Start by marking “Claws and Effect (Diaries of an Urban Panther, #2)” as Want to Read:
Claws and Effect (Diaries of an Urban Panther, #2)

Claws and Effect (Diaries of an Urban Panther #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Violet Jordan Rule #2 of being a superhero: Find reliable sidekicks

Dear Diary,

Once I took down Haverty, the Primo of the city, I thought life was going to get better. After four assassination attempts, I’m thinking not so much. Haverty’s pack needs a new leader and I’ve just about run out of reasons why I’m not right for the job. Besides, having loyal followers would defin
Published December 27th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Claws and Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claws and Effect

Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

I can’t believe the bad guys aren’t really bad and in fact turn into heroes. Who does that kind of thing? Ms. Arista does in her latest tale that proves that sequels really can be as good as the original. In fact, except for the heroine, Violet, and the hero, Chaz and a few of Violet’s friends, everyone else is brand new or just about. Truthfully, Claws and Effect is even better because now I know who I’m dealing with – or so I though
Nadine

I'm maybe a tiny bit in love with this series? *lol* Last year,the first book was one of the biggest surprises for me because I didn't expect it to be this good. Now book 2 was another surprise because it was as good as the first one and especially in the paranormal genre,that doesn't happen too often (or maybe I'm just reading the wrong books ^^).
First of all,Violet is a heroine after my liking. She kicks some serious ass but she also makes mistakes. But instead of moping around she at
Molly
Dec 29, 2011 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: Goddess Fish Tours
Amanda Arista is now among the many talented authors that I'm happy to say are on my favorite authors list. Now, I'll admit, when I sat down to read this awesome book, the first chapter had me a little confused. I just wasn't sure where the author was going with the story. But, after that, wham! She hit me with complex characters, and fantastic written plot line that will leave the reader spinning and ready for more, by the time the reach the ending.

Violet Jordan, werepanther. Now THAT is a char
Melindeeloo
I liked this second Urban Panthers story. Most of the story is Violet adapting to her new powers and dealing with the void that killing of the big bad of the previous story left in Violet's home town. With her maker trapped behind the Veil, Violet is the supernatural heir-apparent. Violet fights taking on the job of Prima to the pack that has been left foundering by Haverty's defeat, but her innate compassion finds her taking on the stray 'dogs' who were the ones harrying her and Jessica last go ...more
Douglas Meeks
NOTE: I am posting this same review for all three books since this is a trilogy and reading ANY of the books alone would be a confusing and dismal activity :) - dcm

Diaries of an Urban Panther Series
By
Amanda Arista

Diaries of an Urban Panther
Claws and Effect
Nine Lives of an Urban Panther

While NOT officially part of the trilogy, this story closes the loop on one of the characters after the events in the trilogy
“First Dates Are Hell” from Vampires Gone Wild

Summary:
Violet Jordan Rule #1 of being a s
Cocktails and Books
Dear reviewer,

Please be sure to read book 1 in the series before delving into book 2.

This was a very entertaining, fast paced read that, once I got passed the fact that I was missing certain pieces of the story from not reading the first book, had me flipping pages furiously to see what happened next.

Violet Jordan finds herself having to outwit would be assassins around every corner, train a "new" panther on what to expect from the next couple of months, figure out what to do with the pack of d
Shelley
Claws and Effect is the second book in the Diaries of an Urban Panther series, featuring Violet Jordan. It’s written in first person, from Violet’s point of view. At the start of the story Violet is still struggling to come to terms with the power she received from Harvety. She constantly fights the magic that swirls in her and resists entreaties from other shapeshifters who want her to run the pack.

Sometimes it’s possible to read series out of order, but with this one you definitely need to rea
Mandy Sickle
*** Spoiler from book 1***This book is about Violet Jordan who six month ago was attacked by a shapeshifter who happened to be a panther but it wasn't a freak attack it was planned. So Violet is still learning to deal with being a shapeshifter, in the first book she kills the pack leader Haverty a very evil man and his son also evil is banned to a fairy prison in a mirror. In book two Violet is dealing with being because she is now the leader of the pack. She's been avoiding taking control becau ...more
Ami Squirrel Girl
There are a few authors that came to mind as I was reading these books; Charlaine Harris, Julia Kenner and Patricia Briggs to name but a few. It had that sweet exciting thrill of a good chick lit paranormal read you just love to curl up on the sofa on a cold do-nothing day with.

The editing could have used a bit more fine-tuning and there were a few spots of missing logic that had me shaking my head, (nothing to do with the supernatural aspects of the tale, of course, just mundane things like ch
Melinda
Excellent story. Great characters, great story and so much action it's hard to stop reading. So much happened in this book and am sure there will be so much more to come in the next one. I can't wait!

Now, to the questions and observations:
1) I love the Violet gives the "bad" guys the benefit of the doubt.
2) When will she meet the "mecca" lady again.
3) How is she going to handle getting married, learning her abilities and securing Dallas?
4) Will Tyler return to the group and forgive Violet?
5) W
Maya
It was much better than the first. It had more action, more twist and turns that were unexpected.
Violet and Chaz are driven apart by unexpected forces - his boss. They want Violet to mate with another panther but luckily the new panther in town grows a pair and tells the truth but not before Violet sees Chaz in a rather comprised situation.
An air elemental is trying to be the new Boss and will stop at nothing to end Violet.
Violet finally decides to be a real Prima and takes under her wings th
Nicole
3.5 Stars

A lot happened in this story, and certain things didn't work so well for me. I think that there's enough material here for two books, and maybe the author would have been better served to divide the book as such. Also, if this book was edited, the editor needs to be fired; typos, word omissions, homophone confusion, and the like abounded. It was especially noticeable because I used the "text-to-speech" function of my Kindle; it's distracting to hear "suite" when you know that that autho
Laura Carson
Amanda Arista has done it again. Bringing a new twist to the shifter table. A witty and kick ass heroine along with unforgettable supporting characters. Intense and action packed storyline.
The editing was horrible and a bit distracting but I can't let that affect my rating and take away from this book. Still made it to my favorites lists. I hope we have many more Violet Jordan adventures in our future. I know they will definatley be on my pre-order list!
Jenni Ebba
Okay much better than the first! I thought Violet and Charles show a lot more personality in this one and not only because they take their romance to the next level. The character growth from the previous novel to this one is quite evident. I think the author's writing and world building has also gotten better with just one novel and it really shows.
Not much else to say except that these are fun easy reads and I can't wait to see what this author can do next. :)
Mel
I love the direction that this series is going and can’t wait to see what’s in store for Violet and her boys next. I give Claws and Effect 4.5 stars. Full review can be found here: http://www.smashattackreads.com/2012/...
Teri
I was so thrilled to see this second installment of the Diaries of and Urban Panther series.
Amanda Arista has created a great cast of characters struggling to survive in a harsh hunted world and still keep themselves and their own relationships together.
The characters are fabulous and their trials and errors make a fantastic cast.
Kayla
I was hooked when the first book came out. I couldn't wait for Claws and Effect, and I really hope she continues. This story kept me wanting more. The only draw back I found would be the errors. It should have been proof read better.
Lindsey
I really like this series and can't wait to read the next book. Violet does a lot of growing in this book and starts figuring out she is more than she ever thought she was or could be.
Celia
some seriously bad copy editing, mostly homophones and wrong words. felt like the ebook had been made from a non-final draft. but I persevered and found it worth the work.
Brandy Kruse
I love this version of a pack or pride! This is now one of my favorite world building series!
Andrea(CatchTheFever) Daniels
Great book absolutely love the series, but all of the spelling mistakes in them bother me a little.
Roxanne
I really missed Chaz in this book but I'm glad everything worked out in the end.
Erin
4.5

Addicting, heartwarming, romantic action adventure. I love Violet!
Ang from OZ
I really love this series, and on to book 3 already!!
JoAnn Sweasey
JoAnn Sweasey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
colleen
colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Cursed Embrace (Weird Girls, #2)
  • Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1)
  • Darkness of the Wolf (Draicon Werewolves, #4)
  • Shifty Magic (Shifty Magic, #1)
  • A Witch's Path (Witch for Hire #2)
  • Compelled (Coveted, #3)
  • Yours, Mine and Howls (Werewolves in Love, #2)
  • Playing with Darkness (The Sensor, #3.5)
  • Unseen (The Heights, #1)
  • The Last Slayer (The Heartstone Trilogy #1)
  • Blood Guilt (Blood Hunters, #1)
  • Kissed by Fire (Sunwalker Saga, #2)
  • Green Eyed Envy (Shades of Fury, #2)
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence # 1)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Loving Her (Keeping Her #2)

Diaries of an Urban Panther (3 books)
  • Diaries of an Urban Panther (Diaries of an Urban Panther #1)
  • Nine Lives of an Urban Panther  (Diaries of an Urban Panther #3)
Diaries of an Urban Panther (Diaries of an Urban Panther #1) Nine Lives of an Urban Panther  (Diaries of an Urban Panther #3) Vampires Gone Wild (Vamp City, #1.5; Love at Stake, #13.5; Diaries of an Urban Panther, #3.5)

“I wondered if it was part of his superhero package: quick healing, überstrength, superspeed, and the ability to leap over problems in our relationship in a single bound.” 1 likes