3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Now toddlers can dive into counting with this board book edition of one of Lois Ehlert’s most popular books. With cutout fish eyes to touch and an energetic fish friend to guide them, they’ll have so much fun they won't even notice they’re learning!
Board Book, 40 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fish Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fish Eyes

Britt Guild
I love Lois Ehlert's bright and colorful pictures. The pictures of fish jump out of the page and my daughter loves counting each fish eye. There is a rhythm to the book where we almost turn each page to a beat. My preschool daughter has learned book concepts by just wanting to turn each page. We enjoy reading and counting together as we anticipate the last line of the book, "all of those fish eyes looking at me."

This pictures in this picture book are so vivid and clear that it is a great book to...more
Kristy Breese
What? This book encourages children to pretend that they turn into a fish. Children will have fun counting from 1-10 as they count the brightly colored fish.

So What? Again, I love the vibrant, bright colors that Ehlert uses in her books. Children will enjoy reading this book.

Now What? This might be a fun book to use during a math unit. I might be able to use it during an oceanography unit as well.
Kelly
A pretty good concept book for counting, also good for teaching prediction, however some fish are hard to see and count even when they are suppose to be obvious. Somewhat bad execution in the illustration because of a lack of sufficient contrast. Not as attractive as the Circus book by Ehlert.
Becca Buckman
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On was written by Lois Ehlert. This story fits into the concept genre of picture books. Come travel a sea of reading, swimming, counting and learning with the numerous fish characters presented throughout. This book uses many mathematical concepts to help students with counting and numbers as well as words and rhyming.

a.) A strength of Ehlert’s book is presented in the different types of fish seen swimming in the story which help keep the reader interested and int...more
Laurie
Citation: Fish Eyes, by Lois Ehlert. (Harcourt Inc., 2001). 40p. Counting Book.

Summary: Vibrant fish swim through this book from one to ten. Eye cutouts reappear at the end of the text inviting the reader to wish to be a fish.

Critique: (a.) The illustrations make this book exciting and fun.

(b.) Each page shows colorful, paper collage illustrations. These illustrations dominate the page, but if you look closely, a small dark green fish invites the reader to add on to each set. The numbers are wri...more
Ashton Livsey
Genre: Children’s Picture Book, Counting
Summary: This book tells of fish and counts from 1 fish up to ten fish.
Critique: a) The best part of this book are the illustrations.
The book begins by talking about the details of a fish. A fish would have scales, fins, and tails. During these beginning pages many different types of fish are swimming about. As the book begins to count fish, the pictures focus on different types of fish. The fish may be different shaped from page to page but stay the sam...more
Danielle
When I read the title of this book, “Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On,” I wasn’t sure what to expect. Were we going to be counting fish eyes? However, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading this book about counting from 1 to 10. At the start of the story, the author invites the reader to join her on an adventure underwater and “put on a suit of scales, add some fins and one of these tails …, and turn into a beautiful fish.” Once the reader has become a fish, they go on a journey to cou...more
Melissa
By: Lois Ehlert

All the cute fish help little children learn to count. The fish are colorful and fun. The story helps children count one through ten.

Critique:
A. The area for critique is the illustration and the format.
B. This is a cute story of fish. The eyes are cut out and this gives children something tangible to touch and help them count. The illustrations are extremely bright. It looks as though the author has cut these out and pasted them together to cre...more
Heidi
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count on by Lois Ehlert ( Harcourt Brace & Company 1990) 34 P. Counting Picture Book

Summary - What would you be if you could be anything in the world? Follow the wish of someone wanting to be a fish. As the plain fish travels the ocean, it gathers more followers which leads to a colorful, counting adventure.

Critique – The concept behind the main character in the book.

(B) Beside teaching kids to count, this book proves that leaders come in all shapes and sizes. Som...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library today. He still likes his counting books.

Fish Eyes is not my favorite Lois Ehlert book, but it still is a Lois Ehlert book, so it is still good and well worth checking out.

I prefer when Ehlert's books have a bit more of a story, like Top Cat. This book felt like an excuse to creative pretty fish -- a very good excuse, but still an excuse all the same.
Emily Calzi
"Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On" written and illustrated by Lois Ehlert is about a plain grey fish who shows us what he would see if he "[flipped] down rivers and splash in the sea" if he was beautiful. He would see all different kinds of fish. This book would be great to use in a math lesson because each page shows a certain amount of fish, and in the corner the fish includes for example, "9 flashy fish plus me makes 10." The illustrations were very simple, which was good for a counting boo...more
Curtis Hudson
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On by Lois Ehlert is a delightful counting book for preschoolers-1st graders. It starts with "If I could put on a suit of scales, add some fins and one of these tails, I'd close my eyes and then I'd wish that I'd turn into a beautiful fish." The book then follows this fish as it encounters other fish, some striped and some smiling, starting with one fish and ending with ten. I particularly liked that in the corner of each page is a simple addition problem. For exa...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A fun and fishy counting book with bright bold colors on navy blue pages.

Theme: WI Fish
Additional themes: fish, counting, eyes

Reviewed from a library copy.
Dani Paiz
This book is great for introducing counting and math. I'd recommend it for ages 2-5. It's also good for phonological awareness and print awareness.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney

Fish Eyes A Book You Can Count On

Lois Ehlert

Harcourt

1990

This review and more can be found on Get Kids to Read. www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

What do you call a fish with no eyes? Fshhhhh. Fish Eyes is a counting book by Lois Elhert. Since 1990 this has been one of the classic counting books used in classrooms and school libraries across the country. This is a very clever done counting book that gives the opportunity for the parent/reader/teacher to use the book to teach the child how to count. This i...more
Kelly
Fish Eyes: a book you can count on written and illustrated by Lois Ehlert, is a rhyming and counting book. Ehlert tells a story of herself imagined as a fish swimming down stream to meet many different fish, and at the end of this journey she is seen by all of the fish eyes.
It has very bright and poignant illustrations where only the colorful fish are seen against a dark blue backdrop.
I recommend this book for preschool age students because of is simple counting theme and I give it 4 of 5 star...more
Rachel
Fish Eyes is a great book for younger children! The fish are brightly colored and stand out on the deep blue background. The eyes of the fish are punch out so you can see through them. This book is also great to use as a teaching tool. Students can learn how to count from one to ten. The fish are different colors, sizes, and shapes. This book could also be used for kindergartens or first graders when learning how to add. At the bottom of each page the fish that is telling the story adds himself...more
Molly
A great counting book with beautiful and colorful illustrations.
Erin
Simple, colorful counting book. Good for toddler storytimes.
Use for simple addition.

Use for ocean/water theme.

This is such a great book. I am in love with the illustrations and the way the story progresses. The children loved to follow the small fish through the story and help him add each fish that he met along the way. This is a great introduction to simple counting and addition. I used this book for a kindergarten lesson. I will always keep a copy of this book! I love the creativity that is present in each page. The fish eyes are fun to watch change a...more
Stefani Jerina
Friend's son enjoys flipping through this one! :)
Rosa
A nice counting concepts book.
Brandi
A brightly, interestingly illustrated counting and simple addition book. Love the fish illustrations. Good read aloud.
Carrie
I really enjoyed reading this book. It talks about fish and it counts from one fish to ten fish. I really liked the pictures and illustrations of the book, it stood out to me most and I am sure it would stick out to young children too. In the beginning talks about the fishes fins and scales. The colors of the fish change which is creative. Also the fish are big so the kids can look at the details of each individual fish.
Julie
This book would be great for any classroom or preschool. Throughout the book kids can enjoy counting the brightly colored fish on each page that goes up a number when counting the fish. So, this would be a great book to use when teaching counting because the children can easily visualize the fish. I think these fish could also be recreated in the classroom, which would be a fun activity for the children.
Antonia
This book is a great treat to add to a class. It allows the students to make a wish. You could create an entire lesson around making a wish. What would you do or be. Would you be a fish like the author wanted to be, if so what would you see? This is a great lesson to explore creative thinking. You could also add a drawing element to allow the children to draw their new world and show it to the class.
Mikailah Shackleford
This book is a counting book and has very colorful pictures. The book has the reader do simple addition problems. It also helps younger children count from one to ten. Something that was cool about this book is on the corner of the pages there was a simple addition problem for the reader to do. This book is educational and fun!
Gordon Pennington
Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On is a book with vivid illustrations that, at the title implies, helps young students learn to count various things (whether it be fish eyes, fins, etc). The colors of the illustrations will certainly draw students' attentions; this would be a great addition to any classroom as a learning tool.
Elaine
Great book about numbers with colorful illustrations of fish. I read this book twice for a single person storytime. Each young child were intrigued with the colors, actions and quantity of characters in each page. The kids were observant, responsive and enjoyed counting. The book could be used for a variety of settings.
Ben Coulter
I really liked this [icture book. It is a good teaching tool to teach young children counting skills. There was two things that stand out with this book.
1-Awesome colors, this is one of the most colorful books i've seen
2-Each page has some unique cutouts to make this book unique and fun for young readers.
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Ten Little Fish
  • Big Fat Hen
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Feast for 10
  • Flower Garden
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Five Little Ducks
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Little Tug