Rite of Passage (Supernatural, #10)

Rite of Passage (Supernatural #10)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Thirty years ago, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a demonic supernatural force. Following the tragedy, their father taught the boys everything about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners of America... and how to kill it.

Laurel Hill, New Jersey is beginning to look like one of the unluckiest places on Earth when a series of mishaps hit the town. Bu...more
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published August 14th 2012 by Titan Books

Corrina
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

This book is set during season 7 of the television show Supernatural. I usually like media tie-in novels–it’s a good way to tell stories about the characters or in the universe that can’t be done on the show, either because it would be too expensive to film or it isn’t suited to a television medium or just to expand the universe and find out what the characters do in between episodes. And I love Supernatural– the brothers’ relationship, the...more
Becky
This book was 30% Sam and Dean, 10% Bobby and 60% author original characters. Let me give you an example. I bought this on my Kindle. Between 81% and 89% there was no mention of Sam & Dean. I wanted to read about Sam & Dean, that is why I bought a book called Supernatural. So by around 40% through the book I began to actually skim it just looking for Sam & Dean's names, then I'd read that part, then go back to skimming. It had lots of carnage, I'll give the author that, lots of unexp...more
Patrick Hayes
A decent outing with it set in Season 7, so Sam periodically gets visits from a non-existent Lucifer, though without this element the book could have taken place in any season.

Bad luck seems to have come to a major city and the boys go to investigate. The damage done to people is the most graphic I've read in a Supernatural book, though it is keeping with what's done on the show, except now it's really explained/shown.

The point of view shifts from the boys, to the villain, to a supporting chara...more
Victor Orozco
Wonderful read! Set sometime after Sam and Dean are running from the Leviathan and Sam is seeing Lucifer in his waking hours. The episodes with Sam and Lucifer or Halucifer are wonderful because of Mark Pellegrino's wonderful acting, he really chews the living hell out of the scenery like a dog with a bone. These novels are all about having a greater and much longer adventure. In the book Lucifer isn't just standing next to Sam but perched on a car or causing Sam to see such vivid hallucinations...more
Shadow
I love the supernatural book series because it reads like the show, only way better. They get to touch on subjects they don't have time, or just won't touch on the TV series. Some of the series writers are better than others and I know when I pick up a Passarella one, I'm in for a better story. The stories take place in between certain episodes so it kind of links one episode to another, but are completely independent from the series at the same time. You generally know the outcome of every stor...more
Dina
Rite of Passage was a vast improvement on the earlier Supernatural novels. There was much more character development of Sam and Dean. The dialogue and narration reflected the idiosyncracies of both brothers as well as Bobbie, their mentor. This takes place during season 7, so there are plenty of references to the Leviathan. That was totally appropriate for a novel during this part of the Supernatural timeline. Also, plenty of Sam/Lucifer halluncinations about as they should. The story focused mo...more
John Keegan
John Passarella’s first “Supernatural” novel was easily one of the best, and so the notion of a follow-up was a welcome one. Making it even more tantalizing was the thought of a “Supernatural” novel taking place a stone’s throw from where I grew up in southern New Jersey! While various place names and location details have been modified to protect the relatively innocent, it’s not hard for a former native to read between the lines.

Set firmly in the first half of the seventh season, the novel ful...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Sammy

I received this book to read for an honest review and since I am a fan of the show I thought it would be interesting. However, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, after all it is difficult to compete with the eye candy on the show. John Passarella did a wonderful job of staying true to the characters, including the humorous brotherly banter between Sam and Dean, that I have come to expect. Every chapter was exciting with lots of action and fabulou...more
Jen
Overall, this novel was a fast read that became more engrossing as it went on. Stakes ratcheted, descriptions were strong, and there was no lack of violence for those who love that, though the ending seemed to all happen a little bit too quickly for me. I was actually pretty impressed with the writing, as my expectations weren't exactly super high. Let's be honest, we're not expecting Pulitzer Prize-winning prose in these sorts of novels. That being said, the writing is much better than some oth...more
Morgan
May 09, 2013 Morgan rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Supernatural Fans
Liked the horror scenes, and the choice of monster for the villain. I also enjoyed the initial baddie, the Harpies, because they were really interesting. Beyond that, I was really irritated with the rape scenes, the male violence (directed at women), and the (again) frequent death and villinization of women. Sure, we had a single good female character in the entire story, but it didn't being to make up for all of the dead, raped, and evil ones.

As for Sam, Dean, and Bobby, I loved them all in th...more
Trudy Powders
This story follows the brothers,Dean and Sam to New Jersey,along with fellow hunter Bobby Singer.Strange happenings start to happen in a small town.The monster in this story is a Oni named Tora who had visited the town years before.He has come back to claim what is his and to perform a ritual.At first he seems to be unstoppable for the hunters. Then with the help of a retired hunter,Roy the boys learn how to stop the Oni.Blood and Carnage follow the Oni.He comes very close to completing the ritu...more
Saphirablue
Stacy
Just an ok story. Passarella does a nice job with the characters themselves. Sam, Dean, and Bobby always behave and talk like they should - unlike some of these spin offs where the author has the characters speaking dialogue that doesn't match the character at all. Unfortunately, the story itself just wasn't very compelling. Overall, it felt as though the author had recently seen one of the Final Destination movies and decided to write a story in the same vein, but missed the campy/comic relief...more
Samanthadroppie
I love Supernatural, the tv show, and so does my mum. She owns most of the Supernatural books, so I decided to read one of them. As soon as I started reading it, it felt like I was watching an episode. The characters were so well written, and I loved that. But I found the story itself a bit difficult to get into. But once I got into it, I liked it. I just didn't like the ending, because it felt a bit rushed. But in the end, I liked the book. I didn't love it, but I would definitely read another...more
Jules
Given to me to read by Mom L. There was a lot I had no clue about, because it was a book about a tv series. It talked about the characters like you lived with them every week for the last 7 years, and I got the feeling you needed to in order to understand what they were talking about. Not that it was thought-provoking material. It was just way out there and you probably needed to have 22 minute bursts of ridiculousness fed to you once a week instead of trying to force-feed it in one big gulp.
Anne
3.5 Stars

Hey guys, I know I didn't update some pages I had stopped, but I couldn't because I was in Cuba although I finished it! Yay! I gave this book 3.5 stars because it was interesting, but some of them kinda bored me somehow. There is also a show by the way and I obviously LOVE it! A lot. I watch it every seasons that I can't stop looking away from them! You guys should watch that show; it was extremely amazing!
Rob
A mostly well-done supernatural/horror suspense story, it got a bit gory but the storyline was compelling enough. The ending kind of unraveled, I wish instead of focusing on so many converging narratives the author had chosen a few less characters to focus on as 3 of them were all but indistinguishable and took away from the main reason anyone would be reading these books: the central characters Dean and Samuel.
Ayu Ikhwani
Always loved the 'written' version of Supernatural.. and love them even more now that I think the TV series is getting more ridiculous by the day.

This book, though nestled in the 7th season, gives a feel-good vibe where you get more than just glimpses of the earlier-type Supernatural episodes!

Definitely recommended for those Supernatural fans who miss the good ol' days =)
Deb
This was a difficult story to get through. The first 2/3 of the book dragged on and on with death and destruction. Granted, they were trying to establish what exactly the oni was and what a terrible creature Tora turned out to be. I just couldn't get into to it as a Supernatural story line. It felt forced and Dean and Sam felt like an after thought......
Angie
Fans of the show will enjoy the book for what it is: more Dean and Sam Winchester. Like single serving episodes in book form, the story fits nicely as a one-off Demon-Of-The-Day type story arc to tide you over when you need a fix.

Not a fan of the show? Don't read it. You'll hate it and probably be confused. Fan? You'll enjoy it.
theghostwriter
i don't know what it is about this series but the ones with "ghosts" as the hunted are by far the best. the thing being hunted in this particular book was a japanese monster that made lethal accidents happen... Zzzzz. and it didn't feel like Sam and Dean to me. I stopped reading it... it just wasn't enjoyable to be personally.
Stewie
While I enjoyed John Passarella's previous Supernatural book, Night Terror, he ups his game here in Rite of Passage. You can read my full review at HorrorTalk.com.
Megan
Another great Supernatural novel. They always portray Sam and Dean so well and I love how they tie into the show. This one was interesting as they went up against an Oni which I had never heard of before. As usual I am very excited to read the next one.
Neal
Really captured the flavor of the show unlike some of the other Supernatural tie-ins. I would have liked a bit more lore on the oni, but overall this was a good read. Recommended to fans of the Winchester Boys.
E. Jaye
I'm a fan of the series, but I bought some of the books to get an idea of what was going on inside the heads of the boys. unfortunately this didn't give me anymore insights, but it was a good yarn all the same.
Jenn Gilbertson
Awesome book. Usually I am shy at reading books based on current television shows as authors tend to stray from the canon storyline, but this author did an awesome job staying within the canon storyline.
Karen
An Oni, horned demon with a third eye, comes back to Laurel Hill, NJ to claim his sons... Sam, Dean & Bobby, with the help of an old hunter and the police, try to rid the world of this creature.
SueEllen Mohney
Very enjoyable read. I would easily recommend it to any Supernatural fan. As a matter of fact, I already have. (Helps to have a good bit of Bobby "screentime" in the story, too.)
Kerry
I really did not expect a great deal from this book but I was pleasantly surprised. It's well written and full of surprises. A must read for any supernatural fans.
Don
-Awesome book. The novels keep getting better and better, and they inspire that same "chill-up-the-spine" that I get when watching the show!
  • Fresh Meat (Supernatural, #11)
  • Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12)
  • Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
  • One Year Gone (Supernatural, #7)
  • The Unholy Cause (Supernatural, #5)
  • Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 6 (Supernatural: The Official Companion, #6)
  • Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
  • The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls
  • The Mythology of Supernatural: The Signs and Symbols Behind the Popular TV Show
  • Supernatural: The Dogs of Edinburgh
  • In the Hunt : Unauthorized Essays on Supernatural (Smart Pop Series)
  • Rising Son
19391
Bram Stoker Award-Winning co-author of Wither (which has been moved to the J. G. Passarella profile. Also, I'm the author of Wither's Rain, Wither's Legacy, Kindred Spirit, Shimmer, Exit Strategy & Others (fiction collection), and the media tie-in novels: Supernatural: Night Terror & Rite of Passage, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Ghoul Trouble, Angel: Avatar & Monolith. Look for GRIMM: THE...more
More about John Passarella...
Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4) Night Terror (Supernatural, #9) Wither's Rain (Wendy Ward, #2) Avatar (Angel: Season 1, #7) Wither's Legacy (Wendy Ward, #3)