Start by marking “The Assault (Recon Team Angel #1)” as Want to Read:
The Assault (Recon Team Angel #1)

The Assault (Recon Team Angel #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  49 reviews
It's 2030, and humanity is losing the war against alien invaders. A Band of Brothers meets Ender's Game in this sci-fi military thriller.

A team of six has been chosen . . .

. . . to infiltrate the enemy's headquarters in the heart of the Australian Outback. The six teens have been modified to look like aliens. They have spent years mastering alien culture so that they can t
Published September 25th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Assault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assault

It was a good book with action and excitement. Great for COD and Halo lovers. Also a good book for science fiction lovers.
The book I read was The Assault by: Brian Falkner. This book takes place in a post-alien invasion world were earth was invaded and what’s left has taken refuge in the Americas. They have heavily fortified the Americas to try to hold out versus the superior alien technology until they can create a battle plan to drive the aliens off the planet for good. The book takes place in the perspective of the 4th recon team, or “Angel”. They are a Special Forces unit created to take kids and train them to ...more
Matthew Collins
This was a very good book. I give out 5 stars a lot (I'm just really good at knowing whether I will like a book or not before I start it), and it sounds silly, but I even started looking for reasons to drop a star, but even if I felt there were faults, they got lost somewhere in my interest and investment of the story and I had to stick with a 5 out of 5 stars. Especially for a YA book, I felt the way he organized the military terms and proceedure was done really well. The story itself is very i ...more
The Assault
By Brian Falkner

Will the Angle recon team come out alive from the mission.

(Pg 186, Falkner)

'He flicked the safety off on the detonator.
Price jumped to her feet and began to run. Rounds split the air around her and puffs of white flicked up around her feet. The car was only meters behind her, closing in on the last pillar.
Chisnall's thumb moved over the firing button.
"Get down!" he yelled. There was an explosion below and the building shook as the tanks fired at the main door.He look
By the description this book sounded really interesting. It proved to be a massive flop. I got 55% through it and just could not read another page.

Things I liked :::
- I liked the tech in this book. The half pipe (a parachute without a parachute), the automatic holster etc.
- And that was about it...

Things I didn't like :::
- Worst alien invasion ever!!! They have ships that can carry them all the way across the universe but once they get here they have to borrow all of the human tech to take over
Set in 2030, the story follow a group of six military teenagers who have been specifically trained for this mission: to infiltrate the base of the alien race, the Bzadians, who have taken over most of the world. However, the mission becomes a lot more dangerous once the team leader learns that there is a traitor within the group. Now, he must get his team through this mission all while trying to find out who between is the traitor to the human race.

All the characters are interesting. Many of the
William Bentrim
The Assault by Brian Falkner
Earth is invaded, the invaders are as biologically as close to us as chimpanzees and they are winning our planet. A team of teenage commandos infiltrate their most secure facility and wreak havoc.
My first reaction to the age of the commandos was tainted by the reality of child soldiers in the African conflicts. After I scrubbed that image from my mind I was able to focus on the story.
The story line is fine. The political logic regarding the arrival of the aliens see
Ms. Yingling
In the future (shortly before I can retire in 2038), the Earth has been taken over by aliens from Bzadia. It started with a plea from a small group to be allowed to take refuge in uninhabited areas of Australia, but before long they were attacking that area of the world and moving slowly and inexorably through Europe. Only the US has remained free, and the military there assembled a small team of teenagers who were modified to look like Bzadians and trained in their customs and language, as well ...more
Kathy Martin
This science fiction war story was filled with action. A group of six young people have been trained to infiltrate the headquarters of the alien invaders who said they were coming to seek refuge from their dying planet but who now want to take over the whole Earth. This is the story of how they managed to get into the fortress and what they found when they got there.

The leader of the group is sixteen-year-old Lieutenant Ryan Chisnall. The other group members are his Sergeant Holly Brogan, Specia
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
Review from my blog:

I actually gave this book 3.5/5
The story starts off in 2030 most of the world excluding New Zealand And America (which are now called free territories) have been taken over by aliens called Bzadian's.
They came claiming peace but instead plotted to take over the world and wipe out all of humanity, Australia is their base of operations in particular Uluru in the Northern Territory.
Six soldiers from around the world have been trained to imitate
In the year 2030 an alien race has invaded earth and is trying to take it for themselves. Recon Team Angel, a squad of young soldiers and spy's, are forced to infiltrate enemy facilities and find information to help end the war between humanity and the Bzadians (the aliens). When slipping behind enemy lines Recon Team Angel will discover things that they never could imagine possible.

Recon Team Angel Deserves a 5/5 star rating because although it does not have the most original story-line it is w
Cole Ellwein

My reason for choosing this book was that it sounded interesting. Well turns out the book is based in Australia. The war with the aliens is going on and has been a stalemate for years so it is external conflict. Chiznall is dynamic from the begging to the end. He was strong, caring, good actor, and observant. "Brogan!" Chisnall tried to keep the relief out of his voice. "Are you okay?"(Falkner 196). The theme was basically I think impossible is nothing. One connection to the book is they are abo
Bethany Miller

Earth has been invaded by the Bzadians, an Alien species who wants to exterminate humanity and claim the planet for their own. Recon Team Angel, made up of six teens who have been physically modified to look like Bzadians, has a special mission to infiltrate Uluru Military Base, assist in an attack, and investigate what is going on in this highly secret location. At the outset, only the team’s leader Lieutenant Chisnall knows the full extent of the plan, and the mission has just
Booktalk for middle school:
I am sure you have seen pictures, or even know someone, who is covered with tattoos.

But have you ever seen pictures of those people who have had their tongue surgically split in two, so it is forked like a snake’s?

How about the people who have had implants put in their heads, to make it look like they had horns?

What if you HAD to do that, for your job? Would you still do it?

What if your job was to save the world from an alien invasion?

That is the mission that Recon An
Jack Dobbins
This book was an absolute joy to read. Falkner kept me analyzing every detail which only fueled the mental image of Uluru that i was creating. I love that all characters were teenagers, this made it easy to engaged my focus and kept me flipping page after page. Everything from the fire-fights with the Alien parasites to infiltrating the enemies base kept me from putting the book down. A fantastic read. I highly recommend for teenagers and young adults alike.
Im not exactly sure what to say of this book. I enjoyed it, thats for sure, but I also believed that it could have been so much more. So, an interesting book in the least, it brings with it a shaky future for the human race because, well, Earth has been invaded by aliens. Many many aliens. A short book that one could call cool, a nice read for those who like science fiction. Oh, beware, lots of second guessing when reading this book (in my case anyways).
Nick Welch
The story of angel team 1 one is very realistic. Unlike most books that have war violence and weapons and then explain nothing about them, this book has a large glossary that explains every military term used. This book also has a great and original plot. The only thing that was wrong with the book is that the ending is a bit confusing but besides that the book has no errors at all. I personally that Brian Falkner has made a book that everyone will like.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Kurtis Chan
I thought that this book was really interesting and how a turn of events can decide a life or death situation. From the beginning where someone tried to kill the leader of the Recon Team, Chisnall to infiltrating the alien base to end the war, it was a turn of events that nobody expected. Chisnall thought that everything went the way it was supposed to. But Chisnall thought wrong. He ended up almost getting caught by the enemy until he and his crew changed costumes. They also thought they had en ...more
Clayton Yuen
This is the first novel in the series and it starts with a bang. Earth slowly taken over by aliens; how do we stop them? Well, before you can fight them, you have to infiltrate them .... in come the "modern" recon team.

A bunch of trained teenagers, chosen for their diminutive size (to match the aliens), are trained for the Angel Recon Team. They infiltrate the alien base in Australia to determine the aliens secret.

I give this YA novel by Brian Faulkner 5 stars because he has presented an awesome
It started out pretty well but just went downhill from there. I had already guessed the end and the traitor by the fifth chapter. It was predictable.
Cassidy Washburn
I KNEW IT! I knew who the traitor was! BOOYAH!

I really enjoyed the whole story line of this book. Just the thought of teenagers taking on some badass aliens was epic! Definitely make sure to read the Glossary of all the phrases used in the book because it really helped.

Some great aspects of the book were
1.) The characters were very likeable
2.) It keeps you guessing on who the traitor is (I knew who it was almost right away :P)
3.) The phrases and statements between characters were HILARIOUS! e
good military action, aliens v humans.
Cindy Leyva
it was okay. Not the most original plot, but a very factual string of events.
Elite group of teens in the military, dedicated to fighting the aliens who had overtaken earth. This elite unit undergoes intense training and even physical surgery to appear like the aliens in order to go on covert ops missions behind alien enemy lines. Someone within the unit may be siding with the aliens. What shocking experiment are the aliens attempting to keep secret? The secret is shocking! Great storyline, characters simple, the mission not simple.
Billy p
The Assault, by Brian Falkner hooked me in right away. It took place in the year 2030 and Earth had been attacked by an alien race and The United States was the last area still under human control, which forced these six teenage soldiers called recon team Angel to disguise themselves as the enemy, the Bzadians. I enjoyed the action packed book and would recommend it to any individual who is interested in futuristic war and lots of action.
Book Bazaar
I wasn't sure that I would like this to begin with as the military jargon made me think it might be a bit too "boy" for me but 2 chapters in that hesitation was forgotten. I have enjoyed all of Falkner's recent novels - wonderful to have sci fi and action adventures for teens and this one, with Australia being occupied by an alien force, was tension filled and exciting. Perfect for boys, and girls, who want an action packed read.
recon team angel, wanted to defeat the aliens and put an end to the war, but there was a traitor inside there team so the treater kept on getting in trouble finally they found out who it was but it was too late.
Wanli Cheng
This book is really interesting for kids, and also teenagers. In the book, it talked about several exciting missions the team angel do. Also, the book describe the missions really emotionally, made me felt like I am at the scene, saw the mission going on by my own. This book is using a different language, to make the story more interesting. It's a really good book.
  • The Fellowship for Alien Detection
  • Earthfall
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
  • Lost Train of Thought (The Seems, #3)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • Hex (Hex, #1)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • Council of Evil (Villain.Net, #1)
  • The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)
  • Outlaw
  • The Deserter (The Bone World Trilogy, #2)
  • Double Vision (Double Vision #1)
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • City of Shadows (TimeRiders, #6)
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)

Recon Team Angel (4 books)
  • Task Force (Recon Team Angel #2)
  • Ice War (Recon Team Angel, #3)
  • Vengeance (Recon Team Angel, #4)