Start by marking “Word and Deed” as Want to Read:
Word and Deed

Word and Deed

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Death or an arranged marriage, Verity refuses to accept the choices.

Verity Favian's father dies unexpectedly. Her half-brother, Verdon, lays claim to all their father left behind: title, castle, and her. Verdon cannot touch the land set aside for her dowry so he offers her hand for sale to the highest bidder. Lord Silvanticus, a man renowned for his military power and clos
ebook
Published January 12th 2012 by Rachel Rossano (first published January 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Word and Deed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Word and Deed

Do Hard Things by Alex  HarrisBefore You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah MallyMaking Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah MallyI Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisEragon by Christopher Paolini
Books by Homeschoolers
124th out of 234 books — 153 voters
Resistance by Jaye L. KnightDraven's Light by Anne Elisabeth StenglPoison Crown by Anne Elisabeth StenglGolden Daughter by Anne Elisabeth StenglThe King's Scrolls by Jaye L. Knight
Christian Independently-Published Books
94th out of 188 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Tifferz
I highly recommend this powerful story of love and learning to trust. Rachel has crafted a wonderful romance packed with mystery, murder, a crazy abusive brother and a hero that is unforgettable . I consumed Word and Deed in one sitting and I had a smile on my face, satisfied with the story and ending. I did not want to say goodbye to Bryn and Verity. I only wish the story was longer. Maybe even just an epilogue with them a few years down the road. This is a clean heartwarming story. I can't wai ...more
Suzana
I really enjoy Rachel Rossano's writing. Instead of "telling" a story, she "shows" you and you can't help but be pulled in and immersed in the worlds she creates. The only complaint I have is that they are too short, which is also probably a good thing...lol. Otherwise, I would lose myself in her worlds and not want to come back to reality.
TJ
4.5/5.0

Absolutely fabulous storytelling! This story has everything a romance reader dreams of - except the length to turn it into a can't-put-down keeper and that's the very frustrating part.
Jaimey
Jan 14, 2012 Jaimey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sweet romance fans
My rating: 4.7 of 5 stars
Sensitive readers warning: None. There's no language, no graphic violence, and no graphic sex.

In case it matters to you: I know the author; she happens to be a good reading/writing/cover designing buddy of mine. So I got to read this before it came out and I liked it so much that I bought it. And no, I do not buy all the books written by my friends, just so you know. I'm too poor (i.e., cheap) for that.

That said, I loved it! It was sweet, gritty, fast-paced, and impos
Ana

Reviewed for InD'Tale magazine. The review can be found here.
Tara Chevrestt
I was really impressed by this novelette. At first, I thought how strong can a woman trapped in a tower be? And I was immensely pleased and surprised when she turned out quite strong indeed.

Even though she knows she'll be slapped and beaten, Verity speaks the truth, about her brother, her father's death, her feelings. It is what gets her thrown in the tower.

She's truly fearless though, even when a man shows up in the garden...and when presented with knives, she doesn't screech and run away, but
Roseanne Wilkins
As a busy mother with small children, Rachel knows well the value of a mother's time. She is able to create wonderful stories that feel complete in a few short chapters. Verity is a strong female character. She is drawn to Bryn, a soldier connected to the company of her betrothed. Rachel has plenty of action and romance wrapped up in a tight package. Highly recommended.
Kathy
A fun, quick escape. I wish it were longer and the plot/characters were a little more developed. I enjoyed it though.
Penelope Bartotto
First, it is important to make this perfectly clear... this is a short story, a novella, not a full length novel. With that in mind, my first statement... more, please, I would really like some more.
What is good about this novella? So much. There is a great cast of characters, a solid story with a grand plot. There are details that so many when writing a short story, tend to think are unimportant and let slip away. Rossano doesn't do this, she packs her punch solidly and seriously leaves you wis
Shantelle
Word and Deed is a quick and captivating story telling of Verity, a young woman in the cruel hands of her murderous half-brother, and doomed to an arranged marriage to man she's never met. She must chose who to trust with her words, and her heart, in this tale.

As I mentioned, it was a fast read. I read it all through almost in one sitting. Thoroughly entertaining and quite sweet, with a dash of chill and evil plots, it was definitely worth it! :)

It was a clean read, though the romance would c
Donna
I would have given it more stars but it was too short. I wanted more!
Peggy
A quick, fun read.
Kimberly
This was a quick read. A true short story, but one that I enjoyed.

Plot - Grade B+

I enjoyed the plot. It was simple and straightforward in a couple areas to the point where it was really easy to guess the ending. However, short stories tend to be predictable due to the restricted amount of plot twists and layers. What I really like is that there is a whole story contained within the 48 pages. The ending resolves the pertinent matters while allowing the reader to imagine a pleasant future.

Content
Sharon
This story is short and sweet. It is fantasy, almost fairytale-like, with a bit of medieval ambience thrown in. This tale is way too short. I wanted these characters to play out so many more scenes. It feels like I was only given a mere glimpse into their lives as though I had only seen the movie trailer and not the full length feature itself.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

A truly amazing story, even if a bit too short. Both Verity and our hero are very well-drawn and likable.

Read full review in the 2012 July/August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Beyond the Squee
This was a short story with heart.

After reading Duty: a novel of Rhynan, I immediately looked at more from Ms. Rossano and bought this one.

Another fun adventure! Just the right reading length of a cup of tea and a scone!
Sandie Mixa
It was a great way to pass the time in a dr. office waiting room. I liked the plot and the characters, but the shortness of the book (43 pp.) did detract from several things. Like developing the relationship. I found the descriptions of the scenery lacking and also some of the characters motives. I was confused about half the time.
Kathie (katmom)
This was a very short story. But I enjoyed it all the same!

A bit of drama, a bit of mystery, a bit of romance.

It was nice to sit inside on this blustery afternoon, a handful of Swedish Fish, a cup of half and half laced coffee...and read!

I really must check out more of Ms. Rossano's books!
Pat
I did really like the story so I would actually give it a 3 1/2 stars but I also have read Ms. Rossano's most recent book so I know she can write so much more and better.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
What time period does the book take place in? Or is it a fantasy?
The cover implies medieval or renaissance.
Trisha
short story. i read it and forgot to rate it but i remember thinking it was cute.
Tarah
Tarah marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I was born in the northern midwest to a missionary pastor and his wife. As the oldest of four, I learned to be mature and responsible at an early age. That, however, did not prevent me from having constant flights of fancy. In my early teens, those flights of fancy began to make it to the page. I have always loved reading and constantly had my nose in a book growing up (fuel for those fanciful fli ...more
More about Rachel Rossano...
Duty (Rhynan #1) The Mercenary's Marriage The Crown of Anavrea Wren (The Romany Epistles) Honor (Rhynan #2)