Start by marking “Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects” as Want to Read:
Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects

Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Make something new every day of the year! Craft-a-Day offers daily inspiration along with weekly themes to kick-start your creativity. Make magnets, cupcake toppers, garlands, cards, wall art, finger puppets, and more! With 52 different themes, from rainbows and snowmen to ladybugs and groundhogs, you’ll find fun and cuteness on every page. Author Sarah Goldschadt provides ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Craft-a-Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craft-a-Day

Lexi Wright
I grew up gorging on make-and-do books from the '70s, so simple crafts make me feel cozy and nostalgic and like I'm spending my time the absolute best way possible. Everything about this guide makes me smile: The shapes and themes of the weekly crafts, the easy-but-cool way the projects are presented, the gorgeous photography.

I've given this book to crafter friends, wannabe-crafter friends, and friends and family with kids. I've used it for the last three parties I've been to and thrown. Craft-
Carmine
I guess I thought 365 projects meant 365 different ideas, but it is more like 7 or 8 crafts.... repeated with a different theme every week of the year and they aren't kidding about 'simple.' One of those craft ideas is to cut that week's shape out of paper (like a rainbow or a robot or fish) and glue it to a Popsicle stick and stick it in a potted plant. Our household just doesn't really need that many little paper items stuck in our plants. The other ideas which are repeated each week are card, ...more
At the risk of sounding like I'm just copying other reviews, this book is nothing at all like it's advertised. It's not 365 projects - it's more like 20, you just make them many times with different shapes. And unless you either attend or host birthday parties every week, there's really no reason to make a garland, two kinds of cards, a cake topper, and cupcake toppers every week. And while it's cute to make a snowflake garland, do you really need garlands in the shape of ladybugs? Hexagons? Hea ...more
Miss Jessica
The person who would love this book is someone who makes A LOT of cupcakes.

Overall, the book is cute, if ridiculously redundant. Yes, there is a craft a day, and they are super simple. Most would take only a few minutes. However, the formula for each chapter goes as follows: Take a cute thing (i.e. fox, cat, rain, circle) make it a card, make it a mobile, make it a cake topper, make it a garland, make it a finger puppet. With very little variation outside of those ideas.

Kerli
I opened this book yesterday in the bookshop and wasn't that impressed actually. It looked interesting outside, but a bit bland inside. However, I flipped through it and became more interested. I liked the themed weeks, some of the themes were really funny - don't you just love the moustache? - and it really was easy stuff to make. What really got me was the witch hat hair clip. I bought it. As many people have said, if you like making stuff anyway, it's maybe not for you. But as I am trying to ...more
Katie
This is a great little book full of very quick projects that require just basic materials. They are cute and simple but practical. Cards, wall art, ornaments, felt animals, decorations, onesies, and cupcake toppers are some of the types of projects.

It's broken down into weeklong themes with seven projects using one object. For example, cloud week has a cloud mobile, cloud T-shirt, cloud card, and a few others. There are probably only 30 or so different projects. Even though they aren't all show
stephanie
cute. definitely simple crafts, but with their simplicity comes a redundancy and I don't think you needed a book this big for that.

I think, perhaps, this would have been better if aimed towards a younger audience, like children. errrr...
Pamela
I love to do simple crafts and this book looked attractive and very promising offering one craft for every day of the year. However, my expectations were soon shattered as the first crafts focused around one thing -- a snowflake. You have snowflake barrette, a mini-snowflake stamp, a paper snowflake mobile, snowflake wall art, mini snowflake toppers, snowflake card, and a snowflake garland card. Then on project eight you start the fox projects -- fox finger project, felt fox ornament, fox topper ...more
Shala Kerrigan
Craft-A-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects by Sarah Goldschadt lives up to it's title. The projects are simple. They don't take a big investment in time or materials. They fit into busy lives well, and are ideal for craft parties or crafting with young people.

It's a lovely book, the projects are very well photographed, not crammed all together on the pages, at 426 full color pages, each project gets it's own page with well written instructions. They are charming and put me in mind of zakka type c
Lilac Wolf
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I do love this book. It's full of cute and simple crafts that my boys and I adore and can't wait to get started on. I want to make all the felt ornaments for the Christmas tree, they want me to make all the felt stuffed animals for them. And CW wants me to do the paper sailboat cake for his birthday. Ivan chose diamonds.

Do you get what happened when that book arrived. They have both been through the whole thing at least twice. And they get mad when I sit down to look thr
Megan
Craft-a-Day is an adorable book with directions for kids and parents to make a craft every day for a year. Each week is split up into thematic weeks, like star week or rabbit week etc. Some in line with holidays so the paper and fabric crafts you will be creating and hanging up will match the time of year.

The Good:
- Oodles of things to do, easy to work into a daily routine
- Ordered thematically
- Easy to do alone or with adult assistance
- Made with lots of things you have on hand
- Several crafts
Kate
If you are more creative than a piece of sheetrock, you will probably be able to muster more creative projects than the tiny number ('way, 'way less than 365) that are in this book. If you are more intelligent than, say, the common earthworm, you will not need "directions" or lists of supplies for anything in this book. Well, the title does say "simple", does it not? Many reviewers here say, when Ms. Goldschadt "says 'simple', she means simple." I beg to differ. These are not "simple handmade pr ...more
Rachel
One of the "crafts" was triangle shaped cupcake flags / toppers.

Lots of repetition - each week there is a cupcake topper, mobile, and wall art.

Not only wouldn't I buy this book, but I'd tell my library to spend their money on something better.
Carmen
Some really cute ideas, but as several other reviewers have said, it is rather repetitive. There are a lot of templates, but nothing that you couldn't find something similar for free on the internet.
Tracey
The book is supercute and fun to flip through although most of the projects are geared towards those hoping to make disposable crafts and I would prefer to make items that are more durable and can be used year after year. Also, while there is a new template for each week many of the crafts (cupcake toppers, cards, etc.) are repeated week after week so I feel like there were maybe two dozen actual crafts rather than 365 crafts. However, with that said, the templates from the book could be used to ...more
Slee
It's great if you like someone else's templates, rather than suggestions, telling you what to do every day kind of like elementary school art class. By the end of the year you'll have fifty two themes worth of crafts, and you'll have looked at some creative goodies a little differently.
In the end though, I didn't want to do most of the crafts, and by about week three I found myself thinking that I do craft every day and these are too redundant to be entertaining for me.
So it was just "meh" for
Unless you're sitting down with the necessary supplies ready to make the craft, you honestly don't so much read this book as you do flip through it and enjoy the photographs.

It's bright and colorful and simple and cute-- all great words when it comes to crafts--and features weekly themes instead of a unique and individual craft for each day, which is actually pretty great for people like me who tend to find something and stick with it until we move on to the next obsession.

Because this book is b
Marissa Garcia
This is a really excellent, easy to use resource. I created a whole assortment of goodies with the kids in my tween craft club using the patterns.

Candace
I am so disappointed with this book. The cover just begs to be opened, but what you find inside is not 365 crafts. There are more like only 10 crafts, repeated over and over with different animals. Plus they are not projects that I would do over and over, like cupcake toppers or party decor. I mean really, how many parties do you throw in a year?
Jawa
I was so disappointed with this book. The craft projects seem poorly made to me and it's repetetive.
Tindle
Simple themed crafts that will make you wish you had more kids in your life!
Nancy
This was a cute book despite some of the crafts looking oddly like they came straight from the Ikea designers, but it was filled with simple, repetitive ideas which are easily done. Some of my favorites were the paper garlands (stars, circles, oblongs, and leafs made with various sizes and shades) as well as the 3D paper crafts (pine trees and Christmas ornaments made by cutting out multiples of the same image, folding each in half, and gluing all together at the outside spine of the fold), all ...more
Meril
Mar 06, 2013 Meril added it
Shelves: crafts
Exactly what it says: 365 craft projects organized by 52 weekly themes. Most of the projects are just repeats of each other with different motifs: ornaments, felt plush, cards, garland, cupcake picks, bobby pins, and gift tags predominate. Everything is very simple and despite this book not being targeted to child crafters, most of the projects can be done (some with assistance) by children who are able to cut, trace, glue, sew, and follow simple instructions.
Bert Klimas
I had to wait in the library line for this book so my anticipation was high. I had nothing to go on other than the title.

It turns out to be the perfect example of why I love my library. I'd have been mad at myself if I'd spent the $24 cover price on it. The crafts are primarily of a type that would appeal to children too young to do anything other than watch them being made. Felt and construction paper, minor variations on very simple themes.

Meh.
Amber
Broken down into weeks Example: Fox week: Finger Puppet, Felt Fox Ornament, Fox Cake Topper, Fox Gift Tag, Plush Fox, Mini Fox Cupcake Topper, Fox Card. Most of the weeks were the same thing like Star Gift Tag, Lady bug Card. They are all the same crafts! Kinda pissed about that.

Photos are wonderful and the directions are easy, but I wouldn't buy this book. If you really want to read it check it out from your local library for free!
Maggie
Cute book. I may not make anything from it though. I think my girls will like this book though. They like to make little things from felt. Maybe we will make cupcake toppers for their birthdays.
meg
love this book. what it does it does so well. i'm not the craftiest lady around and i present a craft group for kids at the library, so simple is key. there's a weekly theme, with similar (fox card, fox cupcake topper, etc.) daily crafts each week. and they are all adorable! the instructions are easy to follow and the design & layout is fun and inviting. so far i've only made the owlie and i can't get enough of it! <3
Jackie
When the crafts are simple is an understatement. Example: Cut out a snowflake. Use as a cupcake topper. Glue to a card. Glue a few in a row for a garland card. Tape some to a wall as a decoration. Attach one to a bobby pin for a barrette. Put tape on the back of one and use as a stamp. Hang a few together as a mobile. Those are first 7 days and crafts. The rest just continue the same way,
Christiane
I've just grabbed this from out of a transit bin and flipped through it and I've already found at least half-a-dozen crafts I could use for story time (penguins! groundhogs! bear finger puppets! 3-D ornaments!) so I am pretty excited. I haven't made any of the crafts yet, but they actually do look simple, with a lot of them made out of paper and materials you really might already have around the house.
Cindy
This book offers 365 simple projects, what it delivers is 52 cute designs that can be used with about a dozen crafts (plush animal, card, cupcake topper and wall decoration for example). Each project could be done easily with children. The designs are nice, but overall I found the ideas repetitive and overly simple. Recommended for people looking for easy crafts to do with elementary school age children.
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • Craft-a-Doodle: 75 Creative Exercises from 18 Artists
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Photojojo!: Insanely Great  Photo Projects and DIY Ideas
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Alabama Studio Style: More Projects, Recipes & Stories Celebrating Sustainable Fashion & Living
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • Clean & Simple Designs for Scrapbooking
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • The Repurposed Library
  • P.S.- I Made This . . .: I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
Sarah (pronounced SAH-RAH) Goldschadt is a Danish American print and digital freelance Art Director who loves to make things, travel and take pictures. She was born and spent all her childhood summers in Copenhagen, Denmark. She grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota and attended Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. During her 10 year career in magazines she’s worked for Food Network Magazine, Do it Your ...more
More about Sarah Goldschadt...
Pom-Poms!: 25 Awesomely Fluffy Projects Craft-a-Day 2015 Day-to-Day Calendar: 365 Simple Handmade Projects POM-Poms!: 25 Awesomely Fluffy Projects