Start by marking “Finding Somewhere” as Want to Read:
Finding Somewhere

Finding Somewhere

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Two girls: Best friends Hattie and Delores feel that life in their small New Hampshire town is a dead end.

One horse: Old and about to be put down, Speed gets a reprieve when Hattie and Delores decide to save him.

A road trip: Determined to set Speed free, Hattie and Delores drive him west in search of rangeland. But the road takes some unexpected turns as the girls get thei
Published October 9th 2012 by Ember (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Somewhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Somewhere

Amy Lignor
There is no teenager (or adult, most likely) living on the planet right now who would not say that they would love to simply jump in a car and take off. They would be thrilled to see the country, with their best friend by their side, and fly far away from home in order to meet new people and experience brand new adventures. That is exactly what Hattie did - with one small difference; she did all this so that a very special friend could be free.

Speed is a horse who is just plain tired. He’s been
Liz
One of those quiet books that just blows you away! A deceptively simple plot: two girls steal a horse the day before it's to be put down, to drive West and find a place where the horse can just "be a horse" and live out its last days.

Beautiful language and believable characters. Even better, the two girls are from a class that usually don't appear in books unless they're abused, alcoholic meth dealers. Yes, the rural poor! And while they may have to work with their hands for a living, and met in
Mary
What a lovely book! Two teenage girls and an elderly horse on a road trip from the mountains of New Hampshire to the prairies of the west. The horse, Speed, is about to be put down, and 16-year-old Hattie steals him from her employers in order to save his life. Not very good judgement, perhaps, but believable - these are teenagers.

As with "Small as an Elephant", this book was brief, clear, and felt very real. The strongest aspect of it was Hattie's bond with Speed, her pity for his life of drud
Sophie Adams
I didn't like this book very much. I picked it up randomly in a mystery bag, so I didn't know what I was reading. It was easy, and it didn't really hold my attention. I read two other books that were more interesting during the time I was reading this. I wasn't attached to it enough to want to read only it.

I also didn't get the title. "Finding Somewhere" is so vague that it didn't tell me anything about the book. I think it should have been called something like "Speed's Last Adventure" or "Hat
Holly
A good, easy and enjoyable read. Two girls run away from home to search for where they belong.
Mimi
This was a beautiful book. It made me wish I had a horse or at least more contact with horses. What beautiful animals! I really like the way the author wrote and describes people and situations.

So, let's see. The two main characters are girls, best friends. I believe one is eighteen and the other sixteen. They grew up in New Hampshire, both to single mothers. They seem to be from lower income families, and they both have gotten their GED. And they both love horses. One struggles from (and it's n
Brooke
This was fantastic!

Two teen girls - 18, and 16, go on a roadtrip with an old horse. Speed was a pony at carnivals who led not such a great life. He is about to be put down by the now owners. Hattie,decides to steal with with her friend emotionally fragile friend Delores, and head West (from New Hampshire) to find a place to bring him where he can live his last days running (slowly as he is old) wild and die free. The girls also go on the road trip just for adventure. They are women going west! t
Martha
This was a fun book. I keep thinking there was little objectionalbe to it except that Hattie and Delores stole the horse, the truck, and the trailer. I was pleasantly surprised at how thought-provoking and insightful this book was. Hattie and Delores were both characters with whom I could connect and I could understand the desire to save Speed.
One of the reasons I picked up Finding Somewhere is because it looked like a short book and it was. I was disappointed that it ended so soon. The ending w
Britta
Finding Somewhere is a nice book to read if you're in the mood for a quick, heartfelt story. It involves two odd friends, stealing a dying horse and a cross country road trip - all laced with romance, sadness and changes.

Hattie and Delores are great friends, but they are a really odd pairing. But they have one big thing in common, they are crazy about horses. Crazy enough to steal a horse that it about to be put down in hopes of giving it time, if only a day, to live life as a horse was meant t
Linda
I adored this book, and the cover does not do it justice. Two girls, 16 and 18, steal an old horse, load him into a truck and trailer heading west, hoping to turn him loose on some rangeland somewhere. Bad idea, right? I believe this book was marketed as a YA, coming of age, road trip novel. That it is, but make no mistake, it's also a horse lover's novel, and I wish that the cover reflected that. There is much to be loved about the old horse named Speed, the decisions (good and bad) involved in ...more
Amanda Snow
Originally published at: www.apatchworkofbooks.com

Hattie loves horses. She's grown up around them and now works at a stable in her free time and feels completely alive while she's there, especially when spending time with her favorite horse, Speed. When the owners of the stable decide that the elderly horse needs to be put down, Hattie knows she can't allow that to happen.

Hattie and her best friend Delores, a girl with serious problems of her own, set off on one unique road trip. Mission? Set S
Erin
Two teenage girls pack up a horse and go on a road-trip cross country to find a place where their beloved horse can just be free. A trip that began as a means of freeing a horse turns into a story of friendship and self discover. Slow at times, I still found myself envious of the girls and their ability to just pick up and go. And while, two young girls on a trip across country has the potential of being dark and abusive, this tale avoided these terrible events and was a more refreshing read bec ...more
Tim Weed
Loved it! Nice story, engaging voice, and truly great characters. I've read other Monninger books, and I always get swept up in them. I found the dialog especially good in this book, and the love and affection the girls feel for their horse -- and the nobility of horses in general -- is clearly and beautifully drawn. Really terrific stuff.
Kate
Hattie and Delores are "women heading west." When the barn where the two girls work has plans to put down old Speed before winter, Hattie gets it in her head bring Speed out to the plains so he can run and be a real horse before the end of his life. Delores steals a relative's trailer and off they go.

I thought there might be a bigger reason why Hattie and Delores took off in this dramatic fashion - there seems to be tension between Delores and her mom, and Hattie just got her GED at 16. But the
Asia
This was one of the most beautiful, heartwarming books I have ever read. If you love horses this is definitely a must read.
Noémie
4,5 une tres jolie histoire. Pour les amoureux des chevaux mais aussi les autres. Plus profond qu'il n'y parait.
Kandra
It was sweetly poetic about the love we feel for horses. I remember it (that feeling) so well! I especially loved the chapter containing the midnight ride...on someone else's horses...sans saddles or bridles or anything! Crazy fun! Yes, there was sadness and a heavy dose of reality, but this is a book I am glad I read. I almost passed it up, but decided to give it a try. It reminded me how special horses are and how much they contribute to our lives, simply by living theirs and being themselves.
Kirsten
Delores just needs to get away. Hattie needs to save Speed, her favorite horse, from being put down. They steal a horse trailer and the horse and head out for the west, to let Speed "be a horse" and get out of NH (North Country).
The writing was a bit clunky, with some unbelievable dialogue, but it was a good story, even if it was a horsey book! Read it in preparation for meeting the author on Saturday.
Meggen
This was a delightful, quick read. A story of two friends on a cross-country road trip. In order to save an aged, beloved horse, they steal it and take it out west where it can live out the remainder of its days in open range land. They want it to be able to just "be a horse." This book was a good escape read and I found myself enjoying it much more than expected. A solid 3.5 stars from this reader.
Amy
This book had a noble and beautiful feel to it. I can still feel the tears wet on my face.

"He is pure air and fire; and the full elements of earth and water never appear in him, but only in patient stillness while his rider mounts him: he is indeed a horse; and all other jades you may call beasts." (Shakespeare, or so it is attributed in the book)

I'm so happy Speed finally got to be a horse.
Kristen
It started off slow but quickly became fascinating and slightly addictive. Overall, it was a fun read. I reccomend it to all horse lovers as it's quite relateable. I liked witnessing the growth of the characters and observing what they learned from their adventure. Normally I dislike road trip stories but I enjoyed this one. I think the horse element of it definitely made this story for me.
Mrs. Tongate
Sweet read. Two girlfriends are on the run with Hattie's favorite horse, Speed. The owners were planning to put Speed down. Hattie & Delores steal Speed late one night and go out west so that he can run in open fields the rest of his days. Hattie adores Speed and doesn't want him to go. Speed will always be Hattie's one true horse and buddy.
Jessica Journey
This was lovely. A very fast read, and I savored each page. It's hard to explain, even to myself, why I liked it, but I did. Finally, a story that doesn't try so hard to sum everything up with a neat moral or to be forcibly poetic. Finding Somewhere isn't groundbreaking, or suspenseful, or comedic. It just is what it is, and what it is is lovely.
Kim Nemeth
This was a nice easy read with a good story. I would recommend it to 7th and 8th grade students. The two main characters, girls ages 16 and 18, are from lower income, single parent homes and seeking to do the right thing. They have stolen a horse that was about to be put down and are traveling west looking to find a place for him to "just be a horse".
Tammy
I would actually rate this book a 2.5. Very disappointing to me after my first Joseph Monninger book, Eternal on the Water, which is one of my favorites. There was nothing that stood out, not great writing, not a great story, nothing especially moving in the descriptions of the characters, scenery, interactions.
Shirley
Okay I underestimated this book haha. It wasn't really REALLY good, but it really makes you start to have feelings for Speed too =( So yea. I cried. Except I was at school so I was just blinking furiously in the back of the class hahaha
Stephanie A.
It felt a little juvenile in tone for the intended age group and characters, so it didn't quite live up to the amazing potential in my head. But for subject matter alone, by far his best work.
Lorretta Asantewaa
i love this book because i love horses. their road trip is definitly one to remember. so sad that speed died but the girls, i couldn't be more proud of them.
Laureen Cutrona
simple, quick read. definitely for horse lovers. i was irritated with the two girls, but other than that, it was fine.
  • Inconvenient
  • Always Neverland
  • Ghetto Cowboy
  • Without Tess
  • Where Did I Leave My Glasses?: The What, When, and Why of Normal Memory Loss
Joseph Monninger has published eleven novels and three non-fiction books. His work has appeared in American Heritage, Scientific American, Readers Digest, Glamour, Playboy, Story, Fiction, The Boston Globe, Sports Illustrated and Ellery Queen, among other publications. He has twice received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and has also received a fellowship from the New Hampshi ...more
More about Joseph Monninger...
Eternal on the Water The World As We Know It Wish Margaret from Maine: A Novel Hippie Chick