Start by marking “A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: Toon Books Level 1” as Want to Read:
A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: Toon Books Level 1

A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: Toon Books Level 1

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Are we there yet?

There’s so much to see at the bottom of the world! Join a young explorer and his best friend, Mouse, on a sea journey to Antarctica, where they make new friends with penguins and a whale — and have all kinds of fun. Young readers won’t stop grinning as they’re swept away by the strange and magical world created by Frank Viva, the bestselling author of Alon
Published September 25th 2012 by Toon Books (first published September 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse

Emily
A charming and stylish easy reader with cartoonishly gorgeous illustrations of an Antarctic voyage. My son who is struggling to learn to read reached for this one of his own accord. I really hope we can learn to read it aloud together (I'm guessing he'll want to take the part of the mouse, whose plaintive refrain, "Can we go home now?" runs through the book). I can tell this is one that has potential to stand up to many, many, consecutive bedtimes.
Sara
Apr 15, 2015 Sara added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
1. A Trip to the Bottom of the World is very easy to follow. In fact, the cover claims it to be a "A first comic for brand-new readers." I found this to be very true. As the readers follow mouse's constant nagging on the boat trip, it is clear to see the progression through the panels. The author also takes breaks from the panels here and there to show an entire scene, or examples on one page. The book sets up a familiar pattern where the man or mouse will begin a sentence, then the next page wi ...more
Maija
I shan't lie, I was totally drawn to the colors. What wonderful graphic art!
Leticia Martinez
I personally like the illustrations in this book, they follow the text to the story well. For a short story, it goes into detail about a Mouse that wants to go home once him and his owner or pal? and is constantly asking "Can we go home now?" as they cross "the bottom of the world" since there are penguins. I find it cute that after the Mouse asking if they will be going home, Mouse asks at the end "can we go back there soon?"
Erin
This is billed as a "first comic for brand-new readers." When my 2.5 year old picked it out, I was worried the multipanel format would be too much for him to follow, since most of his books feature one event per page. But I will never be the mom that says "that book's too old for you," so we checked it out.

Not only did he have no problem with the panels, he absolutely adores this book. We're on our second renewal, and we've read it enough that he now "reads" the book to us instead. It's a sweet
Christine Turner
Are we there yet? There's so much to see at the bottom of the world! Join a young explorer and his best friend, Mouse, on a sea journey to Antarctica, where they make new friends with penguins and a whale, and have all kinds of fun. Young readers won't stop grinning as they're swept away by the strange and magical world created by Frank Viva, the bestselling author of Along a Long Road, and they'll want to start the book again as soon as they reach the end!

Subjects

Animals -- Antarctica -- Comic
Rebecca
Another comic for new readers from TOON books. This one, from acclaimed illustrator Frank Viva, has a cut-paper feel, though it is done in Adobe Illustrator. Part of me thinks "do little kids love these design-y books as much as adult graphic design types do?" but I have not yet tested this book on kids. I think they will like the way that Mouse presents lists in four panels; looks so stressed with his wide eyes and stiff whiskers; and continues the story onto the very endpapers with a wish to s ...more
Nicola Mansfield
This is a unique variation on the "Can we go home now?" theme. Mouse and his owner (perhaps) which I can't tell if it is a boy or man, but it doesn't matter, are on a small steam ship voyage to the Antarctic. Mouse is constantly asking the proverbial question while the "boy" engages his attention with what they are experiencing and activating his imagination until finally at last it is time to go home then the question turns into "Are we there yet?". Cute story and I find the simple stylized ill ...more
Kristina Lareau
I like the style of this book, but the story itself offers little by way of a narrative.
Kate Puleo Unger
To quote my four year old, "That was a funny book." I agree.
Kate
Dec 20, 2012 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarten & up
Loved the story and the humor. Good repetition and picture clues for new readers along with introducing some new words. I shared this with a small (so they could see the illustrations) kindergarten class and they chimed in with "can we go home now?" and the four-panel pages.

A couple issues -- swimming in the arctic seems odd. Why the water is warm is only explained in 'about the author.' Also, 'about the author' is poorly placed. It confused the kindergartners, although they didn't have a proble
Kate
Gorgeous, graphic illustrations.
Marika
Frank Viva's first children's book, Along a Long Road, was one of the New York Times Ten Best Illustrated Books of 2011. In Frank's new book, a boy and a mouse take a boat to Antarctica. Readers will be swept up by the sights they see and the adventures they have. Frank's limited palette and graphic style will entice both young readers and design enthusiasts. Though A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse is a Toon beginning reader, don't let that stop you from sharing it with picture book ...more
Destiny Dawn Long
This Toon Book for brand new readers draws on the author's own experience from his trip to Antarctica. In this comic, though, he goes with his companion, Mouse, who keeps asking to go home.

It's a great way to start young children engaging with serial art. The artwork is fun--has a bit of a vector art feel, with the large patches of color and lack of shading. Yet it still has a lot of dimension.

The text is fairly simple, as one might expect from a book targeted to beginning readers.
Emilia P
I decided to review this for the MCPL Children's Department blog. Cuz it's a comic book! And it's super-stylized! And it's all about looking at the pictures! Of starfish! Of buttons! Of whales!
I enjoyed this tremendously, though I must say I was confused by the warm water lake in the Antarctic. But I looked it up, it's real. How bout that huh. I must also say, I find myself reading an awful lot of books about anthropomorphic mice in the Children's Department. What's up with that!
Barbara
Parents will recognize their own children in Mouse's constant requests to "go home now" (unpaged) while he and his companion head on a voyage to the Antarctic Peninsula. Eventually he begins to have fun, but as soon as the ship heads northward, he wants to know if they've arrived at their destination. The book provides hints of the delights to see and experience on a sea voyage. It's part of those wonderful Toon books, perfect for beginning readers.
Mary
A beginning graphic novel. Mouse and his friend the boy are on a trip to the Antarctic. Mouse continually asks if they can go home, but boy says "not yet" because they might see.... Turn the page as mouse guesses 4 things they might see, 4 things they feel as small as, 4 things a whale does. This would be a great conversation starter between a parent and child; each could guess what mouse might answer before the page is turned.
Judy Desetti
It is a intro to graphic books. Seemed like a comic strip. A good book for first graders to learn to read with. Lots of repetition that makes reading easier. The refrain was "Can we go home now?" is something kids can relate to. In this story the boy and his mouse are on a boat trip to the Antarctica. Vocabulary is simple and related to verbs and nouns.

I think kids would like this. I bought it for my collection.
Melissa
I like this one once I caught the groove--I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe something more fanciful? than this turned out to be--and I did wind up liking poor mouse's refrain (I personally would not be very excited about a long, chilly voyage either). What I found myself missing the most, though, was Elephant-and-Piggie style word-bubble color-coding so I knew who was talking. I do like Long Road better.
Sandy Brehl
THis recent addition to the TOON book collection for youngest readers combines traditional picture book illustrations (single and double-page spreads) with graphic format (panels) and speech bubbles to allow the youngest readers to develop the visual language of comics/graphics.
The humor and patterns also allow beginners to read along and predict what Mouse will say next.
Nova
Frank Viva's book about the South Pole was very cute. I love the illustrations - as a special education teacher I like pictures that are simple and clear with bright colors. I liked the lists on every other page which give kids a chance to seek-and-find and can encourage their one-to-one correspondence. I wish there were a few more facts, but otherwise a lovely book.
Jamie
This was another great introduction to comic book format for my preschool-aged boys. It took multiple re-readings for them to understand that this was the story of a journey to Antarctica and the experiences he (and mouse) have along the way. Mouse's repetition of "are we there yet?" was funny for them, and I am a huge fan of the art.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
An explorer with his friend Mouse travel down to Antarctica. Mouse wants to go home, but our adventurer has so much to see and show his friend.

The text is simple and lays out the characteristics of two adventuring friends - optimistic and pessimistic. An excellent introduction to graphic novels for young readers as well.
Ingrid
I love the simple style of these illustrations. I also love the simplicity of the story. A man travels by boat to Antarctica with a mouse. There is no explanation given as to their relationship, which I like. I love his book for new readers. It can be read as readers theater with the child and adult each taking a character.
Lara
There was something about this one I just couldn't quite connect with, and I'm not sure if it was the art or the wording that I found...lacking. The story is cute though, and there's enough repetition for kids to latch onto. But I wanted to like it more than I actually did.
Tracie
A young explorer journeys to Antarctica and encounters all kinds of amazing creatures, but his best friend, Mouse, is anxious to return home. Simple text and panel-style illustrations make this a good choice for young fans of comics books and brand-new readers.
Mouse is on a trip with a young fellow (the author?) to Antarctica. He keeps asking when they'll be able to go home, but the fellow keeps showing him new things to see in the natural world. Simple language and a crisp retro feel in the illustrations - like it.
Amalia Ricksecker
PB 21:

I really enjoyed the artwork in this book. I also really enjoyed the layout and the speedy transitions. The mouse was much like many children are (his head moved so fast!) so kids would definetly be able to relate to him. Another greeat read aloud!
Kathy Ellen Davis
Loved the character of mouse in this one!
He's imaginative and silly.
The illustrations are amazing too.
I love the style and the texture.

Haiku Review:
Mouse asks, "Are we there?"
and meets things along the way
on his long, fun trip.
Angie
I love the illustrations. And I like the story. The structure could be a good writing prompt.

I just would have liked a little more story. But that's just me. And I think kiddos would enjoy this one.
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Tippy and the Night Parade: Toon Books Level 1
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • A Home for Bird
  • hello! hello!
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • The Power of the Parasite (Squish, #3)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
Frank Viva is an illustrator and designer who lives in Toronto, Canada. He is a cover artist for The New Yorker and sits on two college advisory boards. He is passionate about cooking, eating, and his daily bike ride to the office.

His first picture book, Along a Long Road, received wide critical acclaim and was chosen by the New York Times as one of the Ten Best Illustrated Books of 2011. A Trip
More about Frank Viva...
Along a Long Road A Long Way Away Young Frank, Architect Outstanding in the Rain A Long Way Away / Along a Long Road: Two Interactive Adventures in One!