Start by marking “Play It Safe” as Want to Read:
Play It Safe

Play It Safe

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  10,254 ratings  ·  737 reviews
No connections. Play it safe. These were the rules Ivey lived her life by.

Until she hit Mustang, Colorado, a perfectly imperfect town where the citizens were welcoming and one of them included the tall, beautiful, macho man rancher cowboy, Grayson Cody.

On the run for a decade, Ivey knew she was supposed to play it safe. But she was tired of being on the run. She wanted a n
Published January 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Play It Safe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play It Safe

Motorcycle Man by Kristen AshleySweet Dreams by Kristen AshleyMystery Man by Kristen AshleyThe Gamble by Kristen AshleyLady Luck by Kristen Ashley
Best Kristen Ashley Books
24th out of 44 books — 1,562 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireBared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
Controlling/Sexy/Possessive Men
147th out of 1,661 books — 4,039 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Play it Safe is just $0.99 today for kindle!

Okay, I love cowboys, and I love Kristen Ashley’s books, so a Kristen Ashley book with a cowboy hero?? Yeeeehaw!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah, I loved it!

Play it Safe is heartwarming, heartbreaking, funny, exciting, burn up the pages hot and even though it’s about fifty thousand pages long… it was still too short. There’s a fantastic supporting cast of characters who need their own stories told, but most definitely, bot
Aestas Book Blog
6 stars!!

SQUEEEEE!! SWOON! DREAMY SIGH!.... I SERIOUSLY ADORED THIS BOOK!! WOW!

This book was a heart breaking, heart warming, heart racing, keep-you-up-all-night, have-you-swooning-squeeing-and-declaring-your-undying-love-for-the-hero kind of story. It made me laugh, squee, swoon (a LOT), cry, grin.... everything you could want in a book.

This was my first 6 star (above and beyond) KA read. I was hooked!!! I started it just after midnight and it kept me riveted to it until the sun came up an
Lisa

“Say you love me, Ivey.”

“I love you, Gray.”

I am not going to write a review for Play it Safe because this is an older KA book and there are a lot of reviews out there already.

IT'S KA.

IT WAS AWESOME.

ENOUGH SAID.

Grayson:

Ivey:

description

“Prettiest thing I've ever seen."

"Gray,"

"In that getup, in your jeans and tees, in your bikini on the lawnmower, when I open my eyes in the morning and see you next to me, anytime I see you, that's what I think. First thing that comes to mind. Anytime. Every time.”

Christy
5 Cowboy Stars!

photo 2810825a-4daf-422f-ac9e-d8845189d045_zps0959fdaa.jpg

Twenty two year old Ivey and her brother move around a lot. They go from town to town, do their thing, then they get out. Thats how it works for them. Ivey has her rules...
No connections. Play it safe.
When she meets Grayson Cody, things start to change. Grayson has lived in Mustang his entire life. His family owns a ranch (well, it’s his now) and he loves it there. One night, he’s at the local bar and he sees her. Ivey. He’s never seen anything more beautiful. Then she gets int
Anna

Say you love me, Ivey.

I love you, Gray.

I loved this book !!! I reckon I love me some Grayson Cody too ❤️❤️❤️ swoon, serious swoon ! Read this book KA never fails ❤️
Karen
5 STARS

photo 1278b53800e57a643ec291258574f088.jpg

Another Kristen Ashley masterpiece of ALPHA perfection!!!!! And it was just what the doctor ordered for my recently book-broken heart. Although, I have to admit there were a few moments there about halfway through where I thought I just might not make it through. Yes… it wasn’t all hearts and flowers… (view spoiler) And I was NOT HAPPY.

But, sometimes who we are and who we become depends on those sentinel events that shape our lives, bot
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
3 1/2 stars

Play It Safe is another great book by Kristen Ashley. The characters are likable and endearing, the plot intriguing, the romance enticing, and, of course, the epilogue fabulous! I did, however, find myself putting this book down often, and I struggled trying to reconnect with the older, more worldly Ivey. Other than that, Play It Safe is a delightful read.

If you're already a Kristen Ashley addict, or interested in checking out her books, be sure to stop by our Kristen Ashley Addict's
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
"I know somethin' led you to that life but I look at you, nothin' hard about you, not your attitude, not your mouth, not your eyes, nothin'. Whatever led you to that life wasn't good but you didn't let it make you hard. There'll come a time when you'll give that to me. And you take your time, Ivey, I'll wait."

I really wanted this story to shine but it didn't.

I think this is the best "quote" of Play it Safe. Recently I said that Kristen put me straight to reader's heaven. I know she does it all t
Jill

When twenty-two year-old Ivey Bailey rolls into Mustang, Colorado she's found a place to call home for the first time in her life. Her mantra 'Play It Safe' means no connections, no roots, keep moving. Ivey and her older brother Casey have been on the run for ten years. Casey has been looking out for Ivey since she was twelve. But Casey's priorities have shifted over the years, and now instead of protecting her he uses Ivey to hustle, to bring in much-needed cash.

Grayson Cody is a local rancher
Brandi
4-4.5 Stars
I simply adored Gray and Ivey's story. A nice story line, with romance, humor, steam, and a little mystery. Both main characters were likable, and in typical KA fashion there are some kickass secondary characters (Lash, Brutus and Booker <3).

Ivey and her brother Casey have been living on the road for a while - making money by hustling pool and moving from town to town. Then she meets Grayson Cody and everything changes.

“How can one day you have next to nothing and then a week an
Blacky *Romance Addict*
4,5 Stars :)

Well, KA certainly knows how to write emotions. This one was gut wrenching. It starts with the past, we learn about Ivey, what she does for a living and why she keeps everyone out. She meets Grey and they fall in love <3 But beware, this is not a gushy mushy falling in love, through the first half of the book you know what is going to happen ( (view spoiler) ) so everything that they do, every beautiful scene, every happy one is just heartbreak
Kirsten
4.5 Hells Bells stars!

photo imagejpg1_zps6f697ceb.jpg

Whenever you dive into a Kristen Ashley book you know you are going to read a beautiful story with a sweet alpha hero, and a heroine you'd want as a friend. Mix in some drama, love, heartache, and humor, and you get a really great read. Play it Safe definitely delivered...yet again for me.

At twenty-two, Ivey Bailey has no roots and nothing to call her own. When she was twelve, she escaped from home with her older brother, Casey. Moving from town to town across the countr
Gina
I know I sound like a broken record, but I love KA books. This was awesome, sweet, heartbreaking and hot! It crushed me when they were pulled apart from each other. Gray was passionate, caring and protective, but he had a quiet strength as well that ran deep. What I really loved is how he didn't give Ivey any grief when she helped him out with the ranch and his grandma (well not much). He totally had enough confidence in himself to not let that get him twisted, and no huge knock down, drag out f ...more
Kinsey
4 HEART-WRENCHING STARS!!!!!

… if I could connect, if I could let go, if I could take a risk, I’d do it with him. In all my wandering, all I’d seen, all the people I’d met, he would be the one I’d smile at and do it without a guard up.
He be the one I’d want to smile back at me.

“Say you love me, Ivey.”
“I love you, Gray.”

There is so much to love about this book. It was romantic, heartbreaking, breathtaking, and tragic all at the same time. It's one of those books that you have a really hard time
AJ
Loved it! What an absolute swoon-fest!!!

As much as I love all of Kristen Ashley’s Alphas, I think she has managed to create the perfect man in Grayson Cody who, apart from being gorgeous, loving, sensitive, sweet and protective, has “the best wild west rancher cowboy name in history”. Apparently he also looks amazing in a pair of chaps (nice!). I absolutely loved him. He was such a gentleman, was never over the top with his Alpha-ness, never behaved like a jerk; he was honest and open, and he lo
KatLynne
Revised

This book has been lurking around in my mind all weekend. Confined to my bed with the terrible stomach flu and being too sick to even read, it came to me that my rating of 3.5 stars was due more to comparing this book to others I've read by KA. Stepping back and viewing it on it's own merit it is easily 4 star read for me.

There were elements about this story that I loved. And yet, there were parts that slowed and didn't hold my attention.. From the very first chapter, I was intrigued and
Smitten's Book Blog

Ugh, every girl needs a Grayson Cody! My God. The man is a walking cowboy GOD! Just to start with... Grayson Cody, I mean, come on?! How 'hot cowboy' is that?! Seriously made me want my very own 'macho man cowboy rancher'.

On to the book itself, we'll come back to Gray. I found the writing hard to get my head around at first. The way the dialogue flows and the way some things are written kept pulling me out of my book world and making me focus on the words on the page rather than the movie reel i
Stephanie
Ms Ashley you've done it again!!!!

I loved this book! What an amazing emotional roller coaster with one of the best epilogues I think that I've ever read.

I pretty much fell in love with Grayson and Ivey right off the bat. I liked that Ivey listened to Gray and did what he asked and managed to be a strong character anyway. Gray was all alpha, but not over the top.

Several reviews I've read mention that something was missing for them in this book, so I was afraid I would come away with the same fee
~IreneOust~♥s~Søren~Ben O'Callahan~Joe Callahan~Nick Pagano~Spin~Deacon~Isaac~Carlo~
Nikki
4 stars.

(I've had a rough 24 hours so this will be short and sweet.)

I loved it. There were some areas where I struggled; but the melancholy, the emotion, the fabulous writing outweighed the slow moving bits. However the slow moving bits did create a bit of a barrier between me and Ivey. This meant at times I couldn't identify with her "voice" which led to me feeling disembodied from her.

Once we hit around 45% though it was all systems go with Gray and Ivey being forced apart, Ivey's devastation
Jennifer Kyle
Hells Bells!!!

description

Grayson Cody, a macho man rancher cowboy who falls for a pool shark Ivey and their story takes a lot of twists and turns. Ivey takes a chance and doesn't play it safe and Gray? He gives her everything but they get played and they are torn apart for seven years.. yes seven years. Great supporting characters and just a great story!

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict
Oct 20, 2012 Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Shelves: kristen_ashley
Needed a KA fix for my withdrawals so I am rereading this one (I think this is the only KA book that I've read just once and it's been awhile).

** Just as good 2nd time around!! Love the epilogue!!
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
4.5 - 5 MACHO MAN RANCHER COWBOY STARS

Ivey Bailey and her brother Casey are in the small town of Mustang, Colorado. Ivey wants to leave as soon as possible because she knows this is the type of town she's always thought could be a place she could settle and the guy are the bar, Grayson "Gray" Cody, is a guy she could fall for, if she didn't Play it Safe .

But she doesn't play it safe. You see Ivey has a special talent.

description

When the town rich guy and bully bets Ivey he can beat her, she takes the bet
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Well it's been a few days since I finished this book and I still can't stop thinking about it.

I absolutely loved this book.

Gray and Ivey are really wonderful characters that I just adored. I really connected with both of them and I laughed, cried and at times my heart broke for these two and their forced separation.

My stomach was in knots during parts of this book and I had to ring a bookclub gal pal (thanks Sali) to get me through during a certain part of the book. I was that emotional.

Kristen
Cindy
Another 5 huge stars book from Kristen Ashley. Up near the top of my stack now and seriously, probably the most swoony hero yet. How can you be that sweet and that alpha? It's a mystery, but Grayson Cody is all of that and so much more.

I saved this book until the tail of my KA marathon because I was a little apprehensive about the cowboy aspect. Boy was I wrong. This book truly reminded me of what we love best about YA books lately. It's the story of Ivey and her journey as a young woman and ho
Melanie
4-4.5 stars

'Play It Safe' was, for me, a very emotional story. Like some other Kristen Ashley books, this is a "second-chance-at-love" story where the hero and heroine, due to unfortunate circumstances not under their control, spend years apart before reuniting.

What's different about 'Play It Safe' is that, unlike in 'For You' and 'Fairytale Come Alive' where the story essentially begins after a 20 year hiatus, we actually get Ivey and Gray's story before separation, some bits during their year
Lisa
This sums up my feelings on this book.

photo tumblr_l6e6veYr4W1qbpcsf_zpse5a6a774.gif

Does it make sense if I describe a book as 'too wordy' ?????

Here's what I enjoyed about the book:

The first half of the story was really good and I immediately sucked into Ivey and Gray's relationship. I felt for Ivey and what her life had become. Gray was a true KA alpha male. He never changed who he was throughout the whole book. Their love story in the beginning felt so romantic. The hand they were dealt that caused their separation was heartbreaking. I
Kara
Nov 25, 2013 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kara by: Christy Baldwin
Shelves: favorites
Hells Bells this is another winner from KA!

A cowboy that rides a horse and calls her Dollface... I couldn't bust through the chapters fast enough.
Of course Ashley brought the sexy, smitten, and a great build up.
I swooned, I cried, I swooned again!

This is one of those books I had to put down - because I didn't want it to end! I had to take a break to sleep so I could dream of Grayson Cody!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
Ms. Ashley has outdone herself once again. I fell completely head over heals with Gray and Ivey's story. What a wonderful book and another favorite to add to my growing list.
Plamena
3 Stars. Sigh.

Well...I feel a little disappointed. This is the first book I read from Kristen Ashley. I expected to love it because I have read sooo many amazing reviews of her books. Unfortunately it did not happen.

Play It Safe is a story about a sweet and troubled girl (Ivey) that is on the run with her brother. They don’t stay long, basically live day by day and have one rule- no connections. They play it safe. This is until Ivey meets a hot cowboy (Grayson Cody) who is ready to show her tha
Kristen Ashley Ad...: Play it Safe (Stand Alone) 79 756 May 20, 2014 02:39PM
Ivey's description 6 68 Feb 24, 2014 01:59AM
Kristen Ashley Ad...: Play It Safe 2/1/13 20 154 Feb 11, 2013 08:36AM
  • Color of Forgiveness (Color, #2)
  • A Reason to Kill (Reason, #2)
  • Sweet Seduction Serenade (Sweet Seduction, #2)
  • Behold the Stars (Signal Bend, #2)
  • Dancing on Coals
  • What Price Paradise
  • Razing Kayne (Walking a Thin Blue Line, #1)
  • Skin Deep (I-Team, #5.5)
  • A Reclusive Heart (Hollywood Hearts, #2)
  • Star Crossed (Battered Hearts, #2)
  • A Christmas to Remember (Lucky Harbor, #8.5; Chaos, #2.5; Last Chance, #6.5; Everson, Texas, #0.5; Tallgrass, #1.5)
  • From Rags
  • The Missing Link (Marked, #1)
  • Axel (Corps Security, #1)
  • Allure (Spiral of Bliss, #2)
  • Officer off Limits (Line of Duty, #3)
  • Cowgirl Up and Ride (Rough Riders, #3)
Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!).

Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends a
More about Kristen Ashley...
Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) Motorcycle Man (Dream Man, #4) The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1)

“You still fallin’ in love with me?... ‘Cause you should know, baby, I’m already gone for you” 56 likes
“I loved you then. I love you now. I’ve loved you every day for seven years.” 39 likes