Start by marking “Faint Echoes Of Laughter (Empty Chairs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Faint Echoes Of Laughter  (Empty Chairs, #2)

Faint Echoes Of Laughter (Empty Chairs, #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The shocking and spirited sequel to the much-praised ‘Empty Chairs’.

Life on the streets of Sydney was preferable to the nightmare Stacey Danson had survived in the hell that was home.

She hit the streets running at the age of eleven, and armed with a flick-knife and a fierce determination to live a different life, she began the journey from the 1960s to today.

For those that
Published January 12th 2012 by Taylor Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Faint Echoes Of Laughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faint Echoes Of Laughter

Brenda

This book was both heart breaking, and heart warming. The sequel to Empty Chairs: Much more than a story about child abuse, which ended when Stacey (whose street name was Sassy) was almost 12 years old.

Sassy lived in ‘The Palace’ (a shipping container) on the docks of Sydney, with other street kids. It was run and controlled by Jamie, a street kid himself, and the rules were there so they would all survive. But as the years went by, Sassy realized she wanted more in her life, more than the terro
Rhonda Rae Baker
Prepare to devour Sassy's story...(-:

After reading Empty Chairs, this memoir answered many questions and brought surprises yet not surprising considering what she went through.

My heart aches for this beautiful woman and the life she has suffered. I am encouraged for myself and worried for my children. Abuse has a way of destroying lives forever.

I can only hope that other's will reach out and help...show compassion and do something if they can to help those that have been hurt.

This is a must re
Julie
She does a rare thing, makes the homeless visible.
Sara
After reading Empty Chairs almost a year ago I was extremely anxiuos for Stacey's sequel to be printed. This book answered a lot of questions after. Stacey did a great job writing with anger, hopes, and the value of life in herself and the others who helped her survive in the Palace.

I both cried of sadness and cried tears of joy during reading this book! this breaks my heart to read how destructive child abuse is even as an adult all those years after, even after being off of the streets for 35
Polina
The follow up to Empty Chairs book, I read both of them in the space of 2 days (and yes - nights!) I liked that she dedicated last part of the book to describing her adult life and briefly of other kids from the Palace. As much as I was relieved to hear that growing up on the streets does not 100% of the time mean dying on the streets, still it leaves a huge scar. Overall both books have definitely made more more sensitive to what we label as "problem" children and adults and wishing to extend m ...more
Jane Bozman
Mar 28, 2013 Jane Bozman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fellow survivors
Recommended to Jane by: Sandra Harmon
This is Danson's second memoir, her first is titled Empty Chairs. Empty Chairs followed her early childhood through the teenage years. This story plays out what happened to Danson after enduring a childhood filled with unbearable sex abuse.This story is a testiment to her strength and resolve to rise above her unfortunate childhood.
Reading Stacey's complete story gives a sense of hope and promise to those who have endured similiar abuse.
Lisa
Wow, I thought this would be easier to read than the first, it wasn't, the roller coaster of emotions this book created in me left me feel drained but I'm so very thankful I read it.

To have met Stacey(Sassy) and those who helped make her life better than it was, I feel so privileged to have read this, to have an insight into the terror this woman endured, along with some much dispersed happiness, fantastic read I highly recommend.
westernway
There is not a lot that I can add to what has already been said by other reviewers. That said I would like to add that this is only the second book, in all my many years of reading, that has reduced me to tears at the end. The first was 'Stuart - a life backwards' which I read a couple of years ago and reviewed on here. The 'Honour Roll' at the end was heartbreaking.
B Jeanne
The first book, "Empty Chairs" and this one, are the some of the best books, I've recently read. Very raw story of a girl living on the street, and the second book tells us where she went from there. A very satisfying and attention getting book. It's hard to believe a child can be abused so badly that the streets are a better alternative. But I know it can happen.
Gloria
This is the continuation of Stacy's first book Empty Chairs. I agree with several people that this book answers many questions that were left from the first one. Stacy writes about her experiences in a direct, hopeful way.
Ruth
After finishing the first book "Empty Chairs". I immediately got this book to hear Sassy tell of her assent from the bowls of hell. I loved every minute of these books. I love you Sassy and all that you stand for!
Debbie
I'm glad I read this one because the first book left me feeling unfulfilled and a little confused about what happened. This one established closure for me.
debbie crowe
Follow up to Empty Chairs, excellent rate, both books
Melinda

Great book. Again tough subject matter.
Siobheann
This sequel is inspiring and uplifting.
Nina
Extremely moving and inspiring.
Lectus
Via http://onlectus.blogspot.com/2012/09/...#

This is the first time I read a sequel to a book about child abuse. Usually, you read about it and finish the book knowing that the child somehow escaped the abuser, but you never know what happened afterwards. How was life after the abuse? How did you cope? Did you ever have sex (normal sex) again? Did you fall in love? Did you get married and had children? I always wonder, specially the last question.

In Empty Chairs, Danson escaped her mother and we
Mitsy
Nov 19, 2013 Mitsy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
The sequel to Empty Chairs answers all the questions. It is well written. I thank and applaud Stacey for writing both books.

In all honesty, her story rips my heart out, saddens me, and fills me with such anger I want to scream. I feel helpless and deeply confused. How could anyone abuse a child? How could so many people look the other way when a child is in obvious pain? There are so many questions I have. I feel a sense of loss for the children who have ever suffered abuse, been homeless, or d
Lori
After reading "Empty Chairs" in a day ro so, I had so many questions by the end of the book. It ended to abrubptly for me. I found the sequel, Faint Echoes Of Laughter and had to find out what happened to the people in the first book. The first book was hard to read (hard as in sickened) and this story was just as horrifying. I am thankful Stacey had the courage to write the sequel and amazed that she made it out of the cesspool of what should have been her childhood. This poor sould was robbed ...more
Susie
I was anxious to read the sequel to Empty Chairs, hoping for a happy ending for Stacey. She fought her way through such unspeakable conditions, but life being life brought struggle even when she was off the streets. This brave woman was plagued with illness, addiction and a broken marriage, but you feel her strength through all of it. This is more than a book of survival it is a book of overcoming what tries to defeat you.
Emilie
Wow. I can't remember the last time I was so absorbed in a book I blew past my bus stop. The two days I spent reading the book, I did this TWICE!

So tragic and yet so powerful, I urge everyone to read this book. You'll cry and you'll count your blessings and you won't be able to stop thinking about Stacey and her story. Brace yourself, you'll forever be changed.
Stacey
This is the sequel to Empty Chairs. I was interested to find out what happened to Stacey. The book provides some closure. I do find it a bit glossy. Her first book was raw and real and this felt a bit sugar coated. The author does not appear comfortable with discussing emotion so it made the story feel robotic.
Maggie
The follow up book to "Empty Chairs" which tells of the author's early years and escape from horrific abuse.
Whilst the first book held my attention in the most intense manner this one somehow failed to deliver. I felt that the story was somehow more vague than the first book.
Karina
How did she do it!? She wasn't lucky she was brave and determined. These two books prove the power of one person to overcome anything! I am so very glad that you survived Ms.Danson and that you have had a good life against all odds. Thank you for sharing.
Angela Yoho-reed
I highly recommend these two books! Empty Chairs is the first book then Faint Echoes Of Laughter. Stacey tells us about her horrid childhood and how she survived. It moved me in so many ways
Roxanne
Great follow up to Empty Chairs. I'm glad she wrote a second book to let us all know how the others ended up and herself. Life is full of struggles but she has overcome. So glad I read it.
Veronica
I finished this in one day. It's such an inspirational and sad story. The poem at the end of the book brought tears to my eyes. I recommend this to all.
Sue1958
I had to read the sequel to find out where she is now in her life. She found it very hard to sustain her relationships, and I can understand fully now.
richwire
Fantastic book. Read the other one first. Stacey's story has really stuck with me. I'm thinking about going back and re-reading these again.
I really like Sassy. I think she has so much strength within her. It gives me hope that each of us has much more strength than we know.
Why is this book so expensive ? 3 3 May 30, 2014 01:45AM
  • Leaving the Hall Light On
  • Sleepwalking in Daylight
  • Two Hearts: An Adoptee's Journey Through Grief to Gratitude
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • A Lethal Inheritance: A Mother Uncovers the Science behind Three Generations of Mental Illness
  • Stalking the Soul: Emotional Abuse and the Erosion of Identity