroes I wasn't too enamored of, but the story is interesting and the other characters are, too. A little romance and intrigue are fun once in awhile.
Jena
Aug 18, 2016 Jena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could have been a really great historical fiction if it focused more on the historical turmoil than rape.
Jo Golding
Didn't drag quite so much as the first book at the end. Not so totally sure that I'd read again
Ann
Philippa Carr/Jean Plaidy/Victoria Hold can think of infinite ways to retell Jane Eyre
Kellie Marnoch
Heaped with crazysauce. Enjoyable in it's own way.
Marie
Jul 31, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Definitely lived up to my expectations. Great stuff.
Tammie Elliott
book two of the philippa carr series.
Julia Smith
Julia Smith rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
  • The Judas Kiss
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Philippa Carr...

Daughters of England (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Lament for a Lost Lover (Daughters of England, #5)
  • The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)
  • The Song of the Siren (Daughters of England, #7)
  • Will You Love Me in September (Daughters of England, #8)
  • The Adulteress (Daughters of England, #9)
  • Knave of Hearts (Daughters of England, #10)
  • Voices in a Haunted Room (Daughters of England, #11)