Start by marking “Shane's Last Stand (Fighting Destiny, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Shane's Last Stand (Fighting Destiny, #0.5)

Shane's Last Stand (Fighting Destiny 0.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,029 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Meet Shane Laughlin, the hero of bestselling author Suzanne Brockmann’s new novel Born to Darkness, in a special eBook short story about his final mission as an officer with SEAL Team Thirteen—the mission that strips him of his command, earns him a dishonorable discharge, and leaves him blacklisted and unlikely to find work in the darkly futuristic world of the mid-twenty- ...more
ebook
Published February 6th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shane's Last Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shane's Last Stand

Auntee
If this was meant to be a stand alone ebook my rating would've been a little lower. But since this is basically a prequel to the upcoming Born to Darkness and serves as a character study of the hero, Navy SEAL Lt. Shane Laughlin, I'm going to be a bit more lenient.

The setting is the mid-21st century. Shane and his SEAL teammates are on a mission in (the country formerly known as) Afghanistan to take down a known terrorist (view spoiler), infamous for killing civilians
Jill

Lieutenant Shane Laughlin, commanding officer has landed in the country formerly known as Afghanistan with his SEAL team thirteen to take out a terrorist leader. But their target is not the known terrorist but a surviving witness to a massacre who had recently vanished. Shane aborts the mission.

This short story is set mid-21st century and is a prequel to Suzanne Brockmann's new series Fighting Destiny with the first book in the series Born to Darkness taking up Shane's story a year from
Regina
3.5 stars but I am rounding up. This book is a pre-quel to Suzanne Brockmann's new series – Fighting Destiny --, which is being advertised as a paranormal romance. The first book will be released on March 20, 2012: Born To Darkness. I was nervous and kind of still am about what Brockmann will be like writing paranormal. I am not a paranormal romance fan (generally) and I love SEAL Team 16 so much that I am sad Brockmann is leaving them behind, for now anyway. But I enjoyed Shane's Last Stand. It ...more
Wendy
There's nothing better than a man in uniform and Navy SEALs are my favorites.

For a short story this didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the action and the hero Shane McLaughlin and his men in trying to salvage an operation that didn't quite work out as planned.

What a great start for SB's new series, which I look forward to reading.
Sue Grimshaw
OMG - Suz is back - Shane is a hero to die for -- Sam, Nash, Izzy, all rolled into one! I know I'm going to love the new series FIGHTING DESTINY & BORN TO DARKNESS looks like it will rock, on sale 3/20/2012 -- they have a sneak peek to that as well - Must buy ladies only .99, on sale now!!
Mimi Smith
4 stars

This is a very, very short story that serves as an intro into the new series...

By the middle of the twenty-first century, much of the world has changed for the worse. Despite advances in technology, crime has increased, drug use is rampant, and the threat of terrorism hits closer and closer to home. And in the dark days of America's second Great Depression, the divide between the haves and the have-nots continues to grow.
Many things are different in this dark and murky future, but one thi
Donna
Shane is an officer with a bright future ahead until he and his team is sent on a mission to take out a terrorist known for blowing up hospitals and children except the target isn’t who they say she is. Shane and his team have been sent to take out a witness to a massacre who is in hiding. Shane aborts the mission knowing it could cost him his career.
Once again Suzanne Brockmann gives us a strong, moral fighting man who does the right thing against all comers. I am looking forward to Born to Da
Lasha
Fast-paced, filled with interesting characters and action. Frankly, I cannot wait for the next book! Ms. Brockmann once again creates a universe and characters that are fascinating and real.
Jacquie
Wow! Great start to an exciting new series from the queen of romantic suspense!
Xenos
Holy crap!!! What an introduction to Suzanne Brockmann's new "Fighting Destiny" series!!! In this short e-story, we meet LT Shane Laughlin and his team of Navy SEALS who are on a mission to take out a top terrorist. But all is not what it seems and Shane makes a decision that will change his life forever. In five chapters, Suzanne Brockmann establishes Shane as a noble, rough-and-tumble hero along the same lines as Sam Starrett, Izzy Zanella, Tom Paoletti and all the other beloved Troubleshooter ...more
Joy Zaharia
Navy SEAL Lt. Shane Laughlin, need not say much more! SEAL's are the men and Lt. Laughlin is no different!! I'm so glad Suzanne Brockmann wrote this prequel to Born to Darkness...the first book in her Fighting Destiny series. It really gives us insight in Shane Laughlin and how honorable he is. Can't wait to continue reading the series!
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 08, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dangerous heroes
This story is wonderfully imaginative. The plot simply rocks. The hero, no, wait, that should be HERO trashes all worthwhile in order to protect. Without hesitation, with intelligence, and making sure that when the shit hits the fan he is the only one who will be spattered. The cover art does not match my image of him, I think of him as older, darker, and with a face that makes one think of character rather than pretty boy.

I liked that the first chapter of the following book was included to smoo
Nicole
This was obviously a quick read, but it was a great way to introduce Shane to readers. It made me super curious to find out what happens to him next and in those few pages, I already kinda care about him. And the excerpt of BORN TO DARKNESS at the end was such a tease! I really can't wait for March now!
Sans
Interesting little teaser to Brockmann's new series. I'm not usually one or romantic suspense, but when the setting is futuristic? I'll bite. Not at $12.99 for the Kindle edition of the first book though. I'll wait until it's out in paperback at my local UBS.
Judi
Well I think this short story served it's purpose. In the short space of this read I came to care about the characters and about what the future holds for Shane in Born to Darkness. Should be interesting with the added paranormal aspect.
Melissa
Great devolped characters, setting up for Shane's own book. I have read any of Ms. Brockman's team books before but was very comfortable with is one and am looking forward to Shane's new book and the new series.
Jeanne
Well, let me say two things to start this review - 1) I am not normally a fan of short stories because they are just not long enough to give me a real connection with the characters and the story is too quick for my liking in most cases, and 2) This is hte first time I have read Suzanne Brockmann because she doesn't do the PNR or the UF and those are my preferences with rare exception.

That being said, this was a really excellent lead in to a new PNR series and I do plan to continue the series (a
Jennifer Lavoie
I enjoyed this story. It was short, yes, but knowing that it sets up the character of a new series, I didn't mind. I was glad to have this story to read, actually, because I've never read Suzanne Brockmann and I wanted something to test the waters without getting carried away right off the bat not knowing how she writes. I will definitely be getting the first book in this series immediately to read, and then I will likely splurge and get the Troubleshooters series, which is what I was looking to ...more
MandyM
A short story that introduces Shane, the hero of Suzanne Brockmann's newest series Fighting Destiny . Shane doesn't know it but this is his last SEAL mission. His team has been set up to take out an innocent woman. However Shane and his team have other ideas.

Shane's character will be very familiar to fans of SB's Troubleshooters series. The paranormal aspect (actually it's more futuristic than paranormal) isn't in this story so it's a good way to hook in readers who normally don't read PNR. I t
Deb
A lot of information was presented in this very short story. Shane was a likable character and I was interested in learning about him. As it turns out the information is this story is completely unnecessary as all of the key events are retold in the novel.
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Shane Laughlin and his 8 man Seal team are on a mission in the country formally known as Afghanistan to kill a terrorist leader named Rebekah Suliman. After Shane lands wrong on his ankle and its found out that one of the men has 5 trackers in his stomach they come to realize there is something seriously wrong. After locating what they think is the terrorist they find out by double checking that its not her but a woman that was the sole witness to the Karachi Massacre and they realize they had b ...more
I liked this, though I wasn't all that fond of the book it turns into. Brockmann always captures the gritty tenacious quality of the SEALS who must succeed no matter what.
Marie Wingate
Nice to fill in the back story f Shane, but is only a short story and not reLly a novel. Glad that I picked up born into darkness including this short story.
Lisa
First of all I hate short stories, but she got enough of Shane's character in there I can see myself wanting to take another peak
Lori
A meh story for Brockmann. An interesting way to prequel a series set in the future (timeline = approx the same as the In Death series). There is no worldbuilding at all - it could have taken place modern day. It's so short, I thought it would do better as a prologue or 1st chapter in a full-length. At least then the opportunity for worldbuilding could happen. I'll still read the 1st book, but Brockmann has some extraordinary writing to do to convince me it's not her usual rom-susp.
Writerlibrarian
This is a prequel teaser short story setting up Brockmann new series set in the near future with a black listed SEAL. As far as setting up the universe it does the job. It does introduce the lead character Shane as an honorable, courageous, brave, smart navy SEAL who does the right thing and loses his career and the life he loved. Definitely will check out the first book of the series.
Stacy Lewis
I am giving this book a 3.5 (rounding up). I liked it, I admit. It was so short, but it did give me a hint of what's to come. I can't wait to read the first book to come because I have always loved every single book by Suzanne Brockmann that I could get my hands on. She's phenomenal.
Lori K
30 pgs, 99cents

I didn't warm up to Shane much but it was a good intro. (Nothing of the prn aspect.) Basically sets the tone that Shane is a decent and honorable Seal team leader always doing to right thing even when he has to sacrifice everything.

Plus, he's hot.
Rjsmommy
This is the intro story to Suzanne Brockman's new series that deals with a futuristic world and an ex-Navy SEAL, Shane. It was a little confusing but what was loud and clear was what a brave and noble person Shane is...I'm looking forward to seeing where his hard-luck goes.
Kristi Davis
I can't wait for her next book. I liked this novella but it was too short and basically did nothing for me! I feel like it should have been the prequel to the next book? Maybe I'm just too impatient to read the first book in her new series that it makes me grumpy. :)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • SEAL of My Dreams
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops, #7)
  • Trey (Red, Hot & Blue, #1)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
  • The Hunter (Crossfire, #2)
  • The Embattled Road (Lost and Found, #0.5)
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Space In His Heart
  • Daring (A-Tac, #3.5)
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • Guns and Roses (Includes: PI Julie Collins; Bobbie Faye, #3.5; Rough Riders; Bullet Catcher; Shadow Stalkers, #3; Housewife Assassin)
  • Sweet Reward (Last Chance Rescue, #9)
  • Underground Guardians Box Set (Underground Guardians, #1-2)
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • The Guy Next Door (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #0.5; Donovan Brothers Brewery, #0.5)
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc
More about Suzanne Brockmann...

Fighting Destiny (2 books)
  • Born to Darkness (Fighting Destiny, #1)
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)