Start by marking “Start a Freedom Business” as Want to Read:
Start a Freedom Business

Start a Freedom Business

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  246 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Start a Freedom Business is a collection of practical tips and information by serial entrepreneur and full-time traveler, Colin Wright.

This book is intended to help aspiring entrepreneurs build businesses that they can be proud of and profit from, while also avoiding the startup trap that many young business people fall prey to, which leads them to exchange a good portion
Published 2011 by Colin G Wright

To ask other readers questions about Start a Freedom Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start a Freedom Business

Andy Beal
Mar 15, 2014 Andy Beal rated it liked it
As someone that runs many "Freedom" businesses, I was excited to read this book. Unfortunately, I became too distracted by the many typos and grammatical errors. If the errors are corrected in a future edition, I'd add another star to my rating.

Putting grammatical errors aside, this would be a good primer for anyone interested in starting a web based business. If writing, blogging, consulting, or designing are your strengths, this book will give you ideas for starting a business you can run from
Gabriela
Jul 20, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing
This book hinges on how to start and run a business without exchanging your life to make more money

Colin Wright's 'Start a Freedom Business' is a simple guide to help those who aspire to build an easy to manage business. The book primarily hinges on how to start and run a business without exchanging your life to make more money. On the contrary, the book advocates for using the online platform to create a business and a living that will free up your time.

The book covers several topics that inclu
Andrew
Feb 22, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
Brief books with links to tools. Unlike many books within the same genre, he shy away from self-promotion of his own services.

Unfortunately, while he gives advice on how to start a business, there is very little material on how to stand out amongst the thousands and millions of others who are trying to accomplish the same.
Paris Marx
Aug 22, 2013 Paris Marx rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book gives a good overview of the how to start your own freedom business, why you should, and the different types you could pursue. The information provided is quite basic, though Colin does expand on a few key areas, which I'm sure some readers will appreciate.

I had few complaints about the book, but I can see some finding the book a little too broad and simplistic. I also was a little confused at the structure near the end where interviews started appearing at the end of chapters, without
Byron
Mar 16, 2012 Byron rated it liked it
Here's an idea: stop working for the man and start a freedom business. You should consider starting your own business anyway, because where else are you going to work? But you don't want to start a business that's like having another job - maybe even worse, because you can't just clock out at five and assume someone will pick up where you left off. Start a Freedom Business describes businesses you can start that allow you plenty of free time to pursue your other interests. Like a tasty meal from ...more
Bonnie Florek
Jan 01, 2015 Bonnie Florek rated it it was amazing
Lots of helpful information

This book has a lot of helpful information and very doable ideas for success. I look forward to getting started so I can do some traveling too.
Alberto Fav
Jan 14, 2014 Alberto Fav rated it it was ok
Overall a disappointment, but at least it was cheap. I would recommend it only to anyone absolutely new in the field of entrepreneurship. Not many actionable suggestions, very light on how to come up with new, profitable ideas (this is a common thread of all the books like this, apparently).
Ignas
Nov 11, 2013 Ignas rated it it was ok
The book is so so... There are nice tips, but this is not the book which will give you deep understanding of the business or will give some very rare and useful tips. In general yes - it gives overview and for the beginner - maybe it is a good place to start. But if you read some other similar books - will be mostly waste of time. Colin is a great guy and writes in a easy to read style, but I do miss more detailed info in the books.
Sara Frandina
Nov 03, 2013 Sara Frandina rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Enjoyed reading this e-book, as I typically do with anything by Colin Wright. Inspiring and at times thought-provoking. Read it in bits and pieces, which could be the reason I'm not overwhelmed with excitement about it, but certainly worth the read. Very much looking forward to his other books. Do wish this one had gone through another round of editing...
Hayley Swinson
Absolutely worth the 99 cents. Quick read, interesting interviews with successful start ups and plenty of good resources for people just getting started on a freedom business.
Alex
Dec 27, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
Very practical. Very down-to-earth. Very direct. Perfect as a basic starting guide to a freedom business or business in general.
Raphael Dourado
Jan 19, 2014 Raphael Dourado rated it really liked it
Good intro material for someone who wants to get to know about these kind of "Freedom Business", and don't know much about business as a whole. Also liked the first part of the book, which is inspiring.
Denise Wy
Jan 22, 2013 Denise Wy rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and inspiring. Been wanting to start my own Freedom Business ever since I started reading about lifestyle design, and this one helps a lot.
Brandon
Jan 02, 2014 Brandon rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I am not sure why I keep reading "business" books by people who have been in business a shorter amount of time that they were in high school and college.
Mark Johnson
Nov 06, 2012 Mark Johnson rated it really liked it
Short, encouraging, useful.

An expedient read and worthwhile especially as a catalyst for further reading into entrepreneurship.
Alex Rodriguez
Lots of ideas, but I like how I can go back and use as a guide for helping me out.
Dumitru
Nov 25, 2012 Dumitru rated it really liked it
awesome book :) thank you Colin for the ideas and inspiration)
Bryan
May 13, 2013 Bryan rated it liked it
Simple and well written.
Tom Salzer
Tom Salzer rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
RonJee
RonJee rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was ok
Thomas Brenner
Thomas Brenner rated it it was ok
Andrea Jacobs
Andrea Jacobs marked it as to-read
Maritza Umaña
Maritza Umaña rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Peyton
Peyton rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2016
Mitch
Mitch rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2016
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Kevin A Hassett
Kevin A Hassett marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Chad Colman
Chad Colman rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
  • Life Nomadic: How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent
  • The Suitcase Entrepreneur
  • A Day in the Life of a Minimalist
  • Click Millionaires: Work Less, Live More with an Internet Business You Love
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • 49 Quick Ways to Market Your Business for Free: An Instant Guide to Marketing Success
  • 279 Days to Overnight Success: An Unconventional Journey to Full-Time Writing
  • I Have Iraq in My Shoe: Misadventures of a Soldier of Fashion
  • In Defence of Dogs
  • The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Guide to Cleaning Up in Business, Even If You Are at the End of Your Roll
  • No BS Real Estate Investing - How I Quit My Job, Got Rich, & Found Freedom Flipping Houses ... And How You Can Too
  • How I Made My First Million on the Internet and How You Can Too!: The Complete Insider's Guide to Making Millions with Your Internet Business
  • The Laptop Millionaire
  • Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich
  • Henry Ford
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • How to Study with Mind Maps: The Concise Learning Method for Students and Lifelong Learners (Expanded Edition)
  • Be the Monkey: A Conversation About the New World of Publishing Between Authors Barry Eisler and Joe Konrath

“Most people who run Freedom Businesses do so in order to achieve (or get closer to achieving) their ideal lifestyle, myself included. I wanted to be financially secure, location independent, well-connected, and in a position to be constantly trying and learning new things.” 1 likes
“multitasking reduces the quality of everything you do while also increasing the amount of time it takes to do each task (even if you think you’re good at it, which everyone seems to). The superior alternative is to focus on one task at at time, finish that task, then move on to the next.” 0 likes