Start by marking “The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes” as Want to Read:
The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes

The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes

One of the country's most celebrated roasters explains how to choose, brew, and enjoy the new breed of artisan coffees at home, along with 40 inventive recipes that incorporate coffee or taste good with a cup.

Coffee is experiencing a renaissance and Blue Bottle Coffee Company has quickly become one of America’s most celebrated roasters. Famous for its complex and flavorful
Published October 9th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee

William Cline
Aug 03, 2016 William Cline rated it liked it
Recommended to William by: Dave Kirlin
This book is a mix of general education about coffee, advice on how to make coffee, the history of Blue Bottle, and baking recipes.

The brewing instructions were pretty good, but they might daunt a reader who’s merely curious about making better coffee and isn’t yet willing to invest a lot of time and money. I think The Joy of Coffee is both more useful and more accessible. Come back to The Blue Bottle Craft if and when you’re ready for more.

Some of the stories about Blue Bottle’s business were
Jul 29, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
So much to learn here. Unfortunately, the more you know the snobbier about coffee you become. The book basically states that you need $$$ and time to make a mean espresso like the craft shops. Sad face.
J.
Sep 18, 2013 J. rated it liked it
Shelves: cuisine
Warning, this is about obsessive, extreme caffeine practices, and might not sound entirely reasonable to the occasional passerby. But if you grind and brew your own coffee, fresh for every cup you make, if you've maybe even roasted your own, come along . . .

This book turned out to be a testament neither to James Freeman, (self confessed hero of his own story in this volume) nor to the Bluebottle enterprise, (his tweaky / high-end coffee chain), but --- to the power of the internet, the kind of
Paul
Nov 28, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Where do I begin my review of this book. I suppose it's best to start with my Blue Bottle revelation which occurred earlier this year during a weeklong trip to NYC. Thanks to Yelp I had read about Blue Bottle and was determined to visit and so I did, day after day. Surprisingly it was not the coffee that led me to so many return visits it was the granola which was, without question, one of the greatest things I have ever eaten in my life. I came home from vacation dreaming about this granola, wo ...more
Jenne
Sep 18, 2012 Jenne rated it liked it
If you think coffee is absolutely the most important thing in the world, this book is for you! If not, I still recommend it but you might need to put it down once in a while and roll your eyes just the tiniest bit.
Still, it's definitely inspired me to seek out some really good coffee, and I bookmarked several of the cookie recipes. :-)
Erin
Apr 30, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook about growing, roasting, and brewing different coffee types. It also includes fun, mostly simple recipes for pairing foods with coffee. Good read.
Joan
Sep 27, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it
Probably the most pretentious book about coffee you'll find because who has the money for all of that, but very informative. Helps your craft of coffee improve a million times.
JOEY
Mar 09, 2015 JOEY rated it it was ok
Like many Ten Speed books, the Blue Bottle book has beautiful pictures and a pretty layout, and has great paper, binding etc. However when I got to reading the text, I would find myself enjoying the lectures then I'd promptly get let down, again and again. I mean, who would describe their coffee as wanting to be 'avuncular'? (With a straight face?) As I was reminded of again three days ago in San Francisco when I had a cappuccino made with Blue Bottle espresso, this third-wave style of coffee of ...more
Robert Hudder
Some good tips on ratios for extraction. Felt let down in the coverage of some drinks. i.e. why would you put milk in drinks.

A lot of emphasis on not putting milk before tasting and then talks about cappuccino and latte without reference. The recipes are good but most of the ideas are not too out of the ordinary. i.e. adding saffron to cookies was one of the most exotic.

Also, a very light touch on growers and sourcing beans without going too much into the politics. It keeps alive the romance of
Chris
Oct 18, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Having experienced their coffee in San Francisco recently, I had to buy their book when I returned! Its an interesting read; if you enjoy coffee you'll soon become addicted to the stuff!! The various artisan methods meticulously detailed in this book teach you how to make an amazingly delicious drink, rather than an average coffee we are used too!!! .... However, be warned, you'll be spending a small fortune buying grinders, drippers, a Siphon filter, butane burner etc etc etc. ..... The cake re ...more
Grace Kao
Aug 13, 2015 Grace Kao rated it really liked it
Great introduction to different methods of brewing. I've long been a fan of Blue Bottle since my Berkeley days, and now that I've moved to the city and have easy access to fresh roasted beans again, I've been thinking a lot about what system I want to use for brewing at home (have used French press before but it can get a little sludgy at times, so I've been thinking about breaking out my modest pour-over setup, and my friend is trying to sell me on the Aeropress). This book was a great introduc ...more
Alex
Apr 02, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. I never actually tried Blue Bottle coffee during my trips to SF, though I definitely heard of them, but now after reading this book they practically become my Mecca. I thought that I know quite a bit about coffee and yet it was an eye opener practically on every page. Combine that with a very personal and I would say "human" approach that author has and you've got a five star recommendation in your hands. In short, if you love coffee, but you want to read just one book abo ...more
Donald Guy
Sep 27, 2014 Donald Guy rated it really liked it
A good primer on the complicated world of coffee that bespeaks an infectious degree of passion for the subject matter; carves an interesting alternating path between the highly quantified and the unapologetically poetic. A slow read at times but I had a lot of fun coming into blue bottle cafes and reading the display copy as I enjoyed their fine product for which my appreciation grew as I read. Almost sad to have finished
Jonathan Appleton
Apr 07, 2015 Jonathan Appleton rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for learning about coffee. This is the stepping stone for understand specialty coffee and how it's grown, processed, stored, roasted, ground and prepared.

This was something I read for my profession, but really enjoyed it as well. It is tough to do most of this at home, but it is possible. The biggest problem with specialty coffee is that all others (including or especially Starbucks)will be pretty unsatisfying.
InJoy 2075
Jan 28, 2014 InJoy 2075 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This is so much more than a book about coffee with recipes! It's a story of someone's passion that they have chosen to share. The amazing photographs add depth to the already interesting tale being told. I found myself staring at them so I could absorb all the details.
I will suggest this book to anyone I know who is a coffee lover as well as to those who appreciate well designed books about life. You don't have to like coffee to enjoy this book.
Sarah Rice
Jun 10, 2013 Sarah Rice rated it really liked it
This is a comprehensive and informative book not just about coffee in general but also Blue Bottle, one of the best coffee roasters in the biz. This has great background information on coffee as well as great instructions/recipes for coffee brewing basics. It also includes food recipes, which is is great.

I wish they would have discussed iced coffee and their philosophy/methods/approach to it.
Overall, a great resource and great edition to a cookbook collection.
Mohammad Ali Abedi
Feb 22, 2015 Mohammad Ali Abedi rated it liked it
A book about coffee and how nerdy ANYTHING can be. You can read about any subject and it will make you feel like such an idiot because you start to realize how little you know about it.

The first half of the book contains a lot of different, basic information about coffee, from the farming up to it being consumed. The second half is written by the guy’s wife and is basically cake recipes, and this part was more or less useless for me.
Kate
Sep 24, 2013 Kate added it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2013
Really solid book with a strong authorial voice. If you want to hear about how pod coffee makers are the devil, here's your man. I'm making the sesame absinthe cigars tonight and also ended up copying the very precious instructions for pour over coffee, so that the threat of purchasing a $60 gooseneck kettle now has a paper form that I can store in a binder in my kitchen. (This book also prompted me to buy a gram scale.)
Valters Sprogis
Jan 08, 2016 Valters Sprogis rated it liked it
I would say that this is a good starting book to those coffee lovers who just started the grate adventure of this magical bean. In the book is exactly what it is written in the title - a few pages (like intro) about growing, roasting, drinking and a lot of recipes, that are used at the authors crated coffee shop. And of course brewing methods.
Fawn
May 17, 2013 Fawn rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Perfect for anyone who believes coffee is one of the must-haves of life. Beautiful photography and great coffee info that didn't come off as snobbery. I hope to visit Blue Bottle someday.
Courtney
Jul 08, 2013 Courtney rated it really liked it
Definitely will make me pay more attention to the coffee I'm making and drinking. Taste before adding milk! And I now want to try pour over coffee at home. It's a short book and not comprehensive but it's very informative and his story is enjoyable.
Arion
Arion rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Betsy
Jul 14, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food, x2013
incredibly detailed look at the world of blue bottle coffee, especially how to pull a superb shot.
Fanny
Fanny rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
vinylnotes
vinylnotes rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Jack Rechsteiner
Jack Rechsteiner rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Justin Yost
Justin Yost rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Mark Olton
Mark Olton rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
  • God in a Cup: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Coffee
  • The Professional Barista's Handbook
  • Home Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival
  • The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • Fiesta at Rick's: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • The Improvisational Cook
  • Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint
  • Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling & Barbecue
  • All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques
  • This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life
  • Weber's Time to Grill: Get In. Get Out. Get Grilling.
  • Mourad: New Moroccan

“Making coffee is a simple art, yet it also has so many aspects: practice, precision, and the sheer pleasure of making something you know you’re going to enjoy. It’s an expanding universe of wonderfulness; you never run out of things to get better at.” 1 likes
“People will wake up in the dark and pad to their kitchen needing strength, and the reassurance that something delightful is about to happen—and hoping that this small chore of making coffee might set the tone for a day filled with difficult, wonderful things.” 0 likes