Start by marking “Бассаксофон” as Want to Read:
Бассаксофон

Бассаксофон

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Седмосвещник
• Ребека седеше на канапето, по анцуг, опряла гръб на възглавницата
• Чичо ми Коон
• Тя разказваше как е станало
• Господин доктор Щрас
• Господин учителят Кац
• Прокрадвала се тихо по стълбите
• Разказ за Кукувицата
• И тъй, тя стояла в онзи майски следобед
• Eine kleine Jazzmusik

Вавилонска история и други разкази
• През плющенето на дъжда
• Песента на забрав
Published 2011 by Стигмати (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Бассаксофон, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Бассаксофон

Davis
Aug 29, 2007 Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any lovers of Kafka, Fellini,
Skvorecky experienced the Nazi occupation of czechoslovakia and the Prague Spring. This short novel reads like a Fellini film.
The characters are unforgetable. Skvorecky, an old teacher,now,
living in Canada (if still alive)also wrote several fine coming of age novels and a couple of good mysteries. All of his work is infused with a love of jazz. How can I not like the guy?
Tyler Jones
To put the experience of music - how it moves one internally, how it puts one apart and above the world while connecting one more strongly with the world; the particular kind of ecstasy music can trigger - putting that into words is no easy thing. But Skvorecky, in one beautiful passage in this book, has come closer than anyone else I have ever read to accomplishing this feat. Add to that the tension of a young man yearning for freedom (and girls) in a Nazi occupied Czech town and you have the m ...more
Kurt Gottschalk
Aug 31, 2013 Kurt Gottschalk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read, Emoke, a lovely tale of suppressed romance, while traveling in Prague. Even decades after its wartime setting, it resonated with the land I was visiting. It's a wonderful novella that transcends any prejudices against stories about love or war.

It took me a couple months after returning to New York to get to the title story of the book, but when I did I finished it in a single day (to a soundtrack of Anthony Braxton, John Butcher and Urs Leimgruber). This is a fantastic piece of writing!

Marguerite
Aug 29, 2010 Marguerite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this gem at the CNU library. It speaks eloquently of music as a force for hope and change in a totalitarian society and more specifically of jazz as a redemptive force. I wonder if the music is better now that the society is more open.
Dennis
Jun 05, 2012 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that just FEEL Czech and after living there for so many years, I could feel this book, based on the people I knew. Really delightful.
Wendy
Oct 12, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Josef Skvorecky. Creates the deepest longest and loveliest sentences that ramble with much meaning.
Stosch
Mar 27, 2015 Stosch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european
eh
Czarny Pies
Oct 08, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Octave Kleist, Edgar Allen Poe or Theophile Gautier
Recommended to Czarny by: Skvorecky was a famous prof at my undergraduate university
Shelves: czech-lit
Joseph Skvorecky was a writer who experimented with many genres. With the occasional misfire, he was successful most of the time. The two novellas in this collection constitute a foray into the occult and fantastic. While Emoke is an honourable effort, the Bass Saxophone is a resounding success.

Although, Skvorecky was an avowed fan of Edgar Allen Poe, I found the mood similar to that which I experienced when as a little boy, I first heard a recording of Alan Mills and Jean Carignan' performing T
Howard
Jan 08, 2014 Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-read
Two novellas from Czech Josef Škvorecký - Emoke from 63 (set during Communist rule) and The Bass Saxophone from 67 (set during Nazi occupation) published by Ecco in 94. I never read introductions before the main book but this time I should have as it's by Škvorecký himself, entitled 'Red Music', and it contextualises the next two works - oppressive regimes v artistic freedom, writing, jazz. Emoke is the stronger work - an insight into life at the time, set in a kind of state holiday camp. I had ...more
Patrick
Mar 08, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These two novellas illuminate two brief encounters with sympathy and humor. In the first, Emöke, the narrator describes a week-long visit to a sort of communist vacation camp, where he meets the titular character, a young woman with a sad background and a fervent belief in a better spiritual world, whom he briefly becomes close to before they are separated by the hard truths of circumstance and desire. In the second, the narrator is roped into playing with a concert ensemble of freaks for an-all ...more
Katie
Mar 05, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I didn't really enjoy reading this, I took a step back from my personal experience midway, and finally understood something about writing and reading and personality.
John Rey
This book consists of two novellas.

The first one is "Emoke". It has a potent message that I feel still very relevant one's exploration in faith, reason and love.

The second novella is the "The Bass Saxophone". I think it is written in a stream of consciousness of the character. It feels like a cruise on someone's imagination connecting what one remembers of his past and relating it to his present situation where he encounters a band of musicians performing to a German audience in a Czech town dur
Tom
Feb 24, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has two short stories, I liked Emoke better. The second story, The Bass Saxophone was a little bit dreamy and surreal which made it hard for me to stay focused on it.
Finder
Mar 11, 2015 Finder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jazz against the machine.
Dilyana Georgieva
Шкорецки огъва езика като джаз импровизация с неочаквани синкопи, които очароват.
Втората световна война през очите на един ариец и историите на неговите приятели евереи. Авторът опасно жонглира с читателската емоция, в лекотата на езика си в миг пробожда до кокал - буквално. Разказите преливат - различни - един в друг, водени от нишката на неизменния джем сешън с толкова тъжния глас на бассаксофона.
José Doné
José Doné rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Bertolina
Bertolina rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Springboard
Springboard marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
William Brown
William Brown rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
MissWormwood
MissWormwood is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Namitha Vivek
Namitha Vivek is currently reading it
May 11, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Rules are made to be broken 1 4 Mar 06, 2013 05:34PM
  • Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light
  • Largo Desolato
  • Prague Tales (Central European Classics)
  • Makropoulos Secret
  • Racconti
  • Postřižiny
  • Nikola the Outlaw
  • Come Back, Dr. Caligari
  • Weights and Measures
  • A New Path to the Waterfall
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • The Poetry of Jaroslav Seifert
  • Salad Anniversary
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night, Snoopy
  • Music of a Life
  • Fimfárum
  • House of Fear
  • Sedmikostelí
Josef Škvorecký, CM was a Czech writer and publisher who spent much of his life in Canada. Škvorecký was awarded the Neustadt International Prize for Literature in 1980. He and his wife were long-time supporters of Czech dissident writers before the fall of communism in that country. By turns humorous, wise, eloquent and humanistic, Škvorecký's fiction deals with several themes: the horrors of tot ...more
More about Josef Škvorecký...