Start by marking “Dancing Dogs: Stories” as Want to Read:
Dancing Dogs: Stories

Dancing Dogs: Stories

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  101 reviews
No one brings to life the remarkable bond between humans and their dogs like New York Times bestselling author Jon Katz. He has warmed our spirits with enchanting tales and keen observations of his animal menagerie—the dogs, sheep, chickens, and other residents of Bedlam Farm. Now, Katz is back with what he does best in his first collection of short stories, Dancing Dogs.

W
Published September 25th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Dogs

Helen
I am a big fan of Jon Katz' dog memoirs, and I was curious whether his short stories would read as well. They do; actually in some ways I think that these stories allow Katz to show off his talents as a writer in a way not possible with non-fiction. Here, the narrator is not restricted to Katz himself - in one story the narrator is an old farmer, in another a middle aged woman clerking in a big box store, and in another a dog, home alone and far from bored. The characters in Katz' stories are no ...more
Victoria
Short stories have never been my favorite medium, but dogs are among my favorite characters in fiction, so I hoped that this would be a fun collection - perfect to take along with me for a weekend at the lake house. Unfortunately, this is only the perfect collection to accompany a box of tissues and a private room - well, unless you are a pretty crier and don’t mind when people keep asking you what’s wrong! From the very first story, “Gracie’s Last Walk,” Katz opens with - as the title suggests ...more
Sharon
Sep 25, 2012 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers
I got this ARC prior to its publication as a "Goodreads Giveaway" and at first glance I thought it might be silly or boring, but boy, was I wrong! I loved most of the stories, starting with "Gracie's Last Walk". This book has a good mix of happy, sad, funny and thoughtful stories. One is about what a dog does when his owners leave the house. If you've got a dog that stays alone while you work then you'll really get a kick out of this narrative from the dog's perspective. I have a miniature pinch ...more
Amy
As with any short story collection, I liked some of the stories more than others. For me personally, I couldn't read this book straight through as the stories seemed to have the same tone, but with different messages. What is nice is that I could read from this book at different intervals to take a break from my other readings. Some of the stories really resonated with me (the suitcase on the subway - oh my!), but a few felt like filler. Any dog lover will enjoy this collection. I have read most ...more
Julie
Dancing Dogs is a collection of dog stories and also of the people in their lives. This is not James Harriet kind of writing which was stories about a vet and the animals and people encountered. This is more like peeking over the hedges into the dog park. Some of the stories are from the dogs perspectives. Others are from the people perspective almost in a Flannery O'Conner kind of way. Any dog owner/lover will identify with many of the stories, but bring tissues. Some stories will make you chuc ...more
Eva Leger
I didn't plan to and I normally wouldn't rate each story in a collection like this but something is telling me to so I will. The overall rating will be for the entire collection together.
Short stories in order:

1. "Gracie's Last Walk" (5 stars) - This is the first story and it's a good one. The narrator is really good with the exception of the vet assistants (Brazilian?) accent and the story is both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
I could totally 100% relate to Caroline and what s
Gail
I won this book in a first reads free giveaway. Received it in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to reading it. Thank you for my copy.
I really enjoyed the book. Inspiring collection of short stories about the lives of humans and dogs. There are a lot of sad parts that dogs could be treated that way.My favorite stories were Guardian Angel, Dancing Dogs, Lucky's Day, Puppy Commando and The Dog who kept Men Away. They were all good stories but I enjoyed those the best. Great job Mr.Katz on showin
Jami
Well, don't I feel like an idiot!?!? I got several stories into the book before I realized that this was fiction!!!! I was thinking that they were all true short stories at the outset. Not that I am complaining - I love fiction and this certainly did not take away from my enjoyment of this book!!! I enjoyed all of the stories; although I liked some more than others, I liked each and every story in the book. One word of caution: this is not a "read-in-public" book, as I found myself reaching for ...more
Linda
Dancing With Dogs is a charming book of short stories that is sure to please any dog lover. The 16 stories range from heart warming to heart breaking and explore our relationship with our pets and nature in general. While I had my favorites all of the stories were enjoyable reads. This is a quick read that is apt to give you a few laughs and is likely to bring on the tears as well. It would make a great gift for a pet lover and I definitely recommend the book ...more
Rebecca
I was pleasantly surprised upon winning a copy on Goodreads. I enjoyed the short stories by Katz. A great light read that will inevitably have dog-owners relating to these stories. It was great that a handful of the stories involved animal shelters since so many pets are in need of adoption. One theme that was a little overdone was of death--in both losing owners and dogs. I will be passing the book along to some of my animal-loving friends.
Joyce Ferrante
I won Dancing Dogs by Jon Katz through Goodreads!!Ismiled,laughed and cried as I read the delightful short stories about dog's lives!! She is an amazing author and I plan to read more of her books. Looking at life through the eyes of a dog is quite interesting. I highly recommend this book to all animal lovers, not just those of dogs. Now I wonder what Monte, my black lab is thinking all the time and what his life is like when noone is looking...???!!
Rachel Carr
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I received this book from a goodreads giveaway. I loved the way the tales didn't always end the way I thought they would. Some were very poignant, others very uplifting and all were delightful in their own way. If you are a dog lover, you'll like this book. I've not read anything else by this author, but I enjoyed his writing style enough that I'll certainly seek out something else by him.
Chantel
This is the first book that I've picked up by Jon Katz. When I got it on my e-Reader, I knew that it was a collection of short stories and thought it would be some cutesy dog stories to pass the time. Short stories have a difficult task in a small amount of words. Jon Katz did a decent job in most of the fifteen stories. Early on these stories felt more like children's stories but they also felt like realistic snap shots in the lives of the characters in the stories. They weren't heartwarming st ...more
Donna Lewis
A delightful collection of dog (and cat and donkey...) stories told from the both the owner and the Pete's perspective. Jon Katz has a slew of border collie books -- and of course I own and love one -- and he has a unique understanding of how animals relate to their people families. The stories are fun, entertaining and touching.
Ilona Mustafin
I was so excited to receive this book because I adore dogs. It was a good book filled with short stories. I know I don't fully understand dogs and I wish we humans would. Dogs are amazing animals and these stories show us a good peek into their existence. This book is for any dog lover. I do recommend.
Allison
A mix of stories about dogs. And one about a cat, to break things up. Many stories told from the POV of the dog. Not your fruffy, fluffy, feel-good animal stories. But, for those of us who love our canine family, it is great to read stories that were written by someone who feels the same.
Carolyn
I loved this collection of short stories. Many of them had me laughing out loud as I could relate my experiences with dogs that have passed through my life. And I shed a few tears, too. I recommend this to anyone who loves dogs as much as I do! I received this as an Advanced Reader's Edition!
Kristy Doyle
Great collection of stories. I was worried about reading this because I am very sensitive about animals suffering, but there were only a few sad stories, and even the sad stories had hopeful endings. A must read for animal lovers!
Karen & Gerard
Dancing Dogs by Jon Katz has 16 short fiction stories all centered around dogs. Most of the stories are really, really good! I loved it! If you are a dog lover, I think you will love it too!
(Gerard's review)
Vangie Anderson
even though DANCING DOGS had a few sad parts in it, it was definitely an awesome read and worth every tear!! I loved it & I would recommed it to anyone who loves dogs!!
Courtney
It had a few good stories. Alot of them weren't very deep - seemed kind of juvenile, like a kids book.
Dee Toomey
Fairly unimpressed. I love dog stories, but most of these short stories lacked depth. Also, the stories are fiction. When you write true stories, you have no choice for the direction the story take...no choice of a plot and how it is developed...no choice as to an ending. But in fiction, all the afore mentioned are created in the writer's mind. I just didn't feel this author did much plot development nor did he do too well with the endings.

A couple of the short stories were an exception...My fav
Jevelyn
Fun read for dog lovers, or any one who wants to look at the world differently
Marci
These are all delightful stories. Definitively kleenix material.
Susan

Good stories. Some made me bawl my head off.
Fox
I won this book through the GoodReads first-reads program.

I'm rather a sucker for animal stories, which is unfortunate because the bulk of them end with the animal passing away and commentary about the circle of life. Luckily Dancing Dogs Stories wasn't one of those books. While the first story, "Gracie's Last Walk", delves into that territory the rest of the book focuses much more about the relationship that exists between humans and animals.

The stories ran the gamut from humorous to touching,
Louise Chambers
Jun 22, 2013 Louise Chambers rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Recommended to Louise by: Denver Public Library
The first story nearly made me abandon this book. I cried so hard. I had just lost my Step-Dad, and also I am grieving the 7th anniversary of the passing of my best friend, my Shiba Inu Akira Kurasawa aka Booee; so you see I was quite vulnerable, and allowances must be made.

I put the book down on the floor by the bed overnight, and picked it up the next morning to try again with my cuppa joe. So pleased I turn over a new leaf, so to speak, pun intended!

I love each of these stories uniquely. They
Jacki
*Check out http://www.infinitereads.com for other reviews and sundry thoughts!*

Jon Katz is best known for charming readers with autobiographical observations of the assorted animals who live with him at Bedlam Farm, particularly his dogs. In Dancing Dogs, his first collection of short stories, Katz introduces readers to a new canine cast who may not be real but nonetheless capture the multifaceted spirit of dogs and the ease with which we humans come to love them.

In "Away to Me," a dog grows d
Jerri Stamps
I always enjoy Jon Katz's books, but really appreciated this one, as I could relate...very heartwarming! My best friend is definitely getting a copy!! Dancing Dogs (one of the stories) refers to the story of the 3 Welsh Corgis -- my BFF and her corgis saved me -- literally saved me during the spring of 2009. I had just lost my job, was so depressed, as it was NOT a nice place to work anyway, very hostile work area. I lost myself, things that mattered to me, just trying to 'fit in' and make it th ...more
Charles
  • A Dog Named Boo: How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other--and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way
  • Weekends with Daisy
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • A Dog Walks Into a Nursing Home: Lessons in the Good Life from an Unlikely Teacher
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • The Bond: Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship: Hilarious, Heartwarming Tales About Man's Best Friend from America's Favorite Humorists
  • Chaser: Unlocking the Genius of the Dog Who Knows a Thousand Words
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Daisy
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time
  • I'm a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America's Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Pet
Jon Katz is an author, photographer, and children's book writer. He lives on Bedlam Farm with his wife, the artist Maria Wulf, his four dogs, Rose, Izzy, Lenore and Frieda, two donkeys, Lulu and Fanny, and two barn cats. His next book, "Rose In A Storm" will be published by Random House on October 5.
He is working on a collection of short stories and a book on animal grieving.
More about Jon Katz...
A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey, and Me The Dogs of Bedlam Farm: An Adventure with Sixteen Sheep, Three Dogs, Two Donkeys, and Me Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm