Start by marking “Lovabye Dragon” as Want to Read:
Lovabye Dragon

Lovabye Dragon

In her bed in her room in her castle, a girl longs for a dragon.
In his nest in his cave in his mountain, a dragon dreams of a girl.

When a lonely dragon follows a trail of princess tears, a beautiful friendship is born. They march and sing, roar and whisper, hide and seek, then settle into snug companionship at bedtime. Barbara Joosse’s fiercely protective and gently lovin
Published September 11th 2012 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Lovabye Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovabye Dragon

Kathryn
A lovely, lyrical story with a fairy tale feel turns the usual "damsel in distress" captured by evil dragon on its head. For the little damsel in this story is distressed because she doesn't have a dragon. It's fanciful and cute how they find one another. And I love how it says the girl was little and the dragon was big but they were the same size inside. (A perfect match albeit an unlikely friendship!)
Tasha
Oct 08, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Once there was a girl who lived in a castle and longed to be friends with a dragon. There was a dragon who lived far off in a cave who wanted a girl for a friend. The girl was so sad that she wept silver tears of loneliness. Those tears trickled all the way out of the castle and to the cave of the dragon where they awoke him. The dragon followed the trail of silver back to the castle where he found the girl waiting for him. The two became immediate friends, spending all of their time together. B ...more
Maria Burel
Nov 01, 2012 Maria Burel rated it it was amazing
I was first drawn to Lovabye Dragon for its bedtime story-esque cover and illustrations. Beyond the cover, though, is a wonderful story about an unconventional princess and her desire for a dragon. Meanwhile, we also meet a dragon, longing for a girl for a friend. When they meet, the bond is instantaneous. Despite all their outward differences, they are a perfect match.
Angela
Dec 28, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, princess
I'll admit it, the subject matter gave this book an extra star. Yay for books about shy girls who want a dragon friend! I spy a little of myself in this princess, and I'm sure other girls will too.

This is a rhyming, cumulative tale that will be great for tuck-me-in time. The poetry does get just a little clunky in spots (rum-below roar?) but mostly it has a gentle, soothing rhythm.

The illustrations are shades of blue and purple, with a spot of yellow for a happy princess dress. I do wish they w
Dolly
Jan 19, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With a lyrical narrative and soothing, muted illustrations, I recommend this book for bedtime reading. The story is short and the dragon is quite adorable. There are some repetitive rhyming refrains that will likely appeal to younger children. It's a lovely story about friendship and we enjoyed reading this book together.
Sara
Nov 30, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, dragons
Super sweet rhyming text, perfect for a dragon preschool story time. I love the fuzzy, soft illustrations, but I also love the fact that they are big and clear enough for the preschoolers to see all the way in the back of the room.
Leona
Jan 13, 2013 Leona rated it it was amazing
little girl pines for dragon as a friend and miles away a dragon pines for a little girl for a friend. her tears reach the dragon and they are united. very beautiful rhyme and lovely sentiment about being different on the outside but "same in the middle."
Kate
Mar 16, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Am I the only one who cannot figure out the rhythm of this text?? I have been practicing this for a readaloud and have been failing miserably. I love this story, but found the rhythm super clunky and awkward. Gonna give it a go anyway.
Samantha
A girl and a dragon long for one another and it is the girl's tears that lead the dragon to her door. Lyrical text makes for a good read aloud. Some of the artwork mimics a comic book layout. A muted color palette makes for a soothing bedtime story.
Colleen
Oct 08, 2012 Colleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Twilight for the junior crowd. A girl who cries to get what she wants, and whispers throughout the entire book. Yuck. Let's hear a temper tantrum! Pretty pictures though.
Kendra
Nov 07, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
Oooh! Really liked this book! What great language to go with dreamy, cozy pictures. Just want to snuggle up with a little one and share it right now.
Molly
Nov 19, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
A great little princess picture book, especially great for those little princesses whose parents aren't super thrilled about frills.
Susan

Another sweet friendship and commitment story.
Marcia Brisson  Van Camp
Dec 30, 2016 Marcia Brisson Van Camp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute-kid-s-books
Such a cute book, we got this as a gift from Linda and Nick for Christmas 2016.
Rachel White
Sep 12, 2012 Rachel White rated it it was amazing
This 2012 book is about the friendship between a dragon and a princess. The princess was a lonely princess who had always dreamed of having a dragon for a friend. Then there was also a lonely dragon who had always dreamed of have a little princess for a friend. One night, while the princess was crying for the chance to have a dragon for a friend, her tears began to flow out of her room and down the stairs and through the woods and into a dark cave and straight to the sad dragon. The dragon follo ...more
Irene
Oct 16, 2012 Irene rated it liked it
Summary: In "Lovabye Dragon" by Barbara Joosse, two lonely characters in search for friendship wish for company and are ecstatic when they discover one another. A princess wishes she had a dragon friend, and the dragon wishes he had a princess friend. By following a trail of the princesses tears, the dragon finds what he has been looking for, and the princess has her wish fulfilled as well. Though they look very different from one another, they share many good moments that you are sure to find w ...more
Jessica Hottman
Summary:
There is a lonely girl in a castle who wants a dragon and a lonely dragon in a cave who wishes he had a girl for a friend. The girl cries so many tears in her loneliness, that they reach all of the way to the cave with the dragon. The dragon follows the tears back to the castle and both the dragon and the girl are surprised and excited to see each other. They do everything together and become the best of friends.

Audience:
This book is intended for young, elementary-aged students.

Appeal:
Ma
Destiny Dawn Long
Picked this one up from the library, because it seemed like a refreshing change from the insipid princess stories that seem so prevalent these days. Although the girl wasn't technically a princess, she still lived in a castle.

So this is the story of a lonely girl who wanted a dragon for a friend, and a lonely dragon who wanted a girl for a friend. They find each other and then they have adventures together and it's nice. I love the style of Joosse's writing--there's a softness and lyricism to i
Cecilia
Have you ever had a dream or wished for a friend who was a dragon? This is a book that will have you smiling like no other. I enjoyed this book for three reasons. The first reason was that the story moved along fast and had a great rhythm. I don’t know what it is called but what once started apart in the end becomes one. The other reason I enjoyed this book is that it has really colorful images and you know by the use of media the feelings of the little princess and dragon. Last but not least, I ...more
Asho
Mar 03, 2014 Asho rated it liked it
This was on the new picture books shelf at the library and I picked it out for my little boy, whom I have always called my "dragon baby."
I like the soothing colors of the illustrations, and I like that the text subtly plays with opposites (primarily big and little, but quiet and loud are featured) and rhyme. I couldn't always find the rhythm of the text and it was especially tricky the first time I read it because there are some made-up words that caught me off guard, such as the "lovabye" in th
Rebecca
I liked this quietly-colored story about a little girl who was all alone and wished so hard for a dragon to love. And a dragon who dreamed of loving a girl. I think it would be good for a bedtime story because the pictures are done in soothing night-time grays and the story itself is easy and projects more contentment than big loud happiness. There's also a subtle protective element going on which author Joose explains on the back jacket flap, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things: ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Aug 22, 2016 Kate Puleo Unger rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books-read
Loveabye Dragon is a book I saw recently on a list of dragon books, but I can't remember who's list it was. It's a sweet and cute read. It was another easy read for Christopher, but we didn't love it. It's about a lonely girl and a lonely dragon who find each other and become friends.

Our local children's theater is doing a production of it this coming season for their young audience series (ages 2-5). I'm not sure it has enough content for a 30 minute play, but the characters are cute. We'll ski
Linda
This is the first book when the little girl, so all alone in a castle, meets the dragon, so all alone, and finally they get together. The dragon finds the girl by following the trickle of tears spread by the little girl. The second book, Evermore Dragon, was just published this year, another adventure between friends. It’s a cute sing-songy story just right for young children to follow along when they meet, how it’s discovered that the roar wasn’t a giant, and wasn’t a monster, but the dragon t ...more
jacky
Apr 23, 2013 jacky rated it really liked it
Written in verse, this is a cute story of friendship between a girl and a dragon. Natalie is in a princess phase, which has recently started expanding out into other elements of fantasy (unicorns, dragons, castles, fairies). So, this book was well timed for us. Beautiful artwork. Bed time was a great time to read it. I felt it was a little longer than it needed to be, and some of the wording was a little hard to read cold and upside down. (I do most of my reading to Natalie upside down as she si ...more
Dec 31, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A young girl yearns for a dragon for a friend, while a lonely dragon dreams of a girl for a friend. This charmingly illustrated book describes how a girl and a dragon become friends and how they face the world together. I loved the first half of the story and its soothing rhymes; the second half didn't feel quite as strong and charming, though the entire story is sweet and dreamy.

Recommended for bedtime reading. The rhymes will make it especially appealing for preschool through kindergarten rea
Kaethe
I'm not really a fan of princesses, but apparently I have a soft spot for lonely ones. This reminds me of a favorite, The Tapestry Cats. It's the charming story of a girl and her dragon. That's all. Just really, really pretty. More a jumping-off place for imagining what I'd do if I had a dragon.

Library copy.
Rebecca Ann
Jan 30, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
This is a really cute, simple rhyming story about a princess who wishes for a dragon friend. She cries silver tears that drip all the way to the dragon's cave. He wakes up and they find each other. This would be a great pick for a dragon storytime The illustrations are muted colors, adorable cartoon-style with a hilariously goofy looking dragon. I'd pair with Puff, the Magic Dragon!
Danielle
Nov 04, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Charmed by this one. Girl longs for dragon. Dragon longs for friend.

"Now they've found each other and found out about each other so they marched and they sang all the live-long day."

Of course!!

"On the outside, Girl is little.
On the outside, Dragon's biggle.
But they're just the same size
exactly the same size
in the middle."

So true for an unlikely friendship story.
Alysia Adams
Illustrator: Randy Cecil
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Date: September 2012
Genre: Fiction/Animals
Strength/Aspect of Special Interest: This book describes the path two characters follow to become friends, and shows their emotions throughout the story.
The Brothers
Feb 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was ok
Maybe it's because the story starts with a weeping princess, but neither of the boys (6yo and 4yo) liked this story. A princess wants a dragon and cries about it. Her tears reach a dragon in a cave and he follows the trail back to her and they become good friends. That's all.

Love Randy Cecil's illustrations - even if the story is a bit of a dud.
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Oh! What a Surprise!
  • Again!
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Part-time Princess
  • Bear in Love
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • Bedtime for Monsters
  • Dangerously Ever After
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Because Amelia Smiled
  • Ribbit!
  • Olive and the Big Secret
Barbara Joosse has written many books for children. Among them are Mama, Do You Love Me?, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee; and I Love You the Purplest, illustrated by Mary Whyte. She says, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things — a best friend, and something so ferocious it would scare away the monsters under my bed. And so I have written Lovabye Dragon. I think maybe it’s for little m ...more
More about Barbara Joosse...